Menu

Landlubber family going to the beach - what do we need to know?!

The Okies are hitting the beach in Destin, Florida - what do I need to know so we have a great vacation? Do I need to worry about undertow, etc. since it's on the Gulf? If I do need to worry, please tell me what I need to worry about! I'm so ignorant that I don't even know what I don't know. :)

Some of my friends told me that people go out looking for crabs at night.....true? Something we should do? But how?

Thanks for your advice!

Cyndi

The Okies are hitting the beach in Destin, Florida - what do I need to know so we have a great vacation? Do I need to worry about undertow, etc. since it's on the Gulf? If I do need to worry, please tell me what I need to worry about! I'm so ignorant that I don't even know what I don't know. :)

Some of my friends told me that people go out looking for crabs at night.....true? Something we should do? But how?

Thanks for your advice!

Cyndi

OMG, I was JUST talking about you! (Ok, Cheez, but close enough.) And here you are! How you been, girlfriend?? I miss you.

You need to worry about having a good time!

Seriously, there can be undertow, but usually there will be warnings if it is strong.

When you walk along the beach at night, there are crabs everywhere. Last time we were there, my nephew and Luke had a bucket full. Just head out with buckets and flashlights - it's a blast!

Just put on the sunscreen and enjoy! If you care to venture as far as Seaside, it is a fun little place to stroll around with great restaurants. I wish we were going to the beach, but Bud says not till the baby is a bit older. We love the FL panhandle beaches - they are really beautiful.

Have fun!

Destin is very nice. We used to go there many years ago. Yes, rip currents can be an issue there. Pay attention to life guard info or local news/weather. The sand is white sand. Some call it "sugar" sand because it is so white and grainy. Good news - it doesnt get super hot like northern dark sand. I remember many burning toes running to the towel on NC beaches!! I think you can burn quicker on white sand however. I have gotten my worst sunburns on the GUlf Coast. The sun is intense (remember you are closer to the Equator than up north) and the sand is light colored so it reflects. The water is also a neat green/blue color and is usually pretty clear. All that makes for prime sunburn! Enjoy Destin! I have very fond memories of my (then) toddler and her friends running up the beach and splashing in the waves!

Don't swim near people who are fishing. Seriously. Don't swim near bait (or bait fish swimming in small schools).

Don't worry about rip tides and undertows unless a warning is posted. But still, you should teach your family that if they are ever caught in one, not to fight it or try to swim to shore. Calmly swim parallel with the shore line. That's the key. Swim parallel with the shore line. Don't try to come in until you get out of the current. They should know this just like they know what to do in case of a fire, kwim?

The only other thing is that there is a lot of sand, and you will find it everywhere months after you get home. Just be prepared :).

If it's not too far out of the way on the drive down (or coming back), I'd plan to make it by Lambert's Cafe in Foley, Alabama (right at the Alabama/Florida border, about 8 miles south of I-10). Home of the Throwed Rolls and all... always worth a stop :).

Oh, and have LOTS of fun!! Report back with pictures!

Robin

Thanks for your advice!

Cyndi

Well, I'm not familiar with Destin, but ghost crabs are common on our Carolina Beaches. You don't have to do much to see them. Just go out when there is enough moonlight to see them and there they will be - running for their holes as you approach. My kids also use flashlights.

Also, get a tide chart (usually you can pick them up free somewhere - like a the hardware store or fish shops). Look and see when the tide is in and when it's out!

Hats, sunscreen, dive under the waves or jump up, don't go out a long way trying to get into deeper water until you figure out how to swim in the waves, buckets and shovels, a couple of good ones if you want to build a great sculpture, baby powder helps get the sand off of your feet, reapply sunscreen often, everything said in previous posts,...Have a great time!

Oooo have fun! Distin is so beautiful! We're headed to the beach, a different one, this weekend for a few weeks as well. Like everyone said, suncreeen and hats are your friends. If you can avoid the beach between 10-2 you'll be very happy. We usually hit the beach early take a long lunch/rest break and then head back out after two pm. Instead of a blanket, use a big sheet on the beach. It dries much more quickly and is easy to shake off as you need. If you're kids are "hunters" like mine, you might want to pick up a couple of cheap laundry bags (the mesh ones) for bringing shells and assorted finds back to your hotel/condo. It's easy to keep the "collection" in tact and to rinse it off before putting into the car for the ride home.

You've gotten great suggestions so far. (So, I know I'm mostly repeating here...)

Sunscreen. Lots & lots of sunscreen. Chapstick w/ sunscreen. And sunglasses.

Also, Land's End has some great (well-made/sturdy) swim shirts that provide great sunscreen protection. Sometimes they are nice to have on hand to protect skin from the sun!

If you or your kids have tender feet, make sure you have some sort of shoes for wearing into the water/on the sand -- flip flops don't really stay on when the waves are hitting you, though, lol. I say this because I find Gulf sand more grainy feeling & hard on my feet vs. Atlantic sand (I'm mainly used to being in the Charleston area). If you're sitting in direct sun all day & not wearing your shoes, flip them over so the insides won't be burning hot when you decide to put them on later.

Watch the lifeguard stands for info on the water/currents/conditions.

Stay away from fishermen, lines, & bait.

Take a bag w/ you to be a garbage bag in case you're not sitting near a trash can. And, please, take all trash w/ you when you leave the beach. (I can't believe how many litterbugs I see when we're at the beach.)

Cooler bag w/ lots of drinks & some snacks are a must. It's also nice to have an extra water bottle or two on hand for things like rinsing sand out of eyes, out of scrapes, etc....

Mesh bags are great for carrying things.

Some shovels & a bucket or some small plastic cups are great for castle-building. Small fishing nets w/ small holes are fun too, esp. if there are tidal pools.

Be prepared to see lots of tattoos. I never knew so many people had tattoos. You'll see it all at the beach! :D LOL.

Super-soft clothes & tees are really nice to have on hand, esp. if someone gets sun or sand burn. Soft things feel soooooo good at the end of the day.

Flashlights are great at night for walking on the beach, looking for crabs, etc.... Also, watch out for tourist traps (big holes that kids dig in the sand during the day that people trip in at night... hahaha).

A constellation chart is also nice at the beach because you often have a great view of stars in the night sky.

Have fun!

If it's not too far out of the way on the drive down (or coming back), I'd plan to make it by Lambert's Cafe in Foley, Alabama (right at the Alabama/Florida border, about 8 miles south of I-10). Home of the Throwed Rolls and all... always worth a stop :).

Mmm. Lambert's.

My in-laws live up 59 in Silverhill...:)

The beaches there are incredibly beautiful. The sand, the water, just gorgeous!

You've gotten lots of good information. I would add that there is a Krispy Kreme just over the bridge, if I recall correctly. You should look for the "hot now" sign and pull in.

Oh, and you'll find all kinds of little places that sell really awesome fresh shrimp for much less than you'd pay in stores in OK. And much better, trust me. So if you're staying in a place that has a kitchen, buy yourself some shrimp and have dinner in one night.

Lastly, I always take a container of baby powder to the beach. If you sprinkle it on your feet, legs, hair, other assorted sand covered body parts, the sand will flake right off. It's like magic. Just be careful that they don't breathe it in. But it will keep your car a lot cleaner. :001_smile:

How come I've never heard about the baby powder thing? And I live within an hour of the gulf!!!

When do you put it on? After the sunscreen? Do you have to reapply it every time you reapply sunscreen? And doesn't that get gooey, or do you wait for the sunscreen to dry first?

How come I've never heard about the baby powder thing? And I live within an hour of the gulf!!!

When do you put it on? After the sunscreen? Do you have to reapply it every time you reapply sunscreen? And doesn't that get gooey, or do you wait for the sunscreen to dry first?

Oh no. I don't use it until we're going home. We shake off what we can as we walk up the beach toward the car, and then do the baby powder thing as we're leaving the actual beach. I'm sorry for the confusion! :001_smile:

Beware.....beach is a LOT of work for mom, for everyone will be sandy and salty. Sand will be everywhere in hair in bathing suits etc. Bring lots of sun block, lots of water, watch out for what looks like cool bubbles on the shoreline they are man of war (I think that's what they are called) and they will sting and also, watch out for jelly fish OUCH oh and sand fleas. Take some time to enjoy the sunrises. Pay attention to the flags they do mean something. undertows etc.

There were lots of things I didn't know. I'm still thinking about one of your pieces of advice: do you avoid fisherman because the bait will attract unwanted fish (or sharks) or because you might get tangled in their hooks or because fishermen are smelly? Just kidding, fishermen homeschoolers! :)

This is very important:

If you bring a bag of goldfish/chips/pretzyls or whatever, DON'T let you kids stick your hand in the bag to get them! It will ruin the whole bag unless you like eating sand!

Pack little bags of snacks so if it gets sandy, you can give them another little bag. Eating on the beach can be very tricky!

Also in Florida (or I guess anywhere!) the seagulls will swoop in and pick food right out of your hand! (sandwiches, crackers, anything!) So just keep that in mind.

Also in Florida (or I guess anywhere!) the seagulls will swoop in and pick food right out of your hand! (sandwiches, crackers, anything!) So just keep that in mind.

Absolutely.

They are big old nervy rats with wings!

Keep little kids close to you when they're eating or else the gulls will think they can take the kid on, swoop down, and snatch the sandwich. And do not throw food to them, no matter what. It only encourages them. eww

There were lots of things I didn't know. I'm still thinking about one of your pieces of advice: do you avoid fisherman because the bait will attract unwanted fish (or sharks) or because you might get tangled in their hooks or because fishermen are smelly? Just kidding, fishermen homeschoolers! :)

The shark thing.

Last year, we were sitting out on our patio (10th floor or so) eating breakfast and saw three sharks coming in to play in the shallow waters that we had enjoyed the previous afternoon. There were two fishermen right in the middle of the beach, casting their lines. The sharks swam back out to where we couldn't see them, and then about 20 minutes later came in again. We changed our plans for the rest of the day, and didn't head down to the water until about 4pm.

That wasn't the first time we've seen sharks while at the beach, just the most recent.

Don't get completely freaked out if you see a shark, but do get out of the water! And stay out! There always seems to be some idiot on the beach who is trying to prove his manhood. :confused:

I second Lambert's. Yummy!

You might already be familiar with Lambert's, Cyndi; the original is in southwest MO (for some reason I'm thinking you are near Tulsa but that may be someone else).

Thanks for your advice!

Cyndi

Yes, crab-hunting is a favorite of the younger set. Be sure to take flashlights.

The last two times we've gone to Destin, the ocean has been just as still as a lake for a few hours and dh has rented a kayak and taken everyone out for a while (one or two at a time). That was lots of fun. Life jackets were provided.

We also did one of the dolphin-watching sunset tours last fall and we all had a great time and took some terrific pictures.

As far as the currents, if you're staying on or near a public beach, there will be a flag posted each day that reflects the condition of the water; you'll probably have a card in your room that tells what the different colors mean. I can't remember all the colors right now, but I do remember that red means stay out of the water! :D

You won't have to worry about hurricanes this time of the year. :001_smile:

Just typing this has made me want to get back to the beach! Hope you have a great time. :001_smile:

Stay away from bait because it attracts sharks. For the same reason, don't swim where small bait fish might be feeding/schooling. That would primarily be near piers and at trash lines (floating lines of seaweed, etc., that has snagged some debris... little bait fish are usually near/under that sort of thing... when dh had an offshore boat for fishing, we always kept an eye open for trash lines because we could always catch something near them - fish tend to check out shadows in the water). Sometimes fishermen thread their catch (through the mouths or gills) at the end of a long line that they tie off at their waist with a quick release gadget, and then float the catch far away from them. Threading the fish will cause the fish to bleed, and the blood attracts sharks, and the fish at the end of the line can not swim away... what a convenient meal! That's why the long line and the quick release gadget -- so if a shark comes and nabs your catch, he can swim away without you at the end of the line :). Don't let all this scare you - this is all basic precautionary stuff much like what you do when you're camping to avoid attracting bears. Just know to stay away from the piers, trash lines, and fisherman. And if you're in the water and a school of small fish swarm around you, you might want to move in a little closer. If you see a bunch of fish sorta leaping out of the water, all swimming in one direction, chances are they're being chased by something (not necessarily a shark, though).

Your risks are reduced the closer you are to shore (shallow water), by not wearing *anything* that is shiny or reflective (most fish have bright silver on them) and by staying out of breaking waves if the ocean is particularly rough (bigger fish go after smaller fish in the turbulence because the smaller fish don't have the same swimming power). The point is... there *are* sharks in the waters (just like there *are* bears in the woods), and you are trying to 1) stay away from their food source, and 2) do everything you can to not be mistaken for their food (by not dressing in the same colors, and by staying out of situations where the shark might not be able to see you clearly). Sharks don't naturally prey upon humans. Attacks happen when they think they're getting a fish and a human is in the way. I think just about every attack in the Destin area has been when the person was swimming VERY far out, or when they were swimming near fishermen/piers.

Ditto about the seagulls! I forgot about that! One time, we bought hot dogs at a stand, and seagulls swooped down and stole the weiners right out of our buns - with us holding the hot dogs IN our hands! LOL!! I felt like I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie!

REally, don't let me scare you about the sharks... you seemed to be asking for the basic precautions, so there they are. Just be mindful of them and you will be safe and have a great time! What a beautiful place the Destin beaches are!

Robin