Menu

Do you need the Activity book for SOTW?

Koerarmoca

I ordered the book finally. And might be getting the Audio Cd's and test booklet that I mistakenly bid on :lol: Thinking it was the books + test. Is the Activity book worth it? Or can I make up my own activities? I am penny pinching and if I can do my own thing I would rather go that route.

We didn't buy the activity book. We had a good atlas and globe so we could look up the places discussed. Apart from that, we mostly read aloud and discussed; we aren't a very hands-on family, however. I have some ideas in the side bar of my blog about extra reading to go with SOTW books 2-4. I didn't do a spreadsheet for 1, however.

Laura

You don't need it.

If you have a little bit of time, and an imagination for springboard ideas (neither of which is in my capacity right now) you don't need it. For history, there is a lot of good stuff available online. Myths, Maps and Marvels is a free curriculum you can have a look at.

If your wanting activities, I would suggest some maps from that time (a bit of a google should get you something) talking over the chapter in question, and googling ideas for what that chapters all about.

FWIW though, we are purchasing the audio CD and already have the activity guide that we plan to use a lot.

Another idea is that we mostly use ebook/pdf format. I read to the kids either of my kindle or for picture books off the computer, and we print some stuff for the whole year at the beginning, and others as we go.

When you have mutiple kids and children as young as mine, ebooks work in your favour, as a child can't get a hold of them and accidently wrinkle/tear a page of a book thats needed for another 5 years lol. And a lot of stuff I can find cheaper in that format AND theres no shipping fees..... or waiting, rofl, I dislike waiting :lol:

We use the extra reading suggestions and activity ideas. For us, it is almost as important as the book itself. Since we are new homeschoolers, I find the questions/answers/narration sections helpful as well. However with a bit of effort, you could certainly research similar extras.

We do like the activity guide too. It helps me as a springboard, as I don't have a lot of time to search for activities for each week. If I don't have an outline of things to do, I just won't do it and then activities are left behind. The girls like activities so much that I love to incorporate it into our history learning.

I suppose if you didn't care about activities or wanted to search for yourself for extra books, maps, coloring pages, and activity ideas, then you wouldn't need it. It just has so much information in it that it helps me greatly with all my other responsibilities.

We do like the activity guide too. It helps me as a springboard, as I don't have a lot of time to search for activities for each week. If I don't have an outline of things to do, I just won't do it and then activities are left behind. The girls like activities so much that I love to incorporate it into our history learning.

I suppose if you didn't care about activities or wanted to search for yourself for extra books, maps, coloring pages, and activity ideas, then you wouldn't need it. It just has so much information in it that it helps me greatly with all my other responsibilities.

:iagree:

You need it! :D

No really, it is what makes the curriculum IMO.

:iagree: The text alone is not complete imho... (while I am sure some use it alone and are happy with it, it would not be enough for us) We added the AG and LOTS of books.

Can you do your own thing without the AG? Yes. Would you want to? I think that depends on what you want for history.

The AG has reading lists, maps, colouring pages, activity suggestions, review questions and narration samples. I would have to spend an awful lot of time coming up with all of these things for each and every chapter, and in some cases I'd feel lost on where to start. I figure my time is worth way more than the $20 I spent on the book. Also, having it all there for me means it actually has a chance of getting done! ;)

On the other hand, if all I wanted for history was to read SOTW as a spine, add in a few more books from the library, and maybe search out an activity once in a while, then I could do that without a lot of time investment on my part. So it really does depend on how much you actually intend to do with history, and how convenient you want it all to be.

You need it! :D

No really, it is what makes the curriculum IMO.

:iagree: The text alone is not complete imho... (while I am sure some use it alone and are happy with it, it would not be enough for us) We added the AG and LOTS of books.

You could just listen to CDs, but I agree with the above...I bought the AG...The information in there is worth it to me, even if you don't do the activities...I bought the PDF...

My DS loved the activities in the AG. However, if you are creative you could glean ideas from the board and implement them on your own at home. Classical Kids (which should be found at your local library) might be helpful for activity ideas. I'd try to find the AG used and if needed get the PDF student pages from PHP. They are cheap and you can print off as many copies as you need for your family.

We used the AG mainly for things other than the hands-on activities...primarily used it for the discussion questions, guided narrations, maps, and timeline cards. Dd did some of the coloring pages, but we pretty much skipped all of the hands-on activities and games.

A friend used it solely for the booklists, both the suggested history books and literature books. These are books in addition to the ones listed in WTM. She loved it!

You could do w/out the AG like you could do w/out SOTW: there was a time before they were written when other things were rec'd. But the AG is WELL worth its price, imo. I think SOTW & the AG guides are so valuable, I won't sell mine, even though my kids have completed them all.

We are doing History Odyssey, and adding in fun stuff like treasure chests, Lift the Lid, the Thames and Kosmos pyramid, the activities in the "Ancient Egypt and Their Neighbors" and "Ancient Israelites and their Neighbors" books, timelines, mapping from HO, field trips, and more. I looked at the AG and just didn't feel that inspired.

My son did not love the activity guide; he is my anti-craft book worm kid. My hands on learning dd will love the guide (I think. We are starting next month).

I have the book in front of me, and it is totally worth the $ imo (I got it from amazon for $19). I would get it if I were you :).

We used the AG mainly for things other than the hands-on activities...primarily used it for the discussion questions, guided narrations, maps, and timeline cards. Dd did some of the coloring pages, but we pretty much skipped all of the hands-on activities and games.

A friend used it solely for the booklists, both the suggested history books and literature books. These are books in addition to the ones listed in WTM. She loved it!

Same here. I only *occasionally* do the activities, but I use the additional readings, booklists, questions, mapwork every week.

My son did not love the activity guide; he is my anti-craft book worm kid.
Same here.

I so wanted to love the AG, but it stressed me out that

1.) DS hated it. He is very anti-craft, anti-coloring.

2.) If I have a book list, I feel compelled to read each and every book on the list. :tongue_smilie:

3.) Our library had so few of the books on the book list, that I found myself buying many of them.

I stopped using the AG and just look at our library for the books and videos that they do have in circulation. If they have something, great. If not and DS is interested in the topic, I may then buy a related book.

I did buy the test book this year and DS (my workbook lover) is so much happier now with SOTW. I have finally decided it is 'okay' not to love the AG, as DS just has a different learning style.

ok I think I am convinced lol. I think I will just buy the PDF I will be using it for 2-3 kids and it seems easier than having to scan/copy things.

eta: nevermind, thanks boscopup! The whole AG is available on pdf. :)

Edited by ByGrace3

I could be wrong, but I think the pdf is just the student pages. I bought the AG AND the Pdf student pages. The AG hardcopy has all the narrations/books lists/discussion questions/many instructions for projects, and the pdf is just the student pages found in the back of the AG. I still bought the pdf so I didn't have to scan/copy, but the student pages alone would not have been enough without the AG...

You can get the whole AG in pdf format. :)

I vote that you do NOT need it, but with a couple of caveats. I see why it's helpful for some people. But for me, I didn't need the review questions. I didn't need the book suggestions (there are other lists out there, plus 99% of the time I just got whatever was at the library anyway). While a few of the craft activities are good ideas, there are a lot of them that are color this and glue that which is NOT a craft activity in my opinion. Individual historical craft guides like these and others were more useful to me and at the library anyway. The gluing and coloring is just busywork. The maps are okay, but I didn't use enough of them to make it worth it.

For me, all that was easier without the AG. But if reading that made you feel tired and like figuring out your own crafts or books would be a hassle, then just get it. It's not that expensive.