Menu

What would you want to know before you were out on your own?

I'm thinking of putting together a class full of basics that we should all know when we are out on our own. For example, job interviews, budgets, how credit scores work, social networking and how it can hurt/help you, study skills, car maintenance, etc. Right now it's just an idea I'm playing with.

I'm curious, what would you of wanted to know before you were out on your own? What challenges did you run into that would of been easier if you knew a bit more first?

:lurk5:

Keep two months' salary in savings and don't use credit cards unless you pay the ENTIRE balance at the end of EVERY month.

I would seriously have my teen calculate the cost of an item - like a TV or furniture - based on making minimum payments at 18% or some current APR. It could easily end up twice as much as the cash price. Although it sounds better to explain that you can buy twice as much with cash.

How to find the answers to questions. I often tell my kids, "I am not Google...go figure it out." I try to set an example by researching how to paint a room, change a light switch or do a simple dishwasher repair instead of immediately calling someone to fix it.

Barb

1. finance stuff-could be a different class using one of the many books out there for this topic

2. How to paint a room quickly, neatly, efficiently

3. How to change a door knob/bolt

4. car basics-when to get oil changed, brakes checked, etc

5. how to patch a hole in drywall before painting that room in #2

6. how to make an awesome cup of coffee

7. some basic cooking skills and cleaning skills if they haven't been taught those already

8. maybe some other basic home repairs-I'm drawing a blank b/c I have no idea how to do anything! fix a leaky faucet? a toilet that keeps running? when to have air conditioner, furnace serviced?

Whew, I think that has exhausted my thought powers for this early in the morning. Maybe I'll think of more after some coffee!

1. home basics: cooking, cleaning, laundry etc.

2. Maintaining your car: change a tire, check/change oil & other fluids etc.

3. Finances: credit cards are only for emergencies!!!, realistic cost of living (compare cost of needs/wants), budget planning etc.

4. Shopping: whether it be for a large purchase like a car or house, or small trips for groceries or clothes, I am teaching my kids how to research to find the best price/quality. Teach them how to use coupons when possible, or shop second hand (thrift stores/yard sales) etc.

5. planning a menu/grocery list (and staying within a set budget)/freezer cooking & how to stock your pantry/freezer well.

6. Gardening (it's always a good thing to know how to do even if you don't plant one every year)

7. Emergency senerios: go over how to react/survive in different emergency situations: (what do you do in the event of a fire, flood, break in, mugging, earthquake, tornado, if you get lost, miss your bus...the list is endless, but it's priceless if your dc has practiced some of these and at least has a general plan for emergencies)

Ok, sorry if my list doesn't make much sense. I was just typing off the top of my head. But these are some of the things I would deem most important to teach your child about before they left home. Teach them to survive in the world and to succeed reguardless of their circumstances. Plan for the best, but be prepared for the worst!

Street smarts

How to recognize when you're in a bad situation. How to read the surroundings. And, how to get out of a tight spot safely. Young adults are a target-rich environment because they just do not pay attention to their surroundings, and they think they are immune to risks/danger. You know teaching even the basics like stand with your back/purse to a wall while reading a map/texting is good info many kids may not know.

Budgeting/Meal planning/comparing prices

First Aid/CPR

Basic home care

Keeping a medicine cabinet well stocked

Preparing an emergency kit

How to be well aware of surroundings (know the streets you are currently on in case of emergency)

Basic cooking skills

Basic car care

How to save money in savings account

How to protect against identity theft with purchases (online and real life)

How to make a money order/fill out a check

Resume writing

Dealing with conflict (personal & impersonal settings)

Ummm, that is all I can think of at the moment. These are the things I am currently working on/will work on before leaving home.

Debt enslaves. It is you robbing yourself of future happiness and time with those you love. Avoid it.

And what these ladies said.

How to find the answers to questions. I often tell my kids, "I am not Google...go figure it out." I try to set an example by researching how to paint a room, change a light switch or do a simple dishwasher repair instead of immediately calling someone to fix it.

Barb

Street smarts

How to recognize when you're in a bad situation. How to read the surroundings. And, how to get out of a tight spot safely. Young adults are a target-rich environment because they just do not pay attention to their surroundings, and they think they are immune to risks/danger. You know teaching even the basics like stand with your back/purse to a wall while reading a map/texting is good info many kids may not know.

Street smarts

Definitely this.

Take a self-defense class. Many communities offer these. They are not full-out karate classes, just the basics needed to get out of bad situations.

Filing documents: what documents to keep, what to toss, how to set up a filing system and how to use it

Paying bills: keeping track of when they are due, when to mail, how to pay online, etc.

Basic budgeting and banking

Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning: How to plan meals within a budget, strategies on how to shop for the best food items for the price, how to get the most, healthy meals out of those food items. How to freeze leftovers so they will taste good later if a recipe makes enough for four servings and you only need one. Basic list of food to keep in a pantry, list of maximum price to pay for most-used food items.

This is uppermost in my mind right now because I am in the middle of it. My oldest is moving from the dorm to an apartment for next school year and will have a very tight food budget. While discussing his food budget and meals, he realized that he knows how to cook, but not how to shop. We have set a budgeted amount for him to spend on each breakfast, lunch and dinner and I am making him a list of food items and meals he can make for each that fit within that budget, along with how many meals he needs to get out of recipes in order to stay within that budget. I am also making a list of ingredients he likes to cook with and what a good price is for those items on sale because he realizes that he can't just decide what he wants to cook, then go buy it because he needs to buy items when they are on sale. Originally he didn't think it was possible to spend only about 80 cents per breakfast until I broke down the cost of a dozen eggs, showing him how much 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast costs, as well as his other favorite breakfast foods, like hash browns or oatmeal. Same with his lunch budget, but he now realizes it is possible to stay under budget and still eat a sandwich and fruit or salad, or some other lunch ideas from a list we made. I made sure my dc can cook, but we never worked on planning meals and grocery shopping on a budget.)

Basic sewing: sewing on a button, fixing a hem

Toilet maintenance: how to replace the flap; how to replace the ball; how to plunge

Car maintenance: how to check/fill fluids and tires; calling a tow truck - have business card in wallet or in car, what to expect when truck comes, etc.

Car accidents: what to do re: contacting police; getting ins. information on other driver; contacting your ins. agent, know your policy; how to rent a car

Legalese - language of apt. leases, car leases; traffic laws; labor laws

Emergency mgmt.: What to do when disaster strikes (tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.); know evacuation route; protect property; what to do w/pets; emergency kit

DUI laws - orientation to the state laws re: driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol - some kids need a wake up call before they are making these decisions on their own

Road safety - what to do when your tires are spinning in mud or snow; stopping a spinning car; leaving distance between car in front of you

Laundry

Edited by TechWife
add idea

I would also add something that doesn't sound practical, but lack of understanding is a real problem. Cour proceedings. There are so many reasons why a person might end up having to sit in court at some point in their adult hood....anything from arguing a traffic violation in front of the magistrate, to testifying, to jury duty...and in particular...I think jury duty is soooooooo important.

So, as part of our American Government studies, we arrange for our kids to see a one-day trial (usually civil court, but criminal court - depending on the sitation - works too), interview a reputable attorney, and meet a judge's clerk, if not a judge. We do a tour of the courthouse so they have an understanding of the treasurer's office (in case one needs to pay property tax in person), records office, etc. It's just so helpful if one is selling property to know a little about the system when it's time to file a surveyor's report, get copies of birth certificates, etc. and I do think that our current jury system is getting completely out-of-whack because the general public is under-educated about their responsibilities. It helps to see the legal system in action.

Faith

Well, some life lessons my 21 yo dd just learned.

1. Just because you want something doesn't mean you need it or can get it. (DD wants a brand new car but doesn't have the money or credit to get one.)

2. If you have a credit card you must pay it off otherwise they take you to court and make you pay it.

3. You can't eat out every meal.

4. When you buy a used car have a mechanic inspect it for you before you buy it. If you don't you might end up with your bumper zip tied on, your head lights gorilla glued in, etc. (Oops! This happened to DD.)

Remember sometimes you can give your children all of the correct guidance but that doesn't mean they will always use it. And every child is different.

Diana

Keep two months' salary in savings and don't use credit cards unless you pay the ENTIRE balance at the end of EVERY month.

I would seriously have my teen calculate the cost of an item - like a TV or furniture - based on making minimum payments at 18% or some current APR. It could easily end up twice as much as the cash price. Although it sounds better to explain that you can buy twice as much with cash.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Wow - this is the exact second thing I thought of when reading OP's question!! (The first being how to balance a checkbook). My roomie in college used to do EXACTLY the same thing - and she was actually living on her own (in an apartment with me) and feeling ready to face the world. I almost died the first time we got together to go over our monthly budgets & she listed minimum balances due as what she owed each month...