Menu

Has anyone had chickens and lived to regret it?

We haven't had this problem with ours, but a friend of mine has. Chickens can be really mean to each other!

One of hers was injured by a hawk. She separated it from the others to heal, and after a week or so she put it back with the others, thinking it was healed enough. The next morning, the others chickens had pecked the recovering one nearly to death. They had to put it down.

So I would just say you need to be prepared to deal with an injured bird.

Not really, because if the chicken experience goes bad, you can butcher them and put them in the freezer.

Or you can give them away/sell them. They're much easier to get rid of without guilt than, say, a cat you change your mind about. As long as they're fairly young and laying well, you can easily find a new home for them.

Love my girls! But we did get a border collie/poodle mix this fall and he has been really tough to deal with in leui of the chickens. He is obsessed. He has never tried to break in to the coop, but you can't play with him or teach him recall outside because he just runs around the coop for as long as he can.

I love my chickens. I only have three and they free range in my backyard so no I do not have a smell issue. They are little noisy. My dh thinks they make to much racket, I think they are way less obnoixious than the neighbors dogs. :lol::lol:

Three chickens are just right for us. Plenty of eggs, not much effort to care for.

They get along great with my dog. I can't figure out why they bonded so well he is a greyhound/bull terrier mix you would think he would chase them or fight but no.

We've had a small flock (of girls only) since 2003 ish and likely will now never be without them. ooooppps double negative sentence. Stated again: we will always have chickens from hence forth.

If you're bleeding hearts, like us (and can't kill them), you'll have issues as the become elderly. I think chickens can live up to 14 years or so.

We've had our one girl, Winifred for 8+ years and she's always been obese-ish (she's a Black Star from Mcmurray hatchery, IOWA). So, she's gotten bumble foot twice which is a pain when you have to treat it as you have to excise/drain the infection from the bubble on the bottom of her foot. A vet in the area who actually treats chickens doubted she'd survive it, but we baby'd her and she's still with us (and still lays an egg a week!!!).

The nuissance of chickens is when you first get chicks and having to set up the brooder. But, I've developed a great system which makes this a breeze (but it's a nuissance until you get the flow of it -- kinda like a new fish tank).

Also, another nuissance is introducing new birds to an established flock. IMO, ideally, you'd get your birds together, raise them together and they'd die one way or the other together so you can always start your chicks together and avoid the whole introducing a new bird issue. The two times we've introduced newbies, the old girls harrass them in the coop and the newbies roost outside, so me (bleeding heart that I am), have to go out there and move their rears inside. I only have to move them in for a few weeks and then the girls (older) ones accept them. I don't put new ones in with old til their 3 or 4 months old anyway and our chicken yard is plenty big for the newbie to escape the occasional pursuer -- then in a few weeks the pecking order's established and things are fine.

Also, we've developed a primitive way of keeping predators out of our coop and since it's initiation, we haven't had a bird die from a predator in 6 years! -- and that's impressive since we live surrounded by the woods of the deep south. (It's a lenghty explanation, so if you get interested, PM me and I'll send you a pic and explain).

They're not trouble free, but we like um' enough to deal with the occasional nuissance.

Our rat terrier dog is fine with our birds. Our neighbor's Bassett Hound broke thru the fence a few months ago and my birds were out ranging and she (Bassett) killed one.

A final issue is, if you let them free range, their poop. It'll be all over your porch, your grill, etc.

Edited by mhg

I love my chickens. I only have three and they free range in my backyard so no I do not have a smell issue. They are little noisy. My dh thinks they make to much racket, I think they are way less obnoixious than the neighbors dogs. :lol::lol:

Three chickens are just right for us. Plenty of eggs, not much effort to care for.

Which breed? We're thinking about Orpingtons because they are supposed to be gentle and good layers. We can go through 2-3 dozen eggs a week. How often do you hose down? We'll probably coop ours unless someone is supervising because we back up to the desert wash: coyotes, owls and other birds of prey galore.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

We've had a small flock (of girls only) since 2003 ish and likely will now never be without them. ooooppps double negative sentence. Stated again: we will always have chickens from hence forth.

:lol::lol: We are in Chicago for the summer but I would love to pick your brain when we return. Actually, my 17yo daughter is going to be spearheading this project. So the reasons for wanting to do this are in order of importance:

The experience

The eggs

The attachment bond

Not for meat.

We are neighborhood chicken raisers, not farm chicken raisers :D I'm still on the fence about this since they will become my responsibility when she goes to college, but I do know someone who has a small farm (veggies and livestock) in our town that will likely be glad to take the chickens if I become overwhelmed.

Barb

We have had our share of issues, but none that we couldn't work through. (ETA: We are farm chicken raisers - but we raise two flocks - one for eggs and one for meat. They never even see each other.)

1. When we have roosters, our hens are ...um...over used and the males will tear feathers out of the hens' backs. We now have a "no rooster" policy!

2. Sometimes hens get sick and you just don't know why. We have had one chicken that I dearly loved just turn purple (the comb) and fall dead. That was hard.

3. Chickens are prey for a lot of animals and we have had our chickens be attacked by foxes, coons, etc. They are in a fenced lot now, but even then, sometimes a predator will get in. :( It is always hard to lose a chicken to a predator.

4. Chickens get wounded like other animals and you have to watch them very carefully and isolate them when it happens. If other chickens in the flock see red, they will peck. We had one chicken who escaped a fox only to be pecked to death by her fellow hens when I put her back into the pen with scabs over her wounds. :( That was a hard lesson learned.

Another "wound" issue that came up was a hen was wounded under her wing and we didn't see it (due to where it was on her body). When we finally did see it, it was infested with maggots that were feeding on the wound and half her back. There was no hope for her and my dh had to cull her.

Our meat chickens are actually easier to deal with than our egg layers. I guess that is mostly because they are only kept for 8-12 weeks at a time (depending on the breed) and they have a lot less time/opportunity to get sick/hurt/preyed upon.

So yes...there are things that are tough with chickens. It is like raising any other living animal. Things happen that are not pleasant sometimes. The toughest thing for me has been not being able to take a sick chicken to the vet, etc. I hate to see anything suffer and we have had to cull more than one for this very reason. Sometimes the illnesses are just baffling and sometimes, despite your best efforts, you lose the hen anyway.

However, the joys of watching them and the wonderful eggs make it worth the work for us. The good does outweigh the bad.

Edited by Tree House Academy

We live in San Jose Ca. and are allowed only 6 chickens. We have a pretty small backyard so our chickens have a coop in the garage and yes they are stinky specially in this heat. My 12 year old is good to clean their coop once a week and still stinks. My problem is the back yard. They poop everywhere and has brough so many flies. No matter how much we wash the concrete there are still pesty flies flying around. Another anoyance is the kids tracking their poop in the garage and in the house. Also, it has been a challange to keep them out of our vegetable patch. They are also very noisy when another chicken is in their nesting are. One thing to love is their daily eggs.

However, the joys of watching them and the wonderful eggs make it worth the work for us. The good does outweigh the bad.

Thanks for the detailed post, Rebecca! It's good to know what to expect. Nothing you've said would deter me, exactly but I see we need to put more thought into who would deal with the chickens not destined to die from old age.

Barb

Orpingtons are a nice breed. We had them for a while (right now ours are mostly semi-feral mutts).

They will rip up a garden if allowed.

If they get fresh ground and/or beddings regularly they won't stink, but if you let them crap somewhere without checking it often enough the stench can be ungodly.

They can drop dead of the most bizarre stuff. Be aware and expect it.

It's a good idea to decide what you want to do with the aging and non-laying hens. If you can keep them for pets, fine. If you can't -- well, locating someone locally who will do stewing hens may work. If you are new to the livestock life, it is easier to eat something you knew as a soup rather than a roast. You can also just find someone else who'll eat them (my mother will happily take aging stewing hens for her pot). You can also just put them down (this is pretty easy if you find someone who knows how to do it). After a while, though, your 'chicken graveyard' will get awfully big. :P

They're also really vicious to each other. As previously stated, if one is wounded, they'll peck her to death.

Don't get a rooster unless you have enough hens to keep him, ahem, occupied without excessive overuse of any one in particular. You don't need one anyway unless you're planning on hatching eggs.

LOVE my girls!! They all have names, and they come running and squat down in front of me, patting their feet when I go outside.

We had an issue with a couple not laying and found a small farm to process them for a reasonable fee if it comes to that (same for when they get old and stop laying), so I am less worried about what we will do when they get old. One of the first two I got was dead one morning when I went out, no apparent cause, just a little blood by her ear, and that was hard.

Otherwise, they bring me a lot of pleasure every day, and their eggs cannot be beat.

We are neighborhood chicken raisers, not farm chicken raisers :D I'm still on the fence about this since they will become my responsibility when she goes to college, but I do know someone who has a small farm (veggies and livestock) in our town that will likely be glad to take the chickens if I become overwhelmed.

Barb

Consider getting Bantams. Most varieties have a bantam version. They are much smaller than standard sized chicken, so I think more backyard friendly. We have Rhode Island Red Bantams and I love them.

Also try not to get a "production" strain of whatever breed you get. Production birds will have other breeds mixed in (to maximize meat or eggs) but they also maximize stupidity and the birds natural impulses.

Bill

2. Sometimes hens get sick and you just don't know why. We have had one chicken that I dearly loved just turn purple (the comb) and fall dead. That was hard.

We've only had our meat chicks for a whopping three weeks so far but I've read that what you described can happen with them (Cornish crosses anyway) when they get a little older. Usually I hear it explained as the heart giving out due to the stress of growing so fast so perhaps you chicken had heart troubles?

Also try not to get a "production" strain of whatever breed you get. Production birds will have other breeds mixed in (to maximize meat or eggs) but they also maximize stupidity and the birds natural impulses.

Bill

Well...It depends on what you want. Our Cornish crosses are production birds. Natural impulses and great intelligence aren't terribly important when you're going to be catered to for 8-12 weeks and then sent to the freezer. Nevertheless, we're loving ours and having a lot of fun with them.

My parents have sex-linked reds for laying and again, those are production birds but they're quite intelligent and charming ladies.

You might be interested in reading my blog, listed in my signature line, for information about my experiences, mostly related to how I didn't understand how a chicken thinks (or doesn't) despite reading everything I could find.

Bookmarked. Very helpful, thank you!

Barb

Orpingtons are a nice breed. We had them for a while (right now ours are mostly semi-feral mutts).

They will rip up a garden if allowed.

No garden back there. Not planning on roosters. Dd and I just had a long talk about who will be the responsible party in case a chicken must be euthanized. We've not quite come to a meeting of the minds. She says she will do it, but I'm not convinced. Dh isn't even an option. He grew up in the projects in NYC. He thought cotton came from sheep until he was in his 20s :D

Barb

Consider getting Bantams. Most varieties have a bantam version. They are much smaller than standard sized chicken, so I think more backyard friendly. We have Rhode Island Red Bantams and I love them....

Bill

Thought about it, but worried the eggs won't be big enough to feed a large family. I thought fewer chickens and bigger eggs would be better, no?

Consider getting Bantams. Most varieties have a bantam version. They are much smaller than standard sized chicken, so I think more backyard friendly.

While this may be true, I have found that Bantam eggs are mostly yolk (this may vary across breeds. We had Rhode Island Red banties). I like to use eggs for their whites quite often, so Bantams aren't a good choice for us.

I agree with a pp that three to four chickens is perfect for ease of care and sufficient egg production. We would get around 2 dozen a week with 4 Rhode Island Reds (the full-sized ones).

Which breed? We're thinking about Orpingtons because they are supposed to be gentle and good layers. We can go through 2-3 dozen eggs a week. How often do you hose down? We'll probably coop ours unless someone is supervising because we back up to the desert wash: coyotes, owls and other birds of prey galore.

I have two australorps and a white plymouth rock. I did not research and pick out these breeds, I saw the chicks at the farm supply store when I was buying something for the horse and I could not resist. They are just over a year old and each lays an egg nearly everyday. Somedays I get three eggs total somedays I get two.

I have a coop that they can be closed into at night. It has a solid bottom and I put down a layer of stall bedding. Once a week I clean and retop the bedding and once a month I clear out and start fresh. I put the used bedding on my compost pile.

We have a lot of birds of prey and raccoons so when keep them in at night but they free range during the day. They will tear up a garden and if you have too many for the space they will destroy grass and landscaping by scratching it up. I have a big backyard and other than eating my little mound of clover they have not done much damage.

Thought about it, but worried the eggs won't be big enough to feed a large family. I thought fewer chickens and bigger eggs would be better, no?

Nope. The bantam eggs are smaller, but not that much smaller. The birds themselves are significantly smaller--less like livestock.

I think you get more eggs (you can have more birds with less impact) with bantams.

Bill

We now have 41 chickens. We had 42 but one meat chicken died last week. The other is likely to die soon but I am not butchering it and we are having difficulty finding someone to help ds do it.

We bought chain link chickens thru THe County Extension Office for $15 (25 birds). THey are supposed to be heavy layers. So far we haven't had any eggs yet but soon I hope...

We also bought chickens from local farm stores. While we were able to buy healty chickens, most employees didn't any idea as to which chicks were which (and some breeds look alike as babies) and you don't know how many roosters you are buying. Even supposedly buying sexlinked chickens (boys don't look like girls at hatching) we ended up with an extra rooster or 2. We ended up with 2 meat chickens because they looked like the TSC tints and were in the same brooder as the tints. People/children handle them and put back in the wrong brooders. Some neighborhoods say no to roosters.

Friends bought from hatcheries. Some hatcheries have a 50% mail delivery survival rate. No refunds on those who die after arrival or during delivery.

Even having a few chickens is an investment. It takes 3-6 months for a chicken to be ready to lay eggs depending on the breed. That means you are just feeding them for the pure entertainment value. THen you have to make certain your h0me for them is well ventilated, secure from predators, and pleasing to your neighbors. Fencing is not cheap. Coops are not cheap if you have to buy all new materials. We invested easily $1000 to get ready for 25 chickens.

You should hang out at www.backyardchickens.com in the forums. They have a section for sick and injured chickens that can make your stomach turn. THen the one on predators can scare you enough to never go outside.

Another vote for the backyard chickens forums, but only after you have read the idiot's guide to chickens. Normally I am not a fan of those books, ut the backyard chicken forum has so much info it is overwhelming, and the book is much simpler. Then you can get into detail after you have the birds (or have a question).

I vote Rhode Island reds or whites. Smaller chicken, nice big eggs, good personality, not fussy. We have black sexlinks that are huge and bossy, and one not-very-promising (although beautiful) Buff Orpington pullet named Dolly Parton (a blond with a big chest).

I also vote NO to the chain feed store chickens unless you have an employee who absolutely knows what they are doing. You are better off trying to find a small farmer nearby who has some chicks/pullets to sell. That's what we do, and he always tries to talk us into buying something else. He is very fun to visit with and a wealth of information.

Another vote for the backyard chickens forums, but only after you have read the idiot's guide to chickens. Normally I am not a fan of those books, ut the backyard chicken forum has so much info it is overwhelming, and the book is much simpler. Then you can get into detail after you have the birds (or have a question).

I vote Rhode Island reds or whites. Smaller chicken, nice big eggs, good personality, not fussy. We have black sexlinks that are huge and bossy, and one not-very-promising (although beautiful) Buff Orpington pullet named Dolly Parton (a blond with a big chest).

I also vote NO to the chain feed store chickens unless you have an employee who absolutely knows what they are doing. You are better off trying to find a small farmer nearby who has some chicks/pullets to sell. That's what we do, and he always tries to talk us into buying something else. He is very fun to visit with and a wealth of information.

:iagree:The author of the Idiots Guide (or is it the Dummys Guide???) is the founder of the Backyard chicken forums. WHile I was learning the BYC forum was very helpful when I needed answers fast. Now I mostly use it as a way to connect with others from my state.

We had chickens for several years and the kids really loved them.

Downsides: Stinky and dirty. Also they are stupid. One drowned, one got her head stuck and broke her neck, several were eaten, dog loved to chase them and make them crazy. If you aren't careful they will peck their own eggs. Their eggs attract snakes, mice, etc.

Dh says it is cheaper to buy eggs than to feed the chickens so when they stopped laying (after 2-3 years) we didn't replace them.

Fun chicken to have is the ones that lay green and blue eggs, the Ameraucana. Also no roosters.

What about the smell? Are they stinky?

If they're confined in a space that's too small there can be smell. You want a space that doesn't get wet, b/c the moisture will encourage bacteria to grow. If the space is dry the droppings dry out and there's very little smell.

Ours free-range, so there's very little clean up (only the coop where they roost at night and the nest boxes). We *did* have to put up barriers in some areas of our barn to prevent repeat roosting in one spot. (It grew icky there.)

ETA: We've had large lots of 60+ layer and dual purpose hens plus roosters, meat chickens, turkeys, peafowl, guinea fowl, and bantam chickens. We've had SO many breeds. Now we have mostly layer hybrids and mixed breeds (Ameraucana roosters and a variety of broody hens).

Edited by zaichiki

Even having a few chickens is an investment. It takes 3-6 months for a chicken to be ready to lay eggs depending on the breed. That means you are just feeding them for the pure entertainment value. THen you have to make certain your h0me for them is well ventilated, secure from predators, and pleasing to your neighbors. Fencing is not cheap. Coops are not cheap if you have to buy all new materials. We invested easily $1000 to get ready for 25 chickens.

Out here, all the backyards are walled like compounds, ostensibly to keep the coyotes out, I think? But $1000? Ouch! How much was your coop? Darling daughter is the head of this operation but I'm kicking in some funds. She's hanging out on the backyard chickens forum because I don't need a new obsession.

Barb

If they're confined in a space that's too small there can be smell. You want a space that doesn't get wet, b/c the moisture will encourage bacteria to grow. If the space is dry the droppings dry out and there's very little smell.

So I'm guessing living in the desert should be beneficial in that case. Good to know.

Barb

A final issue is, if you let them free range, their poop. It'll be all over your porch, your grill, etc.

Ours stay off the porch and grill area, but we have a large property and their barn/coop and the pasture (where they tend to stay) is a couple of hundred feet behind the house/yard. Most of them don't venture very far. Some breeds will, but the layers probably won't.

Also no roosters.

Oh. Yeah. :glare: Roosters can be a pain when you have young ones. You can NEVER predict which ones will turn mean (AKA protective of the hens). We've had about 10 roosters over the years. The current 4 are sweethearts. Two of them are sons of our last "alpha," who was also a sweetheart. Most of our roosters, even the ones who were babied and handled TONS, turned mean and attacked my kids. They had to go.

Orpies are good. My kids like 'em. I don't know how well they lay: we only have a few in a large, mixed flock.

Don't hose down. You don't want to introduce water. And if the water you give 'em for drinking spills, you'll have to remedy that to control the bacteria growth.

Consider getting Bantams. Most varieties have a bantam version. They are much smaller than standard sized chicken, so I think more backyard friendly. We have Rhode Island Red Bantams and I love them.

Bill

The kids LOVE bantams: easier to hold. They do not lay as well as our standards, though.

If you're going for the eggs, I *would* get the production strains (or the layer hybrids) b/c it really does make a difference. And I don't think they're more stupid than the other chickens. They're all equally stupid. If you want REALLY stupid, get guinea fowl. :D

I have one buff orpington, and she's very nice. I think of her as a solid, sensible chicken. She's not quirky, she gets along with everyone, she seems to be pretty much at the top of the pecking order, but without being a bully at all. And she lays reliably (my older chickens are 3 1/2 now, and so far they haven't slowed down much at all with laying).

I like having all different kinds of chicks, though; just because it's fun that way.

Our coop/pen is pretty simple, and it didn't cost anywhere near $1000...particularly if it doesn't get super cold where you live, you can get away with something really bare bones. Our pen is a dog run under our deck with an open-air hutch for roosting. There are modifications, like hardware cloth around the bottom and aviary netting across the top to keep out predators, and in winter we use a tarp across the most exposed side to keep the wind out. It gets down to single digits here occasionally in winter, and we haven't had any problems; this past winter we did run an extension cord out from the garage to plug in a heat lamp on nights when it was going to be under 20 or so. Ours have the run of our (fenced) yard during the day, and we lock them in the pen at night.

The bantam eggs are about half the size of layer hybrid eggs, but the bird is only a third of the size. You can keep more bantams per square foot, but you won't necessarily get more egg per sq ft b/c most bantams just don't lay well.

Friends bought from hatcheries. Some hatcheries have a 50% mail delivery survival rate. No refunds on those who die after arrival or during delivery.

If the chicks die within the first few days (due to shipping stress), the hatcheries ALWAYS refund. We've purchased from hatcheries several times.

Orpies are good. My kids like 'em. I don't know how well they lay: we only have a few in a large, mixed flock.

Don't hose down. You don't want to introduce water. And if the water you give 'em for drinking spills, you'll have to remedy that to control the bacteria growth.

:confused: I thought you were supposed to hose down? Also, it's so dry in the desert that after swimming it only takes 5 min or so for swimsuits to dry. Wadded up towels left on the ground dry in less than an hour. A sandwich toasts itself as you eat it. The air is DRY there, LOL

Barb

Out here, all the backyards are walled like compounds, ostensibly to keep the coyotes out, I think? But $1000? Ouch! How much was your coop? Darling daughter is the head of this operation but I'm kicking in some funds. She's hanging out on the backyard chickens forum because I don't need a new obsession.

Barb

IF you buy all new materials. We're building a coop for the soon-to-be-here layers with recycled materials scavenged from relatives. Our only cost will be fencing.

Check out Craig's List for cheap and free sheds. They can be easily modified to be used as coops. Backyard Chicken forum has tons of ideas and pics for inspiration. If you can't find sheds you'll likely still find free or used plywood, lumber, windows, doors, shingles, etc.

IF you buy all new materials. We're building a coop for the soon-to-be-here layers with recycled materials scavenged from relatives. Our only cost will be fencing.

Check out Craig's List for cheap and free sheds. They can be easily modified to be used as coops. Backyard Chicken forum has tons of ideas and pics for inspiration. If you can't find sheds you'll likely still find free or used plywood, lumber, windows, doors, shingles, etc.

Oooo, or freecycle. Thanks for the idea.

Barb

We spent $10 for fencing and put the rest together out of scrap. We have slowly modified as we see what works for the chickens and for us. I think that was accidentally a really good strategy. We could have spent tons of $$ building the Cadillac of chicken sheds, but their favorite plac ein all of the world is next to the goat milking stand under a tree, buried in dirt they flung on themselves. They only stay in when they sleep, so we make their beds comfy and let them roam...

Get Delawares. Incredible layers, great meat, and friendly. I mean, pick them up and love on them friendly. I used to let them come int he house with me, I'd carry them around the yard and carry one when I went on walks. They like people.

Oooo, or freecycle. Thanks for the idea.

Barb

And just ask around. Our meat chicks currently go out in the day time to a chain link dog pen my brother had but didn't need. We ran a some chicken wire around the bottom to keep the chicks in and put a piece of plywood on top, all leftovers from my parents. People have all kinds of stuff laying around that they have no use for and would often love for someone else to take off their hands.

:confused: I thought you were supposed to hose down?

I know *nothing* about the desert, but we've *never* cleaned our coop with water. We scrape/shovel out bedding and often use a bleach solution on the waterers/feeders. We've never had any trouble with parasites or illness.

I know *nothing* about the desert, but we've *never* cleaned our coop with water. We scrape/shovel out bedding and often use a bleach solution on the waterers/feeders. We've never had any trouble with parasites or illness.

I misunderstood. I was talking about hosing down things like patios or lawns...or grills?