Menu

Adding a pink stripe to hair

We did it with a dye kit from Walgreens called Splat! I think. They have red, blue, pink, etc.

We opted to just put the dye on her hair and not bleach it first. This way it will wash out gradually over the summer. If you bleach it white first it will be a brighter pink but will have to grow out. DDs is kind of a magenta/pink.

She and her BFF did it and they love it!

ETA: Yes, at home. No professionals needed. Comes with gloves. I did use an old paintbrush to apply though.

I love that within a couple of minutes of posting I had several replies! Totally destroys all the homeschooler stereotypes, unless everyone is sporting pink striped hair with their denim jumpers. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

DH was less-than-thrilled about DD's pink hair extension but it was HIS mother who paid for it to be put in! :tongue_smilie:

I get my hair professionally colored already, so I just have my hairdresser do it. I'm blonde already, so she just touches up my roots, then washes that out, and uses foils to put pink "highlights" in all around. The first time, she used a soft pink, which looked beautiful and subtle, but faded really quickly. The next time, I had her use a dark fuschia color, which was a little much at first, but faded to just the right color, and has lasted a long time.

Pink's my favorite color, and I love having pink highlights. After the next play I'm in (set in 1940 so I can't have pink hair!), I'll probably have her redo the highlights. I think it's fun for spring/summer.

Wendi

My dd did it at home last year by bleaching a stripe. While it was pink, it looked good, but when she stopped the pink, the stripe just looked awful.

This year she went to a salon and for $25 had a purple stripe put in. No bleaching and it still looks great more than a month later.:001_smile:

If you don't want to do anything permanent, a hairdresser can put in a pink extension for you. My DD came home from a manicure with MIL with one last fall. The salon was participating in the "Pink Hair for Hope" program and DD talked her Mum-Mum into it, LOL!

:iagree:

A friend's daughter (yes, they homeschool!) has one, it has stayed nice for at least a month, and I think she's had it for two. I'm not sure if it was through this program or not, but it is an extension. It is a tiny pink braid. Everyone thinks it is her hair, but it is not.

Here is Manic Panic's how-to page.

They used to sell it at Hot Topic, not sure if they still do.

My experience is that you should use the lightener even if your hair is naturally light, as it seems to help the dye "take".

My daughter likes to color her hair, and we buy her Manic Panic from Sally's. If her hair were lighter, I'd make her use the much cheaper kool-aid option, but alas ...

I don't let her use lightener, but the MP dye still takes pretty well to her hair - especially if her hair is dirty. The reds/pinks fade faster, so she goes through those jars faster.

My dd and I all did pink stripes about three (?) months ago. We did it at home and we did not bleach first. One dd has black hair, one has blonde and I have brown. The one with black had the most dramatic color. Her's came out a very deep fushia but faded the fastest. The blonde's came out a medium pink but really showed up against the blonde. Mine came out a dark pink and has lasted the longest. I still have pink in my hair. I think their's faded before mine because they spend so much time in the sun and pool. We were able to do all three of our's with just one box, about $10.

:bigear: Enjoying all the tips!

My dds have asked if they could have streaks in their hair, and I'm fine with them *having them, but I'm worried about *doing them. They're not the type to sit still very long. I've thought about just buying them clips, but I'm worried about how quickly they might get tangled up... or lost @@.

I am planning on doing a blue or purple streak when I see my hair stylist in a few weeks. I'm thinking of having her do it, but maybe touching it up myself as my hair grows. This thread has been very helpful :D

I vote for clip-in extensions instead! Less mess, more vibrant colors, you can vary them up infinitely, take them out if you have to meet your MIL for lunch (or, you know, add extras)...

I just hate the way those bright colors look when they fade -- and they fade *so* fast (well, from your hair -- not from the spots you've accidentally stained in the bathroom)...

So I'm voting for clip-ins. The ones from the salon (dd has some from Regis) or salon-supply stores are nicer than the ones at little accessories stores.