Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week Twenty Six

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week 26 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Y is for Young Adult: A recent wall street journal article about the darkness in young adult books stirred up a brouhaha in the blogosphere with ya fiction writers. check out the article and links to response on the blog. My question: are today's books any darker than past decades.

Can you believe it - we are half way there gang! What exciting, different, unique, interesting authors or books have you discovered?

Link to week 25

I've read:

History Of The Ancient World

Evangelical Is Not Enough

Square Foot Gardening (and yes, I really did read the whole thing)

A lot of cookbooks (I know, they don't count)

The Backyard Homestead

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

The Spirited Child

Museum of Innocence

Reasons To Believe

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Herodotus, Book 1

I'm reading:

Fun: The Omnivore's Dilemma (finally broke down and got a Kindle copy)

Reading Project: Herodotus' Histories

Religion: nothing, for now

I was supposed to read The Yanks are Coming by Albert Marrin...but my 17 yo stole it from me!!

So, I read a Stephen King novel...the Eyes of the Dragon for fun...and then read Of Mice and Men. I am challenging myself to read many of the. Books I read as a teen. I am so ruined! All through Of Mice and Men, al I could hear in my head was the Bugs Bunny version..."Which way did he go George? Which way did he go??". Oy!!!

Faithe

Happy summer gang. So many books in the pile to choose from. Since June is audio book month, decided to try listening to some audio books. I'm not really an audio book person. I have a tendency to tune them out if I can't see the words because I get busy doing something and my brain tunes them out, unless I'm in the car where I can't do anything else except listen. The recommendation from those who love audio books was to listen to a book already read to get used to listening to stories. It takes a few according to those in the know.

I chose In The Garden trilogy by Nora Roberts. As I listen to the story in the car, the desire is to actually read the book. So after a few days of listening, what happened. Yep, picked up Blue Dahlia and rereading it. Now starting Black Rose. With all those unread books in the pile, you'd think I be picking on of those. Something heady and intellectual after all my urban fantasy binge. Nope - Nora is calling my name. Plus she is such a fantastic writer, getting those creative writing juices flowing again.

Mytwoblessings wrote:

A recent wall street journal article about the darkness in young adult books stirred up a brouhaha in the blogosphere with ya fiction writers. check out the article and links to response on the blog. My question: are today's books any darker than past decades...

Interesting -- I'll have to read the blog and responses later today. My young adult reader has avoided the YA section in the bookstore for several years now as none of the titles interest him. My initial reaction to material written for teens is that it has gone from social issues to gothic/horror/fantasy romance written for a female audience. Neither sorts of books appeal to my teen who would rather read classic sci-fi, and anything by Bill Bryson or Terry Pratchett.

I'm not up to 26 books, but managed to read #22 and #23 this week. I really enjoyed Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, so much so that I did nothing useful Friday except sit and read! I also got absorbed in Simon Winchester's The Professor and The Madman, about the writing of the Oxford English Dictionary. Simon Winchester is a fabulous author, but I'm not as absorbed in his most recent work Atlantic. It is beautifully written and interesting, but the kind of book that doesn't call to you to stop what you're doing and come back to read.

Edited by JennW in SoCal

I have to have something to do while listening, and not every book makes for a good listen. I like to crochet, for instance, but if it is a complex pattern I can't focus on the crochet and the book at the same time. I also enjoy having a book to listen to on a long drive.

I love classics on audio as it makes those long, clause filled sentences sound perfectly natural. Nadia May, for instance, is a terrific narrator of Jane Austen books and Anthony Heald does a fantastic job with Moby Dick. Bill Bryson has read several of his own books, and has a lovely cadence to his reading. I haven't tried him on audio yet, but Simon Winchester also reads his own books and based on the reviews at audible and the snippets I've heard, he has a wonderful voice.

Actually, the best bit of advice I have is to listen to the samples at audible.com as there are some dreadful narrators that can truly ruin a perfectly good book.

I am challenging myself to read many of the. Books I read as a teen.

Faithe

Neither sorts of books appeal to my teen who would rather read classic sci-fi, and anything by Bill Bryson or Terry Pratchett.

The science fiction/fantasy section is the only section I frequented in the bookstore or library when I was a teen. Still have all the books I bought back then in boxes in the bottom of my closet. Periodically go through them and still just as good as they were then. Yes, some are really dark - no more so than what's out there today. I think if you just changed some of the covers on the ya books and stuck them in the sci fi section, minds would change. For some reason some sci fi is expected to be dark.

Finished:

#46 - Wise and Otherwise, by Isabella Alden

Currently reading my last Alden book :sad: :

#47 - Chrissy's Endeavor, by Isabella Alden

I posted before that these books by Alden (Grace Livingston Hill's aunt) seem to contain more gospel in the day-to-day situations of the stories.

I know these are *just stories*; however, in the last couple I read, I was more aware of a level of *living the life* than I typically see in real life today, and it makes me wonder if this was more the *norm* in certain circles of the author's 1800's days. A life in Christ that permeated every nook and cranny of their lives. Certainly something I have detected many-a-time in the lives of certain select real people I have known who were much older.

Not sure what I'll read next. Been a rough week.

I finished "Baggage Claim" which was total brain fluff. I won't even link it. ;)

Still reading 19th Wife on my Nook. I'm still astounded that Brigham Young had 55 wives. That's all I'll say on that.

To go along with the theme I started Escape on audio.

I'm almost finished with Packing for Mars and I fins her sense of humor great.

I've decided to have a book going in each medium. One on audio, one on Nook, and one actual hard copy...... at the very least. :D

Robin, I listen to audio books while I'm putting my little one to sleep, washing dishes, folding laundry, and when exercising. I can't listen to my audio books in the car because of the boys. I do end up listening to their audio books but don't count those in my book count. I agree that listening to classics on audio is great. My favorite way to "read" classics now.

Although, my last classic was Wuthering Heights and I have to say that when the narrator spoke in dialect for the character Joseph, I didn't understand a word. :001_huh:

I recently purchased Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies. I put it on my wishlist originally because the author was interviewed on Mars Hill Audio. I enjoyed the discussion, I hope I like the book!

Still working on Persuasion for book club. We don't meet until the end of July, so I'm savoring slowly -- easy in the beginning part, and harder later on ;)

I finally finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I have been reading/thumbing through various London/UK travel books the last few weeks, so my regular reading has taken a back seat.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book;I know some WTMers weren't crazy about Fall of Giants because it lacked the epic feel of Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, but I really enjoyed the WWl history, dimensional characters, and interesting storyline.

I thought Follett did a good job of showing the tension present in Europe prior to and during WWl. And, I like how he provided the background to explain the start of the conflict. I felt his history and historical characters' portrayals were spot-on.

In fact, if it weren't for some "R-rated" scenes throughout the book, I think Fall of Giants would have been a good read for my teen as a supplement to her AP European History class she took this past year.

I'm looking forward to reading the second book in this trilogy.

[whine mode] Still on Thucydides. Dh has been out of the country for weeks, and dd15 is at camp, and it's just me and the two littles, and it's over 100 every ******** day, and I'm sleep-deprived, and when everyone finally settles and goes to sleep, I only have energy to watch Columbo reruns on Netflix.* [/whine mode]

Two more weeks, and I will again be reading. Really. But I don't think I'm going to make that Book a Week goal for the year.

*Peter Falk, RIP. :(

********* Tame non-cuss word deleted for the sensitive.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

I finished Howatch's Mystical Paths, the fifth book in the Starbridge series. This might have been my least favorite as I didn't really enjoy all the psychic stuff, and a lot of the dialogue and plot seemed contrived. However, I am currently enjoying the last in the series, Absolute Truths. The author is focusing on the main characters of the first book. I find these characters more likeable than the ones in the Mystical Paths, and it's been fun to see how their stories/lives are wrapping up.

My girls and I are reading The Hiding Place together. Such a wonderful book.

I have finished 21 books so far this year which puts me behind, but maybe not hopelessly behind.

I've never gotten into audiobooks; inevitably my mind wanders and I'm thinking about something else before I know it.

Last week, I finished Sophie's World and Water for Elephants. Sophie's World was interesting, I'm glad that someone recommended that to me instead of delving into something deeper. My head was spinning enough and I got enough philosophy from that for awhile. Water for Elephants was good, I think I liked the movie better!

I am currently reading The Help (re-read, I love this book and can't wait for the movie!), and also re-reading The Iliad. I read it last year (a less than stellar translation) and have been reading other books about The Iliad. Now, I am enjoying it much more. I wanted to read Lattimore's translation, but I decided Fagles might be easier for me.

We are about halfway through the year and I have read 43 books! I am hoping to do some deeper content this second half of the year. :)

In fact, if it weren't for some "R-rated" scenes

This is a great way to label a book :D I'm totally borrowing it! I needed it last week for one of my book reviews.

I've never gotten into audiobooks; inevitably my mind wanders and I'm thinking about something else before I know it.

:iagree:

My friends are avid audio book people. I just can't quite get it. My own imagination and thoughts override what is happening in the book and then I'm lost. Of course, I often think that it takes much more to bring the mind to bear on the written word than listening to it. :leaving:

I'm still working on a Georgette Heyer book, have been for a couple weeks. I've read some fluff in between because it's a bit heavy (about William the Conquerer), but I'm mostly keeping up.

I didn't even post in last week's post, I don't think. I finally finished listening to The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht. It was interesting to hear, but left me wondering about things.

I'm still reading Heure des elfes but since that's the book on my nightstand, I've been reading 2 pages then falling into a deep sleep. Now that my high maintenance mini house guests are gone, I may have some more time at night to read. On the other hand, my bathroom book The Celtic Realms has been read quite a bit more this past week, since I've been hiding out in the bathroom to get a little peace and quiet for a few minutes! :D

I'm also 2 chapters away from finishing Why the Chinese Don't Count Calories, a book I picked up at the Library.

I finished #32 and #33. I'm ahead!:001_smile: (That makes up for how far behind I was in my reading for 2010!;))

33. Unbroken (Hillenbrand)

32. Ask Me Why I Hurt (Christensen)

31. Mirthful Memoirs of a Male Nurse (Migliore)

30. Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science (Gawande)

29. The Great Escape (Meserole)

28. Beyond the Surgeon's Touch: One Miracle Away From Death (Teague)

27. Usborne True Desert Adventures (Harvey)

26. Triumph, Tragedy, and Tedium: Stories of a Salt Lake City Paramedic/Firefighter, the Sugar House Years (Makarewicz)

25. Snowstruck: In the Grip of Avalanches (Fredston)

24. The Doctor Wore Petticoats (Enss)

23. Faith Behind the Fences (Taylor)

22. Snowbound: The Tragic Story of the Donner Party (Lavender)

21. Nurse! Nurse! (Frazier)

20. Usborne True Sea Stories

19. Usborne True Stories: Crime and Detection

18. You Want Me to Declaw WHAT?! (Toia)

17. Before My Heart Stops (Cardall)

16. The Deadly Dinner Party (Edlow)

15. Across the Red Line (Karl)

14. All My Patients Have Tales (Wells)

13. Ten Days in a Madhouse (Bly)

12. Heaven is For Real (Burpo)

11. Silas Marner (Eliot)

10. Doctor of the Heart (Rosenfeld)

9. White Fang (London)

8. Ask The Animals (Coston)

7. Call of the Wild (London)

6. The 7 (Beck)

5. Rogue Wave (Moriison)

4. Mockingjay (Collins)

3. Catching Fire (Collins)

2. Hunger Games (Collins)

1. Tales of An African Vet (Aronson)

Lynne, the Chinese food book looks interesting. I've already had to stop giving my ds wheat, and I'm on the way to completely talking it out of the whole family's diet. Maybe I should read that book.

It is pretty interesting. It's more about the philosophy behind what they eat and how they eat. I've been wheat and dairy free for about a month, now, and I'm feeling better and people have begun noticing that I've lost weight. I'm not counting calories and I eat until I feel content, and I'm still losing weight.

Okay, I've been reading, but just haven't kept up with posting...BUT, the book I finshed today was so awesome, I just had to share!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

What an awesome book! It was one of those books where I will miss the characters now that I am done with the book! I'm afraid to even start another book today because I don't know that I can come up with another one that I will enjoy this much... Any suggestions????

Kathy

Books Read in 2011:

33. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

32. The Priest’s Graveyard by Ted Dekker

31. Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent

30. Inconceivable by Carolyn & Sean Savage

29. Cruel as the Grave by Sharon Kay Penman

28. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

27. Bringing Adam Home by Les Standiford

26. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

25. Immanuel’s Veins by Ted Dekker

24. The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant

23. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

22. The Devil in Pew Number Seven by Rebecca Nichols Alonzo

21. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

20. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

19. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

18. Radical by David Platt

17. Her Daughter’s Dream by Francine Rivers

16. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

15. Without a Word by Jill Kelly

14. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

13. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

12. Her Mother’s Hope by Francine Rivers

11. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

10. Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman

9. The Long Run by Matt Long

8. Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

7. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

6. Obsessed by Ted Dekker

5. Wicked by Gregory Maguire

4. Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

3. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

1. The Help by Katheryn Stockett

I read 4 books last week: Sweetie, Fragile, Why Me?, and The Glass Castle (don't have the authors on hand). This week I am reading Nightlight and trying to read The Trial by Kafka. I have been trying for awhile now. I am about halfway through and still trying to figure out what others have likes about it. I find it unbelievably boring. But, I am determined to finish it...even if I can only tolerate a few pages a day'

I'm doing great on my reading this year, too. I'm very happy about it. :) If everyone would let me, I would probably read all day. They keep wanting to eat! Ugh!

Two days ago I finished the 9th book or three trilogies I've been reading. It's been fun fiction for about 3 weeks or a month. They were the Farseer Trilogy, Tawny Man Trilogy and Live Ship Trilogy all by Robin Hobb. It's been fun.

Now I need to choose what to read next. So many books! :)

I finally finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I have been reading/thumbing through various London/UK travel books the last few weeks, so my regular reading has taken a back seat.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book;I know some WTMers weren't crazy about Fall of Giants because it lacked the epic feel of Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, but I really enjoyed the WWl history, dimensional characters, and interesting storyline.

I thought Follett did a good job of showing the tension present in Europe prior to and during WWl. And, I like how he provided the background to explain the start of the conflict. I felt his history and historical characters' portrayals were spot-on.

In fact, if it weren't for some "R-rated" scenes throughout the book, I think Fall of Giants would have been a good read for my teen as a supplement to her AP European History class she took this past year.

I'm looking forward to reading the second book in this trilogy.

Most of Ken Follett's novels don't have the epic fell of the Pillars of the Earth & its sequel; those are more of a depature from his usual style. I was surprised when I read that book because I'd read other novels of his. The Third Twin is different again and addresses some interesting issues regarding...wait, that will spoil it. If you read that book, don't read anything about it first, becuase it's much, much better that way. It's a contemporary novel.

Most of Ken Follett's novels don't have the epic fell of the Pillars of the Earth & its sequel; those are more of a depature from his usual style. I was surprised when I read that book because I'd read other novels of his. The Third Twin is different again and addresses some interesting issues regarding...wait, that will spoil it. If you read that book, don't read anything about it first, becuase it's much, much better that way. It's a contemporary novel.

Maybe I'll have to try that one.

I'm one (of the few?) who didn't really care for Pillars of the Earth. Perhaps if his other books are somewhat different in style, maybe I would like them (and Follett as an author) more...? Hmmm. Which of his books would be a good one to try if I didn't like Pillars of the Earth?

Maybe I'll have to try that one.

I'm one (of the few?) who didn't really care for Pillars of the Earth. Perhaps if his other books are somewhat different in style, maybe I would like them (and Follett as an author) more...? Hmmm. Which of his books would be a good one to try if I didn't like Pillars of the Earth?

Hmm, I read a number of his novels 20+ years ago, so am not the best person for this, although I have read a few over the past 15 years. I don't remember which title is which story. He has some that take place during WWII. My dad reads him, but not so much my mother, but she did like Pillars of the Earth. I have to say that the one I mentioned has some disturbing content, but that the best thing about it is the issue it is making commentary on, which you don't know at the beginning; in fact, you don't really know what he's saying until you're nearly done, although you do have a good idea. I did like some thing about Pillars of the Earth 20 years ago (but not everything), but couldn't take the sequel, so I just read the first and last parts and skipped a lot of the book, and I've liked a number of his novels.

The only Follett novels I've read have been his historical fiction books (my favorite genre)--Pillars, World Without End, and, Fall of Giants. I enjoyed each of these.

Many of his books are thrillers, right? Which is generally not my thing. I remember when Pillars was released, many were surprised because it was so different from what he had been writing previously.

I only finished seven books this month:

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth (Alexandra Robbins)

Non-fiction, education. Robbins argues that all of those weird, quirky, yes, geeky traits that make it difficult to find a table in the high school cafeteria will translate into measures of success in the "real" adult world (although the anecdotes for Regan, a twenty-four-year-old teacher, seem to argue against this premise). As one Amazon reviewer quipped, the book seems to explain "why the 'preps' are sometimes sitting by themselves at class reunions." Heh, heh, heh. As a parent-teacher, I am naturally interested in young people who stray from stereotype, so I did enjoy this book. NPR discusses it here.

Confessions of a Prairie B*tch (Alison Arngrim)

Memoir. What a thoroughly entertaining book! With an assured, distinctive, and thoroughly likeable voice, Arngrim describes her harrowing childhood, her life on the set, her castmates, and her journey into adulthood. Some readers may be shocked by her somewhat salty talk, but I was completely engaged. Recommended.

Pitch Uncertain (Maisie Houghton)

Memoir; review copy. Related entry here.

The Silent Land (Graham Joyce)

Fiction. A happily married if somewhat immature couple on winter holiday discovers the nature of love amid a series of unsettling events. This quickly-consumed novel reminded me of "LOST" and "The Twilight Zone," and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A Midsummer Night's Dream (William Shakespeare)

Play, classic. Related entries here and here.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Fiction. With the Misses. Family film night this weekend will Jeremy Brett's take on this classic. By the way, I read this and A Midsummer Night's Dream on the Kindle.

Robopocalypse (Daniel H. Wilson)

Science fiction. Weary of vampires and zombies? It's humans versus -- you guessed it! -- robots in this entertaining tale that is told in a manner similar to World War Z (Max Brooks), a book I keep promising myself to read (my son recommended it to me several times).

Bookmarked

Although the following are not included in the June count, I am nearly done with them / plan to finish them over the coming week (or two) of (mostly) digital fasting. *

A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change (Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown)

Education. This title appeared on a list of summer reading suggestions. Wish I could remember who sent me the list....

Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout (Lauren Redniss)

Biography, graphic book. What an artful combination of science and romance.

This Girl Is Different (J.J. Johnson)

Fiction. A mostly predictable YA treatment of the "homeschooled kid decides to attend public high school -- and change the world!" story.

The Hypnotist (Lars Kepler)

Fiction. Poolside reading courtesy of the wave of Nordic lit enjoying such popularity here in the States.

* It's nothing cryptic. It's not even inspired by recent reading. We're just a little busier than is our wont, and I know how to recover a couple of hours, right quick.

YEAR TO DATE: 51 books

June (reviews/discussion

here)

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth (Alexandra Robbins; non-fiction, education)

Confessions of a Prairie ***** (Alison Arngrim; memoir)

Pitch Uncertain (Maisie Houghton; memoir)

The Silent Land (Graham Joyce; fiction)

A Midsummer Night's Dream (William Shakespeare; play, classic)

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

Robopocalypse (Daniel H. Wilson; science fiction)

May (reviews/discussion

here)

Daughters-in-Law (Joanna Trollope; fiction)

Sempre Susan (Sigrid Nunez; memoir)

Gardening Step by Step (Phil Clayton, et al.)

John Brookes' Natural Landscapes (John Brookes)

Month-by-Month Gardening in Illinois (James A. Fizzell)

The New Gardener (Pippa Greenwood)

Glorious Gardens (Jacqueline Heriteau)

Midwest Top 10 Garden Guide (Bonnie Monte, ed.)

Midwest Gardens (Pamela Wolfe)

Low Maintenance Garden (Jenny Hendy)

The Complete Beginner's Guide to Archery (Bernhard A. Roth)

Know the Sport: Archery (John Adams)

Sherlock Holmes: More Short Stories (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton; YA fiction)

The Raising (Laura Kasischke; fiction)

The Life before Her Eyes (Laura Kasischke; fiction)

No Time for Goodbye (Linwood Barclay; fiction)

Too Close to Home (Linwood Barclay; fiction)

April (reviews/discussion

here)

Things a Brother Knows (Dana Reinhart; YA fiction -- the book that reminded me that I am, in fact, a reader)

Illyria (Elizabeth Hand; fiction)

The Merchant of Venice (William Shakespeare)

Model Home (Eric Puchner; fiction)

Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152 (David Petersen; graphic novel)

Mouse Guard, Volume 2: Winter 1152 (David Petersen; graphic novel)

The Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of a Child (Barbara D. Rosof)

Beyond Tears: Living after Losing a Child (Ellen Mitchell)

Love Never Dies: A Mother's Journey from Loss to Love (Sandy Goodman)

After the Death of a Child: Living with Loss through the Years (Ann K. Finkbeiner)

Trapped (Michael Northrop; YA fiction)

Sherlock Holmes: Short Stories (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

The Colony (Jillian Marie Weise; fiction)

The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (Neil Gaiman; graphic novel)

March (reviews/discussion

here)

The Source of All Things: A Memoir (Tracy Ross; memoir, review copy)

Heaven Is for Real (Todd Burpo; memoir, religion)

January (reviews/discussion

here)

The Nest Home Design Handbook (Carley Roney)

Decorating Ideas That Work (Heather J. Paper)

Speed Decorating (Jill Vegas)

Flip! for Decorating (Elizabeth Mayhew)

Home Decor: A Sunset Design Guide (Kerrie L. Kelly)

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (Amy Chua; memoir, parenting)

Macbeth (William Shakespeare)

The Other Side of the Island (Allegra Goodman; fiction)

A Lantern in Her Hand (Bess Streeter Aldrich; fiction)

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Winifred Watson; fiction)

The only Follett novels I've read have been his historical fiction books (my favorite genre)--Pillars, World Without End, and, Fall of Giants. I enjoyed each of these.

Many of his books are thrillers, right? Which is generally not my thing. I remember when Pillars was released, many were surprised because it was so different from what he had been writing previously.

He had written thrillers, but he also wrote books set in WW II era, etc. The only contemporary novel I have read of his is The Third Twin, and I'm not sure if he's written any other contemporary novels or not (can't remember and I haven't read everything he's written; some of the thrillers are also historical.)

It feels like cheating. I re-read Pride and Prejudice in fits and starts before bed over the past 5 months a paragraph here, a chapter there. I'm always kind of reading a Jane Austen this way.

I'm not going to review it. I'm going to do Sense and Sensibility next because I caught the end of the PBS Masterpiece-Classic video this week. They really do not get Col Brandon right in this version, he's more like a cowboy than a younger son.

I'm still working on Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies ... and it is fabulous. Might be my second favorite book of the year ... Island of the World is by far my favorite, but Caring for Words and A Mother's Rule are running neck and neck.

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.

7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book) - Anthony Esolen

8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym

9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin

10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

11. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp

12. Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer

13. Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer

14. The Convenient Marriage - Georgette Heyer

15. The Organized Heart - Staci Eastin

16. Your Home: A Place of Grace - Susan Hunt

17. Christian Encounters: Jane Austen - Peter Leithart

18. Bambi: A Life in the Woods - Victor Salten

19. Aunt Jane's Hero - Elizabeth Prentiss