Menu

Can you plz list anything from Netflix that you've loved for learning purposes?

HappyGrace

I am not really using my Netflix because their search function stinks! I want to fill up our queue this summer with lots of History Channel or cool science type things, documentaries, etc.-really anything that could be considered educational. My dc are 11 and 8 and I really want to stretch them in this way and spark some different fields of interest-we don't have cable and I think they'd enjoy some engaging educational dvds.

If there is already a thread on this, could you please link me? I've seen some of the "chronological history" Netflix threads, but nothing just in general. Thanks!

We love "Oceans" by Disney. It's beautiful and completely sustained my 4-year-old's attention for the entire time. At the same time, dh and I were completely captivated. I've also seen a lot of people who really love Beakman's World. (Around here, we're still into the Leapfrog videos and Sid the Science Kidm but I realize your kids may be a little above that ;))

We're enjoying the Leonard Bernstein Young People's Concerts series. The episodes are one full hour - and there are three to a disk - so we just watch one episode a week.

I am pleasantly surprised so far with my kids' reception - but I don't want to chance trying to fit more episodes in per week!

My kids have liked anything IMAX or National Geographic and they have some great science documentaries, even history. We love the Young People's Concerts by Leonard Bernstein. Also biographies are great, though you might want to make sure they are ok first. I have a huge list of things in my queue but those stand out to me. If they like NASA or space, there are some great ones there too. Let me know if you want more exact names.

Secrets of Jerusalem

The Jewish People: A Story of Survival

Candle in the Wind

Watercolors: Introduction to Still Life

American Expereince: Panama Canal

The natural History of the Chicken

Colony (bees)

Secret life of plants

guns germs steel

the photographers

the art of the steal

people of the wind

the discoverers: Imax

400 years of the telescope

mine

dog town

science of dogs

dogs decoded

how smart are animals

life of birds

conquistadors

when worlds collide

children of chabannes

inside the embassy

elizabeth cady stanton and susan b. anthony

here i stand martin luther

radio bikini

greatest presidents

building pharaohs ship

lost ships of rome

flying cheap

mighty machines

making stuff

rat attack

pluto files

gone with the wind

bizarre foods

big cat diary

between the lines

van gogh

strange days on planet earth 2

the agony and the ecstasy

the call of the wild

inn of the sixth happiness

robinson crusoe

around the world in 80 days

christopher columbus

botany bay

alexander the great

memphis belle

battle for warsaw

gallipoli

Thank you for these-wow, this will really help!

Hunter, THANK YOU for taking the time to list those-they look fantastic! (I've been following several of your posts lately, both here and on the hs board, and they are always so thought-provoking and Lord-honoring. I love the things in your siggy too. Thank you for your presence and your wisdom here.)

PlumCrazy-thanks for the searching tip!

Can't wait to fill up my queue!!

Funny, I just posted a couple of posts on my Blog and on Squidoo about this very topic. Did you know there is a fantastic catagory called Homework Help that has all of the IMAX movies right there? Along with a bunch of science lessons, math, history, live theater performances and art movies?

Click on Browse DVD/Genres/Special Interest/Homework Help

I also posted a whole list of search terms for specific science catagories and I started on movies. I plan to do history next.

Here's a direct link to the search tips:

http://www.new2homeschooling.com/2011/06/searching-for-science-on-netflix.html

What a great tip! Thanks.

Thank you HappyGrace! :-) I haven't previewed all of them yet, so approach with some caution. I adore netflix, but the search feature is just torture. Sometimes even putting in the exact title, doesn't bring up the movie, especially while in the ipad app.

I'll be watching this thread closely for ideas :-)

Liberty's Kids

Creatures That Defy Evolution

River Monsters

Wild China

Leap Frog (lots of them are there!)

IMAX

Discover ____ (china, italy, etc.)

Drive Thru History

CyberChase

Sid the Science Kid

Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That

Disney Earth

.... there's more but this is what comes to mind for now!

I just found a ton more...

There's a ton of VeggieTales.

Adventures in Odyssey

TorchLighters

Chica, Chica, 123

Goodnight Moon

The Borrowers

Indian in the Cupboard

The Prince of Egypt

Activity TV

Roach Approach (cartoon, faith based)

Max Lucado children's Treasury

Bug Rangers

Praise Baby

Wonder's of God's Creation

English Punctuation

Hermie and Friends

Angel Wars

Scripture Bugs

So Many Feathers: Bird Watching

Dragons or Dinosaurs?

Lots of National Geographic

NOVA

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Avalon High

God of Wonders

From A to Z: Alphabet of Prayers

Animal Planet

Masterpiece Classic

Edited by hmschooling

Night

Into the Pride

Hunter Hunted

Feeding Frenzy

How Smart Are Animals?

Dinosaur Train

Greatest Heros and Legends of the Bible

MythBusters

Super Why

Discovery Atlas

Tall Tales & Legends

The Case for Faith

Martha Speaks

Pinky Dinky Doo

The Electric Company (new one)

Mighty Machines

How'd They Build That?

America's Godly Heritage (Wallbuilders)

The Fanny Cosby Story

John Wycliff

Max Lucado 3:16

Foot Steps of Goliath (not sure which side this takes)

Babylon: Past, Present, and Future

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

HappyGrace & Infomom,

Glad I could be of help. :001_smile:

For History:

The kids loved Liberty's Kids and still ask to watch it.

I :iagree:Netflix searches need to be improved. I'm hoping they will fix it soon, since I want to cut back (or off) cable and just go Netflix.

Xbox is supposed to be adding live tv with dvr options in the fall, so *crosses fingers* I can get rid of cable completely. In fact, they are adding their Bing search service to xbox, so you can search for everything media-related easier. For example, you type in (or say)Tigers and it will show everything tiger-related in xbox media, including Netflix movies, Hulu shows and music through Zune. (Yes, I'm a techie girl ;)) It might finally be a reason to get rid of cable and get a second xbox.

Here's some more links for you:

http://instantwatcher.com/genres/130 - All Instant Netflix movies listed in a more searchable manner

http://www.new2homeschooling.com/search/label/Netflix - My lists of science movies

http://science-documentaries.com/ - Access to science-related documentaries and lectures

You're making me wish we had an xbox now! We have no TV stations or cable, but we do access Netflix from our Wii or Playstation3. But it doesn't do all that you listed the xbox will do!! :tongue_smilie:

The Revolution (History Channel; 13 episodes-long). DC (13) loves it. DC (9) likes it, but there are some sections of it that are questionable in terms of age-appropriateness. It definitely focuses on the war aspect of the revolution, rather than the Continental Congress aspect....

Edited by Persephone

The PBS series

colonial house

frontier house

1940's house

We like to watch those together.

Also,

All creatures Great and Small: These are just before and just after WW2, also interesting in the types of things that vets do.

The Good Life (sometimes Good Neighbors), not as educational, although it is about sustainability and self-sufficiency. I like it as it is funny, and about people who decide to go against the grain and do things there way.

the john adams series i would think is for junior high/high school. i can't remember ever scene, but there is one that john adams hadn't seen abagail for awhile when he was in france. you don't see anything very explicit, but you know what they were doing. you may want to watch the episode first before your young watches to make your own decision. my 8th grader watched it and we had no problems with it, but i know this varies from family to family. also, the this is the series that was on hbo a few years back that won all the awards. we used the series as a precursor before heading to the east coast for a revolutionary fieldtrip. it was amazing! we went to boston, all the areas around it and then took train to philly.

angel