Menu

I'm glad I had my K-4th grader memorize_______

mhg

Looking for some good memorization suggestions for my K'er but would like to hear any/all suggestions for K - 4th to add to the future list as well.

I'm mainly looking for poems, quotes, creeds, prayers, practical education stuff (helping verb lists, tables, etc.), and really any suggestions other than Scripture as I have that covered.

Thanks.

pronouns, prepositions, 8 parts of speech, definitions of the 8 parts of speech...this were a blessing to already have the knowledge of these when we hit in it our grammar books...she breezed through those parts all because she knew them and was familar with them. I am having my K'er memorize these starting this year!

I agree in memorizing the 8 parts of speech and their definitions.

Know the verbs of being/linking verbs and how to distinguish them from helping verbs

Don't worry about memorizing very long list of prepositions but, instead, identify the prepositional phrase as starting with a preposition followed by an article and noun and describes position/location and you can go back

and confirm if a word is acting as a preposition

Memorize 30 Days Hath September to determine how many days in each month

Start becoming familiar with the time line and memorizing some of the major events in the different periods of time and allude to those as they learn of new events

I decided to learn the Declaration of Independence just for fun, and it's totally cute when my not-quite-6-y-o chimes right in! She asks me to recite it all the time; she says it's like listening to a story.

It's just fun to memorize anything - I think poems, especially. I do second Andrew Campbell's memory work book; it's really nice to have so many things in one place.

Edited by Mrs_JWM
Added info.

My son has really liked learning some popular poems. His favorite one so far has been Robert Frost's "The Pasture," but he also memorized "A Time to Talk" just for fun. Scholastic published a series of poetry books aimed at kids (i.e. nothing too morbid), and DS loves them. We have Langston Hughes, Emily Dickenson, Robert Frost, Carl Sandburg, and Edgar Allen Poe. I'm not sure if there are more or not. Anyway, that's where he picks his poetry to learn.

I memorized some comical poems when I was in Jr. High and I still can't get them out of my head. My kids love to hear them and even my grown sisters request them occasionally, lol... We're dorks.

Here's one:

REBECCA

(who slammed doors for fun and perished miserably)

by Hillaire Belloc

trick that everyone abhors

In little girls is slamming doors.

A wealthy banker's little daughter

Who lived in Palace Green, Bayswater

(By name Rebecca Offendort),

Was given to this furious sport.

She would deliberately go

And slam the door like Billy-ho!

To make her uncle Jacob start.

She was not really bad at heart,

But only rather rude and wild;

She was an aggravating child....

It happened that a Marble Bust

Of Abraham was standing just

Above the Door this little Lamb

Had carefully prepared to slam,

And down it came! It knocked her flat!

It laid her out! She looked like that.

Her funeral Sermon (which was long

And followed by a sacred song)

Mentioned her Virtues, it is true,

But dwelt upon her Vices too,

And showed the Deadful End of One

Who goes and slams the door for fun.

The children who were brought to hear

The awful tale from far and near

Were much impressed, and inly swore

They never more would slam the Door...

As often they had done before.

We use Living Memory. So far we've memorized: math facts, major rivers, mountains, ancient wonders, state capitals, presidents (actually still on presidents), and various science facts. I have a morning routine (a la morning circle time) consisting of prayers, memorization, and read aloud. It's a nice way to start the morning :)

Schoolhouse Rock songs -- preamble to the constitution among others, and the skip counting number songs "three is a magic number, yes it is.... 3 6 9, 12 15 18... 21 24 27 ... 30!"

Poems from the Ancient Rhymes for Ancient Times series! Very cute, and a fun way to remember some history details. Watch carefully for reasonable used pricing on the books so you don't get fleeced. It took me a long time to assemble a set.

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

Do any of you have suggestions for CDs with songs or jingles with things like months of the year, etc? My oldest is entering first grade, and I'd like to have a few audio options when we are driving around.

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread.

The Wee Sing America CD is good for memorizing. Also, the Lyrical Life Science CDs, the Song School Latin CD and the FLL companion CD. We use all of these and more.

I like Robert Louis Stevenson and Lewis Carroll a lot. We memorize the poems from FLL fairly quickly so I have thrown and couple of those in between.

I also like the Living Memory book.

CC memory material is very good. The cds and cards can be purchased without the need to be part of CC group.

Check out http://www.audiomemory.com/. We use Georaphy Songs by AMP. Song School Latin by Classic Accademic Prss was a hit with us.

In the fall, We will be adding Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization, States & Capitals Songs next year.

gsetio, thank you for posting grammar stage memorization by Hannah Wilson. I will adding this to our memory material.

Also, Living Memory looks great too.

My oldest is only now in 1st grade, and the twins are only in Pre-K, but I'm glad I have them memorize:

• a TON of poetry
  • a TON of songs
  • hymns & worship songs
  • books of OT & NT
  • A-Z memory verses
  • seven "I Am" statements of Jesus
  • ten commandments
  • days of creation
  • seven virtues (faith, hope, charity, temperance, prudence, fortitude & justice)
  • seven vices (lust, gluttony, greed/avarice, sloth, wrath, envy & pride)
  • twelve tribes of Israel
  • twelve disciples of Jesus
  • 50 states (USA)
  • Geography songs (world) by Audio Memory (Troxel)--We were at an amusement park today, waiting in line for a roller coaster and the girls were all singing "The Southern Border of the United States" in twangy accents. I said, "Who sings this song while waiting to ride a roller coaster? Who?" And my daughter said (in a twangy accent), "We do, Momma." :lol:
  • Anything from the First Language Lessons CD -- It's not uncommon for the 4.5 year old twins to break out in song at the grocery store, usually singing something normal, such as "The Preposition Song." :001_huh: We get strange looks on those days. We shrug and say, "They're home schooled." Oh, that explains it.

We are not up to 4th grade yet, but by the time we get there, the goal is to memorize much, much more -- especially a good part of the Latin grammar forms, more Bible passages, more hymns, more poetry, and a basic historical timeline. HTH.