Menu

If you have used SWR...please chime in.

cheryl h

A dear friend is starting her homeschooling journey this next fall and is having a hard time deciding on curriculum. She has been shown a sample of SWR, but is not sure how user friendly it is. Please share your experiences both good and bad if you have used it, attempted to use it, or just general impressions. Many thanks.

SWR has a big teacher learning curve but is quite simple once you get your head wrapped around it.

You need to be committed to learning the program. Well worth learning but definitely an investment. I not only use what I have learned with my own children but others (student and adult) who have struggles reading.

You need to be committed to teaching the program. Time well spent IMO but will not be a good fit if someone wants a program where the child can be self-directed.

It works best if you can have someone to mentor you until you get a grip on the program yourself.

Here's a link for the SWR Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpellToWriteAndRead/

and a site with really helpful info: http://www.swrtraining.com/index.html

I'm trying to use it to learn phonics so that I can spell better (I'm self-educating and it's slow going! -but I have lots going on, so that is not a reflection on the SWR program)

I like that the basic kit (about $100 ) is all you need - a 1-time purchase - used every year. You need new learning logs every year. There are extras-supplementals that help - but not absolutely necessary.

Best wishes

We've been using SWR for about 8 months. DS is at the end of "level" J (he is ending Kindergarten).

I hate and love SWR.

I think WRTR (which is cheaper) spells out how to teach better than SWR. I was completely overwhelmed by SWR until I read WRTR (which one can get at the library but I eventually bought). I don't think like Mrs. Sanseri so her "helps" drove me NUTS. For others, the "helps" may actually help.

I don't think that there is a more thorough spelling program than Spalding. I keep looking through workbooks and thinking 1. My son knows WAY more than this and 2. This isn't taught systematically.

There is a large learning curve, but after a few months it is open and go. I only made it through those few months because a good friend of mine had told me it was the strongest program around and I believed her.

Emily

Took me 40 hours to read and absorb the manual, and then it was easy and obvious what to do each week. 10min prep on Sunday night to make sure I knew what the week held.

It did not take to the end of the book for my son to "get it." It took about 2 years (ages 8 and 9) Now at 10, he studies the words independently (no dictation) and marks them, and I just give him a quiz. He will be done at the end of 6th grade.

He was a terrible and I mean terrible speller, which is why I got the program. I do think it is the best for a child like mine. I did not realize until later that his speech issues (auditory processing) meant that he mapped the letters to the wrong sounds from a young age. He was an early and quick reader (Hobbit at age 6, Eragon by 7), but spelling was FAR behind. SWR has fixed his problems, and it only took 2 years. This I consider a miracle.

My younger son started it at 5, worked through all the phonograms, and some of the rule cards, and by 6 hated it. We have, believe it or not, moved to spelling workout. Which looks to be ideal for him.

The wonders of homeschooling.... tailor the program to the child.

Ruth in NZ

SWR has a big teacher learning curve but is quite simple once you get your head wrapped around it.

You need to be committed to learning the program. Well worth learning but definitely an investment. I not only use what I have learned with my own children but others (student and adult) who have struggles reading.

You need to be committed to teaching the program. Time well spent IMO but will not be a good fit if someone wants a program where the child can be self-directed.

It works best if you can have someone to mentor you until you get a grip on the program yourself.

:iagree:

When I was looking into using SWR, I heard people complain (on forums) about how difficult it was to understand. So, once I had it in my hands (and very intimidated by it's reputation) I just breathed deeply and read slowly. Honestly, it really wasn't that bad! I did need a little time to read, re-read and follow the steps and let it soak in...but all the pieces did fall into place. Doing a log book for myself was a very practical help. We enjoyed it (true learning is fun) for about 2 years, but felt ready to lay it down after that. We learned alot in that short time though. It's the only "spelling" program that I ever stuck with for any length of time, and I still own it.

Geo

Edited by Geo

Lisa

It wasn't hard at all for me to understand and implement. I listened to the advice and made my own logbook right away. That was the most useful thing I did. It took a couple of evenings and we were off and running. I make my own schedules at the beginning of each year tailored to each dc and it's open-and -go from that point. We are in our third year and I'm still very happy with the program. I've used it as my sole phonics and spelling programs for my two oldest and am just starting spelling with my K'er. It is very teacher intensive but the foundation it builds is worth it for me.

Wanda has a DVD out now that would make the process even easier. I am planning on buying it but haven't gotten my hands on it yet. Supposedly it contains a lot of the information taught in the seminar.

SWR is based on Romalda Spalding's work WRTR. I think Wanda was trying to improve the program by making it more explicit, in that the WRTR is a bit vague in spots and hard to implement without training. The fault with SWR is that the author went a bit too far. It is very hard to decipher the process until you've been swimming in the ocean of information contained in SWR.

I taught Spalding's phonics in kindergarten and second grade at a classical school before coming home to teach my own kids. It was really complex and had a long learning curve. That said, when it came to teaching my own kids. Spalding's system (laid out anew in SWR) was the one I chose. It's very thorough and rather simple for kids in that it's explicit phonics and there are few exceptions to the rules. (The rules of spelling, that is.)

AAS is a very similar program, but it teaches in units where all the spelling words follow a certain rule, the new rule for the unit. Since we don't spell in a box, I felt this was an inferior way to learn.

There is quite a bit of information in SWR that could be considered optional. She has a chapter on literature and the like. SWR is actually a complete language arts program. If you eliminate these things and use the spelling program alone, you will find it easier to implement at first anyway.

All in all, I think if you can get through the mountain of words in SWR, you'll find in the end it's a great program. If you're kid is a natural speller, however, it would be possible to use something less explicit. My oldest is dyslexic and it is a no brainer to use SWR.

One more note, she suggests making your own learning log of spelling words and rules. Many people try to skip this step. Don't. Having done it yourself keeps you two steps ahead and makes it so much easier to teach your child.

Hope this helps! :001_smile:

I used SWR Kindy and 1st grade, and part of 2nd for my oldest. It was a complete flop for him. I tried it "as written - by the book" and I tried tweaking it to fit ds's needs, and I tried it "as written - by the book" again...and it just didn't work for him.

I know the program well. I do think it's an efficient way to teach *most* kids how to read and spell. My oldest is simply not *most* kids. He spelled sections A-I very well (went through them a few times:tongue_smilie:), but did not spontaneously read. He needs work in other areas before reading can take off (visual perception, to be specific)...so SWR would never work for him as a lone LA program.

After using SWR this long, I picked up a cheap copy of WRTR and sold SWR. I can do Spalding with just that manual (easily) if I decide to go that route with my other dc. It is an efficient use of school time, and it's a solid program. The Wise Guide is nice, and I like the grammar worksheets that you can purchase, but those things wouldn't be enough for me to spend the $ on SWR again.

...just my .02

I have used SWR for several years and find it to be a very solid program. I was lucky enough to attend a seminar to prepare me to teach it which gave me a great jump start, but I do not think that it is hard to understand. There are also on-line helps and training videos. Once you understand how the pieces fit together it's just pick up and go. My two oldest children used it for several years and then just needed a break to do something different. They did Phonetic zoo level B independently which gave me a chance to concentrate on my third child through the program. Now my oldest two are finished with PZ and will go back to SWR to complete the last few levels. I appreciate that the program can be used for multiple children wherever they are - it is flexible and complete.

My 2 older boys learned SWR when they were in a classical school, so I thought I would just continue it when we started to homeschool. It took more time for me to lesson plan and implement than any other subject I did with my kids, and it really didn't work for my middle son (who's dyslexic). In my experience, SWR only works for the "traditional" student. The phonogram cards are great, but I'm just not a SWR fan. I think that All About Spelling is a much friendlier version of SWR, and it's multi-sensory so that it appeals to all types of learners (and the lesson plans are straight-forward...no taking 30 min to figure out a lesson plan!).

I really like SWR because it is flexible and easy on the budget. It is especially good for kids that are not working consistently at grade level, because you get everything you need for K-12, including diagnostic tests. So you can move a child up or down levels without incurring additional expense.

You have to really buy into the philosophy if you are going to use it. It is a program for the long haul. You have to understand that the for a month, you have to spend wrapping your brain around the program. (Admittedly, the book is not very user-friendly.) Then you are going to spend the next 2-4 weeks doing preliminary exercises with your child (diagnostic tests, learning phonograms, doing reference pages) before you ever break out the spelling lists. You may feel like it is a waste of time, but it is not. It is all vital and worth your while.

Wanda has a DVD out now that would make the process even easier. I am planning on buying it but haven't gotten my hands on it yet. Supposedly it contains a lot of the information taught in the seminar.

Could you tell me the name of this video, please?:001_smile:

I want to order it also!

When I was looking into using SWR, I heard people complain (on forums) about how difficult it was to understand. So, once I had it in my hands (and very intimidated by it's reputation) I just breathed deeply and read slowly. Honestly, it really wasn't that bad! I did need a little time to read, re-read and follow the steps and let it soak in...but all the pieces did fall into place.

I used it for 18 months for teaching reading not spelling. Kiddo was pretty good at it, and it was a morale booster for us, as it took him to nearly 7.5 to read smoothly. In SWR he was "ahead".

I'm glad he/I learned the "finger spelling" hints, he liked the flash cards, it was not painful, etc.

I got the guide and as I skimmed, I put a slash through all the extraneous stuff (e.g. her opinions about these dastardly new dictionaries, or talking up the benefits of her own program ... some might find these "affirming" etc, but they were not HOW to do the program). Then I learned the phonograms and rules myself ... pat. Then we started with the cards and the making of the letters. As we were doing this, I practiced the finger-hints and wrote in secular "example" sentences so I wouldn't have to alter on the fly.

By the time kiddo had the phonograms pat, we were off and flying. I think it was a rewarding program, but not for everyone.

I'll read the other replies, but could I kindly say that using SWR has nothing to do with user-friendly? You use SWR because you *need* SWR. If you don't need SWR and aren't motivated to learn the method, then go find something else that is more open and go. Many children will do JUST FINE without SWR. Some won't. My dd reads astonishingly well, inspite of some genes and a bent that are probably dyslexia, so I bless the day I found SWR. However if you don't have concerns like that and time is limited, I wouldn't feel guilty about chosing something you find more practical.

Now, as far as SWR being practical, I happen to have a Quick and Dirty Guide to Getting Started with SWR for free on lulu. It has been several years since I wrote it, and in that time I'm guessing Sanseri has made some changes. I think last time I talked with her she was working on improving the start-up information. She has probably done that. SWR is NOT open and go. She's going to need to spend some time to learn the method. But it is, in the end, so simple that truly a friend could show you or my guide could show you and have you up and running pretty quickly.

The other thing that bothers people is the insecurity of knowing how they should implement it. How much practice does your kid need? Should you do it this way or that? How much repetition? And after you do use the materials long enough, you'll meet people who do it LOTS of ways. There's not just one way. Again, that makes some people uncomfortable. But it means it's flexible. There are so many enrichment options for each set of 20 words that you're going to find PLENTY of ways to practice to work on retention.

I love the AAS magnetic tiles and recommend you buy (or make something similar) to use with SWR. The AAS approach with the tiles is just extremely good. In fact, owning AAS 1-6, I have to say I like it a lot. SWR is a more powerful tool for getting to advanced levels quickly or teaching multiple kids, but AAS brings a lot to the table. For the right situation, AAS is a terrific option with a similar approach. AAS is also open and go.

I love SWR, but I always tell people that it is not for the faint of heart. If a child is a natural speller with no reading problems, most parents would not consider it worth their time. As OhElizabeth said, people use this program because the child needs the program. When you have a child who struggles like mine did with reading and spelling, you make it a priority, I used OhElizabeth's Quick and Dirty Guide to get it started. It was very helpful. As others have stressed, it is very important to make your own log before you start teaching your kids. It is the best way to learn the program.

HTH,

Joy

Thank you! Off to order it!

I watched it a few times last summer. Wanda is great. I was able to attend her advanced class since she lives locally. Lots of great info.

I modify SWR but keep the soul of the program in tact here. My dds love marking words in their learning log with that red pencil.

Yes, it's time consuming and the learning curve is steep.

My natural speller doesn't need it as much as my not-so-natural speller.

Dd8 uses the Alpha List. Very handy.

I bought every element to the program. Literally. I wish I could say I used the games and the audio collection. So little time to get to everything I want to do.

All 4 of my dc have used SWR in some shape or form. I recommend it for moms who want a very hands-on, teacher-intensive spelling program.

I bought it because dd was having a terrible time with phonics and spelling. I never really implemented the program fully the way it was intended. It did help me a great deal with teaching phonics. I have a better understanding of how words are put together, why words are spelled the way they are, and how to teach phonograms. I still use the phongram flashcards, the word lists and the markings. I think it's a good program.

In the attachments you'll find what i think of SWR. :) I took this picture somewhere after the second week of re-reading the first 12 steps of this program over and over.

After 4 weeks of reading the 12 steps, i was wishing we hadn't invested in it. My daughter picked up the diagraming of words quicker than i, but now her chief complaint is about how boring this program is--she gets tired of the constant repetition of rules and phonics that she understood the first time they were taught (that visual learning at work, eh?) We started at the beginning as Ms. Sanseri suggested, however, that is what killed the love/hate relationship we had with this program.

On another note: even though we are respectably regilious in our family, my child found the constant bible quotations and reference to religion annoying and useless--i.e. in the sentences that were supposed to help define words through context promoted confusion more often than understanding.

We've manipulated it to work for us...we went through the first 12 steps and the extra pages of phonetic learning, however now we just review the spelling rules and phonetics at our leisure (read "when we have a problem figuring out a listed word) and since my child is more of a tactile/visual learner, we use the American Sign Language alphabet to spell the words in the weekly list.

We are going back to Spelling Workout...and my daughter thinks she would like to keep up signing out the words in SWR. :)

post-10903-13535085025542_thumb.jpg

post-10903-13535085025542_thumb.jpg

On another note: even though we are respectably regilious in our family, my child found the constant bible quotations and reference to religion annoying and useless--i.e. in the sentences that were supposed to help define words through context promoted confusion more often than understanding.

I don't use the sample sentences in the Wise Guide. I wing it. :)

I love SWR, but I always tell people that it is not for the faint of heart. If a child is a natural speller with no reading problems, most parents would not consider it worth their time. As OhElizabeth said, people use this program because the child needs the program. When you have a child who struggles like mine did with reading and spelling, you make it a priority
It's interesting that you say this, because it was the exact opposite for us. SWR only worked for my natural speller. The other 2 were dying (and crying!) with it. I took the course, spent hours studying the books and coming up with lesson plans, and they just didn't get it. I even went back a few levels from where my middle son left off in school and he still didn't get it. I thought if I taught it to him very slowly, it would click. It ended up being like speaking slowly to someone who doesn't know English and expecting to be understood. Yes, he aced the tests each week because he memorized for the test, but got almost every word wrong when he spelled it in context. Granted, he has dyslexia and a host of other issues, so maybe that played into it. He reads and comprehends several levels above grade, but still struggles to spell.

We like the sentences in the Wise guide and my kids and I will often talk about them and what they mean.

It's interesting that you say this, because it was the exact opposite for us. SWR only worked for my natural speller. The other 2 were dying (and crying!) with it.

That is interesting. My daughter has an auditory processing disorder and I am not sure she would have ever learned to read without SWR. I hope you were able to find something more successful for your struggling learners.

Joy

I'll read the other replies, but could I kindly say that using SWR has nothing to do with user-friendly? You use SWR because you *need* SWR. If you don't need SWR and aren't motivated to learn the method, then go find something else that is more open and go. Many children will do JUST FINE without SWR. Some won't. My dd reads astonishingly well, inspite of some genes and a bent that are probably dyslexia, so I bless the day I found SWR. However if you don't have concerns like that and time is limited, I wouldn't feel guilty about chosing something you find more practical.

I love the AAS magnetic tiles and recommend you buy (or make something similar) to use with SWR. The AAS approach with the tiles is just extremely good.

:iagree: I picked up SWR in the face of some bad dyslexia genes, and started very early, but as with a lot of homeschooling, the kingpin of the whole thing is educating ME. I hadn't learned the spelling rules and phonograms. Wasn't taught when I was a kid. I had look-say, read late, but caught up soon. I wasn't going to leave that chance of failure on our table, so SWR it was. While I didn't stick with it once kiddo could read, I am very glad I did it. I do believe the book could have used a merciless editor, but learn the method I did, and it was one of the joys of our K and 1st grades. It gave kiddo confidence.

That is interesting. My daughter has an auditory processing disorder and I am not sure she would have ever learned to read without SWR. I hope you were able to find something more successful for your struggling learners.

Joy

Thanks, Joy, we did. I used Apples and Pears which was written for dyslexic kids. Now that we've finished that, I'm considering All About Spelling. I wish I had known about it from the beginning. It incorporates what I liked about SWR (phonograms and spelling rules), but it seems more manageable. I also love that it's multi-sensory, because my 2 struggling spellers are non-traditional learners.

I should clarify that my kids read several levels above grade, and I do credit SWR with that. They can de-code phonograms with the best of them. It's spelling that's the problem.