Menu

I wish this board could be split into "General share/care" and "Education Related"

The main menu of the forum is broken down into educational (k-8, high school, college, special needs, accelerated, etc, and all the sub categories) and the "general" which is where we discuss just about anything else (and a smattering of school related things), along with For Sale and other things. Hope that helps! There is so much valuable info on the other boards!

Amen! The general board description is mainly for " general questions about classical education methods, teaching techniques, readiness, supplemental activities, field trips, assessments, frustrations, online resources, etc." and then they add "or just for hanging out and chatting!". It would be great if there was a General board, a General Education board, and a Curriculum Board... imho

I know about the curriculum board (read it a lot), but it is mainly good for looking at a curriculum, for example, "Would you use WRTR or SWR?" or "RightStart or Singapore?", not considering questions like, "How can I help my child retell stories better?" - more general education-related than curriculum related.

The curriculum board is pretty dangerous if you're generally happy with curricula - it'd be great to have a board for education discussions that weren't so curriculum specific.

Emily

Amen! The general board description is mainly for " general questions about classical education methods, teaching techniques, readiness, supplemental activities, field trips, assessments, frustrations, online resources, etc." and then they add "or just for hanging out and chatting!". It would be great if there was a General board, a General Education board, and a Curriculum Board... imho

I guess the General Board seems to be more about people's lives - "Going to the hospital", "Friend's husband laid off" - which is certainly fine. But I'm looking for the education-related posts and it is pretty hard to find them in the haystack of general life posts.

Emily

I guess the General Board seems to be more about people's lives - "Going to the hospital", "Friend's husband laid off" - which is certainly fine. But I'm looking for the education-related posts and it is pretty hard to find them in the haystack of general life posts.

Emily

Have you seen the K-8 Curriculum Board? It's way more than just curriculum. I ask all types of hs academic questions.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Alley

Have you seen the K-8 Curriculum Board? It's way more than just curriculum. I ask all types of hs academic questions.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Alley

I read the description and posted a school-related question here the other day and only got two replies. I forgot about the K-8 board, which probably would have been a better place to post it. Thanks for the reminder.:)

Emily

then maybe you shouldn't come to the general board. Stick to the K-8 board. I did it for years myself and am SO glad I tested the waters on the General Board. It sounds like the GB isn't a fit for you.

I thought it already was that way.

I sort of see that. On the other hand education feels like my general life so I don't know how to separate. :D

:iagree:

Sometimes I think that the general board is the only general life I have.:lol: Wait a minute, and someone will post a kilt picture and really throw folks off.

Amen to that! :lol:

I think the division is already there...

I'm thankful as well for the General Forum. Often times the things that are on my mind are the things that someone is brave enough to post and share with all of us.

We're teachers, parents, friends, spouses...we all need a little something now and then. :D

The General Board is the Teachers' Lounge. :tongue_smilie:

I think you could post general ed questions on the curriculum board. I do. :leaving:

Yeah, this is the same set-up the boards before this forum layout was adopted. It's likely going to be difficult to make changes since it's been this way for a while.

Also, traffic on the boards go down when splits happen, which is obvious since a board becomes very specific. I much prefer the General board to stay the Teacher's Lounge.