Menu

Colored Braces

My dd will be getting her braces on in a couple of weeks, and she's thinking about color choice. So far, shocking pink is at the top of the list. If you have a kid with braces, did they get the colored ones? Were they happy with their choice later, or did the novelty wear off? How did they look? Does age matter (dd is 14yo)? Of course I'm leaving it up to her, and I tried not to look like :blink: when she told me, but secretly I'm thinking it sounds atrocious. Tell me I'm wrong and that she'll look adorable. :tongue_smilie:

My 11 yo has had braces for the last two years. You get to pick a new color every time your braces are adjusted. Currently he is on a seasonal kick. For Easter he went with L. Pink, L. Blue, and L. Yellow. Right now he has 4th of July colors. It's rare that they have the same bands on for more that 7 weeks, she should be able to wear the whole rainbow before they come off.

Both my girls have done the colored ones. But it's the chains that are colored, and they're changed every couple months. They've had lots of different colors. Green was gross, but everything else has been cute.

Yes, neon green was what she originally wanted, but I told her green was not a good choice for anything related to teeth.

Okay, if it's not something she'll have to live with for the whole 2-3 years, I guess shocking pink isn't too bad.

My 11 yo has had braces for the last two years. You get to pick a new color every time your braces are adjusted. Currently he is on a seasonal kick. For Easter he went with L. Pink, L. Blue, and L. Yellow. Right now he has 4th of July colors. It's rare that they have the same bands on for more that 7 weeks, she should be able to wear the whole rainbow before they come off.

Sounds pretty cute! :lol:

I agree with all the above posters. DD usually goes seasonal with hers. The only colors that were a problem were black (just too dreary--though combined with orange for Halloween was okay) and white (turned yellow pretty quickly from ketchup, etc.).

My dd will be getting her braces on in a couple of weeks, and she's thinking about color choice. So far, shocking pink is at the top of the list. If you have a kid with braces, did they get the colored ones? Were they happy with their choice later, or did the novelty wear off? How did they look? Does age matter (dd is 14yo)? Of course I'm leaving it up to her, and I tried not to look like :blink: when she told me, but secretly I'm thinking it sounds atrocious. Tell me I'm wrong and that she'll look adorable. :tongue_smilie:

My sister has had every color imaginable...so far she only didn't like the green ones

her favorite was pink though...:001_smile:

Okay, I'm starting to get into it and see all the fun possibilities now! :001_smile: Besides green, black, and white, are there other colors that don't wear as well? And it sounds like you can have a different color on each tooth, is that correct?

Dd says:

Light pink is best- they make your teeth look white. Yellow and white are the worst as they make your teeth look yellow. White fades and looks gross.

Like others have said, it's the bands that go around the brace (the part that is stuck to the tooth) and the power chain that they sometimes use that is a color. They are changed out every time they go to the ortho, so they can change colors anytime they want to - I had braces a couple of years ago & even I had fun with it. They also get dirty quickly & if I was speaking in front of people I'd go in and they'd change them to a neutral "pearl" color so that they weren't obvious or stained.

I did find that the "pearl" color stained less than the clear ones. The clear ones would pick up tomato, coffee stains, etc.

My dd is 12 and had braces put on in Jan. She gets a different color every time she goes in for a "tightening". Right now she has a rainbow. One of every color...pretty actually. July will be red, white and blue....:lol: and maybe orange for fall and red/green for Christmas...I don't know. She does enjoy changing the colors though.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I don't like the glow-in-the-dark ones on my boys. I think they look yellowish, which makes their teeth look yellow. I keep that opinion to myself, though. They are the ones who have to wear the braces so I leave the colors up to them entirely.

Right now my oldest son has Air Force Academy colors (to look good with his CAP blues uniform) and my second son has very light blue.

:lol: We've had young friends get these -- all kinds of colors. Sometimes seasonal, sometimes for a favorite sports team, school colors, you name it. If it makes the discomfort of braces a little more bearable for dd, I agree with you -- let it be her choice. (maybe not day-glo....!)

Warning!! The yellow ones make it look like they have a chronic case of cheese wiz stuck in their teeth. At least it is only temporary. Look out at the end when they get their retainers because they can pick the colors for those too.:lol: