Menu

Year round schooling due to S/N?

Just curious who else is schooling year round because of S/N. Our son's working memory is so impaired that one of the first recommendations we were given is year round schooling. PLUS, he is behind enough that a break would set him back significantly.

Just curious who else is going year round because of S/N.

We are!

Not a full load, but enough that it feels like we never get a break! :tongue_smilie:

Hugs! :grouphug:

This is how I am feeling right now. We don't do a full load in the summer but it's feeling like we are never getting a break - not true though - we have SUCH a busy July - my dd1 (eldest) is gone 3 of the weeks due to serving in church and musical theater camp.

Just feeling alone and wanted some company because most people I know are winding down or done for the year!

:grouphug:

My ds who is the one w/ learning difficulties also had off school from mid oct to mid january because of a severe concussion (severe enough the concussion doc had us stop doing school). So this summer he isn't changing his schedule at all. He'll have some additional time off but needs to keep moving on the same schedule through the summer.

Typing that I think that may be what has made this summer different than other summers. It hasn't bothered me in the past ;)

The only time we haven't schooled through the summer was last summer when we were doing VT. Our evaluator this past week said we should cut back on math, because dd was doing well. I had to kind of cock my head funny and wonder what planet she was on, lol. Yeah, stop doing what is working... :)

But like the others said, there's a season to everything. You don't go equally hard all the time. I use summer as a dry-run for fall. There might be some materials I want to try, to see if I can get the methodology to work for me, so we'll fiddle with them during the summer. Or there's something I want to knock out to free up time during the school year. Or I'll get something really out of the box and different to do for a while. This summer I'm rattling her mind with the Fast Finisher and Dazzling Math ebooks from Scholastic. They were only $1 to download last month, and they're definitely stretching her noodle, lol. And we're trying some new techniques with how we read our textbook for science. I'm trying a drawing book on her to see how that will go. So you see the variety. We'll still do math (never stop), but the LA is getting a fresh face. The rest is sort of fun and different.

My dd this year is noticing other kids have off. I've just told her to deal with it. I can't help what they do. We're doing what we need to do in our house.

I cannot imagine how frustrating it would be for me (his teacher) to start every year repeating all the stuff he managed to forget over a summer. I think I'd lose my mind! He needs LOTS of review and doesn't seem able to memorize and recall info.

This was our first year homeschooling (k/1st) and I think we're lucky b/c he won't know any different. I also don't think he needs a full 2-3 mos of down-time. We've taken up to 2wk breaks (vacations/illness,etc) and even that has been hard to jump back in.

We always do some degree of schooling in the summer. For my 9 year old (dyslexic) son, he will be doing Daily Math Practice and Daily Language Practice workbooks, along with FLL & grammar worksheets, math word problems, and challenge math worksheets. We'll keep working on history and reading, try to get some typing and Latin practice, and work on bike riding and swimming skills!

My 15 yr old typical daughter will review Spanish 1, review Algebra, and study for her driver's permit.

We are breaking from regular school routine during the busiest weeks of the summer (the ones with vacation or half-day camp) but the other weeks will include 3Rs each morning. He has made so much progress and I know he will forget and have to backtrack if we stop for too long.

We do mornings only year round for the three R's. If it's a really nice day, we soak it up as it's rare here. We start out content subjects as soon as summer swimming lessons end.

You just inspired me on how to update my signature to more accurately reflect our summer homeschooling plans. :)

At a minimum, we keep doing our reading program. We do other things, but how much we do depends on a variety of factors, including the weather. Summer is a good chance try new approaches or to work on some of the thing that I somehow never get to during the regular school year.

I just recently ordered a "Brain-Gym" styled music and movement program to do this summer. It seemed fun, and it's might be educational.

As I was looking at that program, I remembered that we had "Speechercise". I started it with my children yesterday. It's mostly for my 5 and 7 yo. Their speech isn't problematic enough to qualify as special needs, but my "mommy radar" has gone off. My 5 yo's speech sounds eerily similar to what my 9 yo with dyslexia sounded like at that age. He did Speechercise at home at that age, at the recommendations of the school district's speech therapist when he didn't qualify for help from them. My 7 yo (who has no academic struggles) still talks with a lisp. I've taken her to a speech therapist who would work with her if we paid for it, (which we can't really afford) but it's not covered by either the school district or our insurance. She resists working with me on her speech, plus she's lost several teeth, so tongue strengthening disguised as fun with the others may be all that I can reasonably expect right now on that.

I want to address grammar and writing, but I'm dragging my feet. One reason is that I want--make that NEED--a break. We recently finished a lot of our workbooks and some of the regular school year programs, so it's a good time for a little breather. When I'm feeling more rested will be a good time to start working on writing. I've found it's better to start some activities when I'm not trying to do twenty other things. Yet I feel like if I push this new approach to writing and grammar before I've had enough time to rest, I'd just be setting myself up for future burn-out.

I want to address grammar and writing, but I'm dragging my feet. One reason is that I want--make that NEED--a break.

:iagree: We schooled continuously the last 2 summers. Other than a week here and there I have schooled continuously since the summer of 2008. (well the fall of 2007). And I am exhausted. I was going to push thru with math, reading, and grammar with my son but just a couple of days ago decided to just stop where we were and take a long break. I might start back in July with a review, or I might just wait until August when it is too hot for anything else. I don't want to plan lessons. I don't want to grade work. I want to just have fun.

I realize my son is behind peers, that he needs lots of review, that he needs to keep going on. But he also needs time off. He needs to just relax and be a kid all day with nothing planned academically. He has been hard to motivate lately, doing lackluster work, and difficult to keep on track. I think he is burned out and exhausted form school work as well.

We'll be schooling through for the same reasons. I really only care about the 3 R's, but dd likes the content areas much better, so we won't put them entirely on hold. We might try evenings, or outdoor work, or something, but we can't quit. I'm thinking about even spreading it out, so that we just do maybe two subjects a day, like math and spelling, reading and science, social studies and math, spelling and reading, etc....but the thought of having an entire day off in math or spelling gives me the shivers...

Edited by Love_to_Read

We are schooling too! only in the 3 r's...we'll pick up the rest in the fall when homeschool co-op starts back up. We can't afford the set back either...you're not alone! Just want to add that I frequent breaks throughout the year though as needed :)...that has worked out good for us.

Edited by Mission-Driven-Mom

One more vote for continuing - we lighten up a bit to enjoy sunshine, but in general, for ALL my kids, not just the one with LDs, I hate all the forgetting that happened even when we took one month off.....dd almost 9 is complaining for the first time this year, however, as all her gym friends are finishing up on school....oh well, I can't imagine letting her spend 18 hours a week at the gym if we didn't homeschool and go year round - and I told her that...tough love, I guess, but there has to be balance.

For ds with LDs, he just needs more time with everything - so it takes more time...not much we can do about that other than do it, or change our expectations, which even he sees isn't what he wants....wish it were different, but its not!

Erin