Menu

Would you be interested in this type of blog?

Or at least a weekly post that would detail out how to do batch cooking? For instance, a post/blog that would show how to plan, shop and prep for a week or two weeks worth of meals and how to do the prepping/cooking in one day? DH and I were tossing the idea around because people often ask me how I manage to make 21 homemade meals and snacks per week, even during the school year when I tutor at night. Would something like this interest you? I don't want to put time and effort (and probably money) into something that would not interest people.

Just curious......

Okay so next questions:

1) I am a vegetarian - would you appreciate meat suggestions. For example, I am making pasta sauce in the crockpot (tomatoes, squashes, spinach, onions, garlic, etc) would you want me to include a note about adding a browned pork butt or sausage, etc. Or even suggesting something like, "this meal would go very well with a roasted chicken and here is how you do it", or when making broth, inserting a comment like "and here is where you would add your leftover chicken bones from the roast chicken".

2) pics/video?

3) would the cost of the items be interesting to you? So, I spent $20 at the farmer's market for XYZ, $100 at Costco and $40 at the grocery store for a total of $160 for two weeks? Or would it be irrelevant because of the differing places we live?

This could be fun. DS7 suggested calling it "Sundays with Jennifer"

3) would the cost of the items be interesting to you? So, I spent $20 at the farmer's market for XYZ, $100 at Costco and $40 at the grocery store for a total of $160 for two weeks? Or would it be irrelevant because of the differing places we live?

I think this would be interesting, especially if you showed some of the thought process behind your spending choices ("These are in season and locally grown, so really cheap at the FM right now! I'd choose X as a replacement or not do this meal at all if they were more expensive").

I think 1 would definitely be helpful for a beginner. I can generally figure out how to modify veg recipes on my own, but I know a lot of people really need step by step directions!

I rarely rarely watch videos (and I *hate* video instructions that don't provide a recipe or transcript), and only find pics useful for particularly complicated things, but I know they help some people as well as adding more visual interest.

Edited by ocelotmom

Or at least a weekly post that would detail out how to do batch cooking? For instance, a post/blog that would show how to plan, shop and prep for a week or two weeks worth of meals and how to do the prepping/cooking in one day? DH and I were tossing the idea around because people often ask me how I manage to make 21 homemade meals and snacks per week, even during the school year when I tutor at night. Would something like this interest you? I don't want to put time and effort (and probably money) into something that would not interest people.

Just curious......

Yes! My caveat is that I would want them to be (mostly) healthful meals, meaning low fat, low sodium, mostly whole grains with no boxed or canned ingredients (esp. cream of anything soups ;)). If most of the recipes could fit this criterion I would be a devoted follower! :D

Okay so next questions:

1) I am a vegetarian - would you appreciate meat suggestions. For example, I am making pasta sauce in the crockpot (tomatoes, squashes, spinach, onions, garlic, etc) would you want me to include a note about adding a browned pork butt or sausage, etc. Or even suggesting something like, "this meal would go very well with a roasted chicken and here is how you do it", or when making broth, inserting a comment like "and here is where you would add your leftover chicken bones from the roast chicken".

2) pics/video?

1) YES! And I love the idea of knowing how to make it both vegetarian and non (we have fast days, but also eat meat).

2) Pictures, definitely! Videos, optional.

3) It may or may not be relevant. It would still give an idea ;)

4) We would need to know how many people you are feeding (and age range...because certain ages eat more and some of us have LARGE families).

I love the title Sundays with Jennifer.

Okay so next questions:

2) pics/video?

1. Yes, this would be helpful. We eat meat and are trying to incorporate more vegetarian meals, but I would be more inclined to use the blog if there were meat suggestions.

2. Pics for sure. Video-eh, I almost never watch video blogs. If the recipe were particularly complicated I guess a video would be helpful, but if it were that complicated I would be unlikely to make it.

3. Even with differing areas and places to shop, I would find this interesting. I like to know the rough cost because I can compare to my local prices and see if the menus provided fit with my food budget.

I'm going to group some answers:

1) this would be a weekly thing on my blog, so totally free.

2) I am vegetarian and gluten-free. DH and kiddos eat fish twice per week, and I will occasionally make DH some chicken or something. I am just a horrible meat cook.

3) There are 6 of us: two adults and two boys (almost 8 and 6) and two girls (4 and 2 - but she eats more than the boys). I make enough so that DH has a large portion left over for his lunch and the kids and I have small portions for lunch or snack.

4) we mostly eat whole foods - raw milk, pastured eggs, few grains because of the GF (quinoa, rice, and GF oatmeal). I do use alot of nuts, avocados, and coconut oil.

For instance, tonight's dinner was Rice pasta with homemade sauce. The sauce was slow cooked with summer squash, 1/2 lb spinach, onions, garlic and tomato sauce, seasoned with Italian herbs. Served with a sprinkle of grated asiago cheese and a salad.

2) I am vegetarian and gluten-free. DH and kiddos eat fish twice per week, and I will occasionally make DH some chicken or something. I am just a horrible meat cook.

3) There are 6 of us: two adults and two boys (almost 8 and 6) and two girls (4 and 2 - but she eats more than the boys). I make enough so that DH has a large portion left over for his lunch and the kids and I have small portions for lunch or snack.

4) we mostly eat whole foods - raw milk, pastured eggs, few grains because of the GF (quinoa, rice, and GF oatmeal). I do use alot of nuts, avocados, and coconut oil.

For instance, tonight's dinner was Rice pasta with homemade sauce. The sauce was slow cooked with summer squash, 1/2 lb spinach, onions, garlic and tomato sauce, seasoned with Italian herbs. Served with a sprinkle of grated asiago cheese and a salad.

I am in! :) I am trying to incorporate more and more vegetarian meals into our diets as well as more make ahead meals. I am trying very diligently to simplify life as much as possible so this seems like it could really be a step in the right direction. Please let us know when we can expect your first post! :D

This would be awesome!

• 1 month later...

I'd be there!!

GF cooking with specialty grains is interesting to me because I haven't generally dabbled with them.

Love the name!

Go for it :thumbup: And be sure to let us know when you've got it going!