Menu

How much would you pay for private swim lessons for your child?

I'm cheap compared to other WSI's. For both my town and my pool. I charge $25/half hour. Other people I work with charge at least $30. At my facilities, instructors are paid directly by the patron for private lessons (and should report these cash transaction on their taxes themselves). At another local facility patrons must buy the private lessons through the facility at $40 a piece (then the teacher gets paid by the facility less than that). I have several years of experience. I've been trained in both Red Cross and YMCA methods and I am good with a range of people (adults, children with disabilities). Before you hire someone you want to know they will mesh well with the person who needs to learn. Ask about their experiences. If it's a young person consider experiences beyond the pool (a teen who also regularly babysits a sibling with autism may have behavior management skills and patience that would not be clear on any resume).

I make a lot less per hour for group lessons. However, my facility and other try to limit private lessons by having rules like "the instructor can teach no more private lessons a week than the number of group lessons he/she teachers a week." Public and private facilities also limit the times private lessons can be taught.

ETA: I usually recommend group lessons first. If you have a decent instructor, most students benefit from group instruction. Look for an instructor who manages behaviors and keeps all the students in the water most of the time (even beginners). Sometimes a combination of group and private instruction is good to help a student get over a plateau. With parents who don't actually swim with their children regularly, even a so so group instructor twice a week is a good compliment to a good private instructor once a week. The child needs to get in the water a lot to make progress.

Edited by betty

We do ISR lessons as well. It is $55 per week. The lessons last for about 10 minutes, 5 days per week. And the kids usually go for 6 weeks. Then the next year they go for a one week refresher course. Also $55. It's survival swim lessons. My kids walked out knowing how to save themselves....even my then 20 month old.

A friend dose lessons at her home. 30 minutes a day for a week, $60 for the first child, $30 for subsequent children.

Wow! That's a good price!

We found that spending a week on lessons done daily is much better than spreading them out one a week. The kids make quicker progress as they don't forget what they learned the day before and feel much more confident.

Locally for us it would be $15-20 for a PRIVATE lesson at a University pool (taught by students) that offers community outreach swimming for reasonable prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see it higher in some locations locally (up to 30+ perhaps), and I'd be shocked to find it cheaper.

We pay $25 for a half-hour private lesson with a very skilled and experienced teacher at a neighborhood swim club. It's $30 if my child is sharing the lesson with another child. This swim teacher is outstanding and the lessons are worth every penny. It would be cheaper for group lessons, but the individual lessons gives us a lot of flexibility on schedules.

We paid $30 for 25min private lessons (per lesson) last year. It was at a special school that has a reputation for working well with special needs or problem students. My girls had been in group lessons before and didn't do much except run away screaming, so we knew private lessons were our only option and honestly, I thought most of the other schools who did private lessons would have kicked the girls out for the screaming and thrashing. At this school, they promised that nobody would be kicked out or turned away. It was worth it, but everyone else was cheaper. I think the other pools in our area were about $15-20 per person per half hour.

I have paid as much as $70 a week for 15 min/day infant swim. It's a very specialized program, so it was well worth it. For an older child, with weekly lessons? Idk, $20-40 a week, maybe more. Almost no price is too much when it comes to getting a child swimming, IMO. If I had a fearful/struggling child and a very experienced instructor, I could see myself paying a great deal. If I had your average 4yo just learning to swim and a teenage instructor, I would expect to pay much less. My 2 youngest kids went through infant swim and were both proficiently swimming before they were 2yo, so it's been a long time since I've been in the market for swim instruction.