Menu

S/O Health care now a human right in Vermont

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, I was waiting for you to post this! Can always count on you to show people how to immigrate here. :D

I, too, got in by marrying a Canuck.

(it seems we each tell the same stories and information here each time it comes up, eh?)

Yes, it does! I have that link in my bookmarks since I seem to need to post it so frequently (here and other places). Sometimes I feel like a recruiter for Canada.

Google Bountiful, British Columbia :lol:

:iagree:

:lol::lol: Oh, you beat me to it!

But seriously, though.... Bountiful only "approves" of the one man, many women type of arrangement. I got the feeling floridamom was thinking of starting her own he-man harem. ;)

Edited by Audrey

Don't know... but that "pay taxes at the point of a gun" bait line sounds just a tad too familiar. :glare:

Oh. That was supposed to be bait? I thought it was just a...unique perspective on reality moment.

:lol::lol: Oh, you beat me to it!

But seriously, though.... Bountiful only "approves" of the one man, many women type of arrangement. I got the feeling floridamom was thinking of starting her own he-man harem. ;)

Hey, I've thought of that...

Oh. That was supposed to be bait? I thought it was just a...unique perspective on reality moment.

It certainly is a provocative statement, and one that was a pet topic of a former poster. If that was, indeed, a statement of some kind of "fact" then we'll have to redefine "fact" ... and "reality" for that matter. ;)

Is it a bad thing when you find yourself mumbling to your spouse, "You know, my *other* husband would understand me..." :confused:

:lol:

No, that's perfectly normal. It only gets bad when you find yourself mumbling to your spouse, "You know, my *next* husband will understand me..."

Don't know... but that "pay taxes at the point of a gun" bait line sounds just a tad too familiar. :glare:

Indeed.

Unique? Not so much. Sounds like the male half of someone we know well. I am guessing he ran for office. There are videos.

You repeating the pejorative does not make it any less so. And politicians are not a monolith, cdrumm. They come from many different backgrounds, and have been shaped by different experiences. Using the crass words of a few to sum up the whole is neither logical, nor is it particularly fair.

Then you will need to produce evidence that unions, corporations, and other political groups have physically gone into polls, and forced the hands of citizens to vote their politicians into office. Do you? Have that proof? Because I'm pretty sure it that kind of circumvention would quickly reported and decried by the masses. I'd love to see the picture of a union leader forcing, say, an old lady to hit the button for "Democrat," for example.

Now, influence? Yes. These groups can and do INFLUENCE voters, to vote one way or the other. But they still do not CAST EACH VOTE for the voter. They cannot control or order or otherwise remove your or my right to vote for whoever we choose.

I'll tell you a little secret: I'm getting ready to work for a grass-roots environmental group. Here. In Texas. A state known for its political, um, disdain for such niceties as clean air and potable water. All the money and power are on the side of those opposed; yet this environmental group has a number of pivotal successes in getting laws passed to protect Texans from pollution and dumping.

In giving people information about an issue and telling them who their representative is, they can write about it, resulting in huge numbers of letters and phone calls coming in to the state capitol and to legislators' offices. And all that money and power on part of those super influential groups is not enough to silence the will power of concerned citizens, no matter WHAT their political affiliation is.

Conclusion: our government is still (at the moment) comprised of legally elected members of the populace. And because of the power to vote, citizens still can remove or put into office who they will.

How pleasant. I never said unions went into polls and forced people to choose (although the Black Panther case was right on the edge of that, no?) Anyway, you know exactly what my point is and I feel you are being purposefully obtuse and argumentative. I have no problem with opposing points of view, but attacks aren't my style.

No, that's perfectly normal. It only gets bad when you find yourself mumbling to your spouse, "You know, my *next* husband will understand me..."

:lol:

Indeed.

Unique? Not so much. Sounds like the male half of someone we know well. I am guessing he ran for office. There are videos.

Videos? Someone actually said this in public, where they can be identified? :001_huh:

How pleasant. I never said unions went into polls and forced people to choose (although the Black Panther case was right on the edge of that, no?) Anyway, you know exactly what my point is and I feel you are being purposefully obtuse and argumentative. I have no problem with opposing points of view, but attacks aren't my style.

An attack is me saying something personally about you, which I have NOT done. I am purposely demanding proof of your statement that the government isn't, in fact, elected into office by citizens. You have not produced any proof. You have merely sought to deflect by accusing me of attacks, and using rhetoric to ignore the legal, constitutional truth of what I said.

That is: the United States government is for the People, and by the People.

Again, if you wish to dispute it, show me some proof. You are the one who made the assertion that unions, and corporations and other groups are actually putting people into office. The burden is on you to prove that assertion. I already told you I agree that they can influence voters, but influence does not equal taking the choice away from voters.

What irritates the pi$$ out of me more than anything in these debates is the idea amongst those who oppose guaranteed healthcare (as opposed to pay-to-play) that those who have healthcare troubles are those who are poor, lazy, don't want to work, etc.

My husband has a college degree. He has a white-collar job (in fact, he works for an ad agency ... his job is to help all these capitalist companies make money). He works for a small business, which is supposed to be some holy grail in American society.

Our insurance costs $1800 a month.

Who can reasonably afford that? Seriously. That's just the premiums. The co-pays and deductibles raise the price quite a bit higher. Why is it like this? Because insurance companies are free to price gouge. Because my husband works for a small company and not a large one, we pays several hundred percent more for our healthcare than people we know who have the same policy through the same insurance company but work for large companies.

We also have children with chronic illnesses and I spend hours and hours and hours and hours of my life on the phone with the insurance company, trying to force them to live up to the agreement they made with us, because they will look for every opportunity to bail.

We are not free to go elsewhere for health insurance because individual policies don't have to cover people with health issues (yet ... thank the stars for Obamacare's requirement that everyone even be able to get insurance).

There are myriad families in our situation: working, middle-class families who are perfectly willing to pay for healthcare/insurance but are basically being screwed by capitalist companies who are in business to make money, not make people healthy.

I have no desire to be dependent on the government, and I don't want free healthcare. I want affordable, guaranteed healthcare. I think healthcare is a human right.

Tara

Again, if you wish to dispute it, show me some proof. You are the one who made the assertion that unions, and corporations and other groups are actually putting people into office. The burden is on you to prove that assertion. I already told you I agree that they can influence voters, but influence does not equal taking the choice away from voters.

Read the book "Too **** Much Money."

I have no desire to be dependent on the government, and I don't want free healthcare. I want affordable, guaranteed healthcare. I think healthcare is a human right.

Tara

:iagree:I agree with all of what you said... but your last paragraph stands out. What shocks me (not you!) is that people think the Health Care Act is about free healthcare... it's not, it is about affordable, guaranteed healthcare. It's not a single payer, govt system (despite the lies people tell to make others think it is) but about everyone being able to get health insurance, which in the long run, will SAVE money.

Tara

:iagree: ITA with your whole post. My dh works for a small company and for whatever reason, (thanking my lucky stars!!!!!) the company pays our premiums every month so we are only on the hook for co - pays and deductibles. Our deductibles are HIGH (given we are a small company with a small pool :glare: ) so the owner also pays the 2nd half of the deductible (if we get that far) each year. If the owner weren't so sincerely generous, I have NO idea HOW we could afford healthcare. And too many people are in our situation withOUT their company either being willing to help or being ABLE to help. Some small companies are barely able to keep their employees paid, much less help with healthcare costs. Thank God dh's company is doing well and has an owner who genuinely cares about his employees and their families.

From the New York Times this morning:

For the first time in its history, Medicare will soon track spending on millions of individual beneficiaries, reward hospitals that hold down costs and penalize those whose patients prove most expensive.

So much for "reform" being about "people".

asta