Menu

Great places to eat in St Louis?

Going there on a trip--any recommendations? We will have the kids (ages 6 and under, so it has to be family friendly!)

Crown Candy Kitchen is really good diner food and ice cream. Ted Drewes is just the ice cream (well, frozen custard) part. The Hill has really, really good Italian places that I miss terribly. I think my favorite is Zia's. Amighetti's is a really good sandwich place with an Italian twist.

We used to live an hour from STL and would usually eat at the Whole Foods on Brentwood Blvd. It is just off of 64W. Not really cheap, but they have a hot bar, salad bar, pizza, sushi and gelato, and tables up front near the checkout. Nice and busy, so no one notices if your kids are wiggley or loud. :001_smile: They have bathrooms right there and high chairs. We would bring some parts of lunch along, so it was cheaper. Or buy a loaf of bread and some cheese or pb and jelly.

There is a mall on Brentwood, too, with a food court. Other places along Brentwood (near WF), too, like the St. Louis Bread Co. (aka Panera).

The Magic House (children's museum) and Zoo both have food available as well.

DH and I had a fabulous meal at the Shaved Duck (south of downtown). Small and less family-oriented, though.

HTH! Have a great trip!

If you'll be south, Fortel's Pizza Den in Affton is wonderful. Old Spaghetti factory near the Arch is a good choice too. Most of the places I think of as particularly great in St. Louis are less kid friendly--Pho Grand on Grand for Vietnamese, King and I for Thai (also on S. Grand), Blueberry Hill on the Delmar Loop in University City. If you're in Old St. Charles there are some neat restaurants, but again, not really *kid* places.

Edited by Jami

eh, Cici's is everywhere.

Check out Michael's Bar & Grill in Maplewood (Greek). I don't know if The King & I still exists (Thai) as I hear South Grand has changed a lot. K.C. Masterpiece on North Lindburgh (steakhouse). The Fin Inn in Grafton, IL (you can even get fried turtle there). The Old Spaghetti Factory on The Landing (riverfront) is a must! Ted Drews for frozen custard. Lambert's Home of the Thrown Rolls in Sikeston, MO (on I-55, 2-3hrs south of St Louis). Big Mama's in Belleville, IL (soul food ;) ). Hunan's Chinese on Dorset Rd in Maryland Heights off of I-270.

Not to hijack a thread totally, but since we'll be there for one night in 2 1/2 weeks looking at Wash U, can someone name a good BBQ place? We're BBQ lovers and love to try local BBQ whenever we can. It can be more diner"ish" as some of those have the best BBQ.

Not to hijack a thread totally, but since we'll be there for one night in 2 1/2 weeks looking at Wash U, can someone name a good BBQ place? We're BBQ lovers and love to try local BBQ whenever we can. It can be more diner"ish" as some of those have the best BBQ.

Pappy's Smokehouse is supposed to be good. We like Hodak's, which is technically a chicken place but they have good burgers and ribs. Last time we were at Hodak's for lunch on a Saturday it was packed with families with kids.

Imo's is by far the best St. Louis style pizza place...there are lots all over. And for Italian...our fav is Rich and Charlies in South County or Crestwood. Where are you going exactly? South or maybe in the city?

I completely agree! Imo's is the best pizza south of Chicago!

Imo's is an area favorite, but doesn't stack up if you have certain standards for your pizza. (grease on a thin slab) You want good pizza...try Pizza World or go out to O'Fallon or Lebanon, IL and eat at Schiappa's! (and the owner is a wonderful man...had him for a teacher) The only way I can keep my husband away from Imo's when we visit next year will be to suggest we go to Schiappa's instead ;)

Pappy's Smokehouse is supposed to be good. We like Hodak's, which is technically a chicken place but they have good burgers and ribs. Last time we were at Hodak's for lunch on a Saturday it was packed with families with kids.

Smoking Al's is the BEST BBQ in STL. It is on Hampton right by Forest Park.

Thanks for these! They're on our list. Smoking Al's seems like it will be very close to where we are. We'll look up Hodak's and Pappy's Smokehouse when we're there. We can possibly pick two of the three - one for supper and one for lunch.