Menu

More Storms

My brother just posted on FB that an EF4 tornado was on the ground 90 miles from their home in Tulsa, and more are coming closer and expected through the night. My sister in Fayetteville, AR, called to say they were expecting the same tornado threat all night, so much so that they have packed and are moving to the big hotel to wait it out. So scary. Be safe, everyone! Praying.

ETA: We're expecting stormy weather here this evening in SW VA, too...

Our second big cell of the day just passed over. A friend posted on FB that she'd just lost power, and the house was absolutely shaking, so they were headed to the basement. She lives about an hour and a half south of us, in the direction this cell came from, so I'm hoping we're not in for another tonight. I've a feeling it's going to be a long night. :(

praying--saw pics on tv of that tornado on the ground right now :(

We are actually putting the kids to bed in the basement tonight in sleeping bags.

My kids are downstairs now getting their sleeping spots all ready. We've also been watching that EF4 on the ground. That storm system is heading our way overnight. It will probably decrease in intensity before it gets here, but dh is out of town and I'm not taking any chances.

2 confirmed dead in the tornado outside of OKC. We're just NE of Tulsa. I have the car loaded to go next door to my parents old storm cellar. The boys have loaded up their machetes to combat any snakes that decide to take cover there as well :-) We've got bottled water and lots of snacks, bedding, chairs, flashlights, etc. Boy Scouts are always prepared :-)

Glad 2 of the boys are in other parts of the world right now - easier to deal with a smaller crew.

ETA: 4 confirmed dead - 8 suspected dead in OKC area. I heard that 1500 are still missing in Joplin. Hopefully this storm will dissipate before it gets to Joplin.

Edited by CynthiaOK

There was a tornado that touched down about 30 miles from here a few minutes ago. We're scared, too. We don't have basements here. :glare: People are going outside to look at the sky. Sheesh. Have a good night, Everybody. I hope everyone stays safe. I don't know where we would go if there was a tornado here.

I am praying for each and every one of you that are in the path of these storms. I found out all too well what a tornado can do when one hit our tiny town in the mtns of East TN last month. It is all but unheard-of to have a tornado in the mountains. Not only did we have one, but it hit literally across the street from my house and it took out the homes and properties of several of my friends and church family. Our false sense of protection from the mountains has been shattered and in comparison...ours was only an EF-2 with 138 mph winds....nothing compared to the EF-4 that hit Joplin and literally leveled it in a matter of seconds. It breaks my heart!

We live a little southwest of Tulsa, and the storm has passed us. Lots of rain, wind and it blew our plastic chairs around the yard. That's about all...

Channel 6 is saying that there's a tornado southwest of Haskell, OK, and there has been damage and some fatalities in other towns. (last report was 3-5 deaths)

This is my dd13, prepared for "softball sized hail": (We didn't actually get any hail.)

post-19860-13535084900107_thumb.jpg

post-19860-13535084900107_thumb.jpg

Keller, Colleyville, Euless area in TX are in the path, according to the weather channel.

In NW MO we're in a tornado watch.

Yeah, we live right next to Keller. This has been really scary. The storm is heading into the Dallas area now. We had the news on and there were tons of funnel clouds spotted and a wall of clouds near Hulen St. Be careful, everybody. We don't feel comfortable going to bed for the night. :glare: Turn on the news if you don't already have it on.

We were directly in the storm's path. We had warnings, the sirens went off, but it was just a bad storm, thankfully. We don't have a basement, but our entire first floor is made of cinderblock, even the interior walls, so we let the kids just stay up late and watch Hardy Boys. Luckily, nothing ever developed.

The tornado in Stafford, KS, though, touched down JUST as it passed over a friend's house. She was in the basement, but she said the house was shaking badly. That one killed 2 that I know of.

I'm about over these tornadoes. :glare:

Yeah, we live right next to Keller. This has been really scary. The storm is heading into the Dallas area now. We had the news on and there were tons of funnel clouds spotted and a wall of clouds near Hulen St. Be careful, everybody. We don't feel comfortable going to bed for the night. :glare: Turn on the news if you don't already have it on.

I'm worried about my SIL in Keller. She just posted on Facebook that she and my niece stopped to take cover under a church entryway, or something. They were driving through hail.

Ugh, there went our electricity, hopefully just a blip...:glare:

I'm worried about my SIL in Keller. She just posted on Facebook that she and my niece stopped to take cover under a church entryway, or something. They were driving through hail.

I'm sorry. There's nowhere safe to go here (for us). Like I said, we don't have basements. I don't understand why our tornado sirens keep going off. On the Doppler radar, it looked like the storm was blowing east into Dallas. Is there more on the way? Sheesh. This is going to be a long night (of internet surfing, watching the news and anxiety).

There was a tornado that touched down about 30 miles from here a few minutes ago. We're scared, too. We don't have basements here. :glare: People are going outside to look at the sky. Sheesh. Have a good night, Everybody. I hope everyone stays safe. I don't know where we would go if there was a tornado here.

I'm on the phone with my parents while they are sheltering in their safe area. It has a metal roof and I can really hear the hail pounding on it.

I'm sorry. There's nowhere safe to go here (for us). Like I said, we don't have basements. I don't understand why our tornado sirens keep going off. On the Doppler radar, it looked like the storm was blowing east into Dallas. Is there more on the way? Sheesh. This is going to be a long night (of internet surfing, watching the news and anxiety).

Thanks, they made it home. Someone else on her Facebook posted that they were at the Ritz-Carlton downtown and the storm looked like it was right over them.

We're in SW Tulsa and are VERY grateful that it wasn't worse than it was. We didn't even get hail or some of the nasty high winds that some areas got. I'm so glad. Now I'm watching and hoping that nobody else gets it any worse than we did. I have seen the damage down near El Reno and Piedmont and am praying there aren't more bodies or injuries found. What a night. To those of you still in the line of the storm, hang in there and stay safe!

Ours too (South Arlington). Reeeeaaallly windy, but no rain. The pressure is crazy, my ears feel like they need to pop. The kids are all hopped up and excited about the trips to the under-the-stairs closet.

My brother just posted on FB that an EF4 tornado was on the ground 90 miles from their home in Tulsa, and more are coming closer and expected through the night. My sister in Fayetteville, AR, called to say they were expecting the same tornado threat all night, so much so that they have packed and are moving to the big hotel to wait it out. So scary. Be safe, everyone! Praying.

ETA: We're expecting stormy weather here this evening in SW VA, too...

We were supposed to get these nasty storms in northern Oklahoma, but at the last minute they split, fell apart and went around us. I think we were watching that same tornado on TV! There is a 3yo little boy missing from Piedmont (northwest Oklahoma City). The mother and sibblings were taken to the hospital, but the 3yo is still missing. Just terrible! Praying for all those that were/are in the path of these storms.

Yes, the dry line is west of Fort Worth and more cells are developing. Another nasty line is headed for the metroplex, still west of Fort Worth right now.

We had about golf ball size hail, but the kids and I were home and DH was at the Rangers game. They announced that a possible tornado activity ("echo hook" on the radar) was headed directly for the Ballpark and I couldn't get DH on the phone. He had already left and drove through it back to his work in Irving before he called to let me know he was okay.:angry: His phone battery was dead but he didn't think to borrow his buddy's phone to call.