Menu

Oh Shari, you're kidding no one. It's just a reality jolt. Things being bad do not mean it's going to stay that way. You'll do what you always do and get back up and start looking for things to DO about it. Don't eat a full pan of brownies like I do; that will just make you fat. Go work in your yard for a while, let it sink in, let the sunshine heal you a bit, then start thinking about the next step.

What have you done with him so far? I'm going to go read your SN board posts. This is the 5th grader or both? And has he been formally evaluated? And has he had OT, VT, or any other forms of evaluation? And is he on any meds or supplements? Not that they're a cure-all, but there are some that can help slightly (omega 3, that type thing). And have you done anything with him to work on bilaterality issues (Brain Gym, crawling/creeping, etc.)?

You don't know anyone who has held a child back? Well mercy, I worked for a teacher who tried to hold a kid back in *K5*!!! Who flunks K5??? And the father was a calculus prof, all indignant, wouldn't let him be held back. Happens all the time, every day of the week. There are lots of kids who are so far behind they *ought* to be held back or *could* be held back, but the parents don't. They're just taking advantage of the ease in labeling. In your ds's case, it might be that those test scores are actually pretty typical for the problems he has. I mean not every dyslexic dysgraphic does well academically. Mine is 2E, so she does well in spite of herself. You get that in another kid, and it's just DEBILITATING.

So be kind to yourself for a while and let it sink in. Go shop. There's nothing like retail therapy. Then come back to it fresh and make a game plan. Nothing radical. It's not a TEACHING problem, because you're a GOOD TEACHER. It's a functional issue and needs a functional answer. You'll find one. Btw, that was that age my dd really fell apart too, 5th grade. It was where she couldn't hide the problems anymore. Our VT place said that is *very* common. Things get hard and pile up on them, and they just can't hide their weaknesses anymore. It's not your fault, and it's good that you did the testing. Now you have that knowledge and can look for answers.

I think those tests only reflect the accuracy of those particular questions on that particular day. You child might score very differently with different questions on a different day.

Tests have ALWAYS told me what I already knew..... strong and advanced in one area, on level in another area, and behind and weak in another area.

I have held a homeschool student back. Not because of test scores. One of my children could not read at age 9. We discovered an eye sight problem. He repeated 3rd grade with different books and materials and we concentrated on reading. That child now reads ABOVE grade level.

I have thought about holding him back again this year because of math. But, no, he'll do math one year below his grade level and other subjects either at or above grade level.

My kids ALWAYS score very LOW on standardized tests, but that just proves they test poorly. And, I'll proabably be posting with a frown when our scores come in this June. LOL

Ok, I'm reading your post from several months ago where you were struggling with whether you should hold him back. I think that one is already settled for you. With his fall birthday, he just needs to repeat that grade and adjust. You're not holding him back. You're allowing him to repeat so he can have a chance to catch up. He's not ready to be a grade advanced.

Now you said he had an ed psych eval and OT. I've heard of people who got OT evals in an hour. Ours was very long (3 sessions, many hours). I just say that to toss out that some are more thorough than others. I think sometimes evals are short so they can rope you into therapy and just keep examining and working. In any case, you might find it interesting to do some Brain Gym and work on bilaterality stuff. I just ordered Brain Gym myself, after all this time of saying I should. It's just silly not to. I KNOW she has the bilaterality issues. We've done some, but there's more we can do. The OT would take it to the next level, doing things like having her walk backwards on a treadmill and having her go through some kind of facts (skip counting, whatever) where she said them along with her left step, that sort of thing. So there are weird things an OT can do in that area. But Brain Gym would probably get you close enough. It's what our OT had recommended to us, and like I said I'm finally getting it.

Now I'll ask a question. You said he's clingy. I'm just being very literal here. Do you think there's MORE going on? Do you think he needs a neuropsych eval? Just asking. I'm just taking your comments very literally.

You mentioned that he needs to be with you when he works. Yes, my dd works better and stays on track better if I'm attending or pretty close. I think it's that ADD or working memory side of things. Or maybe it's just that it's hard and she needs the comfort nearby.

You said an optometrist checked your ds's eyes. Have you considered getting him checked by a developmental optometrist? I understand some people are not open to that for whatever reason. I'm just saying at this point, given the functional issues, that's a question I would be asking. For us, the VT (which was for VERY SPECIFIC PROBLEMS, not something vague) eliminated the road blocks that kept the academic stuff from processing. The things he's not doing well with (spelling, math computation) are visual. I'd at least consider it. http://www.covd.org

Some of those scores he had were quite good. I know they didn't feel that great to you, since the test was a year behind what you were trying to teach to. But if you exam them as scores compared to his PEERS, some of them are good. I would read the tea leaves there. Compared to his agemate peers (which the test you did would be), he's really strong on some things and has some holes on others. That's fabulous that his vocabulary is so high!! Do you think that's the TOG reading kicking in? That's terrific. So it's not like EVERYTHING is bad...

First of all, you need a big :grouphug: and to know you really are not the only mom struggling. I've been there -- it is the worst deep pit in your stomach kind of ache.

I also know that words of encouragement can seem like insults when you are facing, yet again, the reality that your child is struggling. Those numbers on the test results are so stark and cruel. So please know that I'm not glossing over the weaknesses and issues you are dealing with.

But, think about it. Those stupid, pesky standardized tests are for measuring standardized children, and your child is not standard issue! Of course he tests all over the map, but look at those high scores. Isn't that wonderful?! He isn't a hopeless case, at all. He is just unique, has some real weaknesses, but clearly has some terrific strengths.

From my own experiences with my ds, I can tell you that maturity helps, but it will never erase nor lessen those extremes in standardized test scores. My son is always at one extreme or another in life and on standardized tests. I opted to ignore those tests, to focus on the strengths, and to give him some tools for dealing with his weaknesses. He still is a horrible speller, still lousy at basic math computation. But in his real adult life, it doesn't matter. He knows to use spell check and have anything important proof read. He uses a calculator. And, most importantly, he is building a career he loves and he is trusted and respected in his field. He is not going to a typical 4 year university but is getting a BA through a professional school.

Your family will find a way to handle your challenges. It isn't easy for any of you. But put away that test report and focus instead on the child in front of you. I'm sure he is quite wonderful in so many ways. Help him find what is terrific about him, let him know that he isn't being punished or letting you and his dad down, but that you are giving him the gift of time to grow.

Maybe you should take the day off and do something fun together, enjoy being a family rather than worrying about school stuff. That alone will help you gain some perspective. :grouphug:

I'm going through a similar experience with my 15 yo. I told him we will repeat 9th grade this year...but since he is homeschooled...if he catches up and it clicks then we can move on faster. I know he needs more time.

The public school here will not hold back...they keep promoting and in 12th grade you stay till you have enough credits. My son's test scores are similar to what you are stating! Up and down and all over.

I still can't spell so I dont hold that against him. I know it took me till 22 for it all to click. I understand. I just had to take those remedial college courses then after I did that I graduated with cum lade! Honors! It all worked out in my case and I am hoping it will click as a pp stated!

We are taking the summer off completely!

Oh Shari, I've done that too many times. I think there's really no good way to steel yourself. What has helped me is to look for areas of progress. If the percentiles have at least stayed the same since last year, then he is moving forward at an acceptable pace. No, not quickly enough to "catch up" but progress is progress!

In Oregon, homeschooling parents have to have their kid tested a few times over the school years. If the composite score of LA and math is below the 15%, then the student can be asked to retest the next year. As long as the composite score has improved, then the kid is off the hook. If it has stayed the same or decreased, then they can ask the kid to test again the next year. If the kid has special needs, the testing can be done differently or substituted with educational goals.

I just say this to remind myself (and you) that a standardized test is just a measure .... of COURSE a child with dyslexia or dysgraphia is going to be at a disadvantage. The test will not pick up all that they know. It won't even discriminate between being half-right and totally wrong. Oregon does not get all fluffed up if a kid scores low in an area, even really low. They just want to know that the kid is receiving an education and is making progress.

I am giving my son the CAT this year as a baseline, because he will start yearly testing next year in our new state. I keep pep-talking myself to only look at the numbers as a NUMBER, and to only use them to compare where he is now to where he is next year. I know he will do really poorly in some areas, and I know he might score low in an area that I thought was his forte. I will probably not open the envelope until I have some time to myself and some chocolate in the house, though.

OhE, vision therapy is the one avenue we haven't explored. As much as I've put it off, I am beginning to think ds at least needs an eval, just to rule out problems if nothing else. Ds cannot sustain silent reading for more than 5-10 minutes without giving up. He says that the words move on the page :confused: but this never seems to be an issue when he is reading aloud and/or we are reading together.

I am hoping to go back into hibernation for the summer. :grouphug:

Shari--That alone is reason to go get his eyes checked. He's telling you the problem. I suggest you go now, get the developmental optometrist eval, and let them get started. By fall, you'll have a new child. We saw changes that affect school work in two months. One_l_michele here on the boards was even faster. I'm saying if you start now, you could be in a very different place by fall.

When the visual INPUT isn't working right, they can't PROCESS it and build on it.

Get him checked. You have the sign. http://www.covd.org :)

(enough of a nudge?)

:)

Please forgive the pity party, but I need to cry for a minute -- standardized tests scores arrived yesterday.

I thought I was prepared this time. Really, I did. I've already talked on this board about my decision to hold ds at grade level for a year to give him time to mature and solidify some basic skills. I even opted to give ds his IOWAs at a lower grade level this time around. Even with these accomodations in mind, I am really defeated and discouraged with what I saw on the reporting sheets.

Ds's scores were all over the map. From the 86th percentile in Vocabulary to the 10th percentile in Spelling; the 84th percentile in Science and the 19th percentile in Math Computation. And everything in between. Seriously, his grade equavelincies (sp?) ranged from an early third grader to an early ninth grader.

After looking over the scores yesterday afternoon, I went to bed and slept for two and a half hours. Last night, dh and I discussed how we are going to break the news that ds is staying at his grade level for another year. I have no idea how he'll take it.

None of the moms I know IRL are dealing with these issues. There are no SN support groups in my area. It's really hard to hear folks moaning about how few subjects can be taken early for high school credit when I've got one who is still struggling with chapter books. I don't know of anyone who has 'held back' a homeschooled child. Ever. I just want to scream and cry and throw things.

:willy_nilly::crying::rant:

:grouphug:

Remember that dyslexia programs teach in ways and in an order that's very different from standard teaching methods. We're not "teaching to the test". Compared to the standard child and the standard program, there's often this weird range of what our kids know and what they don't know.

My son's scores are all over the map too. I test him the grade level behind as if he'd been held back too. I don't worry about his grade level nearly as much as I worry about if he's making progress and learning. I know he's learning, but what he's learning doesn't always show up well on standardized tests. For instance, as he marked a wrong answer for spelling on the standardized test this year, he said he knew this because he was sure that ck comes after a short vowel. The word was "knock". :tongue_smilie:

I have mixed feelings. We held our son back this year and then got his neuropsych eval back. I regretted tremendously holding him back :(

First, since I am brand new, I should briefly tell you our journey and his issues.

My ds is 9.5 now. He is a cancer survivor and on chemo from 3.5 to 6. He either got nerve damage or had a neurological event while on chemo.

He has (learning issues, there are other things he has)

CAPD, Visual Motor Processing Disorder, Visual SPatial DIsorder, Visual Perception problems, dyslexia (SEVERE phonological issues), dysgraphia, dyspraxia, midline problems, and SEVERE impairment in his working memory.

The reason I regret holding him back is that even in the current grade he's in, he is WAY WAY WAY behind :(. The only place we "use" grade level is church and it's caused massive meltdowns. Even with those issues along with depressive and anxiety disorders, our son is VERY mature and sweet. SUnday school teachers saw an older child, mature and began calling on him to answer a lot of questions. If it was about something that just happened fine but anything with reading writing or requiring him to remember something from 5 minutes before. . . disaster.

We have worked it out by talking to his sunday school teachers and telling him we have no clue what grade he'll be in come fall. We switched to our saturday night service which is by age not grade ;) Thankfully, all his extra curricular activities are by age :)

My new theory will be that in our home a child progresses at their own rate through materials they need and we call them grade level according to birthday. We will discuss special needs with anyone in our lives (extra curricular teachers). HOWEVER, once they hit high school, they will be in high school until they are ready to be in college or move on to something else.

A disclaimer. . . I think it's okay for a child to be doing 3rd grade work and be called a 4th grader ;)

AFA the other things in your thread, Brain Gym caught my eye. We have been using a combination of brain gym and Dianne Craft's Brain Integration therapy (which have huge similarities). We have seen phenomenal improvement in all his issues. He can now skip and do jumping jacks as well :woohoo Brain Gym is definitely something you can do at home - there are great resources if you want info I can post more.

AFA the rest of the therapy he does, it's a constant growing entity in our home and I am gleaning tons from this forum ;)

I definitely recommend a neuropsych eval. If there is a processing issue, you can figure out how to help him overcome it or make accommodations for it. WHen I do testing with my son, I will get special accommodations made. Most states require by law that testing services give accomodations (like more time, verbal instructions, etc). We have a diagnosis of OHI (other health impairment) so I have testing recommendations from ds' neuropsychologist. I want to know what he knows not that he is able to overcome his difficulties to test well, KWIM? Plus, the neuropsych keeps telling me that there are colleges that will make accommodations for special needs.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Standardized testing blows. Sorry, I can't say anything polite about it.

Go treat yourself nicely. You can not measure your progress or success through these silly tests.

Agree.

Out today is an article you may be interested in, Shari:

http://www.ncld.org/ld-insights/entry/1/168

In my opinion, what matters most is a curriculum based measure (CBM). Is your child learning and mastering his reading/spelling/math curriculum? The sequencing is going to be so different with each curriculum, KWIM?

(((Shari))), I have a special-needs son who tests poorly, too. Like your son, he is all over the map -- and some of his scores are pretty low.

I don't know if this is going to be helpful or not, and I don't even know if it's relevant, but when my son had an evaluation by a school psychologist several years ago, she told us that the wide variation in his scores pointed to "something else" going on besides the issues about which we were aware. The "something else" was likely ADHD, which was diagnosed later.

Of course, knowing that he has a problem that affects his performance on tests doesn't change the fact that homeschoolers in my state still have to take standardized tests. If my son scores too low, the district's response will be, "Too bad. You have a limited amount of time to bring up those scores ... or he's ours."

I'm waiting for our test results. My son's performance on the reading section was ... very discouraging. We've worked so hard all year on comprehension skills, and although his day-to-day work is encouraging, I knew right away he was having a terrible time with the test questions. I'm not looking forward to seeing the results of that section. But I think that the math and language went better.

No words of wisdom. Like others, I dislike standardized tests. They serve a purpose and can provide certain (limited) information -- but they can also make us feel like the most inept homeschoolers in the world. Every time I hear or read "Homeschoolers Score Higher On Standardized Tests Than Their Public School Counterparts," I want to find a hole and crawl into it.

Hugs.

Shari-

You are not alone. If it helps I've held my last two boys back too - in my case I just do a K-5 and K-6 year before we begin first. I have 2E kiddos so sometimes things get tricky. I try not to deal on the grade label - although I live in a state where I have to classify my dc. I work at the level that my dc are on --what that means for example is if my child is at grade level or above in science we work at the higher level - but spelling may only be a 3rd grade level even though they are in middle school. I provide accommodations to my dc just like I would expect the school to if they were in a ps setting. So, I don't grade spelling for in-class writing - but if I assign a paper that they have weeks to work on then one of the requirements is that we work through it and find all spelling mistakes and correct ---any left uncorrected I mark wrong.

We have and we do lots of special instruction too. We've done/are doing VT, OT, use an O-G based reading/spelling program, teach keyboarding early, do lots of oral assignments, etc. and for one meds.

When I worked in the school system I used to tell teachers I was only in favor of holding a child back IF the way they were going to be taught was going to change. In other words - take the info from the test - take the info that you know in your heart and make a plan for next year. What's working - keep doing it. What's not working - how can it be changed to help your dc succeed.

Also, w/ documentation consider offering accommodations for the next standardized testing session - you might be surprised at how much a difference it can make. I remember when I worked at the Univ level I had a student in physics that only needed extended time on in-class exams. The Physics prof told me he didn't think it was fair and what difference could a little time make - the kid was making high B's anyway. I told him the law was on my side and I expected him to provide the accommodation as I had the Univ legal team on my side. So, he wanted to allow his entire class to have extended time. I told him that was fine. He came to me after grading the exams - hands waving wildly ---a few students took him up on the extra time ---their grades fell where they always had. The student w/ the documented disability --he took an extra 20 mins and rec'd a high A.

Also, w/ documentation consider offering accommodations for the next standardized testing session - you might be surprised at how much a difference it can make. I remember when I worked at the Univ level I had a student in physics that only needed extended time on in-class exams. The Physics prof told me he didn't think it was fair and what difference could a little time make - the kid was making high B's anyway. I told him the law was on my side and I expected him to provide the accommodation as I had the Univ legal team on my side. So, he wanted to allow his entire class to have extended time. I told him that was fine. He came to me after grading the exams - hands waving wildly ---a few students took him up on the extra time ---their grades fell where they always had. The student w/ the documented disability --he took an extra 20 mins and rec'd a high A.

That's really interesting! I've wondered if the accommodations people talk about were "fair." It didn't occur to me that the other students, even with more time, would still get basically the same grades. That's really interesting.

That's really interesting! I've wondered if the accommodations people talk about were "fair." It didn't occur to me that the other students, even with more time, would still get basically the same grades. That's really interesting.

I believe accomodations for extra time are absolutely fair. Many individuals with dyslexia have very low processing speed-- they just think slower.

I believe accomodations for extra time are absolutely fair. Many individuals with dyslexia have very low processing speed-- they just think slower.

Oh my lands, you don't have to tell me! I've come to realize, in the last little bit, that I basically spend all my time perpetually aggravated with dd. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, takes a bit longer to process, a bit longer to filter. And it's hard because you *think* it's a discipline or disobedience issue. You *think* you're supposed to be requiring them to get it the first time. But it's almost like they really DIDN'T get it.

I don't even know what the answer is on that one. So this affects way more than academics. It extends into everyday life.

I suppose we should get the neuropsych eval done at some point. Might give me some clue how to live with her. I'm going to need to process this. See I think in my depths I *know* the processing speed issue is there, but I've never really let that understanding translate over from academic time to the rest of life. In academics you sort of get used to it. But then in regular life you expect them to be a sort of way, and they aren't. It just takes an extra step to process, to transition, to get there. It's not immediate like our books tell us it ought to be.

So how do you all handle processing speed with everyday events, commands, and transitions? Any tips? I think I need a new mantra or working model here.

Just wanted to add my support - Your child tests like any child with a learning disablility...in fact, having some strong areas and some extreme weaknesses IS the definition of a learning disability or difference. So take a deep breath. I spent all yesterday am reading old posts about "holding back" or not here. My oldest was first tested with a full pysch ed profile after his 3rd grade tests came back just as you describe - college level vocab, 2nd grade grammer (because he couldn't read the questions), etc...I had known there was something before that, but...

So after full testing, we came to a diagnosis of significant dyslexia and an abysmal processing speed....the tester felt there was no way to really get accurate test results on his skills, because of the above problems and his anxiety...now after 18 months of tutoring he at least knows he's not dumb. He can read above grade level, and is keeping up with the historical novel a week pace of SL, although it takes him forever and huge amounts of effort, but still mis-reads simple words sometimes...and spells like a caveman (or should I say licke a cavmann?). His processing speed makes everything take FOREVER...even the math he is good at! Soooo...we are discussing 4 years of middle school versus 3.

I am not calling it holding him back, because he will NOT be repeating work. He will continue with middle school level science, history, literature and math. He will do 4-5th grade LA, and AAS. He will have the 2-3 hours a day to practice his violin that he wishes and which has placed him in an adult orchestra. He will be able to continue to be on a gymnastics team and thus have fun age mate time. He will have to work hard, and have limited "free time". He will actually be with his friends at SS, as he has an end of April birthday, and here in Oregon, although the public school cut off is 9/1, the private schools use June or July dates, which in ds's case has meant that 3 of his 4 closest friends, who happen to be 1-2 months younger, are actually "a grade behind him". He was already registered with the school district as a 4th grader this year, rather than 5th, as after his test scores, (which, by the way were actually quite acceptable to the school district, but not to me), I called them up, and discussed his learning disability (by then documented), and they said I could call him "whatever grade I wished, as long as he met their standards".

I am saying all of this partially to make sure "you all" don't think I am crazy, but mostly to say that we need to take each child's needs in mind - home education allows these kids with learning differences to learn at their best - and when we spend too much time thinking about "grade levels" we probably do them a diservice. My goal with all three kids is to get them to college (or if that wasn't in the cards, their chosen field) with a great education and a feeling of confidence in their ability to handle whatever challenges come their way. I fully expect my kids to be able to succeed in college, but I would be doing him a disservice if I expected ds #1 to be ready as easily as his not LD siblings...and he needs the time to learn HIS WAY. And pushing him on at the expense of those things which he does succeed in (Educational experts call these "islands of excellence" and recommend that every LD child be encouraged to find theirs, whether art, music, hands on skills, people skills, etc...) will not make him happy in the long run.

Would I feel the same way if he were very conscious of grade level? I'm not sure, but we talk about how each kid works at "lots of different levels" in our home - and in the end, this isn't his choice, but mine. I know that in ps they try not to "hold back", for social reasons, and frankly, with LDs, its not about doing "more of the same" , which is frequently all that is offered in ps....I think in HS we can teach differently, teach slower, allow time to process, and keep kids learning in their areas of interest so that in the end they like learning, even if never can spell!!!

Erin

For words moving around on the page, you might also want to try reading The Gift of Dyslexia and see whether the exercises are helpful.

Y'all haven't really met me yet, but I'll chime in to agree that my dd's test scores with dysgraphia (possibly dyslexia) are very similar...good vocab, great science...absymal math and spelling.

For us, though, she actually LIKES math, or at least it was her favorite when she was having a hard time learning to read. But the problem is remembering the facts. Concepts are fine. She can count the answer (most of the time...as long as visual processing doesn't get in the way like counting her way down a multiplication chart can go awry). But memorizing math facts has been rough. And spelling? She actally can memorize a list...but what she generates spontaneously is very, very primative.

Our solution is that most of what we're doing doesn't have a grade level on the cover. We went all the way back to Math U See Alpha and All About Spelling Level One, and we informed her that it was necessary to build from the ground up...that even though she was used to larger words and bigger problems, we were going to solidify the building blocks--the short words in All About Spelling will someday be syllables in longer words (I give random examples, like man...manager). I emphasize that instead of being limited to just a few words on the list, she's learning to sound out thousands of words on her own, one short syllable at a time, that's how words are made. And doing the work on the math facts will make the longer problems easier. We kept on with grade-level science, literature, social studies, but with a literature-based approach, it's okay for a range of ages, so we could go down or up, depending on needs.

As far as state-accountability, and worrying in my mother's heart about whether or not she'll "catch up," we're going to try schooling more than 180 days, and just hoping for the best. I'm scared, but convinced it's way better than the alternative of NOT going back to build up the basics.

Edited by Love_to_Read

I can soooo relate....zach is an amazing reader-can read just about anything he picks up but struggles with the longer chapter books....our homeschool book club has chosen longer books recently and it just hurts me that Zach isn't able to finish the book in the allotted time---sometimes I think he gets overwhelmed with HOW much of it there is and goes for the shorter books-even though he CAN read the longer books.....this year we're behind-both of us got sick in january and that just threw us off-planning to work through the summer to TRY and catch up-but doubt we'll get totally finished and ready for 3rd grade so I'm struggling with that too-I doubt we'll go back and totally re-do 2nd grade (unless I see there are some points that he needs to go over again) -we'll just start our next "level" later....once we're done with where we are now...... believe me I can totally relate to your post........:001_smile: