Menu

I *REALLY* need help re: FUNCTIONAL purse

ok, I really need some help selecting the right purse/sling/backpack. I would like something that looks really nice, but I desperately need function. I've had Fossil bags, which I really like. Most purses I've ever carried mainly function as something that carries my wallet. So I transitioned over to Fossil so I could use the organizer instead of a wallet. Then when I got my mother's VERY expensive diamond ring I felt it necessary to switch to designer bags. I have a shoulder injury which makes me have to carry bags with a long strap ONLY, so I bought a Dooney and Bourke bag. It's small, and I wanted this so I couldnt put tons of crap in it. I've had it nearly a year and have disciplined myself not to put junk in it but that was easy. It's SMALL and only carries my leather checkbook, Droid X, reading glasses, and lipstick. I carry all those extra cards I only use once per year, like reward cards, specific shop cards (Macy's, Penny's, Target, etc.) which I use irregularly as I'm NOT a shopper! and that's about all it can carry. I love it for the long strap but it's really too small, and I also hate that I'm an ordinary mom spending lots of time running errands and sitting at sports with my Dooney and Bourke bag.

I've been researching online and can't make up my mind. I'm thinking a sling will fit for this casual mom and on the rare occasion I need to dress up, I will use my D&B.

Here's my problem. While at a synchro swim competition for dd11, I was SHOCKED when someone had me try on their backpack. It was FAR larger than my D&B bag and yet far less heavier. I really need something LIGHT because I have much back pain from a slight scoliosis and I have shoulder injuries. That said, I really want something that looks nice!!! I *ALWAYS* have such heavy bags. How can I organize cards, checkbook, phone, and have something really cute, while still being light? ALL my bags are SO heavy!!!

Can anyone help me?

Edited by Denisemomof4

I think the big difference, weight-wise, is between leather & fabric materials. If you carry a leather bag, it will be heavier. There are lots of cute/fun/casual style purses made of fabric. You can cut out a lot of weight that way.

ok, I really need some help selecting the right purse/sling/backpack. I would like something that looks really nice, but I desperately need function. I've had Fossil bags, which I really like. Most purses I've ever carried mainly function as something that carries my wallet. So I transitioned over to Fossil so I could use the organizer instead of a wallet. Then when I got my mother's VERY expensive diamond ring I felt it necessary to switch to designer bags. I have a shoulder injury which makes me have to carry bags with a long strap ONLY, so I bought a Dooney and Bourke bag. It's small, and I wanted this so I couldnt put tons of crap in it. I've had it nearly a year and have disciplined myself not to put junk in it but that was easy. It's SMALL and only carries my leather checkbook, Droid X, reading glasses, and lipstick. I carry all those extra cards I only use once per year, like reward cards, specific shop cards (Macy's, Penny's, Target, etc.) which I use irregularly as I'm NOT a shopper! and that's about all it can carry. I love it for the long strap but it's really too small, and I also hate that I'm an ordinary mom spending lots of time running errands and sitting at sports with my Dooney and Bourke bag.

I've been researching online and can't make up my mind. I'm thinking a sling will fit for this casual mom and on the rare occasion I need to dress up, I will use my D&B.

Here's my problem. While at a synchro swim competition for dd11, I was SHOCKED when someone had me try on their backpack. It was FAR larger than my D&B bag and yet far less heavier. I really need something LIGHT because I have much back pain from a slight scoliosis and I have shoulder injuries. That said, I really want something that looks nice!!! I *ALWAYS* have such heavy bags. How can I organize cards, checkbook, phone, and have something really cute, while still being light? ALL my bags are SO heavy!!!

Can anyone help me?

D&B bags are heavy IMO.

I've come to realize I have to have an everyday small purse....and a bag I can grab if I need something bigger....for books or notepads or kid stuff. In your case the backpack would be great as secondary 'storage'.

I had been carrying a big bag for several months when I needed it for a conference....been to lazy to change back to my small purse. I went back to small purse Friday and WOW! Soooo much better.

I don't even know what a Fossil bag is but I really like my "Healthy Back Bag." It slings over the shoulder, the shape of the purse contours to your body and they come in at least 3 sizes I know of. Mine is a medium size and fits my fat checkbook (fat as in loaded with business cards and receipts, unfortunately not money), calendar, chapstick, sunglasses and a few more items.

http://sitincomfort.com/healbacbagfr.html?src=google&gclid=CNb--s27_KgCFcgZQgodHnj5Sg

Edited by Liz CA

I used to carry fossil organizer purses, then a friend introduced me to her Brighton organizer cross-body purse. It's a purse and wallet in one, and it has an outside change pocket and a pocket for your cell or your sunglasses.

They're expensive, but I buy them gently used on Ebay, so they're more affordable. ;-)

I have one similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com/Brighton-FRENCH-KISS-Blk-Handbag-ORGANIZER-Purse-160-/120726068620?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item1c1bd59d8c#ht_590wt_890. B/c I got it used on Ebay, instead of paying full retail, I got it for about $50.

I've been impressed with the quality, too. When my strap broke after 2 years of wear, Brighton replaced it - free. :)

Lisa

I love my Sherpani Pica.

I am not a purse/ accessories person by any stretch of the imagination. I like practical and simple. This bag is both and also has the benefit of being cute. I love it.

Here's another for Sherpani, except I got the Switch model. I've worn cross body purses for years now and this one is the most comfortable one I've owned (beats Bagalini and others). Fun, summery colors and very light weight. www.sherpani.com HTH.

I bought myself this crossbody bag for Christmas.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-bag/94553?productid=1318670

It has tons of pockets and it's really easy to keep organized. I carried it for a few months and liked it but I ended up deciding it was too big for *me*. It's really not very big but I want something small enough that I don't take it off once I leave the house. I went back to a tiny Coach swingpack, it's probably similar to what you're carrying now.

I was also looking at this one at ebags.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/villa-cross-body/204598?productid=10109634

Love mine, wouldn't hesitate to replace!

Overland Donner

http://www.overlandequipment.com/catalog/#/overview/donner

I've had it a couple years now and use it daily. It goes hiking with me, is comfy across the chest when I need hands free, very organized, holds my stuff as well as a water bottle, and kid's special meds (epi reg, epi jr, inhaler, etc.).

:iagree:

This bag is amazing! You can generally get it way cheaper on Sierra trading and wow, it has become one of my favorite gifts to give as well. My only complaint now is that it needs to be about one inch wider to accommodate my ipad better. Once you no longer need lots of room, it is the best diaper bag too.

I don't even know what a Fossil bag is but I really like my "Healthy Back Bag." It slings over the shoulder, the shape of the purse contours to your body and they come in at least 3 sizes I know of. Mine is a medium size and fits my fat checkbook (fat as in loaded with business cards and receipts, unfortunately not money), calendar, chapstick, sunglasses and a few more items.

http://sitincomfort.com/healbacbagfr.html?src=google&gclid=CNb--s27_KgCFcgZQgodHnj5Sg

Can you tell me how many pockets this has on the outside. I am looking a comfortable, lightweight purse but it has to have three pockets on the outside for my: cell phone (easy access), coin purse and keys. Inside my purse I carry a wallet, checkbook, comb, feminine products, a small bag with first aid/personal care products and glasses. Would this work and if so what size would I need and what material would you recommend?

I've had Fossil bags, which I really like. Most purses I've ever carried mainly function as something that carries my wallet. So I transitioned over to Fossil so I could use the organizer instead of a wallet. Then when I got my mother's VERY expensive diamond ring I felt it necessary to switch to designer bags.

I don't understand what's wrong with Fossil bags? :confused: I look forward to whenever my friend gives me her Fossil hand-me-downs. I would go with the bag you like.

I do have a Brighton purse that I really like, though.

They have leather, microfiber, distressed nylon, & tapestry. They have scaled back their choices in the distressed nylon category which is what I am partial too. I have 3 distressed nylon: two small & one medium. Also 1 microfiber. I got two off Ebay inexpensively, one someplace other than Ameribag less expensively than directly from Ameribag. The medium is plenty big. That's why I scaled back to small for everyday. I use medium for day trips lunches, books etc. I find very comfortable & they are marketed for people with back problems. I haven't ever had any issues, but find all around handy & many, many great pockets for total organization. I love so much I don't ever plan on switching back to traditional purses except on rare dressy occasion which I have a black leather bag for. Also the nylon washes up great in washer. I hope you find a bag you like & works for you.

They have leather, microfiber, distressed nylon, & tapestry. They have scaled back their choices in the distressed nylon category which is what I am partial too. I have 3 distressed nylon: two small & one medium. Also 1 microfiber. I got two off Ebay inexpensively, one someplace other than Ameribag less expensively than directly from Ameribag. The medium is plenty big. That's why I scaled back to small for everyday. I use medium for day trips lunches, books etc. I find very comfortable & they are marketed for people with back problems. I haven't ever had any issues, but find all around handy & many, many great pockets for total organization. I love so much I don't ever plan on switching back to traditional purses except on rare dressy occasion which I have a black leather bag for. Also the nylon washes up great in washer. I hope you find a bag you like & works for you.

Ameribag gets my vote too. I originally purchased a Medium and it's my winter bag. I can fit extra gloves in it. I use a small throughout the summer. There is a pocket for everything (chapstick, phone, wallet, interior key ring and water bottle on the outisde)! A friend of mine doesn't carry a purse - just a wallet. I bought her a Ameribag Baglette and it's perfect for her.

Overstocks carries them as well as Sierra Trading. I love them!

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Ameribag-Distressed-Nylon-Healthy-Back-Sling-Bag/5782052/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

These may be too casual-looking for you, but some of the styles are (to me, at least!) really cute, and they are very light-weight: http://www.lesportsac.com/ They come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you might find something you like.

I don't have any advice, but I just want to say how helpful all of this information has been for me!! Thank you!! I have been looking for the perfect purse for years, and have never heard of several of these brands -- and they seem PERFECT.

Warning: I definitely AM a purse/accessories person, so this may not help you AT ALL!:lol: I have a "thing" for purses, shoes, and...organizers.:001_huh:

All of my Dooneys and Coaches are lined up nice and pretty in my closet. Lately, I've been totally enamored with Vera Bradley. They're just so, so pretty.:D They're fabric, so lightweight. Of course, I have to have the matching wallet, checkbook, etc. But the larger wallets are so functional. Right now I'm using the one with the silver turn-clasp on the front and the purse with the "kiss clasp." (that's what the co. calls those silver ball-type clasps.) Everything I need fits inside the purse. There are interior pockets for things. Outside, there's a place for my cell phone and keys.

There are tons and tons of styles to choose from.

http://www.verabradley.com

Eagle Creek Bohemian http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/shoulder_bags/Bohemian-40484/ is wonderful. Enough but not too many compartments. I can put all of my doo-dads (phone, pens, brush, coupons, cash, pod, teabags, sweetener, credit cards, loyalty cards, Kindle) in the various pockets and the main pocket is free for a baggie that holds my lipstick, lip goo, lotion, benadryl creme and still have room for the "surprise" thing you always have to carry...daytimer or whatever.

The trick for me was to realize that the little credit cards don't need their own individual pockets. My license, credit card, loyalty cards all go in one pocket. Cash doesn't need to be in a wallet. The bills and change all go in another zipper pocket. Kindle in another. Coupons and sweetner and teabag and kitchen knife in another.

This is a great handbag...light but big enough to handle all I need it to.

The alternative is this one: http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp?collection=%27wa%27%20&product=%27WBL149%27. I really like this one better EXCEPT it is not big enough for the sunglasses or daytmier that I need from time to time. This one is better because it can become a fanny-pack on the fly; I have used that feature more than once.

Both are lightweight microfiber or nylon. I was a leather-handbag-only person until the weight started getting me down. I love accoutrements. But not neck-aches.

Thank you so much! I looked at all the purses recommended here and went with a baggallini zipper purse. I love it. I was worried it wouldn't be attractive. It is very nice, and it is light and keeps all my stuff organized. I am in heaven.