Menu

Brick Floor - Complete!

Well - we did it :) It is a very time consuming, and exhausting, install. We do love it :) I can't say how easy it will be to take care of, but so far I haven't had to do anything except sweep dog hair. Nothing shows :)

I can't figure out how to make pictures work here, but here is a link. Hope it works!

http://kristyspictures5.shutterfly.com/kitchen

Kristy,

You guys always have something going on! Looks really cool. Congrats on getting it done. Now, what's next??

Next? (wiping brow and sighing...)

Actually, we still need to finish the backsplash, toekicks, baseboards, etc. What you also aren't seeing is the bare, rough concrete floor in the dining room and living room that we are covering with bamboo :)

We chose brick, well - because my DH saw it in some homes and fell in love with it. I liked the look, but was terrified of the cleaning! After much research, we decided to go ahead with it. I am really happy we did :)

LOL re the fridge. It is actually two seperate units. One is the fridge and the other the freezer. They can be seperated. We have some metal trim that goes around the top and sides (not complete) that will make it look like one big built-in unit.

The rest of the house is a complete disaster. Remodeled - but a disaster. It is amazing what 7 weeks of construction will do.

Next? (wiping brow and sighing...)

Actually, we still need to finish the backsplash, toekicks, baseboards, etc. What you also aren't seeing is the bare, rough concrete floor in the dining room and living room that we are covering with bamboo :)

I know sometimes it is overwhelming to get to "House Beautiful" but I'm sure you will be very pleased with the overall result!

Thanks, everyone - I've been really nervous about a lot of the choices we made... we're a bit eclectic...

They are 1/2 inch think slices from the back and front of reclaimed brick (you can't see it, but about 45% of them have words stamped into them from the manufacturer), and we have a slab floor.

As for what I found out about cleaning - we decided to seal with a linseed oil based sealer (Ring Brick Sealer). You clean with water and vinegar, and re-seal occasionally. It isn't a shiny, laquer type finish - I'm hoping when we do it (in about 6 weeks - you have to let the brick dry for a long time) that t won't darken the floor too much...

The Ring Brick pepople sell a weekly cleaner that also kinda-sorta re-seals the brick a bit (or maintains the sealer, I suppose). I'm probably only going to use it about once a month because it is do darn expensive!