Menu

AAS too easy???

I am hesitant to ask this becuase I know many people use and LOVE AAS and seem to get kind of upset when anything negative is said about the program.... but here it goes.

We really like the program. I love the rules and phonograms and just the way spelling is taught in it. It goes smoothly (now that I know how to teach it) and is, well, a good fit for us for the most part. BUT :) Is it normal for my son to get every word right the first time? I have heard many times from others that it isn't for natural spellers. My son is probably what you would call a natural speller but I just really want him to have the phonogram or phonetic approach to spelling so if he encounters a word he has never seen he will be better able to spell it. I just feel like we are wasting time though with AAS because he already knows how to spell the words before I have even explained the step or key card. So I am curious as to whether it is just because we are still on level 1 and he is at the end of 2nd grade or if it is just an altogether easy spelling program.

I have looked into Spalding (WRTR) and Spell to Write and Read because like I said I like the phonogram approach... but I am worried that I won't be able to figure those out.

So I need help. Should I stick it out with AAS, go with either WRTR or SWR, or find a different program that uses this approach but is more advanced? Maybe AAS gets better as it goes? Do kids using this test well? Maybe my son is just a natural speller and it's ok for it to be that easy? I have level 2 as well and it seems kind of on the easy side too. Although, we were using R&S spelling by sound and structure grd 2 and we stopped because there was very few words he didn't know from that one. So maybe it is normal for kids to know most of the words they are learning in grade level spelling? I am rambling, sorry.

These are the things I want in a spelling program.

-Dictation sentences with built in review

-Rule and phonics based

I don't want a strickly memorization of words program.

When did you begin? My DS started level 1 last June right after he finished K at school. He finished Level 1 in 4 weeks (including time off for being out of town.) He finished Level 2 in 3-4 months. He almost finished Level 3 in 4 months. We're on a break from it right now. I combined several steps in Level 1, because he already knew so much.

If it is too easy I would just focus on reviewing the rules and keep moving through the words until it gets a bit harder. I started it with my natural speller and we went through several lessons each day until he got to the point where he needed to slow down. Mine was older than yours but you could probably do the same thing.

-Rule and phonics based

How To Spell (workbooks) and How To Teach Spelling fit your criteria, and include harder words. It will also end up being much cheaper because the TM covers grades k-12.

We switched from AAS to HTTS after I realized my dc could spell all the words in AAS even though they didn't necessarily know the rules. And, I'd rather not spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on spelling if I don't need to.

How To Spell (workbooks) and How To Teach Spelling fit your criteria, and include harder words. It will also end up being much cheaper because the TM covers grades k-12.

We switched from AAS to HTTS after I realized my dc could spell all the words in AAS even though they didn't necessarily know the rules. And, I'd rather not spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on spelling if I don't need to.

:iagree: AAS words are extremely easy (I would say the first 2 levels don't even make it beyond typical first grade words.....at least in our house and I have a couple of really poor spellers.)

I don't use the workbooks. Instead, I implement HTTS directly from the TM. Cheap and effective if you can figure out how to do it on your own.

Dd does very well in it, but she does need it broken down in the tiny steps. We fly through them when we do it, but she does have a lightbulb moment pretty much every step. *I can segmenting & then just put the letter for that sound & that spells the word right?!* in steps 13-15, for instance. We only do a handful of words from the list though.

When we did AAS, I used the words in HTTS to bump up the difficulty. I like the way AAS explains the *concepts* using the tiles, but the words are awfully simple for an older remedial student. In your case, with a student who has no problems spelling at all, I don't see why you don't just move on. No need to be chicken about SWR. It would get your dc to a much higher level more quickly. You'll probably find yourself merging what you like of AAS with it. You'd have a little learning curve, but you'd be fine.

And yes, I've literally used AAS, HTTS, SWR, PR, WRTR, the Calvert cds, MCP, and more trying to help my dd... Some people don't have spelling stick in their brain. For kids that do, don't be silly and get stuck in programs meant for the opposite type of kid. This is NOT one-size fits all. ;)

Level 1 is K level for a typical student, so yes, I would think it would be too easy for a second grader who is a natural speller. :)

Level 3 is where it ramps up a little bit in difficulty, because of the dictation. BTW I love the dictation aspect of AAS, with the built-in review. For reference, my third grader is finishing level 5. We finished level 3 in second grade. He is not at all a natural speller but is doing well with AAS. He is spot on "grade level" when I have periodically given him the SWR tests, and other tests I've found online. The levels are definitely not grade levels. I am anxiously awaiting to see what is contained in level 7.

Level 1 for 2nd grade sounds entirely to easy to me. I think it would be good to start at level 1 just to be sure he knew all the key cards and sounds before moving on, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as my only spelling for a 2nd grader. I'm making my 3rd grader go back and review level 1 with my little ones to make sure he doesn't miss anything, but I just make him sit for the cards and he doesn't do the spelling and dictation on paper.

If it is too easy I would just focus on reviewing the rules and keep moving through the words until it gets a bit harder. I started it with my natural speller and we went through several lessons each day until he got to the point where he needed to slow down. Mine was older than yours but you could probably do the same thing.

:iagree:

My 2nd grader is why we began homeschooling since the traditional schools reported that he was seriously behind in reading, and I could see a future of special reading classes, and feeling of failure. I brought him home in the beginning of first grade and by no means consider him above level in spelling or reading. I am thrilled that he is just now on level. WE recently finished AAS2 and his reading and spelling soared when it all finally clicked and I credit AAS with that change, but that isn't the reason I am posting, just background.

We just finished the Language Arts portion of the Iowa Tests (complete Battery) and he aced the spelling section. He didn't even wait for me to read each set of words and use them in a sentence as the Testing manual states, but just looked at the words and knew which ones were incorrect. I credit AAS with giving him that ability and confidence.

I don't know the future, but out of all our curriculum, AAS is the only thing that I am sure about.

Maybe you could go through quickly until you found where he stops being comfortable. Just review the rest like the PP's said. I don't think it will be a waste of money though because you have two other kids. I would just start the K'er in Level 1 as well so it isn't just review. I am doing AAS1 with my DS5 this year.

AAS would have annoyed my daughter to no end. She is a natural speller and the simple memorize it for Friday type list worked fine for her.

For my son who is struggling with writing and spelling, AAS has been a godsend. We've made slow and steady progress. We just finished up level 2 and he is 9yo (we started late though).

I still don't know how AAS is going to work for the long haul though because these past two weeks of review have shown me he is STILL struggling with the words we learned in levels 1 & 2. :glare:

So it probably just depends on the child. I'd go as fast as you need to and just slow down when it gets tougher.

We've been doing it total for about 3 weeks. We are on step 18. We haven't been doing it consistently during that time though. I should have combined maybe? So levels 2 & 3 went fast too... hmm that could get expensive.

You may want to look at the online samples to see how it progresses, to help you decide if it's going to be a good long-term fit for your son. He may not need all that AAS offers, or it may be just that the early words are easy (level 1 words are very easy to catch on to because there aren't any rule-breakers and kids haven't had to choose between more than one way to spell a sound yet. AAS gradually and incrementally steps up the difficulty in that area, in the beginning they want kids to be confident and see that our language does work in predictable ways). My kids only needed 3 weeks in level 1 but needed much more work in level 2, so it took them quite a bit longer to do that level (one did it in 4.5 months, the other in 7 months). But other kids might not need all of that.

This page has links to levels 1-3 samples. HTH some! Merry :-)

How many levels do you have at the moment? I had one in grade 1 and one in grade 3 when we started it, and they both flew through Level 1 in a month. I'm glad that we did, as it made sure there were no gaps. During level 2 they slowed down and found their own individual pace/needs. (I'd bought levels 1 and 2 at the time as I'd thought that might be the case.)

The beauty of AAS, to me, was the way it just customized itself to the kid. When it was easy, they flew through; when there was a harder bit, they took longer.

Min

Well, my DD is in level 2 right now, and she still gets MOST of her words spelled correctly on the first time through, but to me that is a sign that she is internalizing the concepts. Because AAS is a conceptually based program, she has actually been applying syllabification rules that we have learned AHEAD of the program in her writing, which is so exciting to me!

Even if the words are easy, I'm happy, because she is learning spelling CONCEPTS and not just memorizing lists :).

Even if the words are easy, I'm happy, because she is learning spelling CONCEPTS and not just memorizing lists :).

WRTR and SWR do not use the memorizing lists approach either. Isn't AAS another Spalding spin-off just like SWR ;)?

AAS is definitely Orton-Gillingham based! I wasn't specifically comparing AAS to WRTR or SWR though :).

I figure if DD knows the 'lists' after we teach the lesson that she has understood the concepts and THAT is why she gets the words right the first time, not because the lists were too easy to start with.

Hope that clarifies.

I wasn't specifically comparing AAS to WRTR or SWR though :).

I know ;). I was just clarifying, since the OP mentioned WRTR and SWR in her original post, in case someone reading got the impression that those mentioned prior were actually using the memorization approach :).

Well, not exactly. To clarify, All About Spelling and Spalding both draw from the same research base: Orton-Gillingham. That accounts for the similarities (phonograms, rules, etc.)

Thank you for the clarification :). I think I got confused a little with Sanseri and Beers. Need to get these things straight :tongue_smilie:.

Edited by Guest

Spelling methodology is way out of my knowledge scope! We are using AAS from level 1 to solidify/learn rules because the list-for-Friday's-test method we previously used was working but my 1st grader wasn't applying any rules outside of that. The words in level 1 are definitely too easy for a 2nd grader IMHO, but I am more concerned with my son learning the concepts not the actual words at this point. It seems like having "easy" words helps him focus on the actual rules, which is exactly what he needed. But again, I am definitely no spelling expert!!

I'm just wondering, for those who "fly through" AAS level 1 are you 1)skipping parts of the lesson if you think your dc has a good understanding 2) doing multiple lessons at a time, or 3) some other method that I didn't mention? We aren't that far into it, and I just don't know if I should speed things up or just keep plugging along to make sure we don't skip anything important? I have already found myself not doing as many of the examples listed if he really get's it.

Thanks!!

Edited by joyfulmomSDG

We are doing all the lessons. I have not done the review at the start of each lesson. I also have not done all the words for extra practice, but we did do all of the rest of the lesson. She is flying through this, but it is good practice to see how the lessons flow for when it starts getting harder.

Thanks! I think my son would be able to do more than one lesson in a sitting - especially because we don't do all the word for extra practice either. We are wrapping up 1st grade in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to get all the way through level 1 before starting 2nd grade. I just don't want to miss anything important...which was my whole reason for going with AAS and starting with level 1 in the first place! Thanks again!

Spelling methodology is way out of my knowledge scope! We are using AAS from level 1 to solidify/learn rules because the list-for-Friday's-test method we previously used was working but my 1st grader wasn't applying any rules outside of that. The words in level 1 are definitely too easy for a 2nd grader IMHO, but I am more concerned with my son learning the concepts not the actual words at this point. It seems like having "easy" words helps him focus on the actual rules, which is exactly what he needed. But again, I am definitely no spelling expert!!

I'm just wondering, for those who "fly through" AAS level 1 are you 1)skipping parts of the lesson if you think your dc has a good understanding 2) doing multiple lessons at a time, or 3) some other method that I didn't mention? We aren't that far into it, and I just don't know if I should speed things up or just keep plugging along to make sure we don't skip anything important? I have already found myself not doing as many of the examples listed if he really get's it.

Thanks!!

I remember combining many of the short vowels into one lesson. I was still very happy we started at the beginning, because of the key cards. It also gave us a chance to get the routine of the program down. Look for future levels used. I got a very good deal on 2-4.

Thanks!!

I did Level 1 with 9 & 11 yo's, so they definitely didn't need the words from level 1. I focused on concepts--the extra sounds of some of the letters that they didn't know for step 1, rather than all of the letters. The segmenting steps, I focused on longer words since they had done a fair amount of segmenting before AAS. I skipped all of the short vowel steps because they knew that. Taught the extra sounds for CH, and then focused on the steps that taught about choosing C vs. K, or CK vs. K at the end of a word, doubling F, L, and S, etc... Even in those steps, my kids had already memorized how to spell those words, so what I focused on was the concept. I'd teach it, then I'd give them a few words and have them teach it back to me. I said, "I know you know how to spell these words. Tell me why they are spelled this way." When they could explain the concept back to me, I moved on--I didn't do all the words or dictations. We only took about 3 weeks to do Level 1, but it was time well spent here, and definitely foundational to the higher levels. I'm glad we did it.

I'd go through it quickly enough to keep their interest, but slowly enough to make sure the concepts are solid. Spend more time on harder concepts, and less time on the stuff you're sure your child knows. HTH! Merry :-)

I am hesitant to ask this becuase I know many people use and LOVE AAS and seem to get kind of upset when anything negative is said about the program.... but here it goes.

We really like the program. I love the rules and phonograms and just the way spelling is taught in it. It goes smoothly (now that I know how to teach it) and is, well, a good fit for us for the most part. BUT :) Is it normal for my son to get every word right the first time? I have heard many times from others that it isn't for natural spellers. My son is probably what you would call a natural speller but I just really want him to have the phonogram or phonetic approach to spelling so if he encounters a word he has never seen he will be better able to spell it. I just feel like we are wasting time though with AAS because he already knows how to spell the words before I have even explained the step or key card. So I am curious as to whether it is just because we are still on level 1 and he is at the end of 2nd grade or if it is just an altogether easy spelling program.

I have looked into Spalding (WRTR) and Spell to Write and Read because like I said I like the phonogram approach... but I am worried that I won't be able to figure those out.

So I need help. Should I stick it out with AAS, go with either WRTR or SWR, or find a different program that uses this approach but is more advanced? Maybe AAS gets better as it goes? Do kids using this test well? Maybe my son is just a natural speller and it's ok for it to be that easy? I have level 2 as well and it seems kind of on the easy side too. Although, we were using R&S spelling by sound and structure grd 2 and we stopped because there was very few words he didn't know from that one. So maybe it is normal for kids to know most of the words they are learning in grade level spelling? I am rambling, sorry.

-Rule and phonics based

Apples and Pears meets your needs. That's what I would look into If I were you.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

-Rule and phonics based

Apples and Pears meets your needs. That's what I would look into If I were you.

I was under the impression that Apples and Pears is morpheme based, not phonics based.

When I said we flew through the first book, this is how we did it.

Did each lesson as scripted; I didn't skip anything. However, because it was very easy for the kids in the beginning, we did minimal review, unless it was clearly needed. We saved time by only using the tiles slightly differently - I use them to demonstrate, and then only get the kid to use them for the spelling words if I think there will be a mistake. Lessons were quick and we did sometimes do another step in a day, depending. I thought it was well worth starting at level 1.

We just found that there was a point at which they naturally needed more time/reinforcement/brainpower, and AAS just seemed to be structured in such a way that it customised itself to the kid. At that point we slowed down, needed more review, often took several days over one step. Not always, it seemed that there would be a "hard" step, followed by an "easy" one, which was great.

I love AAS. (Not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer.) We're afterschoolers and it made the most massive difference for one of my kids after only 2 levels. The other one has had a break while we did some other stuff, but we're about to go back to it again. The first one is doing another program from her school, but if it doesn't do the trick, we'll be back to AAS in a flash.

Min