Menu

Nice public school night

I thought I would let you all know there is hope. I already often think I live in a parallel universe...and this will be yet another apologetic post re public schoolers...but I cannot help myself.

Today I attended a youth symphony orchestra recital held at a state university, and the students (8-21), were outstanding! So amazingly talented, so lovely, so gracious, so warm. I was so proud, and only one of the many was my own child. The young musicians were from various public schoools, and public and private colleges. They represented a local, but large & diverse area... yadda yadda.

There was such amazing talent present. These musicians were serious and wonderful. They shook hands with folks after the performance and many were quite articulate and gracious as they were congratulated. There were also many young siblings in attendance who were beautifully behaved.

Edited by LibraryLover

That sounds like a fine time! And I agree...there are many articulate, bright, and well mannered children found in all areas of education (and unfortunately some who definitely do NOT fit those attributes). Of course you were at a symphony which is something that parents who expect more from their children or hope for better for their children will be involved with anyway. These are also families to which hard work is a natural part of life - practicing for hours a day and keeping grades up. You know what I mean?

I thought I would let you all know there is hope. I already often think I live in a parallel universe...and this will be yet another apologetic post re public schoolers...but I cannot help myself.

Today I attended a youth symphony orchestra recital held at a state university and the students (8-21) were outstanding! So amazingly talented, so lovely, so gracious, so warm. I was so proud, and only one of the many was my child. The children were from various public schoools and public and private colleges. They represented a local, but large & diverse area... yadda yadda.

There was such amazing talent present. These musicians were serious and wonderful. They shook hands with folks after the performance and many were quite articulate and gracious as they were congratulated. There were also many young siblings in attendance who were beautifully behaved. One could have heard a pin drop at the musical lulls. The parents were also dressed to the nines, which I love. :) It was all wonderful.

I shall once again retreat my bubble.

Thanks for sharing. That sounds like a lovely experience. :)

Since the majority of American children go through public schools, it is certainly to be expected that some wonderful and talented people will come from public schools.

I think that's fantastic to hear. But I also think that perhaps a recital would not be representative of your "typical" student, homeschool or other? It is my considered option that students of music might be more ... thoughtful? ... than your average child. This is based, I guess on a comparison of the handful of homeschoolers I know who are very focused on music versus the average. They're a particularly lovely bunch ;-)

That sounds like a fine time! And I agree...there are many articulate, bright, and well mannered children found in all areas of education (and unfortunately some who definitely do NOT fit those attributes). Of course you were at a symphony which is something that parents who expect more from their children or hope for better for their children will be involved with anyway. These are also families to which hard work is a natural part of life - practicing for hours a day and keeping grades up. You know what I mean?

I know what *you* mean, but most folks here don't expereince these sorts of kids. They are not involved with groups of public school children, and therefore don't realize so many of these amazing children exist. I've never read anything here from hsers about attending such an event. I know many people here cannot afford to go to the symphony, not even a $10 one.

This performance was in a very economically depressed city. It continues by the grace of the parents and thoughtful donations.

Edited by LibraryLover

Sounds wonderful:)

It was, Jean. I cried. Does one stay dry-eyed for a 19 yr old on a French horn and Mozart's Horn Concerto No. 4 ?

Of course, I always cry. It doesn't matter if it is a total stranger's 8 year old playing The Mexican Clapping Song on her teeny violin. I still cry. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

It was, Jean. I cried. Does one stay dry-eyed for a 19 yr old on a French horn and Mozart's Horn Concerto No. 4 ?

Of course, I always cry. It doesn't matter if it is a total stranger's 8 year old playing The Mexican Clapping Song on her teeny violin. I still cry. ;)

That's one of my all time favorites and yes, I too would cry. I almost cried listening to the 1812 Overture on Pandora.

That's one of my all time favorites and yes, I too would cry. I almost cried listening to the 1812 Overture on Pandora.

:D I can't get through my Pandora selections without a cleansing weep. lol

Heck, who am I kidding? I am the worst Tiger Mom on the face of the earth. I can't even make dinner without tissue in my pocket when youngest son *practices* paino.

"That was lovely, sweetie."

"Mom, that was awful! Are you not hearing what I am playing!?!"

:lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Of course you were at a symphony which is something that parents who expect more from their children or hope for better for their children will be involved with anyway. These are also families to which hard work is a natural part of life - practicing for hours a day and keeping grades up. You know what I mean?

I tend to agree with this.

My 12 y.o. has been involved in two different orchestra's in two different counties (one much wealthier than the other) where the majority of the children have been public schooled.

Those kids are serious about their music and so are their parents :).

They are already establishing a work ethic which would make anyone proud.

I don't know...maybe it's their love for beautiful music that makes them different and not where they are schooled?

Just like certain sports like football are magnets for high schools, the arts too can be magnets for schools. Often they have very good teachers and sponsors in the arts. I think that's great. I just wish that it was that same for academic subjects. (Not to say that there are never good teachers in the academic subjects but they are not money makers and showpieces for the school and don't get the same attention.)

My dc are involved in a lot of activities with public schooled children. We are also the only hs'ers in our church. I see a lot of bright, lovely, funny, polite dc.

Honestly, I don't think it is because of where they are or aren't schooled. I think it is the family from which they come. And there are good public school families and cruddy homeschool families. And vice versa. I think public schoolers focus on the "odd" hs families and hs families focus on the "bad" public school stories.

My kids are part of some amazing orchestras, ensembles, and Suzuki group classes full of wonderful kids. Yes, there is hope for the world! :)

:iagree: And plenty of it. :001_smile: This is not rare for me, either. I could share something good weekly/daily, but then it would just be me talking to SpyCar, which would be obnoxious and O-T. lol ;)

I was at a high school art show the other day and the talent, if often raw (although much was quite sophisticated), was off the charts. The students were very chatty about their work, and it was amazing work! Fabric arts, photography, painting, sculpture...just a terriffic amount of raw talent and passion that I found touching and exciting. I don't doubt that some of those kids might not be able to diagram sentences as well as they could (and maybe some not at all, although I do not forgive poor schools. I do sometimes wonder how the students in the same program, with the same teachers, can come out with a very different set of skills. Why do some, with equally caring parents, seem oblivious to certain information?), but I also see that interests and passions are very important and that people are diverse in their interests. Everyone has something to offer the world if given a chance. Everyone has something to share if they have a sense of their own strengths and passions.

Edited by LibraryLover

There really are many wonderful kids in public school. There are just too many negative distractions to keep some kids on track. My oldest went to PS his whole life and is an Eagle Scout, AP Scholar and National Honor Society member. He was in band and cross country. He graduated with both an honor and merit diploma and went to one of the best private colleges in the country where he is excelling with a double major and president of his major's professional organization. Right now he is in Germany taking classes in German (He's fluent from his high school classes!) and traveling in Europe. He's done two service projects in Central America. He chose to take advantage of all that was offered to him and is doing well. However, now he regularly chides me about why I didn't homeschool him so he didn't have to waste so much time.:glare: He had several friends who have done very well also.

Honestly, I don't think it is because of where they are or aren't schooled. I think it is the family from which they come. And there are good public school families and cruddy homeschool families. And vice versa. I think public schoolers focus on the "odd" hs families and hs families focus on the "bad" public school stories.

:iagree:

As someone who afterschools, I'd say many of the kids in the high schools my children have attended are decent individuals, even those not involved in music. Yes, a few are not, but it's not everyone.

As someone who afterschools, I'd say many of the kids in the high schools my children have attended are decent individuals, even those not involved in music. Yes, a few are not, but it's not everyone.

Almost like people everywhere, including homeschooled kids: most are fine, decent people, but some aren't. ;)

I think that's fantastic to hear. But I also think that perhaps a recital would not be representative of your "typical" student, homeschool or other? It is my considered option that students of music might be more ... thoughtful? ... than your average child. This is based, I guess on a comparison of the handful of homeschoolers I know who are very focused on music versus the average. They're a particularly lovely bunch ;-)

I would go a little beyond this and say that I've been very impressed with kids who are truly devoted to some kind of activity that requires focus and is practiced in groups. My kids are theatre geeks, and I'm consistenly pleasantly surprised at how poised and articulate and comfortable with adults those kids tend to be.

I know what *you* mean, but most folks here don't expereince these sorts of kids. They are not involved with groups of public school children, and therefore don't realize so many of these amazing children exist. I've never read anything here from hsers about attending such an event. I know many people here cannot afford to go to the symphony, not even a $10 one.

Ummm, we go to these kinds of events all the time.

My son has friends through our chuch and through various other groups who perform with youth symphonies and jazz bands and such. Many of these kids attend public schools (although I will say that most of them also homeschooled at some point), and we are enthusiastic audience members for lots of their performances.

My son also sings with a choir that draws from public and private schools.

It's not like all homeschoolers live in a bubble and are busy scorning public schools and their students.

I am very impressed with the quality of the extracurriculars at our ps. We have award winning music programs, outstanding athletic programs, a nationally ranked dance team, great speech and drama programs. When I attend these activities I am always amazed at the talent among these kids.

If the school had the same priorities for academics as they do for extracurriculars, these kids would be receiving a fantastic education. Unfortunately, it doesn't and they aren't.

At least here, these artists and musicians also tend to be the ones doing well on the SAT and just generally. I don't doubt some might struggle a bit in college at first, and some will have gaps. But it's certainly not they who will leading the he'll in a handbag brigade.

Even for those who might struggle academically, or who attended schools with excellent music programs but mediocre English ones may come out of these extras with strengths that will help them in their next life phase. It is very unusual for schools to find arts but not academics. Communities tend to cut music and art first.

I am very impressed with the quality of the extracurriculars at our ps. We have award winning music programs, outstanding athletic programs, a nationally ranked dance team, great speech and drama programs. When I attend these activities I am always amazed at the talent among these kids.

If the school had the same priorities for academics as they do for extracurriculars, these kids would be receiving a fantastic education. Unfortunately, it doesn't and they aren't.

Edited by LibraryLover

This performance was in a very economically depressed city. It continues by the grace of the parents and thoughtful donations.

Really? You've *never* read *anything* here about someone attending "such an event"? You honestly think that most of the people here are living in such bubbles that they *never* attend a cultural event? Ever? Or just one with mostly public schooled kids?

Obviously, there are a lot of wonderful public schooled kids. There are some not-so-wonderful homeschooled ones.

I believe that most of the venom you see here is NOT directed at public schooled KIDS. It's directed at the SYSTEM. I strongly agree with a PP who said something about it's a shame that such wonderful kids are being denied the chance at a great education. Not getting a great education does not keep one from being bright, articulate, polite, etc. (I would say receiving a great education......but hey, I was public schooled- so I'm not very articulate!) (LOL- that was a joke!)