Menu

Going somewhere in the morning?

We would leave around 9:30 and get back around 11:15. 4 days per week. I am actually thinking this will help us get on schedule, instead of sleeping late, eating, and laying around the house to start school at around 12 or 1 anyway, with nothing done before then... What do you think?

We start school at a later time, always have. However, if we have anything to do in the morning it messes with our schedule. We had one morning activity last year. We would rush to get out of the house, by the time we got back we couldn't even focus to do school. It was simply too much distraction for us. Thankfully it was only once a month, so we turned it into a go out to lunch and then hang out together day.

I think it would depend upon your dynamics. If you and your dc can get out of the house easily and refocus once your home, it could be good. For us it was an invitation for chaos. I don't do morning activities now, unless we can plan on taking the rest of the day off.

We have to leave the house 1 day a week at 8:50 and I hate it. No matter how much I plan ahead, we always are rushing out the door. I feel tired all day long. 4 days a week would put me over the edge:tongue_smilie:, but I am a homebody I guess!

I think I would just plan for a 11:30 or 12:00 start time- and enforce it.

This year my 3rd grade dd took a daily public school class which had her out of the house 8:30 - 10:00. When she returned home, she had a snack and started her schoolwork by 10:30. She was usually done by early afternoon. My dh took her to the school, and she took a bus home so I wasn't doing any driving.

Pros

*Our schedule was definitely easier to keep.

*Her public school class was rarely skipped.

Cons

*I felt like she didn't have enough free time, and we seemed to often scramble to make afternoon activities on time. We couldn't enjoyy tangents or add fun extras because our mornings were scheduled and we often had other things that I wanted/needed to get done in the afternoon....housework, lawn mowing, errands, etc. Also, everyone needs downtime and lazing around time, so that does need to fit into the schedule somewhere.

*I didn't always appreciate being tied to someone else's morning schedule.

Next year we are increasing after school activities and decreasing during school activities. I didn't like being pressed by others' morning and afternnon schedules this year. I prefer to only be pressed on one side of the day.

We would leave around 9:30 and get back around 11:15. 4 days per week. I am actually thinking this will help us get on schedule, instead of sleeping late, eating, and laying around the house to start school at around 12 or 1 anyway, with nothing done before then... What do you think?

IME, an external motivator doesn't motivate me. If *I* had trouble getting school done in the morning, having to leave the house at 9:30 would stress me out.

Like a pp, if we're out for the morning, we get nothing done in the afternoon.

Try leaving at 9:30 and coming home at 11 for a week to see how it makes you feel. Are you energized, rested and motivated to get school done in the afternoon?

Then try getting up early and doing school in the mornings for a week and see how that makes you feel.

Which one is less stressful? In which week do you accomplish more learning? Which week do the dc respond to better?

For a while, my son's previous taekwondo school offered homeschool classes during the day, 5 days a week. We got up, got dressed, and were out of the house every morning about a quarter to 10. During his class time, the rest of us ran errands including our grocery shopping every week. We got home, ate lunch, and started school. It was the best schedule we ever had.

We got more done then I ever did before or since. I had to be up, dressed, and moving every morning. I had a set time for getting grocery shopping and errands done so they always got done regularly. We were ready to do school after lunch, and we got it done without issues. It was awesome.

For a while, my son's previous taekwondo school offered homeschool classes during the day, 5 days a week. We got up, got dressed, and were out of the house every morning about a quarter to 10. During his class time, the rest of us ran errands including our grocery shopping every week. We got home, ate lunch, and started school. It was the best schedule we ever had.

We got more done then I ever did before or since. I had to be up, dressed, and moving every morning. I had a set time for getting grocery shopping and errands done so they always got done regularly. We were ready to do school after lunch, and we got it done without issues. It was awesome.

This is the plan.

I can definitely try it temporarily like Aggie said.

It helps us to go and do school at the library. So far we only go one day a week but I could see it working more.

I thought about asking the drop-off daycare place if we can do school there while the 4 year old plays. I have tried the library, but it didn't work. He wants me to play with him and DD wouldn't cooperate. It was later in the day though, she might cooperate if it was morning.

I thought about asking the drop-off daycare place if we can do school there while the 4 year old plays. I have tried the library, but it didn't work. He wants me to play with him and DD wouldn't cooperate. It was later in the day though, she might cooperate if it was morning.

Doing exercise first thing might help then, because it might meet that need for both of them to move their bodies.

We have a homeschool meeting most Tuesday mornings. We get home around 12:30 (unless the meeting is in our house:D) and have a quick lunch, starting school at 1:15. We can usually manage to get all our schoolwork done by 5 or 5:30. I don't know if it would wear us out to do that 4 days a week, but if you're not starting until 1pm, it couldn't hurt to try it.

We start school at a later time, always have. However, if we have anything to do in the morning it messes with our schedule. We had one morning activity last year. We would rush to get out of the house, by the time we got back we couldn't even focus to do school. It was simply too much distraction for us. Thankfully it was only once a month, so we turned it into a go out to lunch and then hang out together day.

I think it would depend upon your dynamics. If you and your dc can get out of the house easily and refocus once your home, it could be good. For us it was an invitation for chaos. I don't do morning activities now, unless we can plan on taking the rest of the day off.

:iagree: