Menu

*deep breath* Tell me it's worth it...

When DS told me he wanted to help with the dishes, I was DELIGHTED! "Yes," I thought to myself, "I'll teach the boy to rinse & dry the dishes. Won't it be nice if I'm not the only one in the house capable of cleaning something?"

Fast forward 45 minutes. Every single one of my dishes is clean. My counter & floor (at least in front of the sink) are sparkling (because I had to mop up the soapy water he had sloshed around while doing them), and the boy is now sitting at the other computer, doing Starfall while I finish cleaning the kitchen. Normally, it takes 45 minutes TOTAL to clean the kitchen.

Please reassure me that I'm teaching him a valuable skill. I'm not letting him grow up without learning basic housekeeping skills, simply because it's easier to do it myself. Tell me that the perfectionist attitude MUST step aside or I will become my control freak mother-in-law when it comes to cleaning. (DH had never so much as swept a floor--carpet or otherwise-- until he moved in with me.)

*deep even breathing*

~Kristina (Who IS thankful my son is interested in learning life skills... Really!)

A two year old with a broom is a two year old with a broom....but a 12 year old with a broom is a blessing. ;)

When DS told me he wanted to help with the dishes, I was DELIGHTED! "Yes," I thought to myself, "I'll teach the boy to rinse & dry the dishes. Won't it be nice if I'm not the only one in the house capable of cleaning something?"

Fast forward 45 minutes. Every single one of my dishes is clean. My counter & floor (at least in front of the sink) are sparkling (because I had to mop up the soapy water he had sloshed around while doing them), and the boy is now sitting at the other computer, doing Starfall while I finish cleaning the kitchen. Normally, it takes 45 minutes TOTAL to clean the kitchen.

Please reassure me that I'm teaching him a valuable skill. I'm not letting him grow up without learning basic housekeeping skills, simply because it's easier to do it myself. Tell me that the perfectionist attitude MUST step aside or I will become my control freak mother-in-law when it comes to cleaning. (DH had never so much as swept a floor--carpet or otherwise-- until he moved in with me.)

*deep even breathing*

~Kristina (Who IS thankful my son is interested in learning life skills... Really!)

Aww, you're doing great.

My DS loves to do the dishes. And, he thinks he's doing me such a huge favor when he does then. He doesn't realize that it takes me probably twice as long to clean up the kitchen when he's done as it would have for me to just wash the dishes myself. It's really hard for me, but when he offers, I just nod and thank him for being so kind and helpful, and then prepare myself for the clean-up.

*deep even breathing*

Hmm, I would not have cleaned up after his fun. I would have hauled out the mop and continued the teaching, "Mopping 101." In my experience if I don't teach them how to clean up after the fun they make more fun messes and then it takes longer to teach them to work carefully.

Fast forward 45 minutes. Every single one of my dishes is clean. My counter & floor (at least in front of the sink) are sparkling (because I had to mop up the soapy water he had sloshed around while doing them)

Just a note...Next time leave the mopping to him as well. He'll learn why it's important to take care AND he'll gain yet another useful skill! :D

Hmm, I would not have cleaned up after his fun. I would have hauled out the mop and continued the teaching, "Mopping 101." In my experience if I don't teach them how to clean up after the fun they make more fun messes and then it takes longer to teach them to work carefully.

Just a note...Next time leave the mopping to him as well. He'll learn why it's important to take care AND he'll gain yet another useful skill! :D

Thank you, thank you! Great advice.

Yes, it is totally worth it. I have trained my kids to do all their laundry, fold the towels, and unload the dishwasher. They also vacuum and dust. And they do it well. I am a big believer in everyone working together to get the job done and to keep our house neat and clean. We all live here.

Well, the 8 and 7 year old do it well, the 4 yo is still being trained. Yes, there is a learning curve and it takes time to teach them. It is time well worth it, imo.

I would have had him help clean up the aftereffects though. Not a big deal that it didn't happen this time, I am sure there will be another time! lol

Plus, why expect it to take "only" the amount of time it takes us as adults to normally do the dishes anyway? What about teaching time? What about demonstration? What about practice?

Just something to keep in mind when he's learning to drive. You won't get to the grocery store in the usual amount of time, at first, and you really shouldn't want to!

As frustrating as it can be sometimes for me to let DD4 vacuum, mop, fold laundry/towels, help w/dinner, etc..I let her do it in the hopes that maybe it will start a habit and she'll keep helping around the house willingly. That maybe, when she's older, those won't be battles that get fought (or at least maybe make them only little battles).

Oh, yes you certainly are. I can attest to that as the daughter-in-law of the now grown boy who was never taught to clean or cook ANYTHING!

Yes!!!

My mother-in-law has actually apologized to me for my DH's lack of cleaning ability. I have literally had to teach him how to do everything (except clean dishes, he actually had that one figured out). We started dating in high school and once he had his first apartment in college, I had to clean his bathroom, wash his clothes and sheets, vacuum, etc. when I was over there because he just didn't know what to do. It was a nightmare! For years I had to be wife and mother and it was a real strain on our relationship and I resented my MIL for not doing what I felt was totally her job.

On the plus side, even though DH didn't know how to cook anything beyond mac & cheese when we got married, he is a natural cook. =)