Menu

So here was todays attempt at nature study....

Homemama2

We got down to the pond at our county park and guess what all the toads were up to? :lol: Uhh.....yup. You guessed it!

So, here is how the conversation went....

(every foot and a half) "Watch out! You're going to step on a toad!"

boy: "Mom, why are all the toads singing?"

me: "They're happy it's spring"

boy: "Oh LOOK! A DOUBLE toad!

Me and hubby: "DON'T PICK UP THE DOUBLE TOADS!!!!!!!!!!"

boy: "Oh, wait....it's TWO toads. What are they doing?"

me: "Oh....well......."

boy: "I think they're giving piggyback rides!"

Me: "Ummm.......not exactly...."

older boy: "No. I know what they're doing!"

(Sweat is beginning to break out on dad's face)

older boy: "They're helping each other swim. Look how fast they swim when they help each other!"

Me: "yeah. They're really helpful like that." :001_huh:

:lol: Maybe next time instead of doing nature study we should have an anatomy lesson. Yikes! :D

(And in case you can't tell.....NO we haven't had THAT talk yet!)

:lol::lol::lol:

"Double toads!" That's awesome!

Schmooey's friend at preschool had toads today and they let us have one. His name is Henry. :D I don't think Henry appreciates human company much, after spending the morning in the company of many 3- and 4-year-olds who liked him VERY much. However, he's happily munching the crickets I have for him and hopefully he will warm up to us a little bit.

We had a gazillion tadpoles that were supposed to be bullfrogs, which turned out to be spring peepers, and turned into froglets while we were gone for 4 days. Our pet sitters kept faithfully dumping food in for them so their tank was disgusting when we got home. They started dying off so we had to turn them loose. Abbie was very sad and I told her we'd consider getting a pet frog. How fortuitous that Henry showed up to entertain us while I feel out dh's opinions on pet frogs!

We're supposed to be studying amphibians just now so this is good. Right? :D

And in case you can't tell.....NO we haven't had THAT talk yet!

Yes, a basic reproductive physiology course will be in your immediate future.

I wouldn't be too uptight about it..ds7 boys at our house already know what the chickens are up to in the poultry yard.

This happened to us once too! We saw all the toads mating at a local park. When the kids asked about it, I just said they are mating that's how they make babies. The kids said: Cool! And that was that! They were too little to think about it any further.

I love the double toads!!!

Once when we were out and about for nature study, my boys saw two animals. I can't recall what type of animal. My younger son says, "What are they doing?" My oldest, who was about 6yrs at the time, said, "They are either mating or fighting. Sometimes it's really hard to tell." :lol:

I love it! Double toads :) Once when my kids were little we saw something similar but my girls decided they needed to explain the facts of life to my 3 and 5 year old boys. People all around started giggling or trying not to laugh. Oh the things to remember.

We had a similar experience at the zoo once. We were walking down a path, and heard a LOUD moaning/grunting sound. Bug, who was maybe 5 years old asked what that sound was, and dh said,"I don't know; it sounds like someone might be hurt." then we rounded the corner to see the tortoises going at it. Slowly, but loudly.

The male was moaning! Who knew? :lol:

We had a similar experience at the zoo once. We were walking down a path, and heard a LOUD moaning/grunting sound. Bug, who was maybe 5 years old asked what that sound was, and dh said,"I don't know; it sounds like someone might be hurt." then we rounded the corner to see the tortoises going at it. Slowly, but loudly.

The male was moaning! Who knew? :lol:

That happened to us, too!!

They are *really* loud, those tortoises!

This happened to us once too! We saw all the toads mating at a local park. When the kids asked about it, I just said they are mating that's how they make babies. The kids said: Cool! And that was that! They were too little to think about it any further.

yup...this is what we did after the above conversation ended.

.ds7 boys at our house already know what the chickens are up to in the poultry yard.

:iagree: Chickens definitely have a way of introducing this subject.

Now, at my house, we keep it real by having babies about every two years. Keeps the topic fresh. :tongue_smilie:

Almost a perfect way to introduce the subject. Toads practice external fertilization! Kind of like amphibian safe s@x.

I bring my kids and all the others children I can round up every year to watch the toads mate and lay eggs in our local pond. This is one of the most exciting nature events around. One mother said, "This is better than Animal Planet!" The toads sure aren't shy! They have beautiful voices. And you can go back every few days to watch the development of the eggs and tadpoles. TOADS ROCK!