Menu

This Present Darkness & Piercing The Darkness

Has anyone read these two Frank Peretti novels? If so, what's the youngest age it would be appropriate for? I read them 20 years ago. Someone gave them to my 12 yo son. I don't remember any details - it's been so long - but I feel uncomfortable with him reading them. I would think they're appropriate for maybe 16 and older. If I recall, they seem too intense. I did go and read the description on christianbook.com and it seems much of it would be over his head (philosophically) as well. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Imo, those are scarier than Stephen King novels. You KNOW King is fiction. Those books, from a Christian stand point, are way scarier, because you don't know how much is straight up fiction (are there really demons that follow us around trying to kill us?!?!?!?!?!).

So, if you wouldn't okay King, or say Koontz, because they're too graphic/scary, I would definitely not okay those two books.

So, if you wouldn't okay King, or say Koontz, because they're too graphic/scary, I would definitely not okay those two books.
King and Koontz books won't ever be in this house but my dc are welcome to read Peretti's books. I think my dds were 11 and 12yo when they read them. We discussed the concept of demons and the spiritual world and I made sure they knew that this was not "gospel" truth. The books had a huge impact on them and I'm very glad they read them.

I really think it depends on what type of child he is. I read them when I was around that age and it freaked the heck out of me. I honestly don't think I could read them even today. If he has an active imagination and would have a hard time reading about demons and angels fighting, I would take a pass on them for now.

But, I am super sensitive to that sort of thing. I watched a movie about the end times when I was in elementary school and it took me until I was in my 20s before I would read Revelations without freaking out. In the movie, if you didn't get the "mark of the beast" you got beheaded with a guillotine. I don't claim to know the whole pre-trib, post-trib, mid-trib answer, but I do fervently pray that movie never comes true.

King and Koontz books won't ever be in this house but my dc are welcome to read Peretti's books. I think my dds were 11 and 12yo when they read them. We discussed the concept of demons and the spiritual world and I made sure they knew that this was not "gospel" truth. The books had a huge impact on them and I'm very glad they read them.

:iagree: Exactly- this is true for us to. I am looking forward to a great discussion with dd after she reads them!

I am a huge reader and was as a kid as well. I read them when I was 15 and they scared me for a long time. I felt the need to sleep with the light on for awhile. They did not teach me about spiritual warfare, instead they helped put a spirit of fear into me. I did a Bible study when I was older that I thought was very helpful in regards to spiritual warfare and found that the books were more fiction than truth.

I would caution these books until much older.

I'm not sure I would recommend these books at all. I read them in college 20 yrs ago. I think it was good for me & my friends at that time because we were just waking up to the idea of spiritual warfare and it was good for us to think about. However, I think overall Peretti's approach is not mature enough or well-grounded enough to expose my kids to, nowadays. I would say college-age, if at all.

Wow, what a blast from the past! I read this when I was 12, and really enjoyed them. I made little lists of the different angels. :) I don't remember anything scary in them whatsoever though. I was raised to believe in spiritual warfare as completely normal though, so I'm wondering if this had anything to do with it? I was raised to believe that yes, Satan tries to attack us, but God is always more powerful than him, and if you choose the power of God, Satan can never beat you. Like I said, it has been almost 20 years since I read them, but I wonder if theological background plays in important part in how a person feels about these books. I can't say what I would think of them now, of course. I think it is possible that my young, childlike faith was WHY this book didn't scare me. I just never doubted back then. :(

I would start with his books specifically written for older children, which are exciting but not as intense, and see how you do with those. Then decide.

Of his adult books, the two you mentioned are the ones that I thought were the most well-written and least controversial. They are the only ones that I would give to a teenager, and I'd start, again, with the middle school books he wrote, which are very good.

Frankly, since these books, in my opinion, take things that are addressed in the Bible and *sensationalize* and *fictionalize* them beyond recognition, I'd rather my kids read Harry Potter or other things that are not even attempted to be presented as *based on fact*.

If you want your kids to be aware of spiritual warfare, read it straight from the Bible. Don't forget Mike Warnke and all his stories that turned out to be lies.

Honestly, what is the difference between these books and Stephen King's "Storm of the Century"? I really don't see any...except for maybe the language.

Just my opinion.

Frankly, since these books, in my opinion, take things that are addressed in the Bible and *sensationalize* and *fictionalize* them beyond recognition, I'd rather my kids read Harry Potter or other things that are not even attempted to be presented as *based on fact*.

If you want your kids to be aware of spiritual warfare, read it straight from the Bible. Don't forget Mike Warnke and all his stories that turned out to be lies.

Honestly, what is the difference between these books and Stephen King's "Storm of the Century"? I really don't see any...except for maybe the language.

Just my opinion.

Good point.

Yet, although I didn't believe them completely, these books did move me to much more prayer, and that was a good thing. It was not out of fear of spiritual warfare, but rather just 'oh yeah, I have this privilege that I'm not exercising, and I should. And, it HAS an effect, God does promise to answer (though not always in the affirmative).' Plus they are well-written and exciting and clean.

I guess I read so much, and read so many books that I disagree with that these don't seem SO bad. I would still be a little more careful about giving them to someone that young, though, and as I said before, I would start with the middle school books he wrote and decide after those.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I'm not sure I would recommend these books at all. I read them in college 20 yrs ago. I think it was good for me & my friends at that time because we were just waking up to the idea of spiritual warfare and it was good for us to think about. However, I think overall Peretti's approach is not mature enough or well-grounded enough to expose my kids to, nowadays. I would say college-age, if at all.

I read an interview with him a couple of years ago in which he seemed to express some regret about those books. I don't know a lot about it though.

I read them in grad school for a project on YA Christian fiction. I can see the attraction but I didn't approve of them theologically.