Menu

If you have to keep attendance, what do you use?

I use the form that North Carolina has online. It's one page and I just have to check off the days. I don't think NC requires use of the form, though they prefer it. It's very easy and doesn't require me to drag out my big planner if I ever have to provide proof of attendance.

I have a sheet of paper in a thin 3 ring on my desk. It has 31 little boxes across, and 25 little boxes down. On the wide left hand column I write math, reading, spelling, grammar, art appre, art projects, PE, HW, etc. etc. and I just make a check on the little things (our 5 minutes of memory work, or handwriting) and I write times in for history and science. This allows me to see quickly what we are lagging on. Any day where nothing is filled in, we weren't in class.

I have a sheet of paper in a thin 3 ring on my desk. It has 31 little boxes across, and 25 little boxes down. On the wide left hand column I write math, reading, spelling, grammar, art appre, art projects, PE, HW, etc. etc. and I just make a check on the little things (our 5 minutes of memory work, or handwriting) and I write times in for history and science. This allows me to see quickly what we are lagging on. Any day where nothing is filled in, we weren't in class.

That's a great idea!

I think DonnaYoung.org has an attendance sheet you can print off, doesn't she?

I have to keep attendance, but I use HST+, so it does it for me. When I mark an assignment as complete, we are marked as "present" for that day. In January and June, I'll just run an attendance report for that time period and e-mail it to my cover school. It basically lists the month down the left side, then the days present along the row, IIRC (I haven't had to use it yet - first time will be in June!).

I use the form that North Carolina has online. It's one page and I just have to check off the days. I don't think NC requires use of the form, though they prefer it. It's very easy and doesn't require me to drag out my big planner if I ever have to provide proof of attendance.

Since the law doesn't require hsers to actually turn in those attendance records, it's sort of a waste of time to do it, KWIM?

I keep my records in an excel spreadsheet on the computer.

A line for each day, two columns for each subject( time spent and topic).

(Set up to add times for subject and for day)

Any line that has entries means we did school.

A line with no entries means, we did not do school.

I use the blue calendar from Donna Young:

http://donnayoung.org/calendars/calendars-blue.htm

I have one I use for planning the year and one where I record the days we actually had school. I fill it in at the end of each week (entering the next consecutive number for each day of school or an "X" if we didn't have school). It is very easy to tell at a glance how many days of school we've had. I keep track of our work on a separate table I made. I cross through the column for the day on that table if we don't have school, so it is very easy to tell which days we've had school.

Kathy

Here in PA, for the elementary school level, we're supposed to track hours OR days.

I don't bother actually "counting" either because I KNOW we way more than surpass them, considering I feel like my children learn something or participate in something I can consider educational pretty much every single day.

So what I do is submit a statement that says something like:

We believe that life and learning are inextricable and, as such, I attest that we have more than met the required 180 days or 900 hours of instruction requirement.

I use one of the many calendars I get free. I x off days each week or 2. At the end of the year I find a calendar template in xcel and shade every day we schooled to submit to the district. Many provide less information, but I prefer to show it this way. Brownie