Menu

Is a choke collar inhumane for a smaller dog?

I know that some owners of larger dogs use these to train their dogs to heel (and ONLY during training sessions...I know that much!) but I wondered if for a feisty terrier it might be useful for training him to heel?

Ideas/thoughts appreciated.

I know that some owners of larger dogs use these to train their dogs to heel (and ONLY during training sessions...I know that much!) but I wondered if for a feisty terrier it might be useful for training him to heel?

Ideas/thoughts appreciated.

Have you tried clicker training and a Gentle Leader first? I am one who believes that chain training collars can have their place, but I wouldn't consider it for any dog without attempting the above methods first. Even then, there are other things to consider.

I hate choke collars. And they can cause serious trachea problems, especially on little dogs with tiny necks. If it is absolutely necessary, have you considered a pinch collar? But even before that, I would suggest trying something like the Gentle Leader (if you google it, you will see pictures of how the band goes over the nose) - it worked perfectly for my one-track-mind, sniffin' hound/lab mix.

I second the vote for a pinch collar if the Gentle Leader doesn't work. People look at the pinch collar and think it looks somewhat barbaric, but it's really a much better option than a choke collar.

Anne

I can ask our dog trainer if you want me to.

He advises using a choke collar for training, but we have a golden retriever so no idea what he advises the owners of small dogs (he is currently training a pug or three, and who knows what all else).

I will say he is VERY particular about what type of choke collar -- smallest individual chain links as possible, positioned high up just under the dogs chin and NOT down low at her neck, and where the pull on the chain comes up so it causes mild discomfort but NOT anything that could actually hurt her. He checks position of the chain at the start of every walk and many times throughout the walk as well.

(well, lately she's progressed to walking w/o the leash, with it thrown over her back but still...)

Anyway, if you want, he doesn't come again till Thursday, but I can ask if he still uses these with small dogs. Or if not, the above tips should help you get the right size/type for a small dog.

We did use a gentle leader type in the US with our other dog and loved that thing. I've not found them here though.

Have you tried clicker training and a Gentle Leader first? I am one who believes that chain training collars can have their place, but I wouldn't consider it for any dog without attempting the above methods first. Even then, there are other things to consider.

Yes, we've used clicker training and it's been good at teaching him to come, and sit, and go in his crate. But heeling? That's harder. He's so friendly, he wants to greet every single human and every single dog that comes his way. I don't exactly want him to think it's not nice to be friendly LOL but I'd rather he not freak out with joy with every human, child and animal! :tongue_smilie:

I can ask our dog trainer if you want me to.

He advises using a choke collar for training, but we have a golden retriever so no idea what he advises the owners of small dogs (he is currently training a pug or three, and who knows what all else).

I will say he is VERY particular about what type of choke collar -- smallest individual chain links as possible, positioned high up just under the dogs chin and NOT down low at her neck, and where the pull on the chain comes up so it causes mild discomfort but NOT anything that could actually hurt her. He checks position of the chain at the start of every walk and many times throughout the walk as well.

(well, lately she's progressed to walking w/o the leash, with it thrown over her back but still...)

Anyway, if you want, he doesn't come again till Thursday, but I can ask if he still uses these with small dogs. Or if not, the above tips should help you get the right size/type for a small dog.

We did use a gentle leader type in the US with our other dog and loved that thing. I've not found them here though.

I've never heard of Gentle Leader. I am going to google (thanks for all the others who suggested this)

ETA: THank you. this looks like a wonderful idea. I am trying to figure out sizes for my dog-he's a 9 lb dog, with a head like a Jack Russel--so small. I am going to visit Petco tomorrow to see if they carry them.

Edited by Halcyon

Yes, we've used clicker training and it's been good at teaching him to come, and sit, and go in his crate. But heeling? That's harder. He's so friendly, he wants to greet every single human and every single dog that comes his way. I don't exactly want him to think it's not nice to be friendly LOL but I'd rather he not freak out with joy with every human, child and animal! :tongue_smilie:

Sounds like the Gentle Leader would be perfect for him. They do have them at Petco.

Something our trainer has us do for unwanted behavior (ie, our golden who wants to, as he puts it, "make a party with everyone") is to fix up a little can with a few coins in it. One quick, firm shake next to the dog's ear when the dog jumps up or freaks out at everyone, coupled with a corrective action (put the dog into a sit, a little tug on the collar, etc.) works wonders.

Also, he has us NEVER give attention to our dog UNTIL she is in a calm sit. (other than the shaking the can and a firm no). It's working, so perhaps work on that alongside the heel command. He has us literally ignore her -- stand, face turned away, arms crossed and just "the dog does not exist" until she calms down/sits down in front of us. Then and only then we can pet her.

She now greets us at the door by sitting, calmly, waiting on us. No jumping, etc. and I can even take her to the door now, no leash, when someone comes over and she will sit and whine some at wanting to greet them, but not misbehave.

Best of luck!