Menu

What is your favorite CD for Bible verse memorization?

I know many people use Hide Em in Your Heart or Sing the Word, but I've never seen either.

I'm hoping for something easy on the ears - not too "cheesy"/babyish or grating.

I'm open to different Bible translations, though I especially love doing the KJV or NKJV when memorizing verses simply for the poetry aspect of the language. (When I read, I use NIV or NLT all the way.)

This year we've memorized verses doing the Bible Verses A to Z book, and I'm hoping for something to make it a little easier or give us something constructive to do in the car. :)

Thank you!

Currently our family's favorite is Ruth Holleran's "To This Generation". Her voice is clear, and the music is a simple guitar accompaniment.

http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=45

Not exactly Bible, but related - Doorposts also carries Judy Roger's "Why Can't I See God", which teaches the children's catechism.

http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=49

Timberdoodle has a link to samples from Sing the Word. Personally I find Ruth Holleran's singing clearer (adult vs. children singing), but they do have some nice songs.

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Sing_The_Word_7_CD_Collection_p/840-898.htm

They are hard to find! They have a story, kinda Adventures in Odessey style, and the memory songs are all throughout. They use a variety of musical styles and voices, sometimes the kids sing, sometime adults, or guest characters. My kids love them. I grew up with them and still sing the songs myself.

http://www.gthalo.com/

All the songs are bible verses!

We love the Seeds cds - they rock.

Other great resources we've used:

Thy Word Creations - whole chapters with kids talking and music in the background. They come with a book, cd and a few other songs. Mostly KJV, some NKJV.

Fighter Verses - Adults talking - no music. Can get in a few different translations. The LEGACY set has the cd. I bought the set with the little binder with all the verses printed out. It's great. We currently do these in the car - repeating 3 times each time we get into the car. Takes less than a minute.

I'm really interested in hearing more about any NIV resources. I have always been a big KJV fan (for educational, not theological reasons), but I have recently switched to the NIV to act as my mentor text for writing instruction and copywork so therefore will now be using it for any memory work. I find the KJV to be an excellent reading book, to prepare for the other Great Books, but I'm focusing on attacking my poor writing skills right now.

I want to apply some of the KISS grammar lessons to some memorized scripture. I have some post trauma memory loss issues that make memory work very difficult for me, so if I'm going to even bother to try to memorize scripture, I'm going to have to make a big commitment to it and use as many methods as possible. Music will be important, I think.

• 1 month later...

My ds5 has been listening to Hide Em In Your Heart as part of HOD-LHFHG and he really likes it. Each song is preceded by a brief introduction and a child's recitation of the verse. The tunes themselves are short and catchy. Since it worked well, I bought vol.2 to do later on as well.

I haven't heard the others, so I can't comment on those. Hope this helps.

http://www.joyfulnoisescripture.org/

They are kind of 'homey', but we bought a CD of all their KJV songs on mp3 for like $45 or so? It was a great price, they have quite a few chapter length songs, longer passages, and lots and lots of short verses too :).

One of my DC loves 'homey' (good word choice!:001_smile:) like that. Shame they don't seem to be available as downloads though.

And to the OP, we're rather reserved in our choice of music :tongue_smilie: and to that end, we've learnt bible verses with Steve Green's CDs, here's a link to the first vol with samples

& the other CD's we've used are the Harrow Family's Sing the Word series, here's a listening link to their site. We just skipped the songs we didn't want to learn :)

Edited by tuesdayschild
wrong link

I love Seeds! I've never heard of them until today. I think my soon to be dd10 would love it! She's starting to want to listen to "big girl" music. I think this will fit the bill perfectly! Could those of you who own the CD's please tell me your favorite ones, so I can look at those specifically?

thanks so much to everyone who recommended them!

Seeds Worship. And if I'm not mistaken and you order directly from the website they send you 2 cds for the price of one. One for you and one to pass one to a friend. Not sure if it's still good, but you can save 20% if you use the code: SCHULTZ09.

You can also purchase them through CBD.com and download them that way if you live overseas and don't wanna pay shipping and your local shop doesn't have them. That's the route we took even though ordering them directly would have been fun and probably cheaper, but you do what you do. :D

I love Seeds! I've never heard of them until today. I think my soon to be dd10 would love it! She's starting to want to listen to "big girl" music. I think this will fit the bill perfectly! Could those of you who own the CD's please tell me your favorite ones, so I can look at those specifically?

thanks so much to everyone who recommended them!

We probably listen to Praise and Courage the most, but love them all. We don't have the new Character one yet. You can listen online to see which you prefer.

Jennifer, thank you for all the KJV links. I tried switching over to the NIV so that I could learn modern grammar along with my Students of the Word Key Scripture Verse grammar lessons, but...I think I need to go back to the KJV for my new memory project, for a list of reasons I'm too lazy to type out.

Now I just need to pick which ones I want. Hmmm :-0 Thankfully the chant ones are free and downloadable so I can put them on my iPod for tomorrow's train ride. The train is such a good place to listen and read through flash cards. I get motion sickness, so it's so nice to only have to quickly look at a card, when the audio isn't quite clear enough to understand.

You are welcome :). I find KJV easier to memorize because the language is 'different'. I also like it better for cultural literacy, because when you quote from the KJV most people recognize by ear that you are quoting scripture and not your own thoughts when you throw it out into conversation :). We read NIV devotionally, ESV, NIrV etc. but I memorize in KJV :). The Bluedorns do Psalms in the KJV too, do you have that link to their free download? I can look it up for you if not, I love their Psalm 2!

Edited by Jennifer Bogart
Punctuation no-no

Thanks for reminding me about the Bluedorns! I just contacted...is it Joyful Noise...about their mp3 album. Nostalgia won over trying something new. I had their audio tapes in the 90s and their CDs in the early 2000s. I couldn't see a place to pay :-0 Maybe because I'm on the iPad :-0

"Come unto me, all ye that are heavy laden" has never left my memory, even though I haven't heard it in over 5 years.

Hmm...I had never thought about that quoting KJV is almost like having quotation marks around it, when talking. Which...hehe...is funny since KJV doesn't have quotation marks :-)

I really like the Seeds Family Worship ones. They also have printable cards for the verses on their site.

http://www.seedsfamilyworship.net/

The really neat thing is that you get 2 CDs with each order, one to keep and one to giveaway.

And they have a contemporary sound to them.

:iagree:

we have all of them and we all love them. It's amazing how much scripture the kids have learned.

• 1 month later...