Menu

Where do we subtract negative numbers IRL?

I was wanting some physical examples of subtracting negative numbers, and I was sort of drawing a blank. I ended up using an example I found online of a soup pot with magic hot (+) and magic cold (-) cubes. I've seen cats and dogs, but it doesn't really EXPLAIN it, only demonstrates. It's subtracting the negatives she'd like to see happening in real life. It's sort of an oddball thing when you think about it, lol.

Yep, I usually think in terms of money when discussing negative numbers. If a store lets you run a tab until you get paid, and you take $10 worth of merchandise, you now have -$10. If the next week, you take $20 worth of merchandise, you now have -$10+(-20)=-$30. But if you work a day for the store owner, you don't have to repay the $20 so you have -$10-(-$20)= -$10+20=$-10. Is that what you're asking?

Tempratures? My DH uses a model of above sea level and below sea level when introducing negative numbers with the numbers under water, the negative ones.

This is the model we used. You could also use the timeline for BCE/CE, I suppose, but that's a bit more abstract.

My kids were kicking around the problem -100 - (-100) yesterday and they were leaning towards saying it was 200. I asked them, "What's the difference between -100 and -100?" and they said, "Zero."

So that's subtraction as a difference.

You can do something similar with temps or sea level, as described.

Here are some other ideas.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57870.html

including the idea of using it as a direction, similar to SpyCar's sports example

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57869.html