Menu

Any help for large pores/oily skin?

I'm 34. I keep thinking that my teenage skin will get better annnnny day now :glare:. Nope. I can deal with the oily part but I really hate the large pores. Has anyone found anything helpful as far as wash or make-up??

I use witch hazel or rose water on my face after washing it, and both do a great job of tightening up my pores. I prefer the rose water just because it smells heavenly, but the witch hazel seems to do a better job of controlling oilyness (it's what I use during my hormonal time of the month).

I also splash ice cold water on my face after washing or excessive sweating, and always before putting on makeup. It closes up the pores, too.

I have large pores too. I've tried so many products, it's not even funny. The only things that have really helped *me* (mind everybody's skin reacts differently to products) is Philosophy's Help Me. It really makes a big difference in my skin when I use it. When I'm lazy and skip it I can see a difference right away. I only use it at night before my moisturizer. During the day I use Estee Lauder's Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher. I put that on after washing my face (I use Pevonia Botanica Clarigel Exfoliating Cleanser) and before my moisturizer (I just use Aveeno daily brightening moisturizer). I like the Estee Lauder. I've been using it for about a year and a half and it definitely controls the oil and makes my pores less visible (for a few hours after applying), but I'm still not certain that it is worth the cost. It's just so expensive. I've heard good things about Clinique's Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum (Geez, why do all these products have to have such long titles?? :confused: ) and will probably try that one when I run out of the Estee Lauder, but the Help Me I will buy always! It's awesome!

I think using a good cleanser (the Pevonia one is oil controlling and pore tightening as well), using mud masques and exfoliating every week and moisturizing day and night is going to go a long way to keep your oil in check. The Estee Lauder definitely controls the oil. I used to have oily skin and it has made my skin normal, but the pore shrinking only lasts a few hours unfortunately. :( The Help Me definitely makes my pores smaller and it lasts all day long. It might make you a little oiler or even have a small breakout right at the start of using it as I think your skin adjusts to the product and for me, I got a little oiler while it kinda cleared my pores out, but once my skin adjusted (about 5 days using the product every night) it really made my skin look so much better.

If you wear makeup too, I'd suggest getting a good face primer. Those will help control the oil and minimize your pores also. Benefit also has a product called The Porefessional that you can use either before or after you put on your makeup and it minimizes pores.

Sorry this is so long. I hope it is helpful though. :)

I've been using Mary Kay's Timewise Beauty Bar for face washing, their Blemish Control Toner 3, and their Oil Control Lotion for several years now. For blemish control, I've been very pleased. I don't know that the OCL does anything though because my face is still SUPER oily. I'll be watching this thread for ideas on that.

For make-up, I LOVE Bare Essentials. It totally covers my large pores and looks great. I don't feel made-up at all. My sister is getting married in September and had me do a trial run with a make-up artist but after seeing the difference, she decided to have me use my regular make-up. I looked like a painted china doll...nothing like myself at all. Until that appointment, she was convinced that all the bridesmaids should use the make-up artist but she was shocked to see that the Bare Essentials looked much better.

This may sound very odd, but the areas of my face with large pores and excess oil became less oily and the pores much less obvious when I started using Deep Cleansing Oil and Olive Virgin Oil from DHC. I also gently exfoliate once per week with an apricot scrub, and I use the 10% AHA (body lotion) from Paula's Choice, on my face, daily. The pores are much less visible now.

Deep Cleansing Oil and Olive Virgin Oil from DHC. I also gently exfoliate once per week with an apricot scrub, and I use the 10% AHA (body lotion) from Paula's Choice, on my face, daily. The pores are much less visible now.

I just placed my first DHC order and am excited. Looks really good. :)

I also LOVE Paula's Choice. :D I use the BHA gels at night. Love them so much. Not every night for me. Just every few nights and when I remember and am not feeling lazy.

This sounds counter-intuitive, but my severely oil skin got better when I stopped using products for oily skin and started using ones for normal skin. I discovered I was really drying it out and it was over-producing oil to compensate. I also switched to washing my face at night and using only water in the morning. Everyone I recommend that to says "no way could I do that with my skin", but seriously, your skin starts to adjust and normalize. Try it!

Please, for the your health, steer clear of any antibiotic topical ointment. It can do more harm than good later on down the line. I suffered from chronic candida issues because of being on antibiotic ointment and pills for acne.

When I began washing my face clay wash and moisturizing with unrefined coconut oil, that's when i saw a big difference in my skin.

Bare Minerals make up is amazing for covering up large pores.

I'm hoping that Clarisonic works - I started using it last week!

http://www.clarisonic.com/shop/sonic_skin_cleansing_systems/sonic_skin_cleansing_system_mia/index.php

I have been using Paula's Choice stuff for years. I love it, but I have no idea if it has decreased my pore size. I'm not willing to stop using it to find out!

I bought one of these sev wks ago. I really like it! My skin feels softer, and I've noticed some reduction in blackheads on my nose/chin. It has also helped clear up the big, painful mountains as well.

I bought one of these sev wks ago. I really like it! My skin feels softer, and I've noticed some reduction in blackheads on my nose/chin. It has also helped clear up the big, painful mountains as well.

I have just started to see a difference - I'm crossing my fingers...

This surprises me, yet I keep hearing this! I bought Bare Minerals recently and it magnifies my pores and dry skin. Even when I use the primer. Everyday Minerals is a bit better. I've had the best luck with Neutrogena Sheer Minerals pressed powder foundation.

Tea tree oil soap (I use the one from the body shop) has worked really well for me.

I hear good things about this.

Please, for the your health, steer clear of any antibiotic topical ointment. It can do more harm than good later on down the line. I suffered from chronic candida issues because of being on antibiotic ointment and pills for acne.

When I began washing my face clay wash and moisturizing with unrefined coconut oil, that's when i saw a big difference in my skin.

You are mentioning acne.

Dd who is 16 is plagued with acne. She's vegetarian! I've tried working with her on her diet but we can't figure out what the culprit is, other than the obvious, hormones.

But she has acne always, especially around the edges of her face. She's sick of it, and very self-conscious of it at this point. At PMS time she gets big ones and any place on her face. Her face is continually breaking out, it gets much worse PMS and during menses.

I'm looking for ideas, please?

We've tried a number of acne products and some scrubs, trying to stay on the organic end of things.

What have you or your kids tried that worked? Didn't work?

I told her I would take her to the doctor for antibiotics but you say no?

to the OP: have you considered getting facials? They are pricey, but are AMAZING!

You are mentioning acne.

Dd who is 16 is plagued with acne. She's vegetarian! I've tried working with her on her diet but we can't figure out what the culprit is, other than the obvious, hormones.

But she has acne always, especially around the edges of her face. She's sick of it, and very self-conscious of it at this point. At PMS time she gets big ones and any place on her face. Her face is continually breaking out, it gets much worse PMS and during menses.

We've tried a number of acne products and some scrubs, trying to stay on the organic end of things.

Please, don't take your daughter in for ABX. Yes, ABX works for acne, but it also depletes the body of good bacteria. I was on ABX for acne for a couple of years. And this did a number on my body. I wish SO BADLY that I never went on ABX. I suffered from chronic candida issues (yeast infections) for about 6 yrs.

It took me about 18 months of probiotic therapy to heal my gut and replenish the good bacteria in my body. It was rough. I tell you.

Only take ABX for serious infections. Not acne.

Have you considered taking your daughter to get facials?

No, I haven't considered facials, I guess I don't know too much! What can you tell me about facials? Where does one go for a facial?

I know continual use of antibiotics can really mess things up and I don't want to do that, but we don't know what else to do.

I don't even know what ABX is, name of prescription or ointment?

No, I haven't considered facials, I guess I don't know too much! What can you tell me about facials? Where does one go for a facial?

I know continual use of antibiotics can really mess things up and I don't want to do that, but we don't know what else to do.

I don't even know what ABX is, name of prescription or ointment?

abx is short for antibiotics. ;)

Tea tree oil soap (I use the one from the body shop) has worked really well for me.

I had heard good things about this and tried it. I'm still trying to get my face back to normal. I broke out horribly, it was painful and the skin on my face hasn't fully recovered after several months. I'm obviously sensitive to something in it so I would rec. anyone trying to start slow and see how their skin reacts.

Burt's Bees. I found that once I got rid of the chemicals my face wasn't quite so oily anymore. Seriously. It might take a week or so to get used to it but it's good stuff and lasts ages. Peach scrub is what I started with but the shop never kept it in stock so I moved to a cream wash. :) Love it. Before that I used Biore which did wonders, but I still got break out.. It was amazing how great BB worked and it's not a chemically loaded thing either. :D

You are mentioning acne.

I have issues with acne because I have PCOS. What worked for me was simply cutting as much sugar as possible out of my diet and drinking huge amounts of water.

You are mentioning acne.

Make sure she is following a routine of cleanser, exfoliant (BHA) and topical disinfectant. Learn here. Check out her sections on acne and children's skin. She has two great books also. You do not need to buy Paula Begoun's products. Check out her reviews for other brands here.

You are mentioning acne.

I used to get the huge, painful pimples around my hairline and jawline. What worked for me was going to a dermatologist and having "acne surgery". Basically, they pop them for you. My insurance covered it, so it might be worth looking into it to see if yours would too. I also coupled this with microderm abrasion (not covered by insurance). After only a few sessions, I noticed a huge difference in how many of the big ones I would get. Now, I might get one once or twice a month.

You are mentioning acne.

It may be the oils in her hair or hair products. My skin breaks out if it comes in contact with oily hair products/heavy conditioner. Invest in pretty hairbands or scrunchies. Use sensitive skin soap from Clinique. I have very sensitive skin and will break out even worse with acne meds, it's too harsh.

I want to add that I wash my face last after conditioning hair so it won't sit on my skin.

Edited by treestarfae
adding

Thank you for all the comments and helpful suggestions.

Mergath, she has not completely cut sugar but is trying.

She doesn't wear much makeup, just mascara, and doesn't put anything on her hair.

We've tried switching shampoos. She's tried Burt's Bees products and has seen no change.

She does seem to have sensitive skin, so maybe tea tree oil soap would not be a good option.

You have all given us lots of helpful ideas, thank you!

So many fabulous tips here. Love this thread. :)

:iagree:

You are mentioning acne.

Just one thought - does she drink cow's milk? Cow's milk and refined sugar are the top 2 acne culprits. My skin cleared up amazingly when I cut out milk, or had it very rarely.

Sorry your dd is going through this. My dc are breaking out also. Not a fun stage at all.

to the OP: have you considered getting facials?

If you have acne, you may break out a bit more at first. The body's getting rid of toxins. But it really can help over the long-term.

So many fabulous tips here. Love this thread. :)

Just one thought - does she drink cow's milk? Cow's milk and refined sugar are the top 2 acne culprits. My skin cleared up amazingly when I cut out milk, or had it very rarely.

Sorry your dd is going through this. My dc are breaking out also. Not a fun stage at all.

If you have acne, you may break out a bit more at first. The body's getting rid of toxins. But it really can help over the long-term.

She stopped drinking cow's milk, but still eats cheese sometimes.

I've tried to convince her to use various herbs, but she forgets to take them. She doesn't eat a LOT of sugar stuff.

Thank you, Negin. She's aware of sugar and dairy being villains in the game and really is trying. The more she has read on this thread and reading the link someone posted, the more determined she is to find an answer and keep trying to clear it up.

Dd says "thank you" too.:001_smile:;)

She stopped drinking cow's milk, but still eats cheese sometimes.

I've tried to convince her to use various herbs, but she forgets to take them. She doesn't eat a LOT of sugar stuff.

Thank you, Negin. She's aware of sugar and dairy being villains in the game and really is trying. The more she has read on this thread and reading the link someone posted, the more determined she is to find an answer and keep trying to clear it up.

Dd says "thank you" too.:001_smile:;)

Ginger, you and your dd are most welcome. :grouphug:

Cheese sometimes should be fine. Goat's cheese (chevre) is absolutely delicious and very healthy. My dc protest when we run out. Goat's milk and almond milk are good also.

Good for her for not eating many sweets. I wish our dc were as good.

Some more info - that may be helpful - or may not, since you both may be aware of it already.

Take note of certain foods of types of food you ate 4-24 hours before an acne flare-up. See how your skin reacts to specific foods and eliminate anything that causes problems.

More Fish, especially oily fish, such salmon - Carlson's Fish Oil (liquid or capsules - my dc take the teen capsules) are a fabulous source of Omega 3s - essential for healthy skin. Fish Oil is a good source of Essential Fatty Acids. These are are anti-inflammatory and help keep oil production under control.

Cucumber Juice - I make fresh cucumber juice with an apple for my dc as often as I can. I often add other greens also. If you have a juicer, trust me on this. Fresh cucumber juice works like a charm.

More Green Veggies

More Purple and Deep Red Foods – pomegranates, purple carrots, black grapes, and beets

Probiotics are essential

The Clear Skin Diet” by Valori Treloar (is a book that I have not read, but have heard great things about)

There are some other recommended books when you scroll down the amazon page and they may be worth looking into also, such as this one.

9780743236232.jpg

Walmart (and Amazon) has some homeopathic supplements in the Skin Care section – Nature’s Cure – one for boys and one for girls. If one doesn’t work, switch the gender around. Many rave about these. My dc have some success with them. Hard to tell if it's just that or not.

LYMPHATIC SYSTEM

Do you have a mini-trampoline/rebounder? Regular trampolining/rebounding helps clear your lymphatic system. Many skin conditions are common symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system, not all are practical for a pre-teen - just info for you to know:

• Daily Rebounding - I try to get my dc to bounce on the rebounder as often as possible.

• Deep Breathing

• Dry Body Brushing

• Massage and/or Reflexology

• Swinging

KEEP IT SIMPLE AND BE GENTLE

Wash the face with a microfiber cloth and nothing but water (Exfolia Cloth is available from chinaberry or amazon and is gentle).

Avoid harsh or irritating skin-care products. Treating acne-prone skin gently is the best way to go.

Avoid washing your face with bar soaps or bar cleansers of any kind.

Do not pick at blemishes! I know it's tempting, but doing so can cause the blemish to rupture and increase the chance of scarring.

Avoid subjecting skin to extreme heat or cold. Hot compresses or ice cubes are not the way to treat acne or to encourage healing.

Avoid thick, waxy hairstyling products, especially if your hair usually touches your forehead.

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/index.html

http://www.acne.org/