Menu

Would you travel to Japan next month?

My girlfriend is being put under a lot of pressure right now to make this week long trip to Japan (in May). She'd be in Tokyo and some surrounding cities.

She's feeling very unsure about what to do, (though ultimately she doesn't want to go). She's getting a lot of conflicting answers from the people she's talked to about this. I told her I'd ask here and see what comes up.

I think her main worry is exposure to radiation.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this. :001_smile:

Is she traveling alone...with children...does she speak Japanese or know someone who does?

We lived there for three years, and I'd love to visit again; I'm not sure I'd go now.

My girlfriend is being put under a lot of pressure right now to make this week long trip to Japan (in May). She'd be in Tokyo and some surrounding cities.

She's feeling very unsure about what to do, (though ultimately she doesn't want to go). She's getting a lot of conflicting answers from the people she's talked to about this. I told her I'd ask here and see what comes up.

I think her main worry is exposure to radiation.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this. :001_smile:

Is she traveling alone...with children...does she speak Japanese or know someone who does?

We lived there for three years, and I'd love to visit again; I'm not sure I'd go now.

She's going with a group of people, no kids. She knows Japan fairly well, and knows many people there in the circle she works in. She works there at least once a year. She'd be taken care of.

Edited by helena

If it was for work and she was being pressured to go I would just go.

If it was just for vacation I probably would not.

My reasons wouldn't be safety as much as the infrastructure issues following a disaster, people might be more tense...travel wouldn't be as easy. Different things like that.

Edited by Sis

For work, yes, I'd go. I would assume that the company would house them and take care of them appropriately. I assume that they would do that through restaurants/hotels that have access to supplies from safe areas.

To visit people living in the Tokyo area, no, I wouldn't because it would put too much strain on them at this time. They have been affected by supply issues, damage from the earthquake and financially by all that is happening in the country. It's just harder to cope with those things individually as a consumer.

we are returning in a few weeks and have been assured that all is well. the State Department has lifted their travel advisory too. As far as being a "strain," I actually think that Japan is anxious for tourism again. They'll need the money. I'm looking forward to "going home." I would make sure she knows that more than likely she'll feel earthquakes. The aftershocks haven't stopped, and probably won't for months to come, and some are rather "large" in the 6+ range.

we are returning in a few weeks and have been assured that all is well. the State Department has lifted their travel advisory too. As far as being a "strain," I actually think that Japan is anxious for tourism again. They'll need the money. I'm looking forward to "going home." I would make sure she knows that more than likely she'll feel earthquakes. The aftershocks haven't stopped, and probably won't for months to come, and some are rather "large" in the 6+ range.

The strain I referred to would be for individuals. I know that my friends in Tokyo have gone through a lot and are not up to hosting someone right now. I agree that they do want tourism "dollars".