Menu

Do I *have* to make him sit down...

Mynyel

... to do his math sheet? Can't I just do it orally?

I am using MUS and ds9 is behind. I know we homeschool but he is only half way through Beta at 9yo. It seems with a lot of his math he does well orally.

What says the hive? I say go for it until he gets up in grades and needs to write the problems out.

It's great for building mental math!

What about doing it on a white board? or on the sliding glass door using window markers? (still standing and moving, but showing work! ;) )

Window Markers? What is this you speak of?? I have dry erase?

Crayola makes markers that are for windows.

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Window-Mega-Markers/dp/B000I1J048/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304005798&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola%C2%AE-Washable-Markers-Conical-Assorted/dp/B002XK4KC4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304005798&sr=8-3

You can get them at Wal-Mart or Target.

My kids love them. :D And sometimes it gets us through the boring, "Do I have to?" stuff.

My daughter sometimes does her math while jumping on a rebounder (she's in grade 6!) We also switch rooms a lot, sometimes we do math on the living room floor, sometimes at the kitchen table, sometimes outside with chalk. The possibilities are endless if you have a kid who doesn't want to/can't sit down or keep still.

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Window-Mega-Markers/dp/B000I1J048/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304005798&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola%C2%AE-Washable-Markers-Conical-Assorted/dp/B002XK4KC4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304005798&sr=8-3

My kids love them. :D And sometimes it gets us through the boring, "Do I have to?" stuff.

Thanks!

Do I *have* to make him sit down...

This was my oldest when he was young :lol:! Do what you need to do. He will eventually learn (probably WANT) to sit. I think this is why so many kids have problems in ps....they have to sit in a chair all day!! This would kill my dd!!!

Actually washable markers do the same thing on windows. You don't need to buy the special window ones. HTH.

Actually washable markers do the same thing on windows. You don't need to buy the special window ones. HTH.

I'm having a "do I have to?" day. :lol: So I ran an experiment using both kinds.

Window markers more opaque than the washables. The color isn't as vibrant as the washables. The washables bead and smear when used on the windows but this actually makes for easier clean up. But the Window Markers require a window cleaner to wipe off if they are given any time to dry (they erase instantly). So they last longer without smearing.

So, all that to say, washable markers work as well for temporary math problems. :lol: We keep it up longer for memory work.

I'm having a "do I have to?" day. :lol: So I ran an experiment using both kinds.

Window markers more opaque than the washables. The color isn't as vibrant as the washables. The washables bead and smear when used on the windows but this actually makes for easier clean up. But the Window Markers require a window cleaner to wipe off if they are given any time to dry (they erase instantly). So they last longer without smearing.

So, all that to say, washable markers work as well for temporary math problems. :lol: We keep it up longer for memory work.

Yeah, I'm sure there are pros to the "window" ones, but it's nice when you don't want to spend the $$. Thanks for the comparison! Good to know that the others last longer if we need it for that.

And just in case the wrong ones are used.....Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work wonders! :tongue_smilie:

LOL good to know :)

Orally is fine. At some point he will need to make the transition to writing things down, but a good way to ease into that is to use a small whiteboard. You copy the problems from the book/worksheet and he does them from there. Eventually he can copy the problems. Then at some point before he starts high school, make the transfer to having him work on paper.

What if you did a combo? Maybe just 1/3 or 1/2 of them written (on the windows or whatever) and all the rest orally? I do think there is some value in knowing how to correctly write the problems out. It can show if there are any holes in their understanding of place value, for instance, if they don't line the problems up correctly...units in the units place, tens in the tens place, etc. Your dc may be way past that being a problem...just a thought. :)

Is the problem writing, reading, attention, or sitting?

If it's one of the first 3, by all means, get the math done any way it gets done while you address the root issue separately.

If the issue is physical discomfort with sitting, low abdominal muscle tone, or a need to wiggle, try a combo of letting him stand or one of these (plus an eval by a licensed PT or OT): have him sit on a physioball/gym ball or hippity hop turned sideways. Surround the bottom of it with a blanket so it isn't quite so rolly. It will be more comfortable; slowly build ab strength for better posture, and he will probably gently bounce on it while he works, an acceptable fidgeting that still allows him to concentrate on his work.

You might have to adjust the work surface with this method to get a good height match-- with my son, the ball or hippity hop and a tv tray work well together.

Good luck!

Jen

I am using MUS and ds9 is behind. I know we homeschool but he is only half way through Beta at 9yo. It seems with a lot of his math he does well orally.

What says the hive? I say go for it until he gets up in grades and needs to write the problems out.

Yes! One of my kids actually has on her list of suggested accomodations that she should be allowed to stand while completing written work.

Another of my kids didn't start learning her math facts well until we started doing them orally. Before that, the more we practiced in writing, the slower she got. I finally realized that she has to nail them orally before practicing in writing.