Menu

Ear congestion remedies?

I have used garlic oil drops with great success for both ear infections and congestion in my dc. You can buy them at health food stores or make your own by heating 2 Tbs. of olive oil with 1 clove crushed garlic. Strain the garlic before placing 2 drops in the ear. HTH

What do you mean by ear congestion? My dd (5 yrs old) has fluid build up in her middle ear (we're just dealing with this right now, went to the ENT on Monday) which is causing her hearing loss. She's getting tubes for them. However, aside from the hearing loss, it doesn't seem to bother her. Have you tried Benadryl?

Eliminate dairy and wheat.

Have you ever tried ear candles? They are getting more common here. My kids love them- they feel really good. They are a tube you place gently in the ear, patient lying in their side, and the top is lit while someone holds it upright. It creates a drawing and warming effect that feels very soothing and can melt and draw guck out of the ear canal. It is quite safe when done by an adult.

Eliminate dairy and wheat.

Have you ever tried ear candles? They are getting more common here. My kids love them- they feel really good. They are a tube you place gently in the ear, patient lying in their side, and the top is lit while someone holds it upright. It creates a drawing and warming effect that feels very soothing and can melt and draw guck out of the ear canal. It is quite safe when done by an adult.

Is this something you would do once the ear is painful or as a routine hygiene kind of thing?

We use a garlic press for onion or garlic juice drops in the ear. I've seen complete relief in as little as 20 minutes.

You said congestion, any pain?

I've also rubbed a lymphatic oil on the neck right below the ears. Some people use olive oil. The lymphatic oil I've used contains eucalyptus oil.

I've also rubbed the feet of the person with the oil or olive oil, yes, for ear problems. And then put socks on them. Make sure the feet are warm.

Then there are those ear syringe things with peroxide. I've never used it, but many swear success.

I've used ear candles when I've had a very congested ear. The flame can get quite tall for something you have sticking out of your ear!!! Just be very careful and calm. The flame is longer than an inch, maybe three inches. ? Someone? I can't remember.

Is this something you would do once the ear is painful or as a routine hygiene kind of thing?

I thought ear candles were for outer ear canal stuff? How do they help ear congestion? The heat?

I am no expert on them. There is a lot of scepticism about them but if you have ever had a session- it feels very calming and good, for some reason. And for some people it has unblocked years of congestion, ear wax, and helped people hear better- lots of anecdotal cases. My son in particular loves them. I cant say its ever really made a difference for me but I have never really had problems (I was just trying it to see how it felt!).

As for why it might help deeper congestion- anything that helps unblock the outer canals is going to change the air pressure, maybe help drainage etc. But honestly, I cant say I have seen any scientific studies, if thats what you want.

But it's harmless done occasionally and perhaps worth a try since it obviously does help some cases- and a great novelty too for a sick kid, I must add. Just a suggestion.

The ENT told us the ear candles are a hoax. If you burn them

completely by themselves, you will still get the "wax" in the middle of the candle. He said he has also had to work on someone's ear who had the wax drip into their ear and caused a sevre burn.

Ever since he told me that, I haven't used them,