Menu

Sore Throat, when to take to Dr?

The last time my kids were sick enough for the Dr was when dd13 was 6 and ds9 was almost 3. My third wasn't even a twinkle in my eye yet.

Anyway, dd13 has a very sore throat. Hurts to swallow, hurts to drink and she said it hurts when she nods her head.

How do I determine when to take her to the Dr? Shoot the last time I remember a sore throat it was years and years ago.

This doesn't seem like your typical post nasal drip either. Her throat is swollen from what I can see of the inside.

I have no idea what strep looks like.

I tend to be very cautious and not run to the Dr. for every thing, however, there are some nasty strep germs out there this spring. DH and my sister were both DX with strep in the past few weeks. My friend is in the hospital because of a strep infection. I probably had it too, altho I was given an antibiotic without a clear DX because of my symptoms and what I had been exposed to.

I would at least call and talk to a nurse and see what they think is going around in your area.

Can you see if her throat is very red and/or has white spots. That sounds a lot like strep and I know that in our area it is really going around.

Strep is easy to treat with antibiotics but left untreated, it can go into Scarlet fever and rheumatic fever which can lead to heart damage, etc.

I would vote for going in.

If it hurts when she nods, that can mean that it is QUITE swollen, and that's when they typically start asking the scarey questions like, "Is she having trouble breathing? Is anyone with her right now? You're not going to leave her alone for any reason are you? If it gets ANY worse come in immediately."

Between those and the possibility of strep side effects worse than the disease, I would go in and get swabbed.

Having said that, I just had this two weeks ago and it turned out not to be strep. Never did quite figure out whether it was just sudden, bad allergies or allergies plus a cold, but I'm still glad that I checked and that it wasn't strep.

:iagree: with getting swabbed. Strep has been very nasty around us. I had it twice in two months. I thought I had it a third time - I feel exactly the same - so I got swabbed yesterday. So far it's negative but they're culturing it. I'm so glad this appears to be viral (though it doesn't feel like it - this is going on and on, almost two weeks now). I'm annoyed with the thought of having to take all six kids in to get checked - they've all complained of a sore throat in the last week or so. In Feb., we all had it, even the baby (kids under two aren't supposed to react to strep, but she's had it twice - rectally). That's us, The Strep Family. Knock on wood that we have a virus...

With tonsils as swollen as you describe, I'd definitely take her in to get looked at and swabbed. Hope she feels better soon!

The last time my kids were sick enough for the Dr was when dd13 was 6 and ds9 was almost 3. My third wasn't even a twinkle in my eye yet.

Anyway, dd13 has a very sore throat. Hurts to swallow, hurts to drink and she said it hurts when she nods her head.

How do I determine when to take her to the Dr? Shoot the last time I remember a sore throat it was years and years ago.

This doesn't seem like your typical post nasal drip either. Her throat is swollen from what I can see of the inside.

I have no idea what strep looks like.

I think strep typically has temps over 101. My daughter had a temp of 102+ last month when she had strep. Strep is running rampant this fall.

Edited to say though I'm also in favor of swabbing with "swollen throat" symptoms.