Menu

Garden question...

I am growing lots of vegetables this year.. (with no success last year), two concerns:

1) Too many slugs and snails (dh is against putting any chemicals to kill them, any natural remedy/chemical free thing to kill them?)

2) dh is against putting any plant food/miracle grows in the garden bed..(he just wants organic vegies, but we had no success growing them lastyear, with no chemicals at all....)

WOuld need your advice , how you grow your vegies without any sprays/chemicals/miracle grows/plant food...

Thanks!

If you are planting in raised beds or pots, you can use copper tape to repel the slugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Matson-715-Corrys-Slug-Snail/dp/B000QD3BPW/ref=pd_sbs_ol_1

I would NOT put down snail bait as it can be quite toxic.

There are organic ways to fertilize: seaweed/kelp, fish fertilizer, compost, etc. Many of the major manufacturers make organic fertilizer products as well.

Happy gardening :001_smile:

Slugs are attracted to beer. If you put out containers of it, they will (for lack of a better way of putting it) get tipsy & drown.

We've had some success with organic gardening using both Neem oil and a mixture of water/cayenne pepper. Spray either/both on the plants and most pests will avoid them.

The only thing I've had no success in deterring are the crazy squirrels that live around here :D

I put bone fish meal, they are organic fertilizer

I am growing lots of vegetables this year.. (with no success last year), two concerns:

2) dh is against putting any plant food/miracle grows in the garden bed..(he just wants organic vegies, but we had no success growing them lastyear, with no chemicals at all....)

WOuld need your advice , how you grow your vegies without any sprays/chemicals/miracle grows/plant food...

Thanks!

What area do you live in?

Do not use miracle grow on your garden. You can go to Organic Gardening website and probably read information why it is not good.

Gardening takes practice. I sometimes read about people who plant everything they want to grow over one weekend and then wonder why their garden didn't do well. Every plant has different requirements about when to plant, how much water/sun they need and what plants do well next to each other. Also sometimes the weather is just bad some summers.

Slugs are attracted to beer. If you put out containers of it, they will (for lack of a better way of putting it) get tipsy & drown. :D

Oh, I had forgotten about the beer-baited traps! I haven't tried them, but I have heard they work. Also, when I had a lot of slugs in a small garden I went out after dark and picked them by hand. Gross, but effective ;).

1. Diatomaceous Earth - sprinkle on the ground around your plants. 100% organic. You'll have to reapply after rain.

2. Compost - make a little compost pile by mixing lawn clippings, dried leaves, and kitchen waste. You'll have a great fertilizer to mix into your soil next spring. In the meantime, you can probably buy some bagged compost at a garden center?

We stick all of our vegetables into the ground on the same weekend and our garden is always super-productive.

Thanks for all your responses...

One more thing, I read quiet a bit on net, and all sites claim Plant foods are infact REQUIRED for good plant health..

We put Steer manure, buut it doesnt seem to help..

I went to buy Dexa.....Earth, someone recommended here, But when I read it was for cleaning pools, I was confused may be I am looking at the wrong product...or is it the one?

Any further help..

1. Diatomaceous Earth - sprinkle on the ground around your plants. 100% organic. You'll have to reapply after rain.

2. Compost - make a little compost pile by mixing lawn clippings, dried leaves, and kitchen waste. You'll have a great fertilizer to mix into your soil next spring. In the meantime, you can probably buy some bagged compost at a garden center?

We stick all of our vegetables into the ground on the same weekend and our garden is always super-productive.

Thanks for all your responses...

One more thing, I read quiet a bit on net, and all sites claim Plant foods are infact REQUIRED for good plant health..

We put Steer manure, buut it doesnt seem to help..

I went to buy Dexa.....Earth, someone recommended here, But when I read it was for cleaning pools, I was confused may be I am looking at the wrong product...or is it the one?

Any further help..

The diatomaceous earth that she mentioned above is not for fertilizing the garden, it is for keeping pests out by sprinkling a line of it that the pests won't cross.

Have you checked out compost?

You should consider having your soil tested at your local Extension Office. Over-supplementing is as bad as under-supplementing, so you need to know what your current soil is deficient in (if anything). I buy baggies of *organic chicken poo* from our local nursery, and it makes some beautiful plants. If I were you, suggest that your dh do some research on building a nice compost bin that he can care for. He'll appreciate having all that lovely rich compost to add to the garden!

Also, when I had a lot of slugs in a small garden I went out after dark and picked them by hand. Gross, but effective ;).

This is what SLUG (Society L..... of Urban Gardeners) recommends around here. They say that if you do this every couple of days for a while, the population will drop to the point where you barely notice it. Works for snails as well. Drop them into a bucket of water and throw it away. (in the garbage, not onto the compost heap, LOL!)