Menu

Kindle available for $114...with ads

books with ads! :svengo: Even if it's just those two places, it violates my sensibilities about reading.

Next they'll be getting corporate sponsors for books. The latest edition of WTM, brought to you by PHP and Mikes, or something like that.

Chaucer brought to you by Coke - to quench your thirst as you travel.

Dante brought to you by Hersheys - our chocolate won't melt in Paradise.

The Bible brought you by......guess, you know it.........by Apple, of course. - We were there in the beginning. (it's humor, no offense to God or IPad owners):tongue_smilie:

books with ads! :svengo: Even if it's just those two places, it violates my sensibilities about reading.

Next they'll be getting corporate sponsors for books. The latest edition of WTM, brought to you by PHP and Mikes, or something like that.

The Bible brought you by......guess, you know it.........by Apple, of course. - We were there in the beginning. (it's humor, no offense to God or IPad owners):tongue_smilie:

:lol:

:lol:

But at the same time, it's not so funny. Not far from the truth. Seems like everything has a sponsor now.

I think it is a bad idea. I'd pay the extra $25 before giving in to the ad game.

I can read downloaded books on my iPOD, right? So do I need a Kindle?

It depends a lot on "how" you read. I have a laptop and an ipod, but I bought a Kindle for two main reasons:

*you can read outdoors in bright sunlight, which you cannot do on a backlit screen. I love reading outside, particularly at our camp, and having the kindle means not schlepping a backpack full of books every time we go.

*the Kindle is much easier on the eyes than a backlit screen, and doesn't potentially affect your sleep habits the way a backlit screen does. I'm definitely more relaxed and more likely to fall asleep quickly when reading a real book or Kindle, rather than a backlit screen.

• 2 weeks later...

It's better than what Coke, Hershey's, & Apple are currently bringing us. ;)

I'm still laughing from this one!:lol:

:rofl: This is too funny!...It might just happen though :tongue_smilie:

I just bought a Kindle today...the no-ads version. ;)

Considering the amount of money they can probably make off the ads, I think the price could have dropped a little more. Maybe then I would have bought the ad version instead of the one without ads.

• 4 weeks later...
I have both and don't regret getting a Kindle at all--especially since they'll start library lending later this year.

Can anyone elaborate on this? This was the main reason that I was looking at a Nook rather a Kindle....

Can anyone elaborate on this? This was the main reason that I was looking at a Nook rather a Kindle....

So far, there isn't much to elaborate about. All they've said is that it will be sometime this year, and will work with libraries that use the Overdrive system.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200549320_library?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200527380#library

So far, there isn't much to elaborate about. All they've said is that it will be sometime this year, and will work with libraries that use the Overdrive system.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200549320_library?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200527380#library

Thank you, this was the first I had heard about it and didn't come up with much besides this information. Very cool!

As soon as I saw they were doing this I thought, "There's no way people will put up with ads when they're READING--um, hello--for a measly $25. Drop the price to $99 and they'll get a truckload."

I have yet to hear of anyone doing this.

But mark my word, if they get it to less than $100 people will do it.

I LOVE MY KINDLE!!! I never thought I'd live to see the day when I'd prefer to read an e-book over experiencing real books, but I'm in love with that darn thing.