Menu

Poll: Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia Conference?

Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?  

1. 1. Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?

• Yes, I will be attending.
    • Undecided, I may be attending.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to hijack this thread but could use some feedback...I get to choose my own six sessions! Could I get some input on what you'd like to hear?

FYI, here are the session descriptions I currently use (not including keynotes). Could customize/branch out too if there's enough organized agreement.

WORKSHOPS

New for 2011!

- Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

-The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

Other Workshops

-The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education,

Grades K-4

-The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education,

Grades 5-8

-A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

-Teaching Students to Work Independently

OK, people, thoughts?

SWB

The workshops all look great :001_smile:...I put the six I would choose to go to, though I would go to any of them!

SWB,

Thanks so much for doing this conference! I would really like to go to this conference - right now, I'm working of the logistics of child-care!

So, if my vote counts for anything, these would the ones that would best fit our current needs as a homeschooling family:

WORKSHOPS

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education, Grades K-4

The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education, Grades 5-8

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Elementary Grades

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?

Thanks!

BTW, SWB, do you know which day you will be speaking? (That info might come into play if I can only come for one day.) Thanks!

Oh Colleen you HAVE to come! DO IT! DO IT!

:lol::lol: THAT struck me as hilarious!

I am SO torn with trying to decide!! Gas is sooooo expensive right now, and when we go on a long-haul trip down the east coast, we have to coordinate carefully - staying with friends and family along the way because we can't afford to stay in hotels. We also bring food with us, due to expense and allergies. On the other hand, I put out local announcements the other day about me starting up a WTM/classical home educators support group in my area, and have had four responses already - wonder if I should check with these strangers (I have only met one of them, briefly!) to see if they want to rent an economy car and go on a road trip and we share costs! Hope those dorms and registrations aren't filling up too quickly yet, as I waffle along...

We are just starting out homeschooling with our elementary-aged ds (with a three year old in the mix!). I would be interested in the sessions geared toward that age:

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education,

Grades K-4

This is all so exciting! Thanks to everyone who worked to put this together!

-Faith

My votes:

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education,

Grades 5-8

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

These are my top four - and I'm also hoping they are on Saturday, since I won't be able to attend on Friday.

Oh no! Are you hoping for the same sessions?

Yes and no. I'm more interested in high school since I will have a 9th grader in the fall. However I could deal with middle school because I will also have a 6th grader, but since I've gone through those years already, I'm not *as* interested. I no longer have any elementary kids, so that could go on Sat. without a problem for me ;)

I found your vote and answered my own question. Maybe she'll do high school sessions on Friday and elementary/middle sessions on Sat. But we'll have to fight over the Real Student one. ;) LOL

I'll be there Sat. morning for the first talk. Could you be there Friday evening for the last talk?

:lol::lol: THAT struck me as hilarious!

I am SO torn with trying to decide!! Gas is sooooo expensive right now, and when we go on a long-haul trip down the east coast, we have to coordinate carefully - staying with friends and family along the way because we can't afford to stay in hotels. We also bring food with us, due to expense and allergies. On the other hand, I put out local announcements the other day about me starting up a WTM/classical home educators support group in my area, and have had four responses already - wonder if I should check with these strangers (I have only met one of them, briefly!) to see if they want to rent an economy car and go on a road trip and we share costs! Hope those dorms and registrations aren't filling up too quickly yet, as I waffle along...

I'm not sure how many your "we" includes, but I'm in Kittery, Maine (the last town in Maine before you cross the bridge into Portsmouth, NH). I'm still waffling because I don't want to go alone. I have a friend I'm trying to talk into coming but....

Colleen, if you do drive, I can offer a place to sleep, refuel, gather strength in RI.

Perhaps you could stop here on the way to RI, we could pick up yellowperch and split the gas.......??:001_unsure:

I'll be there Sat. morning for the first talk. Could you be there Friday evening for the last talk?

No. :sad: VBS closing ceremony and toddler who nurses to sleep at night. I'm more likely to make part of the day on Friday (maybe the afternoon) since we have VBS and swim practice in the morning.

Guest brunhilde

I've got my doubts about teaching HS. My dd is going into G7 in the fall, and I'd like to have a well laid plan in place before we get there, so I'm voting for the following workshops:

A Plan for Teaching Writing - HS

A Plan for Teaching Writing - MS (for my ds 10)

How to Read a Book

Preparing for College Admissions

Teaching Students to Work Independently

WTM - Academic Excellence Gr 9-12

Can't wait for the conference.

Yes and no. I'm more interested in high school since I will have a 9th grader in the fall. However I could deal with middle school because I will also have a 6th grader, but since I've gone through those years already, I'm not *as* interested. I no longer have any elementary kids, so that could go on Sat. without a problem for me ;)

SWB must have heard us. ;)

She posted a poll. Go vote if you haven't already! :D

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263762

Colleen, if you do drive, I can offer a place to sleep, refuel, gather strength in RI.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. The only thing is, we don't usually go through RI on our way south - we just go I-95 to I-495 and then cut across on the Mass Pike and down into CT. But I will keep this in mind. My Mom is also in Southern Maine, so I could stop there...it just might be a bummer to only see her for a few hours. Oh, what to do!

Oh Colleen you HAVE to come! DO IT! DO IT!

I'm thinking...and keeping an eye on this thread. (thank you for the vote of confidence!)

I'm not sure how many your "we" includes, but I'm in Kittery, Maine (the last town in Maine before you cross the bridge into Portsmouth, NH). I'm still waffling because I don't want to go alone. I have a friend I'm trying to talk into coming but....

Perhaps you could stop here on the way to RI, we could pick up yellowperch and split the gas.......??:001_unsure:

Oooo, more ideas, thank you! I drive through Kittery, too. My Mom lives in Sanford.

I mapped out a driving route last night, and Mapquest said it would take 17.5 hours for me to drive. I found that hard to believe, since it takes us at least 10 hours to go from Halifax to Sanford. I guess that's with no stops, though.

Edited by Colleen in NS

Philly--$300+

Atlantic City--$500+

Spirit Air: No seats avail on 6/23 OR 6/25.

What about flying into Baltimore (BWI) and taking Amtrak up to Philly? The closest stop on Amtrak would actually be Paoli, PA, but you'd have to switch train (I think) at the 30th St. Station in Philly. Looks like there's an Amtrak terminal at BWI and one-way to Paoli is coming up at $38.50.

Checked on Expedia...AirTran has nonstop flights from DFW to BWI for $299.40. ? But then you add in train/cab/etc. -- not sure that is still in your budget?

Edited by ErinMarie123
looked up flights

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. The only thing is, we don't usually go through RI on our way south - we just go I-95 to I-495 and then cut across on the Mass Pike and down into CT. But I will keep this in mind. My Mom is also in Southern Maine, so I could stop there...it just might be a bummer to only see her for a few hours. Oh, what to do!

I'm thinking...and keeping an eye on this thread. (thank you for the vote of confidence!)

Oooo, more ideas, thank you! I drive through Kittery, too. My Mom lives in Sanford.

I mapped out a driving route last night, and Mapquest said it would take 17.5 hours for me to drive. I found that hard to believe, since it takes us at least 10 hours to go from Halifax to Sanford. I guess that's with no stops, though.

Hey, Sanford's not too far away!:) Mapquest tells me 7 hours 2 min from Kittery to the college in Phoenixville. I'm assuming with stops somewhere close to 8 hours. Of course, I'm not bringing kids so that helps.:D

Philly--$300+

Atlantic City--$500+

Spirit Air: No seats avail on 6/23 OR 6/25.

If you can get into DC or NYC cheaply you might try the bolt bus. I've taken them from Boston to NYC and it's not the scary greyhound of years past, it was non-stop and catered to business people and students. www.boltbus.com

I'm certain you'll find info about getting to KofP Mall. Here's their link, put in your address and you'll get info how to get to the Mall from your home.

http://www.kingofprussiamall.com/trip/questions.php?start=questions

There is something that comes out of 30th street station. A train that goes to the Main line maybe the cabbing it from there? Here's some info http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,1500253

Here's another idea - The Septa 124 or 125 bus to KofP Mall then cabbing it?

This would be the reverse for you: The closest station to KOP is the Ardmore Station, but it's easier to get the 124 or 125 SEPTA bus at the mall. (near J.C. Penneys). That will take you directly to 30th Street station (about 35-40 minutes), or to 13th and Market which is very close to Greyhound at 11th and Filbert Streets.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/pennsylvania/122881-philly-penn-station-king-prussia-ardmore.html#ixzz1JNHb9UV9

Septa says: take the 124 bus out of 30th street station, get off at KofP Mall (the Plaza) and grab the 139 bus. Wondering if the college could help you with details about the 139 bus. My gut would say grab a cab from KofP Mall though, honestly.

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&saddr=30th%20street%20station&daddr=phoenixvillle,%20pa&date=4/13/11&time=12:37%20AM&dirflg=r

YellowPerch, let me know what you decide to do. I am planning on flying in (tickets are $120 from Manchester NH) and need to figure out how to get from the airport to the college. I think I'll arrive Thursday around 2 and plan is to leave Saturday around 4.

YellowPerch, let me know what you decide to do. I am planning on flying in (tickets are $120 from Manchester NH) and need to figure out how to get from the airport to the college. I think I'll arrive Thursday around 2 and plan is to leave Saturday around 4.

I'd be able and willing to pick up/drop off you and the sweet one (or anyone!) at the airport around those times. I'm about 45 minutes south. :001_smile:

Hey Jen, Then we are around 35 minutes from eachother! That's neat to know. I am at exit 51 off 495.

Hey Jen, Then we are around 35 minutes from eachother! That's neat to know. I am at exit 51 off 495.

I didn't know there were any WTMers so close, Yay!!:D I also didn't realize tickets from Manchester were so cheap. I was thinking of renting a car and driving down (we only own one car, dh is happy to take the kids but not to be "car-less"). Maybe I'll look into flying, especially if I can't get my local friend to go. I hadn't wanted to fly because 1) cost and 2) getting to and from the event. But, maybe if we gave Luckymama some gas $? Hmmmmm, it has distinct possibilities.....:drool5:

I'd be able and willing to pick up/drop off you and the sweet one (or anyone!) at the airport around those times. I'm about 45 minutes south. :001_smile:

Awesome. That would so solve my anxiety of not having to worry about that from now on until I am actually at the college!! Great. Just great.

So, Jen, are you hitching a hike on my plane as well??

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. The only thing is, we don't usually go through RI on our way south - we just go I-95 to I-495 and then cut across on the Mass Pike and down into CT.

You'll be driving right past me, and we still have room in the car! We'd be heading down Thurs. The only caveat is that we're going to have to find a hotel room Sat. night (can't start back so late on Sat...). We'd be getting back to the area Sunday afternoon/evening. PM me if you're interested.

Any other lone travelers looking for a ride from north/northwest of Boston are also free to PM me.

You'll be driving right past me, and we still have room in the car! We'd be heading down Thurs. The only caveat is that we're going to have to find a hotel room Sat. night (can't start back so late on Sat...). We'd be getting back to the area Sunday afternoon/evening. PM me if you're interested.

Any other lone travelers looking for a ride from north/northwest of Boston are also free to PM me.

Heheh, I like the "lone" in your free advertisement for passengers, heheh. Well, at least I'll be bringing one baby and not twins or something!! Now bring on the love.

And no worries, I'll be flying in on my royal horse (aka US Airlines).

Heheh, I like the "lone" in your free advertisement for passengers, heheh. Well, at least I'll be bringing one baby and not twins or something!! Now bring on the love.

And no worries, I'll be flying in on my royal horse (aka US Airlines).

Heh heh... Yeah, 7-8 hours in the car with someone else's kids might put me right over the edge... ;) Mine might put me there too, but they are staying home. :D Run away, run away...

Looking forward to seeing you down there, and meeting your cutie!

Heh heh... Yeah, 7-8 hours in the car with someone else's kids might put me right over the edge... ;) Mine might put me there too, but they are staying home. :D Run away, run away...

Looking forward to seeing you down there, and meeting your cutie!

Yeah, I totally get that. Had the same feeling a few years back; please, no babies near me!

Anyways, this baby is on the sweet-category unlike my now preschooler who was in the Active-category (huge difference).

Looking forward to it. Perhaps I'll end up drugging her with Benadryl, who knows....

Awesome. That would so solve my anxiety of not having to worry about that from now on until I am actually at the college!! Great. Just great.

So, Jen, are you hitching a hike on my plane as well??

Maybe! If so I'd love to hold the baby:D. Although, I think you're leaving earlier than I want to.

Jen, seriously, I'll pick anyone up at the airport! Ideally we should be clear of the airport area before 4pm so we're not stuck in leaving-the-city traffic.

Anyone else???

You rock!! I've looked into flying, it's actually affordable (considering I was going to rent a car and drive down). If I do fly I will absolutely make sure I get there before 4pm! I'm not a fan of traffic.:tongue_smilie:

pm'd you...:001_smile:

I've got to make a decision/plans soon! I've been waiting on a local friend to decide if she can make it or not. I should know by tomorrow.

I'm getting more and more excited to come!!

Keeping my fingers crossed the conference doesn't fill up before tomorrow afternoon....:D

I talked to DH this morning about attending. He knows I have been wanting to go to a conference with substantive speakers and topics, so he is very supportive. I'm hoping I can work out the details before the registration hits capacity.

FYI, Jen and Luckymama et al, then I am flying in on the plan arriving at 1.50 PM Thursday and leaving around 9 PM on Saturday. Of course for Saturday then I totally understand if Luckymama drops me off whenever it is convenient to her, but I just wanted to throw the time out in case others wanted to board at the same time (US Airlines). I'll remove this post in a week or so, though.

Also, Luckymama, should I bring a carseat or do you have friend with a carseat we could perhaps borrow? Or from Freecycle? I have a carseat I could easily bring, though; I am just asking!! The car seat I have is an extra from ds so we could always freecycle it in PA after Saturday (and avoid me bringing it back home, if that would work).

Sorry for all the teensy details!!

Also, Luckymama, should I bring a carseat or do you have friend with a carseat we could perhaps borrow? Or from Freecycle? I have a carseat I could easily bring, though; I am just asking!! The car seat I have is an extra from ds so we could always freecycle it in PA after Saturday (and avoid me bringing it back home, if that would work).

Nadia, we're all past the carseat age here! Even my littlest nephew is in a booster now. I'd appreciate it if you'd bring the carseat with you. I'm sure I could freecycle it for you.

Yes, quite frankly. The brainstorming and help of friends like Luckymama and others are making this feel like a real circle of effort. I spent all day today boasting about Luckymama's offer to transport a few of us from the airport and how that made it possible for me to actually sign up and feel totally relaxed about it!!!

I'll bring the carseat, just double-checked. I'd be happy to know you wouldn't mind freecycling it since dd will be a lapsitter on the plane. And, Colleen, I'll edit my post tomorrow then!! Thanks for the heads-up.

High academic achievement (and particular the book-centered kind of achievement recommended by classical educators) often seems designed for one kind of student: the mature, self-directed, disciplined child who loves to read. In this workshop, learn how to deal with the other 90% of students. Includes practical strategies for dealing with roadblocks in the way of academic achievement, as well as time-tested advice for teaching to your child’s strengths while still addressing weaknesses. Susan Wise Bauer, classical educator, college instructor, and author, was home schooled herself and has homeschooled her own four real children, now aged 10-19 (the oldest is now at university).

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 5-8--before that ninth-grade year begins. How can you be sure that you’re handling the transition from elementary learning to more complicated studies properly? What do you do when your child resists? What should you do in the seventh and eighth-grade years to make sure that your student is ready for high school? Includes suggested milestones for each year and subject, as well as practical suggestions for catching up and covering material that may have been missed.

How do I beg on-line for these seminars? My initial reaction to them was a spontaneous prayer, "Oh, please, God, please." My 3 sons are all of those things except non-book loving. And the eldest 2 are in 7th and 5th grades and I'm sure they'll never be ready for high school, college, or life.