Menu

Public school kindergarteners to get iPads

Wow, yeah, that's going to be disappointing when they end up dropped, colored on, at the bottom of the sandbox, etc. I get really worried about our future when I see public schools scrambling frantically all. the. time. to keep from "falling behind." It's just this never ending panic that costs a TON of money and never has good, long-term outcomes.

I just ordered an I-Pad for my 3 yo ds. There are a lot of apps for autistic children I think he would like. I'm guessing in a classroom the I-Pads will probably only be used in a designated space. I doubt they would have the kids carry them around. I see I missed the part of them going home. I think that is a terrible idea and will likely result in a lot getting stolen.

I plan to get ds's I-Pad an Otterbox cover as soon as they are available for I-Pad 2. He will also likely always be supervised while using it.

No, I don't think young children "need" gadgets. Perhaps access to a computer lab at school, but even that is not necessary at that age.

My 11 yo niece (5th grade) was given a MacBook laptop from her well-to-do school district). Everyone in her class got one. It is interesting to see the discrepancies in districts. The district I live in is very poor and struggles to provide basic supplies to children.

"After students, teachers and parents go through iPad orientations, students will be allowed to take the computers home, Morrill said."

iPad orientation? The kids will have these things figured out in minutes. :laugh:

I think they can be fabulous tools - and that's all I'm gonna say because I know that the majority opinion on THIS particular board is going to be against this. :p

Yeah, that'll work. :glare:

We have tried to drill math facts on the ipod. What usually happens is my son gets bored and starts opening other apps or playing games. I guess if you have a less distractible / more disciplined child it might work, but the thought that it will require less supervision is naive.

Geez, how about buying those kids some unit blocks and playdoh. It would probably cost a few hundred dollars instead of $200,000 and it would lay a great foundation for math and writing. I was just reading that in some NYC schools the kids take Yoga and Mandarin in preschool but need OT for writing because they've hardly ever played with playdoh. This sounds like its pointing more kids in that direction.

I'm not a technophobe: I have a computer science degree, we love Starfall, and I can't tell you how much I love iPhone apps when we are stuck in a waiting room, but there are far better uses for tax payer money. Traditional Kindergarten tools work fantastically well and cost very little.

I'm a huge proponent of serious academics in upper elementary and beyond, but I love the idea of those forest Kindergartens where kids spend most of their day outdoors. I thought most people figured fresh air and lots of play was good for little kids, but reading articles this makes me wonder how far outside of the mainstream my beliefs are. :confused:

Edited by RoundAbout

that is giving iPads to the elementary students. I think it's a huge waste. I'm not against technology, but kids can play with their computers at home. More time and energy should be spent on real learning, not flashy toys. It's all done to impress the parents and make it seem like the school is on the cutting edge. High Schools need the latest and best in technology. That is where kids need to learn how it all works, and how to best use it. For the kids in K today, iPads, at least ones like we have now, will be a relic by the time they get to middle school.

I think they can be fabulous tools - and that's all I'm gonna say because I know that the majority opinion on THIS particular board is going to be against this. :p

:iagree: I totally agree with this comment. I am just concerned that providing them to such young children is a pretty expensive experiment. I think it would be better to have a couple in each classroom for classroom use only and see how effective they are in teaching children. Of course, that would require the teacher collecting and tracking data which would add to the teacher burden. And the district mentioned in the article did not seem interested in hiring additional help, which is too bad.

They can be terrific tools for children with special needs. I have been using our iPad with my son who has autism. However, I discovered him surfing around on YouTube yesterday. :glare: So I had to set the controls so he can't do that. That is just one potential problem with any gadget. :lol:

It's not that the iPads are bad. It's that they are unnecessary. Right now, in this economy, you need to focus on the necessary. And unfortunately, the necessary often gets dropped while the unnecessary is focused on.

Exactly. In our area, many teachers are getting pink slips. Are Ipads truly necessary? Nope.