Menu

If you want a truly inclusive convention

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dulcimeramy

I just saw the half dozen posts above mine talking about The Journey. That is perfect.

Brain still ticking away, here....

.....journey....deliberate....capable....loving....parents.....children....learning......lifelong...

Maybe we can come up with a short mission statement for inclusive homeschooling, after all.

intentional

conscious

purposeful

I like "inclusive homeschooling," too. And the adjectives above are my favorites. My husband and I usually say we try to practice "intentional parenting," meaning that we try to make conscious choices for our children as we go along, rather than moving through the days on auto-pilot.

Would a convention focused on academics be of interest to unschoolers? Or would Latin, classical education, unit studies, math programs etc be seen as stiffling?

I can't speak for that group, but I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the booths with art/play supplies and manipulatives at my first (and only... now that Philly's canceled) convention, and I'd love to see more of that.

Speaker-wise, I'd even enjoy hearing a seminar on unschooling for some tips to incorporate into our household.

My first choices as an *attendee* would be the Latin, classical, math, transcript, rigorous offerings, but I do think there's plenty of room and cross-interest for the unschooling style.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Coming in way late here. Someone just tell me what to do. I haven't read all the posts and I'm 10 minutes from being behind today so I wont be able to until much much later today.

Chucki, if you get a minute, spruce up your blog or start one about how your family homeschools. It might be linked on the upcoming website.

If that's not your style, consider writing a short article about an aspect of homeschooling that means the most to you.

If that's not your style either, sock away your butter and egg money for when Carrie gets a paypal account for the website.

If you have no butter and egg money, go to Facebook and 'like' Susan Wise Bauer. Tell all your friends how wonderful PHP is so they'll buy something.

Lastly, check back here by the end of the day. I have a feeling that someone is going to be brilliant. (Not me. I was brilliant yesterday.)

Strike 'discriminating'. Too many negative connotations, imo.

:iagree: I understand the sentiment behind it, but I think that particular word might not work well for this group.

I'm lurking and listening... I'm in Kansas, if I can help at all out this way. I know of all of one homeschooling family, so not sure how much help I can be.

Would something like this work???

Journey with other homeschoolers on the diverse path of releasing the inner potential of every child to the max!

Homeschooling - Releasing the potential of every child to the best of their ability

Homeschooling to produce the best adults possible regardless of which journey we take!

Then maybe define journey as the many paths of homeschooling and redirect to that awesome family page that shows the many ways????

Feel free to ignore or greatly improve!!!

I do so hope we can make this work. I'm a conservative Christian that is too liberal for the hamites, too conservative for the seculars, and too rigorous for the unschoolers. I so want a group that says Who cares! Jump in and have a good time!

I have been lurking all morning on this topic and there are way too many good ideas for me to quote, so I'll just say that I think that this could be a great idea.

I have never gone to a convention, nor have I participated in any homeschool groups because I just haven't run into one yet that truly is inclusive. I am not religious, per se, yet I don't like the religion bashing that comes from some of the "inclusive" groups - so we have just stayed away altogether.

We are also military, so the constant moving around sometimes makes things difficult.

But I do think something like this website could be helpful in both respects, and I would love to help out in some way.

I like the idea of the articles (seems like there would need to be a sort of editing panel who would need to at least filter through the submissions to make sure they truly are "inclusive" and also just to figure out what to post and where it fits on the site.) I for one would love to see articles from every type of homeschooler from unschoolers to strictly classical. I have done a little writing in this area. It is a little more difficult trying to include everyone's different homeschooling philosophy into an article like "How to Choose Curriculum - for Newbies", but it can be done.

I like the idea about trying to link to local groups who want to align to our "inclusive" standards - I have heard about (but not been exposed to) some of the military homeschooling groups that are "inclusive" in the way we are talking about - they all go about it differently, but because they are homeschoolers and in this military thing together, they make it work. I would love to hear from groups like this - so that we can start these groups on every base/post. It is definitely needed!

I also really like Sebastian's idea about brining in all types of home-learning aspects in a convention - including the virtual and correspondence schools, unschoolers, etc... because even on this board it seems like most of us are fairly eclectic in our practices. I would think that in the general homeschool public, people use a mix of many different things and most are open to new and exciting ideas. This is one I might make a trip for.

Another inclusive conference - InHome in the Chicago 'burbs. This is a non-profit conference put on by a volunteer committee. They are looking for volunteers and presenters.

BTW, I am looking for a couple experienced homeschooling moms (as in those who have homeschooled a high-school aged kid) who would like to do a panel-discussion type workshop on homeschooling high school. PM me if you are interested.

Here's an idea, and it might not work, especially right away, but it's something I've been pondering.

What if we got together a sort of panel-- unschoolers, classicals, textbooks, eclectic, CM, everyone, and any religion or no religion is acceptable, to make complete, unbiased, academic reviews of various curricula. Sort of the TOS's Crew, but, well, more inclusive. ;-) I personally would much rather see a fellow homeschool mom's review of a product than any publisher, or academic out there.

I think it's probably way too early to tackle at this very moment, but I'm really interested in exploring the idea of getting hs publishers/curricula writers to advertise by category.

Need classical product? These companies support our mission.

Need YEC product? These companies support our mission.

Need secular science? These companies support our mission.

Need booze? Well, I don't think you can do that over the internet.

Of course, that means settling on official words for our mission. :)

It's probably a good idea to have a general resource list in addition to that, but if we could get people to specifically support the concept of "We have our particular view, this is our product, our product does/does not depend on that view, we'd be pleased to have your business," that would be pretty cool.

I think it's probably way too early to tackle at this very moment, but I'm really interested in exploring the idea of getting hs publishers/curricula writers to advertise by category.

It's probably a good idea to have a general resource list in addition to that, but if we could get people to specifically support the concept of "We have our particular view, this is our product, our product does/does not depend on that view, we'd be pleased to have your business," that would be pretty cool.

I like this

Would a convention focused on academics be of interest to unschoolers? Or would Latin, classical education, unit studies, math programs etc be seen as stiffling?

I would submit that *all of the above* would be at an inclusive convention. It would be like a cafeteria and if the booth applies to you, stop. If it doesn't, move on. :) But...don't stop and tell the ones who are there why they shouldn't be there. ;)

Guest Dulcimeramy

I love the idea of reviews by veteran homeschool moms, kchara.

Do we need to get the ball rolling with leadership? Half a dozen people have mentioned that *somebody* is going to have to filter content and keep things on-mission.

If I were the nominating type, I'd nominate Mrs. Mungo for something-or-other on the Inclusive Homeschooling advisory board (or whatever we call it, if we have one). She is fair-minded and sensible, which is the highest praise I can give anyone.

Obviously, Carrie1234 gets the Gumption Award for starting this thread and starting the website. A leader by definition.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I would submit that *all of the above* would be at an inclusive convention. It would be like a cafeteria and if the booth applies to you, stop. If it doesn't, move on. :) But...don't stop and tell the ones who are there why they shouldn't be there. ;)

Exactly!

A related point, also mentioned in those documents, is that we believe justice requires governments to assist parents in educating their children, even if the parents choose homeschooling or a faith-based school. In the US context, this means that we're generally in favor of voucher programs, and we don't share the automatic hostility that many homeschoolers have toward public charter ISP's. Not that most families use them, but quite a few do, and I've never heard of anyone being denied membership in a Catholic homeschool group over this.

So, here is the thing from a conviction standpoint. Can you work on these issue separately, within your church or via another avenue and feel comfortable joining a group that prefers less legislation? Can you get together to see a play, do park days, support each other with "what do you do for science" meetings and have a difference on this conviction?

I don't recall seeing public charters mentioned in this thread, but it seems as if any "inclusive" group is going to have to make a decision on that issue. :001_huh:

The groups I have been involved in for the last few years have included public charter school families.

I wouldn't be any more comfortable at a conference that was trying to exclude homeschoolers of faith than I was interested in browsing booths that wanted to tell me that their stamp was required on my Christianity or on my homeschooling.

I don't think anyone wants to include Christianity, many of us are Christians of various flavors.

Some vendors that I noticed were not represented at GHC included TOG (though I think they might have had a scheduling conflict), Veritas Press and Emmanuel Books (Cincinnati is very Catholic, so this one stuck out to me).

I don't like VP's err...stamp on things. So, I wouldn't go see them or buy from them. But, I wouldn't automatically exclude them. I wonder if some of these who do believe in a particular brand of Christianity (like VP, not ToG) exclude themselves from even inclusive Christian conferences and that's why you didn't see them there.

Another topic that I missed seeing (not sure if I just missed it or if it wasn't there) was representatives from non-religious colleges that have long standing correspondence options (e.g. University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and other prairie schools that have been doing correspondence for decades). There was nothing about Stanford and EGPY. There was nothing about using open courseware like what is available at MIT and other ivies or through iTunes U. I didn't see anyone representing the possibility of doing dual enrollment at a community college (though that may have been because the conference draws from a wider region).

Great ideas.

I will be the first to admit that John Holt was a reason that I started homeschooling. Ending up in a classical model is probably somewhat the opposite of that idea. However, it doesn't *have* to be the opposite in all things. TWTM's method of science in the early grades is sort of a unit studies or discovery method. I think it would be good to have all sorts of ideas represented because I think you can take ideas from lots of people and apply them to your own school/kids.

I like the idea about trying to link to local groups who want to align to our "inclusive" standards - I have heard about (but not been exposed to) some of the military homeschooling groups that are "inclusive" in the way we are talking about - they all go about it differently, but because they are homeschoolers and in this military thing together, they make it work. I would love to hear from groups like this - so that we can start these groups on every base/post. It is definitely needed!

I have been involved in some pretty inclusive groups in the past, and in my experience they work well when you focus on field trips, art classes and park days vs. academic co-ops.

sharing

learning

growing

mind-expanding

personally accountable

flexible

intentional

conscious

purposeful

studied

attentive

discriminating (eliminated)

So...looking at other posts too for ideas...do we want to say something like this (not this, exactly, because it's a little clunky) as a mission statement?

Parents supporting each other on a shared journey of educating their children?

Parents sharing the journey of educating their children?

We could have t-shirts that say "I won't shun you." :001_smile:

How about "Freak flag wavers of the world UNITE"?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I kid...sorta...

Anyway, I am really enjoying this discussion! Thank you to Carrie and the others who are bursting with ideas. This is gonna be awesome!!!!

Oh, I like this a lot! AFA the booze... you'd be amazed what you could do over the internet. ;):D

Getting people who love various products might be the best way to start out with that. If we can get a good site running, then advertisers will come.

Booze, we could always ask Mike's if they are interested in advertising, lol.

Good point. I buy from lots of different companies. My student planners come from Queen Homeschool Supply. I'm not a CM hser, and their religious view is a little different from my own. The planners are just what I needed. They also carry Real Science 4 Kids, Life of Fred and other programs that are used by a wide variety of hsers.

Since I haven't been to a convention, this is how I would hope they would be... many, many vendors ... I can stop and look at their booth, but if their product does not apply to me, I would move on. Why couldn't there be a classical curriculum in between a representative from EPGY and someone who sells nature study programs? I would love to have that kind of choice.

This is a good idea. I am someone who looks at all of these different companies and then chooses what I think will work for us, but it would be nice to have them all lumped together, so to speak.

You know, I think I've been looking at this a little wrong. You know how Susan has that Joy of Classical Education lecture? How can we incorporate the joy of home educating? Those times when you think "wow, we are on fire with learning, this is great!"

I like all of the adjectives, but I think they belong in a longer...creed(?) or something. I think for a mission statement we need something more *exciting*. Because it IS great when you see the light bulb turn on. I live for those moments!

Dulcimeramy's list is great, I agree! :)

As far as purpose, I think it can start as a clearinghouse for information and articles. I think its *larger* purpose (if we can get there) would be to:

1. Get a seat at the table with the conservative groups that currently meet with politicians and so forth. I am concerned that some groups work homeschooling as a freedom of religion issue.

2. Start inclusive homeschool groups in our areas.

3. Give points of contact for above groups.

If the words freedom in/of education, or similar, were somewhere on the site would it raise anyones hackles? Is this a bad idea?

Edited by Flux

Yeah...I think we need a specific mission.

I would think, by definition, being an inclusive group would mean that we don't endorse actual products. Provide opportunity for extensive reviews? Yes. Say that this or that product supports *our* mission...hmmm...I'm seeing a contradiction there.

If the words freedom in/of education, or similar, were somewhere on the site would it raise anyones hackles? Is this a bad idea?

I like "Freedom of Education!"

It's going to raise hackles in PS die hard supporters (Teacher's Unions)...but maybe that's not a bad thing.:D

I would think, by definition, being an inclusive group would mean that we don't endorse actual products. Provide opportunity for extensive reviews? Yes. Say that this or that product supports *our* mission...hmmm...I'm seeing a contradiction there.

Excellent point

I think I like "Freedom in Education."

Yeah...I think we need a specific mission.

:iagree: I think something *like* "supporting parents and kids in their educational journey," but better, more on fire, more alive, but conveys that message. Ideas?

I agree. I think you can say: here are YEC science programs and some discussion from moms who have used them, here are OEC science programs, here are some neutral science programs, here are some secular programs.

Okay. I'm learning I'm not as helpless as I let myself think, and that adding admins is as simple as opening a tab I hadn't explored yet. :tongue_smilie:

Obviously, dozens of people futzing around with things simultaneously is a bad idea, but we're going to need more than just me handling that end, because I really don't know all that much and I'm basically just one person with a big mouth. So... Who's game?

Guest Dulcimeramy

I totally agree about extensive reviewing but not endorsing. I want to go to inclusivehomeschooling.com and hear about a wide range of stuff.

I stand by what I said in the current thread about inappropriate content in SWB's high school/adult history books: The buck stops with the parent. Nobody should be spoon-feeding and hand-holding, telling people who they can trust and where they should spend their money. That should go for our site, too.

We can use our reviews to highlight our favorite authors and publishers, and make note of those who have offerings suitable for diverse families.

I would love to help in some small way. (My life right now is not conducive to large projects.) I have training as an illustrator, if that skill would come in handy. I could try my hand at a logo, or designs for t-shirts and bumper stickers or something. (I'd need help brainstorming what the designs should be/say, however, as I'm feeling rather brain-dead lately.)

I'm in Utah, and although I have not been super invovled with other local homeschoolers, I have noticed that Utah has two homeschool organizations that offer conventions. One is for Christian homeschoolers (UTCH) ,and the other seems more inclusive (UHEA). Possibly this new Inclusive Homeschoolers organization could seek out and support inclusive groups that are already in existence by helping them get the big name exhibitors at their conventions and whatnot?

So, here is the thing from a conviction standpoint. Can you work on these issue separately, within your church or via another avenue and feel comfortable joining a group that prefers less legislation? Can you get together to see a play, do park days, support each other with "what do you do for science" meetings and have a difference on this conviction?

Of course we can have a difference on this conviction. But I'm not so sure about your reference to "a group that prefers less legislation." If this is an official group policy, and especially if it's put into practice in some sort of activism, then it's imposing those convictions on those of us who disagree.

It would be sort of like starting a support group for medical issues, but having a group policy of lobbying against state involvement in health care. Then those people who supported some amount of state involvement would be told that they could promote that cause on their own. Well, fine, but the group has already put its members' resources toward promoting the opposing point of view. Endorsing a libertarian ideology (for lack of a better word) isn't the same as just remaining neutral.

I tend to think it would be more feasible just to stick with the focus on academics and the diversity of homeschooling methods, and leave the politics out entirely. (ETA: meaning, as an official group position. I think it would be fine to have a forum to discuss different views on these issues.)

Edited by Eleanor

Great point. But, to clarify, is it a point of technicality, or a point of overall bad idea? Because I do think this monstrous idea is headed toward some sort of concrete organization that has the potential to need at least a small piece of reliable financial backing.

Like I said, that isn't necessarily something that has to be addressed immediately.

Actually, I think that is a good thing to ponder...The Journey. And each one will be different for each kid. :)

FWIW, I have frequently used an analogy of food and cooking when explaining homeschooling liberties to non-homeschoolers. Most people can recognize good cooking. And most will also admit that food doesn't have to be prepared by a professional chef to be good (in the sense of flavorful, nurturing, fun and healthy). Or even that sometimes food prepared by professionals is lacking in many qualities (think of a chain restaurant).

Maybe the analogy can also extend to homeschooling choice. We homeschoolers have all chosen to direct education at home (like home cooking), but the content of our meals will vary according to our tastes, dietary restrictions (religious, philosophical or medical), income, foodway traditions and other factors. There are many ways of preparing nutritious and comforting meals. They don't have to be the same. We can learn from each other even when we are not exact copies of each other. Fusion is possible (Japanese curries, American sushi or eclectic homeschooling). If you are gathering together to share information on how to prepare food, the whys of specific selections don't have to be the same (ie, You could want to produce a great vegetarian meal for Lent or because you are Vegan. I might want to learn to bake bread to produce lots for economic reasons, to keep HFCS out of our diet or because I really like crunchy loaves of bread.)

Not sure how to convey that. I have learned some good attitudes from a couple unschooling friends, even while thinking that it is not for us (and might not be the best choice for them to make). But not thinking unschooling is the best option doesn't mean I turn my back on my friend when she is telling me of a cool field trip option. That would only spite our own homeschooling options.

How about "Homeschooling: A Smorgasbord of Options"? Or would that exclude the non-Scandanavians?:D

Guest Dulcimeramy
Great point. But, to clarify, is it a point of technicality, or a point of overall bad idea? Because I do think this monstrous idea is headed toward some sort of concrete organization that has the potential to need at least a small piece of reliable financial backing.

Like I said, that isn't necessarily something that has to be addressed immediately.

Carrie, how do you feel about advertisements on the site to raise some $$? And a paypal button, of course.

I would say *overall bad idea*. Once you allow money to come into play, the party handing over the money feels they have *rights*. So, what are we going to do if we end up with someone who wants to advertise and then use it for a platform. kwim?

Just a thought.

I agree, finances are an issue. It is beyond tight around here...so...understand completely.

ELEANOR...I see your point about the political activism.

I would love to help in some small way. (My life right now is not conducive to large projects.) I have training as an illustrator, if that skill would come in handy. I could try my hand at a logo, or designs for t-shirts and bumper stickers or something. (I'd need help brainstorming what the designs should be/say, however, as I'm feeling rather brain-dead lately.)

I don't have a knack for writing or anything like that. I would be willing to help "backstage" so to speak. The only other thing I'm good at is photography, lol.

Photography and illustrating are not small talents!

Of course we can have a difference on this conviction. But I'm not so sure about your reference to "a group that prefers less legislation." If this is an official group policy, and especially if it's put into practice in some sort of activism, then it's imposing those convictions on those of us who disagree.

It would be sort of like starting a support group for medical issues, but having a group policy of lobbying against state involvement in health care. Then those people who supported some amount of state involvement would be told that they could promote that cause on their own. Well, fine, but the group has already put its members' resources toward promoting the opposing point of view. Endorsing a libertarian ideology (for lack of a better word) isn't the same as just remaining neutral.

I tend to think it would be more feasible just to stick with the focus on academics and the diversity of homeschooling methods, and leave the politics out entirely. (ETA: meaning, as an official group position. I think it would be fine to have a forum to discuss different views on these issues.)

Ack! To be lumped in with a libertarian way of thinking, lol!!

Here is the thing, I am very concerned that only the evangelical position is being represented in some states. Instead of representing a specific position, can we just represent the position that homeschoolers hold diverse opinions and that we seek to represent that fact to politicians?

Carrie, how do you feel about advertisements on the site to raise some $$? And a paypal button, of course.

I think you can seek advertising without "endorsing" a specific curriculum or company.

FWIW, I have frequently used an analogy of food and cooking when explaining homeschooling liberties to non-homeschoolers. Most people can recognize good cooking. And most will also admit that food doesn't have to be prepared by a professional chef to be good (in the sense of flavorful, nurturing, fun and healthy). Or even that sometimes food prepared by professionals is lacking in many qualities (think of a chain restaurant).

Maybe the analogy can also extend to homeschooling choice. We homeschoolers have all chosen to direct education at home (like home cooking), but the content of our meals will vary according to our tastes, dietary restrictions (religious, philosophical or medical), income, foodway traditions and other factors. There are many ways of preparing nutritious and comforting meals. They don't have to be the same. We can learn from each other even when we are not exact copies of each other. Fusion is possible (Japanese curries, American sushi or eclectic homeschooling). If you are gathering together to share information on how to prepare food, the whys of specific selections don't have to be the same (ie, You could want to produce a great vegetarian meal for Lent or because you are Vegan. I might want to learn to bake bread to produce lots for economic reasons, to keep HFCS out of our diet or because I really like crunchy loaves of bread.)

Not sure how to convey that. I have learned some good attitudes from a couple unschooling friends, even while thinking that it is not for us (and might not be the best choice for them to make). But not thinking unschooling is the best option doesn't mean I turn my back on my friend when she is telling me of a cool field trip option. That would only spite our own homeschooling options.

How about "Homeschooling: A Smorgasbord of Options"? Or would that exclude the non-Scandanavians?:D

*I* think this creates a great word picture

I would say *overall bad idea*. Once you allow money to come into play, the party handing over the money feels they have *rights*. So, what are we going to do if we end up with someone who wants to advertise and then use it for a platform. kwim?

I think maybe a way to start out would be to have people start writing reviews in various categories. Then, you can seek out some of those companies. You can contact gravitas and see if they want to advertise on a neutral science curricula review page. You can name curricula without providing links. Then, RR or gravitas or Queen or whomever carries those products could potentially advertise in that space. Does that make sense? It's advertising, providing information as to suppliers without endorsing or providing a platform. Would that work?

Guest Dulcimeramy
I think maybe a way to start out would be to have people start writing reviews in various categories. Then, you can seek out some of those companies. You can contact gravitas and see if they want to advertise on a neutral science curricula review page. You can name curricula without providing links. Then, RR or gravitas or Queen or whomever carries those products could potentially advertise in that space. Does that make sense? It's advertising, providing information as to suppliers without endorsing or providing a platform. Would that work?

That's kind of what I had in mind. This takes a level of courage that is new in modern homeschooling, but isn't that the point? Homeschooling is big enough for all. We can have differing, strong viewpoints on the same website and still respect each other in the morning.

Or something like that.

I guess you find out if a company is sympathetic to inclusive homeschooling when you ask them if they want to advertise on inclusivehomeschooling.com. Some won't want anything to do with us because we allow this or that other publisher. I call that self-selection.

Setting up advertising space within reviews is a way to begin to highlight those who do think there is room for others at the table.

Here is the thing, I am very concerned that only the evangelical position is being represented in some states. Instead of representing a specific position, can we just represent the position that homeschoolers hold diverse opinions and that we seek to represent that fact to politicians?

That sounds all right to me. :) I'm sure there are some homeschoolers who are opposed to even acknowledging that we have diverse opinions, but I suspect that they would run miles from an inclusive group anyway. :auto:

Sorry too many pages to get through during lunch so I just wanted to add my thoughts and hopefully they haven't been stated already...

I would love to see the website link to major contributors to major thoughts on Homeschool methodolagy. IE link to montessori, waldorf, charlotte mason, the well-trained mind, the core, unschooling ect (those are just the ones I can think of). This way people can research about homeschooling and the variety of methods. It can also show inclusiveness of homeschool thought.