Menu

Being a passenger with a kid learning to drive?

Here at our school in PA it is just one student and the instructor. It used to be more way back when, so I do think the law has changed - at least in our state or at least with our school (or perhaps schools in general - due to insurance perhaps?). With the saving money kick, I can't see them making a change like that without having been forced to do so.

It hasn't changed. Passengers are only restricted based on the number of seatbelts.

http://education4drivers.com/pennsylvania/permit-restrictions-rules.htm

Pennsylvania Driving Permit Restrictions - Under 18

As mentioned above, the licensing procedure for teenagers is governed by the graduated license laws and the same laws dictate what restrictions you will need to observe. Just like with drivers who are older than 18 years, you will have to take a permit exam before you can be issued with your Pennsylvania drivers permit, however, the list of restrictions you will need to observe is a bit more lengthy.

Supervised driving only. Whenever you get out on the road, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old or a parent, legal guardian or a spouse who is at least 18 years of age. Needless to say, the supervisor must have a valid drivers license.

Curfew. If you get out on the road between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., the supervising driver must be your parent, legal guardian or a spouse.

Passenger restrictions. The number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of seatbelts the vehicle is equipped with.

My dd (age 15) recently got her learner's permit. I don't even allow her siblings in the car with us while she is practicing her driving. She needs to have no distractions of passengers (besides me) at this point. It will be a long time before she will be driving with anyone but me or her dad in the car. We don't have the radio on, either. Right now, she is learning the basics. In time, she will need to practice with passengers in the car, the radio on, etc...but not at the beginning.

Why would he want to do that?

The dad was taking them, our son included to get their haircut. I didn't know about this until after the fact. My opinion is that it was unwise of the dad to do this. DH and I are still talking this through especially as it relates to talking with the other dad. He may not have considered all that you guys had posted about the negatives of this. He was just trying to get "those hours" in, multi-tasking.

My experience is that until you have kids at driving age...you don't really necessarily know how you will respond. I was sure I would never let my kids drive with other teenagers, ever. But I do. Because its convenient- but, we are strict about it- we have to know the person, meet them, dh talks to them. They can't just get a lift home with anyone.

Dd and ds have both driven with dd's best friend while she was learning to drive. Her mum did tell me- afterwards- but I was ok with it because this young woman had been driving for quite a while and I trusted that the mum wouldnt have let her drive other kids unless she felt confident her daughter was confident enough to drive them.

I would not let a beginner driver drive my kids. Heck, I don't even let my son drive with us - dd16 is learning to drive but ds15 is a nervous wreck and the once he came with us when she was driving, he was so nervous it was awful. So its just her and I until she is a competent driver.

I wouldn't let an 11yo drive with a friend's sibling if they were just beginning to learn to drive. But maybe...sometimes...if they were comfortable driving and just hadn't got their license yet.

Its a really tricky area to navigate and I have found that absolutes haven't really worked. I am behaving differently with my own kids to how I thought I would around the whole issue- but it feels right for us.

It hasn't changed. Passengers are only restricted based on the number of seatbelts.

http://education4drivers.com/pennsylvania/permit-restrictions-rules.htm

Pennsylvania Driving Permit Restrictions - Under 18

As mentioned above, the licensing procedure for teenagers is governed by the graduated license laws and the same laws dictate what restrictions you will need to observe. Just like with drivers who are older than 18 years, you will have to take a permit exam before you can be issued with your Pennsylvania drivers permit, however, the list of restrictions you will need to observe is a bit more lengthy.

Supervised driving only. Whenever you get out on the road, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old or a parent, legal guardian or a spouse who is at least 18 years of age. Needless to say, the supervisor must have a valid drivers license.

Curfew. If you get out on the road between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., the supervising driver must be your parent, legal guardian or a spouse.

Passenger restrictions. The number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of seatbelts the vehicle is equipped with.

Yes, but like I said in my post, I KNOW our school wouldn't have changed policy without a reason. We're deep into budget cuts and nothing is getting expanded. Most things (including teaching positions) are being cut. I suspect, if not legal, the reason had to do with insurance. The policy changed about 5 years ago (as best I can recall). I can try to ask if I see the Driver's Ed guy this week. The same guy has been teaching kids for years.

In any case, I've already mentioned my thoughts. My guys don't take anyone else other than siblings (and not even them at the beginning) and they aren't allowed to ride with anyone without a real license due to the risk. I've been there, done that, and can't imagine doing things differently without an emergency type of reason. But as always, to each our own.

There are teens that die here every year due to reckless or careless driving. Our school buried one last year - and it wasn't the driver. Two other passengers have lifelong injuries. The girl that was driving hasn't been back to school since. A nearby school district buried 4 teen guys this year. Our paper lists police reports. I often see teens I know from school in it due to their driving and minor accidents. It's risky enough even without the "beginner" aspect.

Maybe due to teaching I just know too many and I see more of the risk. Nameless people in the paper often don't have the same mental response to us.

Yes, but like I said in my post, I KNOW our school wouldn't have changed policy without a reason. We're deep into budget cuts and nothing is getting expanded. Most things (including teaching positions) are being cut. I suspect, if not legal, the reason had to do with insurance. The policy changed about 5 years ago (as best I can recall). I can try to ask if I see the Driver's Ed guy this week. The same guy has been teaching kids for years.

In any case, I've already mentioned my thoughts. My guys don't take anyone else other than siblings (and not even them at the beginning) and they aren't allowed to ride with anyone without a real license due to the risk. I've been there, done that, and can't imagine doing things differently without an emergency type of reason. But as always, to each our own.

There are teens that die here every year due to reckless or careless driving. Our school buried one last year - and it wasn't the driver. Two other passengers have lifelong injuries. The girl that was driving hasn't been back to school since. A nearby school district buried 4 teen guys this year. Our paper lists police reports. I often see teens I know from school in it due to their driving and minor accidents. It's risky enough even without the "beginner" aspect.

Maybe due to teaching I just know too many and I see more of the risk. Nameless people in the paper often don't have the same mental response to us.

You are making a safe choice. However, I have to question one thing about your post. Those accidents, they are happening with teen drivers who who have their licenses, or are they with kids who are driving with learner's permits who have a parent in the car? If it is licenses, most states DO have graduated license programs to keep large numbers of teens from being in the car together. (Not that the kids follow them.) These are two totally different situations. That is why even the waiver on the law for licensed drivers allows more passengers when an adult is in the car.

I am only pointing this out because your information is misleading and skewing what is going on. Other than that, I have posted on this thread only because people are spreading so much misinformation. (I really don't care whether people allow their kids to ride with beginning drivers at all. I have not let my kids ride with other kids before. In fact, mine know which friends they are allowed to get in the car with. It is a specific list based on the driving and personalities that I see. It has a whole lot to do with the individual and what I have actually witnessed on the road.) Mostly, I just can't stand people putting out totally wrong information. I haven't gone back to count, but there are numerous posts saying that it is illegal. The only state I checked that I found it to be even possibly illegal was Colorado. I don't think it is illegal there, but their requirements are a bit confusing. I didn't actually find anything that mentioned passengers in the learner's permit section. Not mentioned would mean it is legal, but the way one statement about the instructor was written could possibly be interpreted that way. It could also be interpreted to mean that the only adult in the front passenger seat had to be from specific people. They also have so many different permits that it is a lot to wade through.

I know that in Texas, there can be multiple nonrelated kids as passengers in the car while a kid with just a permit is driving, so long as a supervising adult (at least 21 with a license) is in the front seat with the student driver. This is in phase 1.

Phase 2 (starts when you get your license) allows no more than one nonrelated passenger under the age of 21. It doesn't have a limit for the number of related passengers under 21. This applies for the 12 months immediately following the license.

After that, there aren't any passenger limits.

link to Texas DPS site with the rules:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/graduateddriver.htm

As I've said, I had my oldest driving the whole family around while she was still on her permit. I was in the front seat next to her. It was only after many hours of driving practice.

Now she drives my youngest to her sewing class every week and drives herself to her cc classes every day. She has taken both of her sisters to the mall before. They don't have anything bad to say about her driving and they definitely WOULD say something about it. I know that she drives well with me in the car, but I really wasn't sure how she would drive without me in the car.

My experience is that until you have kids at driving age...you don't really necessarily know how you will respond. I was sure I would never let my kids drive with other teenagers, ever. But I do. Because its convenient- but, we are strict about it- we have to know the person, meet them, dh talks to them. They can't just get a lift home with anyone.

Dd and ds have both driven with dd's best friend while she was learning to drive. Her mum did tell me- afterwards- but I was ok with it because this young woman had been driving for quite a while and I trusted that the mum wouldnt have let her drive other kids unless she felt confident her daughter was confident enough to drive them.

I would not let a beginner driver drive my kids. Heck, I don't even let my son drive with us - dd16 is learning to drive but ds15 is a nervous wreck and the once he came with us when she was driving, he was so nervous it was awful. So its just her and I until she is a competent driver.

I wouldn't let an 11yo drive with a friend's sibling if they were just beginning to learn to drive. But maybe...sometimes...if they were comfortable driving and just hadn't got their license yet.

Its a really tricky area to navigate and I have found that absolutes haven't really worked. I am behaving differently with my own kids to how I thought I would around the whole issue- but it feels right for us.

:iagree: I think the assumption here is that you have a student driver how is still starting and stopping with a jerk. I had my learner's permit for three years (didn't bother to get my license). By the time I actually got my license I'd already been commuting to a job that was an hour away for a few months. I was still a student driver, but you would have never known it.

I didn't allow my own children in the car with DSS when he was first learning to drive. Even after he had his license, it was several months before we let him take the younger two anywhere without one of us in the car. We waited until we felt he was responsible enough behind the wheel (and the state thought he was responsible long before we did).

Nope, I don't allow it. Ds16 is learning to drive and I do not allow anyone other than he and the teacher in the car. It is inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as him having an accident if he gets distracted.

here is TN for a license. having others is permitted, but there are restrictions.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/gdlfaq.htm#q6

and for learner's permit, here are restrictions

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/gdlfaq.htm#q4

Is it illegal to have unrelated passengers? maybe not. But it may not be a wise thing to do with a new driver on a permit for the driver's sake.

Also, in my state, once they get the 16 y.o license, it looks iffy about unrelated passengers who don't have their own license and all of that, so why start allowing it at one age and then have to take it away a year later?

laws are going to vary state to state.

-crystal

Oops, it looks like I was being overly restrictive and breaking the law. I let my teens drive with all their siblings and not just to/from school but I did not let them have any non-related passengers ever. If I was in the car, I drove.

Edited by KidsHappen

You are making a safe choice. However, I have to question one thing about your post. Those accidents, they are happening with teen drivers who who have their licenses, or are they with kids who are driving with learner's permits who have a parent in the car? If it is licenses, most states DO have graduated license programs to keep large numbers of teens from being in the car together. (Not that the kids follow them.) These are two totally different situations. That is why even the waiver on the law for licensed drivers allows more passengers when an adult is in the car.

My examples were reasons why I go further in my restriction of having my boys ride with other kids (non-siblings) in the car and vice versa within a year of getting their license - real or permit. Yes, PA does have laws regarding passengers in the "post license" time period, but kids often ignore the law. I don't know of any deadly accidents with a parent in the car, but I can think of fender benders.

I didn't read any post so I apologize ahead of time if I am repeating something.

You need to check with the laws in your state. Indiana law states that nobody is to be in the car with a student driver with the exception of the parent and the student's siblings. That goes up to the age of 18 yrs of age (or is it 17 1/2) not sure. It is a bit confusing because it all depends when the student got their liscence.

Lastly, I would NEVER EVER let my kids ride with somebody learning to drive. PERIOD!!! Not even if they have a bona fide liscense at the age of 16. I would prefer the "friend" would have their liscense for at least 1 1/2 years before my child can ride with him/her.

I didn't read any post so I apologize ahead of time if I am repeating something.

You need to check with the laws in your state. Indiana law states that nobody is to be in the car with a student driver with the exception of the parent and the student's siblings. That goes up to the age of 18 yrs of age (or is it 17 1/2) not sure. It is a bit confusing because it all depends when the student got their liscence.

Lastly, I would NEVER EVER let my kids ride with somebody learning to drive. PERIOD!!! Not even if they have a bona fide liscense at the age of 16. I would prefer the "friend" would have their liscense for at least 1 1/2 years before my child can ride with him/her.

Again, according to the law at the dmv for Indiana, this is not the case. There is no mention of passengers for a driver with a learner's permit. There are only restrictions on the restricted license they receive after the learner's permit. Even the passenger restrictions on the license are removed if a licensed driver over 21 is in the front passenger seat.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Drivers_Manual_Chapter_1a.pdf

http://www.drivinglaws.org/teen/indianat.php

Also, again, you are making a very safe choice. Just trying to keep misinformation from being spread.