Menu

Rehoming fish

The only rehoming of fish I've ever heard of is the Big Flush.

I cannot deny it, that was my first thought. But I am willing to follow a more responsible course of action as long as they are still alive.

It's tricky, though, since I personally would avoid taking someone else's fish due to the risk of upsetting the balance in my own aquarium. DD won't be too upset to see the fish go. She has announced her conclusion (in a whispered, fish-feeling-sparing kind of voice) that "fish really aren't very smart" and she is ready to move on to a lizard program. Or snake catch and release. Still, we need to try to find a humane solution for the current aquarium residents.

There are often fish & aquarium setups advertised on our local "used stuff" online classifieds - if the tank & gear has significant value, you could likely sell it. If not, post a "free to a good home: X fish in such&such tank" and you'll get a taker.. me, if you lived here! :laugh:

We gave our fish, tank and all, to some good friends when we moved. If that is not an option, because you want to keep the tank, how far are you moving? We've moved fish when moving short distances. Empty most of the water, but not all, and they can make the drive if it's not too long. I believe the longest we've done was 4 hours.....

If you are moving farther than that, we've done the flush thing, too. It wasn't fun, as live fish swim against the current trying to escape the flush. Perhaps a purchase of a small tank for a friend to take the fish, and you guys can keep the current tank? Then the fish are not upsetting the balance of any existing aquarium.

First I'd probably ask around and see if any friends/family want them.

If not, I'd probably let them go in a lake.....and pretend they have a fighting chance. I'm not sure I could flush them.

That is illegal in most places.

Try Craigslist and your local pet store. many times they will take left overs and quarentine them before reselling them.

I would put an ad on Craigslist or Freecycle. I often see people asking for fish on there.

BTW, I have a huge problem with the suggestions to flush them. I don't want to teach my children that living creatures that have been pets are disposable when we're tired of them or they become inconvenient.

Edited by mom2scouts

I would craigslist them, but we want to keep the equipment.

I am thinking that maybe a very small (thinking easy to move) plastic aquarium would on her bathroom counter. That way I could pack up the bigger one and still keep the critters.

I know I can't let them out in the neighborhood pond. As a former environmental educator, I've given too many lectures on non-indigenous species to feel comfortable doing that.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

First I'd probably ask around and see if any friends/family want them.

If not, I'd probably let them go in a lake.....and pretend they have a fighting chance. I'm not sure I could flush them.

I know what you mean, but releasing to the wild isn't a good idea. The everglades are full of pythons and parrots because of people releasing unwanted pets into the wild. Not that a couple of fish are likely to ruin an entire ecosystem, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Barb

[quote name=AuntieM;2582808

I know I can't let them out in the neighborhood pond. As a former environmental educator' date=' I've given too many lectures on non-indigenous species to feel comfortable doing that.

You beat me to it. And with better credentials.

Hmph.

Really? I didn't know that....why would it be illegal?

Because you're introducing something into an ecosystem. It's illegal in many places and unethical as well.

I don't get needing to rehome fish and then "upgrade" to a lizard. They're fish. It's not like they're too much work or something. I wouldn't let my kid "upgrade" if they didn't take care of the fish.

There was only one fish left in dh's saltwater aquarium when we returned after evacuating for Katrina and he decided he did not want to restock the aquarium. Also the power was still off so it most likely would have died before that came back on. A friend who was also interested in fish told him that the humane way to dispose of a fish is to put it in the freezer (or cooler with ice). I believe that they just go to sleep and never wake up.

I would put an ad on Craigslist or Freecycle. I often see people asking for fish on there.

BTW, I have a huge problem with the suggestions to flush them. I don't want to teach my children that living creatures that have been pets are disposable when we're tired of them or they become inconvenient.

Fish aren't dogs. They have short lifespans and are also food. You say tomato, I say tomahto.

We've had fish that have lived for many years, so I don't think their lifespans are all that short.

I would go ahead and try Craigslist because many people looking for fish already have aquariums and just want to add to their tanks. You could keep the equipment and send them home in a bag like they do at the pet store.

I just took 7 fish back to our local fish shop. I bought them all there, but they would have taken them in even if I hadn't. I'm not talking about Petland or something like that. Look in the phone book for your local Mom and Pop fish shop, let them know you are moving and they'll tell you what to do and when to bring them in.

Please, don't flush them. :(

DD has three fish in her bedroom aquarium. House going on the market soon. Options?

Before we left Hawaii we re-homed our fish by taking them to PetSmart. Three of the fish we had PetSmart does not sell. So, they put them in one of the tanks that has plants in it. One of the workers was going to take one home and they will sell the others.

Roosters and fish are food in this house. Probably why.:D

And I was being nice. Not like I suggested calling, "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." and luring the neighbour's cat over for a playdate or anything.:tongue_smilie: Or fish and chips for supper. Fish Called Wanda, anyone? *runs*

And I was being nice. Not like I suggested calling, "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." and luring the neighbour's cat over for a playdate or anything.:tongue_smilie: Or fish and chips for supper. Fish Called Wanda, anyone? *runs*

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I heart you.

"fish really aren't very smart"

I think that totally depends on the fish... I've owned bettas for several years now. I had one that would routinely rearrange the fake plants in his bowl to form various maze-like features and then push a frozen pea through it with his nose. I had another that liked to practice trench warfare... you wouldn't think a fish would "recognize" people but without fail every single time someone other than my DH or I was in the apartment (not often, so it was quite noticeable) he'd dig a trench in his gravel, bunker down in it, and bristle his fins at the strange person.

My current betta, on the other hand, is missing most of his brain cells. He gets very, very excited when I feed him and will bounce up and down in the water when he sees me grab the food container. However, he'll still be bouncing going "Where's my food? Where's my food? Aren't you going to feed me?" long after I've sprinkled the food in. It's not usually until a piece falls and hits him on the head that it occurs to him to look up instead of at me. I kept thinking he'd "learn", but I've had him for almost two years now and he still does it. Daily. :001_huh:

That said... I'm obviously fond of my fish :lol:. If you have to rehome them I'd post/look on craigslist, asks friends/neighbors etc. If all else fails you can ask a local petshop - some will take them, some wont. If it were me I'd just leave the fish, but I've always found an aquarium full of fish to be a very soothing, inviting form of decoration.

Just to be clear, we wouldn't be getting rid of these fish on a whim. It's because we are putting our house on the market. Any of you selling a house right now? It's not a seller's market. To be competitive, a listing has got to be PRISTINE. An aquarium in a kid's bedroom may not bother me or any of you, but if there's even a chance that a prospective buyer may be turned off by something I've got in my house now, out it goes... But please, do not think I am a heartless flusher...

I don't get needing to rehome fish and then "upgrade" to a lizard. They're fish. It's not like they're too much work or something. I wouldn't let my kid "upgrade" if they didn't take care of the fish.

My dd6 take excellent care of her fish. She's understanding of the fact that it's time to disassemble the aquarium (very mature for her age, actually). Her hope is that when we move, she will be able to continue her animal observations using the aquarium. It's not a quick "out with the old, in with the new." It's actually rather a good outlook on a challenging situation. BTW, have you had an aquarium? Not as much work as a dog, but definitely not maintenance free!

I wasn't advocating flushing them. I was being honest in saying the only 'rehoming' I've ever heard of is when the fish have died and hit the bowl.

I get it, Imp. We call that "burial at sea." My knee jerk reaction was more along the lines of, wouldn't it be easy if I could just do it that way... But I cannot, that's why I bothered to start a thread.

:lol::lol::lol: Three teenagers here. They eat everything!

Thanks to all of you who suggested calling the per store. I really never considered that they may take a return. Two of the fish she really likes, they are a pair. The third is rather a bully. I think I will see if a store will take back the third.

I will then either try for a small bathroom counter aquarium, or see if her kindergarten teacher would like to have the aquarium for a couple of months while we get the house sold (praying it will only take a couple of months!!!).

It's good to have a plan. Thanks again for all the input.