Menu

Help me make coffee!

I love coffee, but I can not make a good cup of coffee:tongue_smilie: I grind my beans, measure with TB, and try to follow the directions. It's always either too weak or too strong. I've also tried just winging the measuring. Still, I get a bad cup of coffee. I made a pot this morning and it's so weak. Now I need to re-make the pot. I'm becoming a bit obsessed.

How do you make coffee? Measure? Don't measure?:bigear:

I love my coffee. I use a French press that will pour three mugs or four smaller tea cups. I grind my beans fresh and put in four tablespoons, and let steep for five minutes before depressing the plunger. Sometimes I add just a quick shake of cinnamon to the grounds to complement the flavor.

I use dunkin donuts regular beans. I fill the coffee grinder until the silver is covered, and use 4 (coffee) cups of water.

My father says the general rule is one rounded tablespoon of coffee (bean or ground, same thing when measuring coffee) to 6oz of water. If using bean, he said you could be over or under-grinding as well.

My method: I fill my pot with however much water I want to make in this pot. For every two cups of water per the pot measure, not a measuring cup, I use a rounded scoop of ground coffee. So if the coffee pot says 10 cups of coffee then I add 5 rounded scoops of coffee. We do have different kinds of coffee at different times and I do need to adjust that for the different coffee blends, but it gives you a place to start. Fore wWeaker coffee blends I would add a full extra rounded scoop to the pot of coffee, and stronger coffee I use a level scoop instead of a rounded one.

Yes, you can over grind the beans. A Brrr grinder mashes the beans between gears instead of grinding them in a blade. The blade kind of grinders heat up the beans as they grind them and can change the taste. Try grinding them a little less and see if that changs the taste.

I use 4 Tbs coffee per 3 cups water (cups according to the marks on my coffee maker, which I think are 6 oz). My coffee maker also has a setting for when you make 4 c. or less--the water heats more and pours more slowly so more flavor is extracted. This does make a big difference. For grinding, measure the coffee into your grinder. If you don't have a burr grinder try shaking the grinder up and down while it's grinding. This simulates the burr grinder's action. I find I need to run the grinder at least 15 seconds. Are your beans ground finely enough? If not, you'll get weak coffee. If you're not sure what the grounds should look like go buy a bag of ground coffee. (Don't buy bulk and run it through the store grinders. Those grinders are not to be trusted.) If you don't like over-roasted tasting coffee I'd check out Dunkin Donuts original or Seattle's Best #2 or 3.

I hope you're able to make good coffee soon. I can't imagine my days without coffee! :D

Edited by Cinder
corrected coffee ratio

I have found the the coffeemaker can be as much of a factor as the beans. I don't have a high end coffeemaker but a nice Krups. I use a medium or bold blend (Starbucks Verona is my current fav). I fill the pot to 6 cups and then scoop 6 teaspoons (not measuring spoons) in. If I were using a weaker blend of coffee I'd have to tweak the measurements. I LOVE coffee and finally found what makes the perfect pot for me. Good luck!

I don't like the taste of Starbucks coffee plain (only their lattes). My problem is always finding the right coffee. I don't mind a bold taste as long as it's not bitter.

I do know that not using a filter on your water can distort the taste.

A friend of ours, whose son works in the restaurant industry, explained to his parents how to make great coffee. I need to find out what brand they used, but they grind their coffee into larger bits rather than finer. He said it tastes much better. They used a regular coffee maker. I will tell you that it was one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had.

I always measure with one of those little coffee scoops -- one for one mug. I decrease the amount of coffee instead of using the same ratio as the water amount increases. Again, I don't like very strong coffee.

I think that's one of the problems in finding out what a great cup of coffee tastes like. People's tastes vary so much.

If you are measuring and grinding your own beans, it's probably your coffee maker. I suggest getting a french press or a Melita.

Or you need fresher beans, or higher-quality.

And make sure you use only 6 oz of water per cup.

We had a lot of trouble with coffee with a traditional coffee maker. It was inconsistent in how much water it wasted during the dripping process. After we switched to a Melita, we have had no problems.

Tara

French press and a hot water kettle. Automatic coffee makers no longer get hot enough to steep the coffee properly. The water should be just below the boiling point when it hits the grounds, but most coffee makers barely make it past 150 degrees or so. Liability worries or poor engineering? Who knows.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005YY9X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005LM0S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1J3CY47VXNCZ6QJFFFJJ

I love it. Nothing to break, and the double walled stainless keeps it warm while its steeping. You'll need a carafe if you brew a lot at once. I use a zojirushi because it's the only one I've ever owned that keeps hot things hot for more than a few minutes.

Barb

I love coffee, but I can not make a good cup of coffee:tongue_smilie: I grind my beans, measure with TB, and try to follow the directions. It's always either too weak or too strong. I've also tried just winging the measuring. Still, I get a bad cup of coffee. I made a pot this morning and it's so weak. Now I need to re-make the pot. I'm becoming a bit obsessed.

How do you make coffee? Measure? Don't measure?:bigear:

Honey bunny, I am just like you. DH even bought a top of the line expresso maker. I think I made good coffee a handful of times and it was because I used Trader Joe's coffee. Now, I just stick with the Via Italian Roast. Yes, it is instant but now my kids can bring me my coffee before my eyes need to open.

HTH

A) Buy good coffee. We love Starbucks Verona Whole Bean. Not too expensive.

B) French Press, and good water, not quite at boiling temp

C) Don't use the measurements - it takes more than that if you like strong coffee. I don't measure - I add a ton!

D) Only let it steep for about 5-6 minutes. It can get bitter after that.

E) Decaf is not going to give you good results

Hi. My name is Karyn and I'm a recovering coffee-maker-failure. It's been about 6 months since I've messed up a pot of coffee. :D

The tips my mom gave me seem to work: always add an extra cup of water "for the pot" over and above what the beans call for. As others have said, you have to experiment with amounts to see what works for your beans and your tastes. Use cold water. It is hard to make a small pot of coffee; it is much easier to master making a full pot first.

I use a TBLS of ground coffee for every mug of water. And yes I measure the water with my mug. :) It makes it hard if I have to make a big pot somewhere. lol And then it depends on the coffee. I think you get used to a particular brand.

I gave up. :tongue_smilie: Now I drink instant. A bonus is that I can add it to smoothies too. :D

Starbucks' VIA is okay, but I find it a little bitter. Some Googling led me to Nescafe Clasico (instant coffee for the Latin American market). My grocery store carries it in jars and also in little packets just like VIA.

I have a lot of friends who spend a lot of money on gourmet coffee beans, some even roast their own beans, etc. But I don't think their coffee is that good. There is a Hilton here that has the best coffee, and for about a year we went through all sorts of different coffee trying to find something that tastes like the Hilton's coffee. Finally found it, and it's cheap. Folgers Columbian. It's strong, bold, and not at all bitter. We use 1 scoop (which I think is 1 tbsp) per cup. So if we use 5 cups of water per the coffee pot, we use 5 scoops of coffee. If we're using our single-cup coffeemaker, the mug is large, so we use 2 scoops. I agree with using very cold water to make coffee, and be sure to clean your coffeemaker with white vinegar every so often.