Menu

Why tion, sion, ssion, ture, sure and cial are pronounced like they are

Have you ever wondered why tion, sion, ssion, ture, sure and cial are pronounced like they are?

I just updated my phonics lesson 22, the first 5 minutes explain it! My daughter is still going around the house chanting very fast "tyun, tyun, tyun, shun."

The last thing that is interesting is cial. The rest are boring suffix rules. (Even boring to me, and I like this stuff!)

The movies contain a reading from Romans at the end, and at the beginning they say "These phonics lessons are produced for non-profit purposes out of love for Jesus Christ."

The link to the phonics lessons is below for those who are interested.

BTW, it only took me 7 months to get settled enough to start updating movies again. Luckily, it looks like we won't move this summer! (We have moved 8 times in the last 9 years.) Also, iMovie did a major update. I like the new version a lot better, but it took a while to figure out how to use it.

The movies contain a reading from Romans at the end, and at the beginning they say "These phonics lessons are produced for non-profit purposes out of love for Jesus Christ."

In the nicest possible way of asking, have you considered making alternate versions Elizabeth? I like your phonics lessons very much (and you have a very soothing and friendly voice BTW) but the religious message has made these unsuitable for use in my home.

Your friend,

Bill

Mr. Webster was a sadist...... :lol:

Seriously, there were no real hard and fast spelling rules until his first dictionary was published. He doomed all the bad spellers out there.....

By "bad" do you mean"imaginative" or "innovative"? ;)

In the nicest possible way of asking, have you considered making alternate versions Elizabeth?
I've just accepted that they are not usable for us and moved on.

Isn't it a wonderful country that a homeschooling mom can take the time to produce something like this and generously share it with others?

If you choose not to use it, no problem. It's not like you're out any cash or anything.

If you choose to criticize, edit, suggest variations, etc., -- two thoughts:

* Work on your own product to offer free to others as an alternative to that which you had differences with, and/or ....

* Remember your parents' advice -- if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Just a thought. For what it's worth.

Edited by lovemyboys
forgot an apostrophe!!

Isn't it a wonderful country that a homeschooling mom can take the time to produce something like this and generously share it with others?

If you choose not to use it, no problem. It's not like you're out any cash or anything.

If you choose to criticize, edit, suggest variations, etc., -- two thoughts:

* Work on your own product to offer free to others as an alternative to that which you had differences with, and/or ....

* Remember your parents' advice -- if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Just a thought. For what it's worth. Point to ponder. et cetera.

Who wasn't able to say something nice? :confused:

I like Elisabeth (vey much), I like here voice, I like her lessons, I appreciate the good works she does in helping children learn to read both in her personal life and through the web. The religious message makes the online lessons unsuitable for use in my home. Asking her if she's considered alternative versions is not a rebuke.

For what it's worth.

Bill

Have you ever wondered why tion, sion, ssion, ture, sure and cial are pronounced like they are?

I just updated my phonics lesson 22, the first 5 minutes explain it! My daughter is still going around the house chanting very fast "tyun, tyun, tyun, shun."

The last thing that is interesting is cial. The rest are boring suffix rules. (Even boring to me, and I like this stuff!)

BTW, it only took me 7 months to get settled enough to start updating movies again. Luckily, it looks like we won't move this summer! (We have moved 8 times in the last 9 years.) Also, iMovie did a major update. I like the new version a lot better, but it took a while to figure out how to use it.

Thanks, Elizabeth! The dc have asked about those exact endings, and I didn't have any idea what to tell them. Not that they'll be as excited to know as I am, but.... :001_smile:

In the nicest possible way of asking, have you considered making alternate versions Elizabeth? I like your phonics lessons very much (and you have a very soothing and friendly voice BTW) but the religious message has made these unsuitable for use in my home.

Your friend,

Bill

Really?? Wow. Just wow! This kind of comment astounds me.

Her comment, "The movies contain a reading from Romans at the end, and at the beginning they say "These phonics lessons are produced for non-profit purposes out of love for Jesus Christ.""

This comment did not indicate to you her reason for doing these lessons the way she chose to do them exactly the way they are?

If you don't like them the way they are, keep it to yourself. Everyone must make things the way YOU like them or you feel free to comment?

Good grief.

Thank you for your generosity! It is much appreciated.

I like Elisabeth (vey much), I like here voice, I like her lessons, I appreciate the good works she does in helping children learn to read both in her personal life and through the web. The religious message makes the online lessons unsuitable for use in my home. Asking her if she's considered alternative versions is not a rebuke.

For what it's worth.

Bill

It was an unnecessary critique. Elizabeth generously offers these lessons to all of us for free, to use or not. And she boldly declares her basis for doing so. You could have looked at it and shrugged and walked away. Discouraging folks from even considering this looks gratuitous.

For what it's worth.

Bill

Well, maybe not, but isn't it like me asking the Homeschool Festivus group to include a speaker who will include her faith in her homeschool talk?

They've kind of made it clear that's not what they are looking for as Elizabeth made clear she created this curriculum out of love for Jesus.

Edited by Sophia

Your friend,

Bill

Just a guess...never read anything by Dale Carnegie, did you?

Why not offer to PAY FOR a secular version, if that's so important to you?

It was an unnecessary critique. Elizabeth generously offers these lessons to all of us for free, to use or not. And she boldly declares her basis for doing so. You could have looked at it and shrugged and walked away. Discouraging folks from even considering this looks gratuitous.
I'm don't think it qualifies as a critique to point out that there is some religious content in the material. I'm sure Elizabeth is well aware of both this and the fact that some people will not use it because if this. ;) I'm not sure who is being warned away here... by saying it's so good that a person wanting purely secular materials says he wishes there were a secular version. No reprimand, no demands.

I'm don't think it qualifies as a critique to point out that there is some religious content in the material. I'm sure Elizabeth is well aware of both this and the fact that some people will not use it because if this. ;) I'm not sure who is being warned away here... by saying it's so good that a person wanting purely secular materials says he wishes there were a secular version. No reprimand, no demands.

I did make the point that I like her lessons, like Elizabeth (very much), like her voice, and admire the good works she does both in her personal efforts to teach children to read in "real life" and in the lessons she makes available on the web, or did I not? :lol:

*Sigh*

Bill

I did make the point that I like her lessons, like Elizabeth (very much), like her voice, and admire the good works she does both in her personal efforts to teach children to read in "real life" and in the lessons she makes available on the web, or did I not? :lol:

*Sigh*

Bill

You did and that was very nice. Everyone likes a pat on the head.

Here's a tip that you may be unaware of though: when a Christian says they did something out of love for Jesus, they are not generally looking for a way to take out that acknowledgement.

In fact, it could be construed as hurtful that someone would even ask.

Especially someone who claims to like and respect them.

You did and that was very nice. Everyone likes a pat on the head.

Here's a tip that you may be unaware of though: when a Christian says they did something out of love for Jesus, they are not generally looking for a way to take out that acknowledgement.

In fact, it could be construed as hurtful that someone would even ask.

Especially someone who claims to like and respect them.

You know what Sophia if Elizabeth feels hurt by my asking if she has considered making a version without religious references I will beg her pardon.

Okey-dokey?

Bill

*Sigh*

Bill

I like Bill, I don't mind him asking!

I have a written version on my how to tutor page that includes about 90% of the things taught in the online lessons, I have not yet added the tion things. (It also has some extras, the syllable division worksheets are not covered in the lessons, although the syllable division rules are.)

While they were developed for a group of older remedial students, they can be used with a student who has been taught phonics well but just needs some advanced syllables and other information, you just need to read and spell a few words from each section, a remedial student would need to do the whole section.

The written version includes an optional reading of Hebrews, but you do not have to use that if you do not want to. The links at the end contain the written version, the guide (#4) tells how to use them, it is highly scripted. In fact, it is so scripted I even get annoyed and I wrote the instructions!! (I hate highly scripted things.)

I eventually plan on having a less scripted version and a page specifically for a well taught student who just needs advanced things, hopefully sooner now that I'm fully recovered from the move. (Moving is a pain even when you are "good" at it and know all the tricks; 90% of the pain is unavoidable, you can fix maybe 10% of the pain with experience, our first few moves were only slightly more painful than our later ones.)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Well then, there you go Bill.

I'll just go back to that dark underside and get back to my Henty's. ;)

I didn't mean to offend anyone or start a firestorm, I was just linking to my new movie, I was very happy that I finally got something done!!

I just got back from the grocery store, I wasn't expecting 3 pages of people debating what I meant!! :lol::lol::lol:

Good thing I didn't mention shoes or shopping carts.

I didn't mean to offend anyone or start a firestorm, I was just linking to my new movie, I was very happy that I finally got something done!!

I just got back from the grocery store, I wasn't expecting 3 pages of people debating what I meant!! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: And we're happy to help you keep it on the front page for awhile!

Fwiw, Elizabeth, I could hear your purpose in your voice when I listened to a couple of these. Bless you for sharing with us.

:auto:

I'm sorry your thread got dragged into other peoples purposes (even my own). It was not my intention to cause a train-wreck. I'm sure you know that.

Thank you for your gracious response, it is what I've come to expect from you. I have deep respect for you and I trust you are well aware of that fact.

Bill

Shoes and shopping carts...you're on your own :lol:.

Someone asking a Sister in Christ to omit references to her faith so it's palatable to them, well as my grandma would say aye-yie-yie! :lol::lol:

Edited by Sophia

See I wasn't wrong when I suspected this was pay-back ;)

Bill

:confused: My reaction was to your request that she create secular materials after she stated very nicely her purpose in doing it "out of love for Jesus Christ." It struck me as what my folks would have advised as one of those shrug and walk away moments, if her materials didn't suit you. That's why I posted. Yours was the first reply, right after she'd mentioned Christian content twice, it looked like a slap to me. :001_huh: That's all. Elizabeth's said she's cool with it. So there you go.

What a kind and helpful thing you have offered FREE OF CHARGE to others and out of your love for Christ!! I urge you not to compromise that service to Christ by removing His Word from it for anyone!! I find it over-the-top that anyone would even request that of you!

I have a 5yo working on phonics at the moment. These may help him. Thank you!!

Well then, there you go Bill.

I'll just go back to that dark underside and get back to my Henty's. ;)

Well, see, there's the problem, Sophia: You read Henty without clearing it with the book police!! You really ARE a part of the underside, aren't you? I can always tell since I'm part of the underside too. :lol::lol:

Off to read Cat of Bubastes. I'll just have to hide it before the book burning. Maybe I'll be really bad and read This Country of Ours while eating a Happy Meal. :D Those kids' toys just suck me in every time!!!

Well, see, there's the problem, Sophia: You read Henty without clearing it with the book police!! You really ARE a part of the underside, aren't you? I can always tell since I'm part of the underside too. :lol::lol:

Off to read Cat of Bubastes. I'll just have to hide it before the book burning. Maybe I'll be really bad and read This Country of Ours while eating a Happy Meal. :D Those kids' toys just suck me in every time!!!

Book police...:glare:

Just when I thought we'd established we can all think for ourselves.

Evidently not when it comes to free Henty's on Kindle.

Edited by Sophia

There are a lot of ground rules for this "thinking for ourselves" concept, Sophia. You need to know them, memorize them, then don't you dare step out of line!! :glare:

Rule #1: Thinking for yourself is one-sided and only applies to those who have given themselves the right to do so.

Rule #2: Those of us who have NOT been given that right (most of us belonging to the underside) must be told what to think by those who have given themselves that right. (This goes back to rule #1).

Rule #3: All reading material, news sources, parenting choices, educational choices, curriculum, television news networks, etc. etc. MUST be approved by those that rule #1 applies to.

Rule #4: When you see any illogic or hypocrisy in the thinking and speech of those from rule #1, don't dare question it...you have not been given that right, plus your ability to see logic and truth just frustrates them and they wind up barking repeatedly then wetting themselves!!

There are more rules...I haven't learned them all yet. It can get frustrating because they change so much!!

:lol::lol::lol:

i can't get the lessons to play - are there religious references throughout the lesson? I've found very few materials that are "unusable" -- most just require a bit of age appropriate explanation unless you're raising your kids in a bubble that doesn't understand the beliefs of others...

i can't get the lessons to play - are there religious references throughout the lesson? I've found very few materials that are "unusable" -- most just require a bit of age appropriate explanation unless you're raising your kids in a bubble that doesn't understand the beliefs of others...

There is the statement at beginning and a half chapter of Romans at the end of each movie, that is it. You need to download QuickTime to be able to view the movies, although I have an alternate version that may play, it is formatted for the iPad but may play on your computer, it is in .m4V, here are the movies formatted for iPad:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/iPodmovies/ipodmovielinksa.html

Thanks, Elizabeth! The dc have asked about those exact endings, and I didn't have any idea what to tell them. Not that they'll be as excited to know as I am, but.... :001_smile:

Thank you for your generosity! It is much appreciated.

Thanks very much, Elizabeth! Lesson 22 is going to come in very handy for my younger dd.

I just want to say a little bit of thanks to Elizabeth for sharing this.

Laura

Thanks for reminding me these lessons are available. Now my daughter is old enough to sit through watching some of the earlier lessons. Thank you.

You are all welcome!

Shoes and shopping carts...you're on your own :lol:.

Well, there were shopping carts at the grocery store. That is as much as I am willing to talk about, my shopping cart stand is top secret.

Dissension over sion, tion, ssiun...Who knew?

Yes, crazy! I thought I could safely head to the grocery store. I'm sure the fact that there were a lot of shopping carts there had something to do with it.

There is the statement at beginning and a half chapter of Romans at the end of each movie, that is it. You need to download QuickTime to be able to view the movies, although I have an alternate version that may play, it is formatted for the iPad but may play on your computer, it is in .m4V, here are the movies formatted for iPad:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/iPodmovies/ipodmovielinksa.html

Thanks Elizabeth-

ok, so as long as we are able to preview the movie, a competent adult should be able to mark the exact time that the "unsuitable" material begins and ends and simply start/stop the lessons at that point...... right?

Thanks Elizabeth-

ok, so as long as we are able to preview the movie, a competent adult should be able to mark the exact time that the "unsuitable" material begins and ends and simply start/stop the lessons at that point...... right?

Well, yes.

That fish would still be eyeing you, though. :D