Menu

Here's a hair question I've never heard anyone ask on the boards

My daughter has pretty hair, but for years now, she always has short "new" hair growing all around her hairline. It never really seems to grow in but stays at about one inch. It wouldn't really be noticeable, except she is in ballet and must wear her hair in a bun. She winds up with a fringe of hair across her forehead, along the sides of her head and at the base of her neck that doesn't look very nice. Any ideas about why this happens? Since it never grows, I've thought about trimming it with a razor, but I was wondering if there was something else I could do about it.

I do remember something like this happening to me after pregnancy after I lost a bunch of hair, but mine grew in all the way and hers never does.

Thanks!

Lisa

I thought my daughter had cut her hair once because I'd never seen hers before, and all of a sudden (or so it seemed to me), here was this piece of inch-long hair on her forehead at her part that looked like it had been cut straight across. It actually did grow out, but now more is back. Weird.

Okay, well I'll just have to tell her it is angel hair. :Angel_anim: I think she'll like that. It definitely isn't breakage. It's like new hair but just never grows in.

If someone has found some product to get the hair to grow in, let me know!

I also wonder if it will change when or after she goes through puberty since she never had this until a couple of years ago.

Thanks!

Lisa

Nope, can't be from the ponytail for my dd either. She has short hair and it's rarely pulled back. It's just the ways it's been for several years.

Same here. My oldest dd has this. She has only had it a few years. My other dd has this but it eventually grows in. Then she get more and it grows in over time. I have wondered it hormones were doing this to them.

I have the same problem. I also have some short hairs that stick up along my part. I use a dry styling wax to smooth them into the rest of my hair. Works well. I thought it was breakage, but my hairdresser says my hair is actually strong and healthy; it's just new growth. (I don't wear my hair up or pull it back or anything, either.)

Wendi

Yeah, I have this, too. I hate it! We call it "wispies". You know, wispy hair? It must be some genetic trait. Most of my daughters inherited it from me and they hate it, too. We are all very envious of the 10yo - she has none of it. Just nice smooth hair that she can pull back into a pony and it looks fab.

Rebecca, I like your name for it - angel hair. Makes it seem special. :) I'll try calling it that from now on.