Menu

Baby Name

I'm stumped as to what to call our baby. He's our third boy and will be arriving in about a month, and I still can't find a name that strikes me as "it". Basically we like classic names that are not too common. The little catch is that we like names that are French but are also able to be pronounced by most people. Any suggestions?

I'm stumped as to what to call our baby. He's our third boy and will be arriving in about a month, and I still can't find a name that strikes me as "it". Basically we like classic names that are not too common. The little catch is that we like names that are French but are also able to be pronounced by most people. Any suggestions?

I like Charles.

Also Henri or Frederic

Well, I wouldn't do "Henri" or other names that are going to look "feminine" to Americans. (or Jean for that matter... That's actually my friend who is french... her daughter's name) Anyway... how about Matthew. You can pronounce it "french" and people here can say "Math -ew"... like well... Americans do... ;) But, It would sound almost the same... either way :)

Yeah, that's the issue -- everyone thinking it's a girl's name. I like Yves. But I don't know if the kid will like it 12 years from now. Gabriel is already taken as a middle name. Betrand too. You say Lou - ee. Not Lew - is or what drives my dh crazy the American version Lou - wee. Everyone asks me that or how to spell it, but I think the name is nice enough to be worth all the explanations. Dh suggested Edouard (the d is silent Ed- war ) It's okay if I can find soemthing to go with it or put it with something that sounds right. Kinda' frazzled over this as time is running out. At least it feels that way. Also we both have large families so a lot of names are taken. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by toawh

I hope this doesn't appear ungrateful for the imput, but I have to eliminate what can't be to find what can. At least my brain works that way.

Everyone can say it, and it's not common.

My friend just named her baby Tristan.

Adrien

Alexandre

Christophe

I love French names!

Margie

One of the cousins is already Adrien. Alexandre is nice, but all those names ending in "re" are so hard for some people to pronounce. That last soft r just gets stuck intheir throats.

What about

Luc

Marc

Andre

Jacques

Remy

Nicolas

Sebastien

Dominic

I really like Julien, too

Andre is already used up in the family. So is Julien.

Paul

Pierre

Claude

Michel

Maurice

Alain

Matthieu

Pascal

Gabriel

Olivier

Philippe

Roland

Julien

Henri

Denis

Philippe, Gabriel, Olivier, Maurice, Daniel, Etienne, Jean and Michel are all used up too between cousins and brothers and uncles. All the cousins are boys just to give you an idea of the issue. We already named one of the boys after his brother and one after mine. I think we have to do something original now or it'll be overdoing it.

Some of these names are wonderful!

My favorites from a list of French boys' names:

Alain

Alexandre (one of ds's friend's is named this - goes by Alex, though)

Charles

Christian

Christophe

Edouard

Luc

Marc

Pierre

Remy

Sebastien

HTH,

Wendi

Haven't decided yet, but I've been checking in on this post to see new ides. Still thinking, tossing them back and forth, and listening to myself say combinations. The suggestions are a great help though. So far on our like list are:

Gilbert

Yves

Edouard

Nicolas

Marcel

Joel

Joel!! That's an awesome name :) Or, if you want people who don't speak french to mumble through.... do Yves or Edouard or... actually any of the others. I'd be stuck with "Hey little buddy" for him.... and mean it with all the kindness in the world :( But... just none of them would work out for me to comfortably say... although... I could probably spell them just fine. I liked "Natan" for my son... but added the "h" in there so it'd be spelled correctly :).... here.... Just a thought.