Menu

Can you recommend a great read aloud?

Alicia64

No particular subject at all. It's just supposed to be "good literature." From there, we're free to choose whatever we want.

A lot of the stuff I'd choose -- Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, Little House, Peter Pan, Mary Poppins -- are all so long.

I'm stumped.

Alley

Hmmmm. . . you could probably do a shortish chapter book in three hours. I'm thinking that the Charlotte's Web audiobook is at least that short. Maybe you could look up the audiobook versions of any chapter book you're considering and see how long the narrated version is. I agree with the pp who suggested the D'Aulaire biographies. They're long enough to seem substantial, but I don't think they'd last 3 hours (unless you did all of them).

Winnie the Pooh (the original series. NOT DISNEY!!! Any of them/all of them will do. These are fantastic for a first all young and old)

The Tale of Despreaux (My absolute favorite)

The End of the Beginning (a really sweet quick read)

A Cricket in Times Square (dd7 really liked this one)

HTH

http://www.amazon.com/Jamie-Angus-Stories-Anne-Fine/dp/0763633127/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299721673&sr=8-1

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is also a great choice. The chapters stand alone so you don't have to finish the book if you run out of time. The first book is by far the best. Mr. Popper's Penguins and EB White books are great, but some of the children may already know them (not that hearing them more than once is a bad thing)

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman. The chapters are short so it's easy to end it for the hour if you happen to be in the middle of a chapter. Besides that, it's funny and has enough adventure to keep them intrigued.

Also, DD loved The Night Fairy by Laura Schlitz and it's short enough to finish within 3 hours.