Menu

Hikers...do we have any here?

If so do you do a few day long ones? Day trips only?

Now what do you take if you do a few day long ones? We want to start hiking, I need it for exercise (I am a larger person and need to get active). Also it is a great way for us to spend time as a family. Now with a little one I don't expect him to carry much of anything, my teenage son can carry what he needs, and dh and myself with carry our stuff and the little ones stuff. I don't want to over do it and end up with a pack that is just too much weight and full of unnecessary items. Also we will have a small dog with us.

We went a few years ago on a couple day one. My little guy was so small then that we stuck to roads and such so he could ride his 4wheeler. We ended up with way too much stuff and it was a hassle. This time we want to stick to being on foot and pack way lighter.

Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on a great shoe? I am not too hot on ones over my ankle, but I think it would be wise for me to try them. I need something that has great support, comfortable and light.

Thank you for any suggestions.

We're hikers. Well, dh and I were avid day hikers (he did more backpacking than I) before we got the kids. We're trying to get back into it now. A few suggestions:

1) start slow and easy, esp. with kids. Take nice easy hikes with points of interest as your destination. We always try to hike to a lake of some kind or a spectacular view. Just wandering around on some trail isn't too much fun!

2) As far as outfitting yourselves, to start out with I'd suggest sturdy tennis shoes and good socks, as you get more "in to it", then just go to a good hiking store with knowledgable people to help you. Also, a good fanny pack is better than a small backpack/daypack. DH and I each have a good one, it carries 2 water bottles and lunch and bandaids, kleenexes, etc.. It's much more easily accessible (slide it around your waist) and your back doesn't get sweaty. You can find these for even small children (our kids always carry their own water and snacks and they've been hiking since they were 2 years old) and they like being able to get their own water bottles.

3) Take lots of pictures, too. Then you can look back and remember the fun you had.

Hiking is wonderful. We live within an hour from the Sierras and can't wait for the snow to melt each spring to get up there. We did try snowshoeing a couple times, but didn't like that as much.

We are hikers. We have been hiking with the kids since they were infants. Usually day hikes on the weekend (we will start backpacking this year now that they are old enough to carry their stuff.)

I suggest you start with day hikes, not overnights. This way, all you need to carry is food, water and rain gear (plus maps).

For hiking with kids, you should find trails that have something interesting for children: a cave, a stream, some landmark - they are not interested in hiking up a mountain just for the view. You might consider geocaching, that adds the fun of a treasure hunt and may motivate your kids.

Plan for lots of time and take it easy. With young kids, sometimes they only walk a mile an hour because they need to stop, play, examine. If you budget for this time and are prepared, it will not be a frustration. (ETA: I just see your youngest is already 6 - that will make it easier. At that age, a typical hike for our family would have been 4-5 miles.)

Carry plenty of interesting snacks to bribe tired and unmotivated youngsters ;-)

As far as shoes go: if you are serious about hiking, I would invest in a good pair of shoes from a company that is specialized in hiking boots. Try REI. There are several very comfortable shoes that are only ankle high. They should be OK for mild terrain and trails in the wood (not for serious mountaineering, not for boulder slopes). Recommendations won't help, you must try the shoe before you buy.

Have fun. Hiking is wonderful and very family friendly.

We're beginner hikers. Where we used to live had a state park just down the street. There were different levels of trails and we'd hike those on a regular basis.

Now we're waiting for the weather to break and check out our new state parks. I think those are good for beginners because the trails are marked, maintained, and usually vary in length.

I have hiking boots, but I prefer to hike in either trail tennis shoes or my Teva Sandals (dependent upon weather).

We carry a small backpack with water, phone, keys. Our hikes were short so we didn't take snacks, but if you plan on being out for a while, peanut or raisins are something small to start with. I also have exercise induced asthma so I carried an inhaler with me. I always carry a camera as well.

It's also important to understand what dangers might be in your area. Poison Ivy, snakes, spiders. Where we used to walk was right by a bayou and there were warnings for alligators and wart hogs. We never encountered either on the trails (thank God!), but there were wild alligators that lived in the lagoon in the park. We did see snakes more than a few times, so we learned to watch where we were walking.

Also know what is protected, there are usually signs. For instance picking flowers and such may be prohibited.

We do day hikes. For each of us we carry waterproofs (jacket and trousers). We also take bottles of water and snacks (nuts, raisins, etc. are concentrated calories for energy). Then there's a map, or two if Calvin is doing a side-route on his own. That's about it, apart from normal pocket stuff: phones, keys, money.

Laura

I do day hikes about twice a week with my preschooler and bike or mountain bike with him at least another 2 days a week. Before kids DH and I used to do some pretty serious backpacking trips, but alas with a 4 year-old, overnights will have to wait a few more years.

My major advice is to get with a group if you can. We belong to a couple of different hiking-with-kids groups on Meetup.com and its been great. Someone else does the planning, checks out the trail, and posts a day and time and we just decide if we want to join up with them. My son is also more motivated to hike with other children in the group instead of it just being me and DH.

One of my favorite books about being outdoors with kids is called Extreme Kids: How to Connect with your kids through today's extreme (and not so extreme) sports. They have a lot of great advice about how to make the outdoors fun for kids and not a chore. Things like comfortable clothes and shoes, a few treats, geocaching, etc. can make a big difference. Also make sure to focus on the experience and not the destination. Certainly don't get into the mindset that you need to do X many miles to complete the hike.

Also stamina will build up over time if you keep it fun. My DS has actually done some pretty killer hikes (Diamondhead in Hawaii before he was 3, 20 mile bike rides on a tandem at 3.5, etc.) but those are pretty rare. We always take lots and lots of breaks, point out interesting things along the way, let him explore as much as he wants, and always turn around if he isn't enjoying it.

You really don't need a lot of gear to get started. Comfortable clothes and a small backpack are fine. Always bring water and food and a trail map. You don't need to go crazy with shoes. DH and DS hike in Tevas a lot and I have some light weight boots. If you get more serious then hiking poles can be a great addition, they really save my knees and we've taught DS to use kid sized ones to help him get over obstacles and go up and down hill.

Last October we took all 5 kiddos [ages 3, 5, 8, 11, 14] up to Emory Peak at Big Bend. Camped overnight halfway up, hiked to peak and back all the way down the next day. camped at base that evening.

we did LOTS of smaller day hikes to prepare.

My oldest had already done Philmont, and he can pack some serious weight. He and Mr. Boo carried the heaviest packs [we had to take our own water up]. I had the 3d heaviest, and my 2d carried a lot of the lighter bulkier items.

each kid practiced with SOME sort of pack -- even my youngest carried his own water bottle and bag of snacks [including a lollipop!]. Learning to wear it was the hardest for him and my 4th i think. They did end up carrying a couple pounds or so in their final hiking packs.

we always hiked in 15 minute increments w/ 5 minute stops. We used a timer so they knew what to expect. I had certain snacks along the way that were pulled out at certain stops: caprisun at 3d stop, chocolate at 5th stop, etc.

we practiced at a nature preserve that had some very serious rocky terrain, not just stuff along the road.

when we got to big bend, I was pretty impressed at how well they did -- we didn't HAVE to carry either of the younger ones, even though Mr. Boo gave in and played around with them when were at the tail end of the hike [camp in sight].

we haven't been back since. :001_huh:

too many other things, lol......

we do want to take the dogs to enchanted rock....no dogs allowed in national parks and some other places. :(

Hi, we're huge into hiking. In fact, we have a row of 12 hiking boots going from man-sized all the way to toddler-sized in our living room. :D

My favorite hiking boots have been Merrills. I bought mine at a higher end sports store...actually, I can't remember the name of the store. Lol!

We recently hiked Caprock Canyons (in TX).

We carry an Ergo Baby Carrier in our backpack, in case the 3 yro can't make it anymore. Each kid has a hiking stick because we have rattlesnakes here (there was a toddler who died at one of the parks here last summer - so we are very afraid of rattlesnakes - I'm actually considering getting them snake boots). They said if your kids make a lot of noise and the snakes can hear the sticks on the ground, the snakes get enough notice that you're coming and they can hide. Also, this post is making me sound like a weirdo...there are mountain lions here and we figured the sticks are potential weapons in case a mountain lion (or scary human) attacks. :tongue_smilie: I actually didn't see what state you live in, so I'm not sure if any of those things would concern you. :lol: We did go on one hike where "something" was circling us. I'm not sure if it was a coyote or a wild dog...:001_huh:

Oh, don't forget to carry a first aid kit with you (a really good one - like one made for hikers - some of them have survival stuff in them - in case you were stranded somewhere).

Have fun! :)

We hike, doing both day and extended outings.

Last year we took out scouts for a four day hike in Virginia.

This year we are planning a week out with just our boys.

I am a minimalist, so I am constanately looking for gear that can do many jobs. We have a backpacking tent, however I think we will all be using hammocks this summer.

We dehydrate our food and filter water. This saves on weight.

I also bought a luggage scale last year. We all hang our backpacks and check weight before going out.

Last year a used trail running shoes to hike in. Both my husband and I are looking for shoes/boots this year. I will probably go with a low cut boot. I am still looking into it.

We get the Backpacker magazine which helps with gear selection. They also have a website which has great ideas. I am currently looking for a magazine that focuses on women.

Good Luck and have fun!!

Wyoming, and yes rattlesnakes, mountain lions all of it. Now if we are high enough in the mountains we don't have to worry to much about the snakes (stays cool up there and they prefer the warmer areas full of sagebrush here). But mountain lions are a problem here. They even come into town, we have had a few in town a block away from my house actually.

Hi, we're huge into hiking. In fact, we have a row of 12 hiking boots going from man-sized all the way to toddler-sized in our living room. :D

My favorite hiking boots have been Merrills. I bought mine at a higher end sports store...actually, I can't remember the name of the store. Lol!

We recently hiked Caprock Canyons (in TX).

We carry an Ergo Baby Carrier in our backpack, in case the 3 yro can't make it anymore. Each kid has a hiking stick because we have rattlesnakes here (there was a toddler who died at one of the parks here last summer - so we are very afraid of rattlesnakes - I'm actually considering getting them snake boots). They said if your kids make a lot of noise and the snakes can hear the sticks on the ground, the snakes get enough notice that you're coming and they can hide. Also, this post is making me sound like a weirdo...there are mountain lions here and we figured the sticks are potential weapons in case a mountain lion (or scary human) attacks. :tongue_smilie: I actually didn't see what state you live in, so I'm not sure if any of those things would concern you. :lol: We did go on one hike where "something" was circling us. I'm not sure if it was a coyote or a wild dog...:001_huh:

Oh, don't forget to carry a first aid kit with you (a really good one - like one made for hikers - some of them have survival stuff in them - in case you were stranded somewhere).

Have fun! :)

We hike, doing both day and extended outings.

Last year we took out scouts for a four day hike in Virginia.

This year we are planning a week out with just our boys.

I am a minimalist, so I am constanately looking for gear that can do many jobs. We have a backpacking tent, however I think we will all be using hammocks this summer.

We dehydrate our food and filter water. This saves on weight.

I also bought a luggage scale last year. We all hang our backpacks and check weight before going out.

Last year a used trail running shoes to hike in. Both my husband and I are looking for shoes/boots this year. I will probably go with a low cut boot. I am still looking into it.

We get the Backpacker magazine which helps with gear selection. They also have a website which has great ideas. I am currently looking for a magazine that focuses on women.

Good Luck and have fun!!

You made me think there, I just bought myself a new excalibur dehydrator that is an awesome idea.

Any suggestions on what you dehydrate?

You can dehydrate about anything. We have done veggies and meat. We are going to try a thick soup.

The packs of chicken and tuna are good (no need to dehydrate) to mix in with meals. However, you need to consider packaging. What gets carried in, gets hiked out.

I was just reading an article about drying pasta. Cook it first, then dehydrate it. It cuts down on the cooking time. Which saves on fuel.

We also try all recipes pryor to going out. That way we can tweak them before leaving and the boys know what's on the menu.

I would be glad to share any cooking or other information I have. This is one subject that helps me get over cabin fever!!

what a great goal! we love to hike.... i'd suggest starting gradually. when dds could walk (ie. starting at age 1 or so), we would take an hour's walk nearby. we are on a mountain, so it was all up and down. we stopped for them to play along the way at two or three specific spots. we looked at flowers, birds, bugs.... by the time they were 3, they could hike 6 hours up and down.... each did mount hoffmann in the high country of yosemite at that age. we are the opposite of the others who've posted so far. dh hikes in flipflops (he climbed in the himalayas, and says if the sherpas do it, its worth looking at), so we hike up in running shoes, and down in flipflops, except for scree, where i like to have my shoes on.

things we've learned:

"hiking beans" (jelly beans) are invaluable. their dad keeps them in his pockets and they get doled out.

everyone carries their own water and their own layers...

we add lemonade or ice tea powder to half the water bottles...

we break half way (for us, that is usually the top of something) and eat things that otherwise we never have.... oreos, jerky etc. lots of protein, salt and sugar. our crew will go almost anywhere for chocolate ;)

destinations are good. at yosemite, we often hike to rivers, waterfalls, etc. we pack in bathing suits, and have a good play.

we sing.

but i would start small, and work up.... daily afternoon walks of 30-60 minutes as a start, just in your neighbourhood. then when that becomes fun, you could try a 2-3 hour ramble nearby on a saturday or sunday. do that for a while. have fun. then you could try half day hikes somewhere, and move on from there....

enjoy!

ann

But mountain lions are a problem here. They even come into town, we have had a few in town a block away from my house actually.

Yeah, my husband's co-worker said he walked out of his house one time to get in his car and a mountain lion was sitting next to his car. :scared::scared::scared:

Ew, now we have to start a mountain lion "urban legend" thread (or rural legend). Lol!

Now what do you take if you do a few day long ones? We want to start hiking, I need it for exercise (I am a larger person and need to get active). Also it is a great way for us to spend time as a family. Now with a little one I don't expect him to carry much of anything, my teenage son can carry what he needs, and dh and myself with carry our stuff and the little ones stuff. I don't want to over do it and end up with a pack that is just too much weight and full of unnecessary items. Also we will have a small dog with us.

We went a few years ago on a couple day one. My little guy was so small then that we stuck to roads and such so he could ride his 4wheeler. We ended up with way too much stuff and it was a hassle. This time we want to stick to being on foot and pack way lighter.

Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on a great shoe? I am not too hot on ones over my ankle, but I think it would be wise for me to try them. I need something that has great support, comfortable and light.

My family and I hike and camp. I can't really answer most of your questions since my husband is the mastermind behind our trips. :D He just recently started a blog about hiking/camping with the family since we always have people asking us how they can get started. The link is in my siggie.

I'll ask him to weigh in on all your questions. He loves to share his passion for getting families outdoors.

We love hiking as a family. Our hikes are usually shorter meanderings, but when we are on vacation we will do longer hikes. For a longer (all day) hike, we might choose to walk to a certain, "fun" destination (like a beach), play at that destination for a good long while, and then walk back.

What to bring:

--Rain gear (even if it's just a few large trash bags). You can purchase really nice rain gear at camping or sporting good stores. You can buy super-light, super-durable suits that are fairly expensive, or heavy vinyl or plastic suits that are cheaper but heavy, or super-cheap disposables. Either way, staying DRY is key to staying WARM, so always bring some sort of protection.

--Water. Everyone carries some, even the little guy.

--Food. A judicious combination of protein and fruit is key. Oranges travel really, really well, though apples also hold up well. Often we also pack nuts, boiled eggs, jerky, or pbjs.

Make sure everyone's feet are well shod (no flip-flops). For a longer hike we like to wear two pairs of thin socks--that way the friction is between the socks, rather than only on your skin, so this reduces blisters.

Everyone should carry a backpack, even your little guy. We usually also require everyone to tie a sweatshirt around the waist as well.

So . . . food, water, rain protection. That's it.

As for shoes for you, go to a really good camping/sporting goods store like REI and get a salesman who really knows his stuff to help fit you.

My family and I hike and camp. I can't really answer most of your questions since my husband is the mastermind behind our trips. :D He just recently started a blog about hiking/camping with the family since we always have people asking us how they can get started. The link is in my siggie.

I'll ask him to weigh in on all your questions. He loves to share his passion for getting families outdoors.

love the blog!

We ... filter water. This saves on weight.

i spent a good part of trip planning for big bend wishing we could filter water... no guaranteed water source. :(

I can't believe i forgot about a first aid kit in this thread, but then, I almost always have a half a tube of triple antibiotic and bandaids in my pocket...

We love to hike and to backpack (overnight hiking). Backpacking is a MUCH bigger ordeal! :) We're doing a weeklong trip this summer for the first time with the kids. Longest we've done with them previously has been 2 nights, but dh & I backpacked A LOT prior to kids.

Tips:

- Be comfortable hiking first.

- Plan on short distances for your first backpacking trips until you have a feel for everyone's stamina when carrying weight.

- It's not much more work/stuff to pack for 2-3 nights than 1 night. I'd never plan a trip shorter than 2 nights. The in-between days & nights are the pay off for the work getting packed/hiking in/setting up camp + the reverse at the end.

- Don't plan "loop" trips (multiple stops) until you've done a couple single-camp trips. Loops are fun, but they add to the work since you have to set up & tear down camp multiple times. Instead, choose a single destination for your camp site, and then do day hikes (no/little gear to carry!) on your days there.

- Kids under 10 should just carry a light day pack with their own 'lovie' and a few tasty snacks, plus a water bottle. I'd cap the wieght of any pack at 10% of bodyweight for a child under 10. (An adult can generally carry 25% pretty readily, even more if they are very fit. Dh used to carry packs weighing abt 30% of body weight, even at very high elevations & long distances. . . I would limit my packs to more like 20-25%.) Any child old enough to walk on their own can carry a very small pack for much/most of the time.

- This is obvious, but, don't carry junk you don't need.

- Limit games to a single set of dice (there are many good games to play with 5 or 6 dice.) The kids will entertain themselves in the creeks, woods, etc.

Some Essential Gear IME:

+ dry tent

+ ground cloth for under tent

+ sleeping bags

+ ground pads for under bags

+ cook stove & fuel

+ cook pots

+ eating dishes/utensils

+ water filter

+ water bottles

+ lighters for fire starting

+ dry warm sleeping clothes for everyone (long johns serve double duty)

+ Rope & bag for hanging food stuffs & garbage (and knowhow! practice!) if bears are at all an issue.

Favorite Foods:

+ Rice a ROni or Pasta Roni (look at directions & choose ones w/ short cook times to save fuel)

+ dried veggies (use dehydrator if you have one) to add to Rice a Roni or Pasta Roni

+ dried soup mixes

+ Pasta Salad (plus cucumber if you eat it first day or two and can spare the weight)

+ trail mix

+ Can't Belive It's Not Butter squeezy butter (lasts for 10+ days at air temp in cool high elevations -- 40s at night, 70s day)

+ pancake mix (+ syrup. . ..mmmmm)

+ bagels (fry in squeezy butter. . .mmmmm)

+ String Cheese (never had it go bad, for over a week at air temps above)

+ Powdered drink mixes (not sugar free, you want the sugar!)

+ Granola bars

+ meat jerky or slim jims

TIP: Extend the shelf life of perishables by freezing before the trip (hard freeze to 0), then transport in a cooler, then unload to your pack from the cooler when you are literally hitting the trail. (Breakfast sausage for morning 1! Steaks for Night 1! MMMM!)

TIP: Don't carry excess packaging! Wasted weight. Empty boxes into ziplocs, with cutout from box of preparation instructions.

TIP: Burn your paper trash so you don't have to cart it out.

TIP: Plan meals that use perishables for the first 24 hours or so, then paring down to simpler dry stuff at the end of the trip. In cooler places, you can make perishables last much longer. In high mtns of UT we could (and plan to again this summer) make squeeze margarine, eggs, veggies, last all week. In a hot place, you'd be lucky to get more than a day. . . (Keep them in a cool, shady place, obviously.)

TIP: Be SURE you have all the cooking staples, utensils, etc that you'll need. (Oil, salt, something to flip pancakes, etc.) A dry run of cooking is a good idea if this is very new to you. So, maybe carry cooking gear on a day hike & cook a hot lunch, etc.

Nice gear IME:

+ pillow (that's me, lol)

+ chair thingy to turn a thermarest into a camp chair.

+ fire started doodads of some sort (wax based, etc.)

Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep all in mind when getting ready.

See I guess I should have stated backpacking instead huh? Well either way we will be doing both. We camp yearly and well camping is one thing, having to carry it all is another.

I will put my dehydrator to great use this year. I think I will start trying stuff out now so I know what it will be like later. Now I have mastered beef and turkey jerky, so that is a plus.

Our mountains stay pretty cool all summer so I bet I could get away with a few things.

TIP: Extend the shelf life of perishables by freezing before the trip (hard freeze to 0), then transport in a cooler, then unload to your pack from the cooler when you are literally hitting the trail. (Breakfast sausage for morning 1! Steaks for Night 1! MMMM!)

TIP: Plan meals that use perishables for the first 24 hours or so, then paring down to simpler dry stuff at the end of the trip. In cooler places, you can make perishables last much longer. In high mtns of UT we could (and plan to again this summer) make squeeze margarine, eggs, veggies, last all week. In a hot place, you'd be lucky to get more than a day. . . (Keep them in a cool, shady place, obviously.)

even in TX, if we freeze water bottles and wrap them in clothes/ sleeping bags they keep perishables cold enough for sometimes even 48 hours.... the water bottles thaw to a nice usable level: no waste. :)