Menu

Pi Day

Pi Day is coming up. Do you have plans?

I'm putting together a Pi Day Celebration at our local library and hoping we get a decent turn out. We'll discover pi through a simple measuring and calculator activity. I have some pi songs. For older kids, I have a mathematical short story written using the first 402 digits of pi (each successive word have the number of letters as the next digit of pi). I'll have games, puzzles, math manipulatives, and math mysteries available. And best of all, we'll be eating pizza pi and apple pi.

BTW, if you are local enough to want to drive out to Lacey on Pi Day, I've posted details on the WA community group.

What are you doing?

Wow, I didn't know there was a Pi Day!! That sounds like a lot of fun. If we were local to you, we'd come. I hope you have a great turnout!

Yep. Geeky types like to celebrate it on 3/14. It is sometimes celebrated on July 22nd, since dates are sometimes written date then month...so 22/7.

Sorry, but I am clueless! Can someone fill me in? :tongue_smilie:

3.14 is the approximation for the mathematical symbol pi. So on March 14th (or 3/14), mathy people like to celebrate with Pi Day. Pi Day often includes anything related to circles or a play on the word pi. So, pizza pi, apple pi, learning about circles, and playing math games are all acceptable pi day activities.

3.14 is the approximation for the mathematical symbol pi. So on March 14th (or 3/14), mathy people like to celebrate with Pi Day. Pi Day often includes anything related to circles or a play on the word pi. So, pizza pi, apple pi, learning about circles, and playing math games are all acceptable pi day activities.

Oh, how fun! My oldest is only seven and in second grade, so we haven't covered pi yet. Maybe I can find a library book or two and intro it. Thanks!

Oh, how fun! My oldest is only seven and in second grade, so we haven't covered pi yet. Maybe I can find a library book or two and intro it. Thanks!

Google or check Amazon for "Sir Cumference". There's a whole series of math books like Sir Cumference and the First Round Table and Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi.

To discover pi, measure the circumference cylinders of difference diameters (ie. 32oz can, 15oz can, a soda can) with a string, then measure the diameter with a string. Measure both and divide the circumference by the diameter. After several, you'll notice a pattern. Then you can talk about how this happens in every circle no matter what size, and that mathematicians gave this number a symbol, which we call pi.

Pi day is DD's birthday. So we'll be having pie to celebrate her birthday. I love that she was born on Pi day, one of my favorite little math facts. We don't do a lot with Pi yet since both of mine are young, but we do celebrate every year with pie.

I'm putting together a Pi Day Celebration at our local library and hoping we get a decent turn out. We'll discover pi through a simple measuring and calculator activity. I have some pi songs. For older kids, I have a mathematical short story written using the first 402 digits of pi (each successive word have the number of letters as the next digit of pi). I'll have games, puzzles, math manipulatives, and math mysteries available. And best of all, we'll be eating pizza pi and apple pi.

BTW, if you are local enough to want to drive out to Lacey on Pi Day, I've posted details on the WA community group.

What are you doing?

It is ds's birthday...my math major :D

Mostly we celebrate with PIE! My kids LOVE pie.

It's also SO's birthday, as well as another "holiday" I won't mention, and I am making a big production / joke of it.

I am making peppermint pies and serving them in honor of Pi Day, then doing something inappropriate and humorous for the other day, and finally bringing out a cake for SO's birthday. Teehee.

What are you doing?

Apparently I'll be meeting you on Pi Day (which also happens to be my birthday!).

Guest Dulcimeramy

Did you not learn about Pi in school, yourself?

Did you not learn about Pi in school, yourself?

I know my intro to pi in school was along the lines of "This symbol is called pi. You use it to find the area of a circle. Substitute 3.14 for pi to do the math."

Google or check Amazon for "Sir Cumference". There's a whole series of math books like Sir Cumference and the First Round Table and Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi.

To discover pi, measure the circumference cylinders of difference diameters (ie. 32oz can, 15oz can, a soda can) with a string, then measure the diameter with a string. Measure both and divide the circumference by the diameter. After several, you'll notice a pattern. Then you can talk about how this happens in every circle no matter what size, and that mathematicians gave this number a symbol, which we call pi.

I checked these books out from our library. I will print your explanation out and give it and the books to dh to teach. I'll bake the pie! :D