Menu

All About Reading is for sale

mo2

Guest aquiverfull
Looks ADORABLE but wow that's a lot of MONEY for learning to read . . . and that is Pre-Level 1. Eeeeks. How many levels will there be? I will absolutely resist the cuteness :001_smile:.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was high. If it's going to be a lot of levels, yes that will add up quickly. But boy do I agree..... such impressive packaging!!

Looks ADORABLE but wow that's a lot of MONEY for learning to read . . . and that is Pre-Level 1. Eeeeks. How many levels will there be? I will absolutely resist the cuteness :001_smile:.

I thought the exact same thing! I also think is looks kind of gimicky. I personally like straight forward without all the fluff;)

I have to admit that I thought the price was a little high, too, but we love AAS and can't wait to use AAR!

I think the price is high too. But I have been waiting SO LONG for AAR to come out. We love AAS. I can't decide if I should go ahead and buy or wait for someone (like you) to review it for us. ;)

I'm not sure how many levels there will be....anyone know?

The initial cost may seem steep, but I'm sure some of those items won't be re-purchased in each level. For instance you wouldn't need the dividers or box for the next level. I'm sure that just like AAS somethings will be a one time purchase.

I ordered mine this morning and can't wait to get it.

Guest aquiverfull

I don't know whether there are beginning readers, but I don't think so. It's Pre-Level. The Level 1 readers are already out on the AAS website but the AAR program for Level 1 hasn't been made yet.

From the description on the site, it seems that this pre-level is just to prepare your child to be ready to begin reading. I think it will teach some phonograms but not all. I think someone said the phonograms taught in this program are not as intensive as the ones taught in the AAS Level 1 program. Again, I don't know all of this for sure. I'm just going by what I had been reading on theChatterbee.

The initial cost may seem steep, but I'm sure some of those items won't be re-purchased in each level. For instance you wouldn't need the dividers or box for the next level. I'm sure that just like AAS somethings will be a one time purchase.

I ordered mine this morning and can't wait to get it.

Good point. I'm trying to decide between the basic and deluxe set. I don't really think I need the puppet, you know? But I'd like the box. So maybe I'll just order the basic kit plus the box separately. Hmm.

Guest aquiverfull

Thought I'd add this here in case some one misses this information from the other thread:

Official response on the ChatterBee is 8 levels including this one, but they aren't all for teaching phonics. This is going to turn into a reading/comprehension/fluency program that goes up into high school apparently. I'm not sure how many levels they'll take to teach the phonics though.

Thank you for the link.

Are there any beginning readers with this?

I'm thinking no because it is written for Preschoolers/K but, wanted to be sure.

Thank you.

I'm not sure what the books specifically are,probably not readers, but it does come with two hardback books.

Good point. I'm trying to decide between the basic and deluxe set. I don't really think I need the puppet, you know? But I'd like the box. So maybe I'll just order the basic kit plus the box separately. Hmm.

Well when I was looking at the picture posted on the chatterbee last night, my 5.5 year old saw it and asked what it was. I said it was a new reading program I was going to be getting and he said "Cool is that a puppet" when I said yes, he started singing "I'm getting a zebra puppet, he's going to teach me to read", thus I ordered the set with the puppet, so I don't break his heart.

Does anyone know when the Level 1 will be out? I have a beginning K'er and although it's steep I have planned on getting it for her, but I don't want to be waiting around for it for long. She'll blow through the Pre-level 1, I'm sure. We've already started in OPG and we're on lesson 30 or 35.

Well when I was looking at the picture posted on the chatterbee last night, my 5.5 year old saw it and asked what it was. I said it was a new reading program I was going to be getting and he said "Cool is that a puppet" when I said yes, he started singing "I'm getting a zebra puppet, he's going to teach me to read", thus I ordered the set with the puppet, so I don't break his heart.

Well, of course, then you would have to get the puppet. :) I, on the other hand, have not shown my 4yo the picture, so he has no knowledge of said puppet.

Guest aquiverfull
I'm not sure what the books specifically are,probably not readers, but it does come with two hardback books.

From the picture that I saw yesterday, the two readers are going to be "Lizard Lou: a collection of rhymes old and new" and The ZigZag Zebra: A rhyming Alphabet". I think they will both be read alouds.

I went ahead and splurged. I love AAS so much! I was on the fence, and then I saw the money back guarantee. You have a year, no questions asked to return and get a refund. :lol:

Forgot about that. Ok, you talked me into it!

Hmmm what to do about my 4 almost 5 year old. I don't know if we should do this level right now or wait until fall when he officially starts K. I was planning on starting him on Saxon Phonics K in the fall.

Wish I could see the samples.

Decisions. Decisions. LOL :tongue_smilie:

Does anyone know when the Level 1 will be out? I have a beginning K'er and although it's steep I have planned on getting it for her, but I don't want to be waiting around for it for long. She'll blow through the Pre-level 1, I'm sure. We've already started in OPG and we're on lesson 30 or 35.

They are shooting for June for Level 1.

Guest aquiverfull

Samples are up this morning and I noticed they lowered the price of the kits by about $10. Now, I have to look over the samples and see if it's something I could use or not.

Guest aquiverfull

Oh well, the samples did me in. I caved and bought it!:w00t: My girls just had so much fun with the free samples and I figure this will get used by 3 kids so that's how I justified it.

I'm one who thought AAS wasn't that expensive but I do think AAR is. Maybe the difference is I know AAR will only be used with one child and that child already knows her upper and lower case letters and the primary letter sounds. I love the look of AAR in the samples and think it would be wonderful for dd, but that's a lot of money for something that will be about half review.

Anyone know details on what's covered in each level? It looks like Pre-level is letter recognition and letter sounds. Does Level 1 start with blending? I really wish I could justify the cost.

Anyone that's on the Chatterbee know how frequently the levels are going to come out? My son is already reading simple readers and we are doing AAS so I don't want a lot of repetition but I've been looking for something that will incorporate reading comprehension in a year or so. Those levels won't hurt so much since both younger kids can use them.

I went ahead and splurged. I love AAS so much! I was on the fence, and then I saw the money back guarantee. You have a year, no questions asked to return and get a refund. :lol:

Okay, you almost have me convinced. I think the program would work well for my dd....but I already have Get Ready for the Code.....but this looks so neat.....but I'd have to convince dh to spend that much money for one level of pre-reading. AAAAHHHHHH.

Anyone that's on the Chatterbee know how frequently the levels are going to come out? My son is already reading simple readers and we are doing AAS so I don't want a lot of repetition but I've been looking for something that will incorporate reading comprehension in a year or so. Those levels won't hurt so much since both younger kids can use them.

Okay, you almost have me convinced. I think the program would work well for my dd....but I already have Get Ready for the Code.....but this looks so neat.....but I'd have to convince dh to spend that much money for one level of pre-reading. AAAAHHHHHH.

Here's Merry's response for the same question.

Nukeswife is correct, the *tentative* date for level 1 is June, and there are not dates for the others yet.

I went ahead and got the deluxe package but looking at the table of contents it will definitely be for my 4 yo. It actually looks perfect for her. She needs to learn letters and sounds and the phonemic awareness activities in there look great for her. It does seem a bit on the expensive side but I figure it would likely resell well. I don't know that my 3 yo ds would use it with his delays so I'm basically buying it for 1 child.

I don't like the way it is titled Pre-1. Every time I see that it looks like it is for preschool through 1st grade and not just the first level.

I thought the exact same thing! I also think is looks kind of gimicky. I personally like straight forward without all the fluff;)
Some kids need the fluff. Honestly, without the readiness fluff they don't learn phonemic awareness and can't use a straight forward program.

I already have Get Ready for the Code as part of my WP program... that I spent $100 for and haven't used yet, but can't return.:glare:

Some kids need the fluff. Honestly, without the readiness fluff they don't learn phonemic awareness and can't use a straight forward program.

I already have Get Ready for the Code as part of my WP program... that I spent $100 for and haven't used yet, but can't return.:glare:

:iagree: My son needs the fluff or he just stalls out. Sorry to hear about your Get Ready for the Code stuff. My son is using book A and his fine motor skills are still pretty poor, it looks like a serial killer filled out the letters, but I did have a friend use them orally and just had the child use their finger to make the letters in sand/rice. I've thought about doing that, but think AAR will be a lot more fun for him and will help him make those connections.

Anyone know details on what's covered in each level? It looks like Pre-level is letter recognition and letter sounds. Does Level 1 start with blending? I really wish I could justify the cost.

Yes, Level 1 will start with blending. Pre-1 covers pre-reading skills. HTH!

I am a little worried that we will get the pre-level and finish it quickly. Then get level one and finish it before level 2 (and the remaining) come out. What would you do while waiting?

This is my concern as well...although...maybe once we were done with Level One we could jump right into AAS and use ETC to supplement and be ok. Not sure...I think I may have to pass, as hard as it is for me, and stick with OPG.

:lurk5:

I got the email for this last night, and I am drooling over it for my 4 year old. I will have him start kindergarten in the fall and he wants to learn to read. I think this would be perfect for him. I, too, worry about how soon level 2 will come out, though.

I am a little worried that we will get the pre-level and finish it quickly. Then get level one and finish it before level 2 (and the remaining) come out. What would you do while waiting?

Ditto.

Does anybody know how long Pre-1 will "typically" take?

Let's say you're starting from scratch with a young child who hasn't even learned the alphabet. I'm thinking of my 3.5 yo - we would start him this summer when he turns 4. Let's assume a typical young child starting from the beginning . . . would it be a one year program? Or more like a 3 month program? Any ideas?

It seems like many of us are worried about the availability of future levels. Is there even a rough idea of when future levels will be released? Not an exact release month, but is there a plan in place to do, say, one or two levels a year?

I plan on using ours as soon as it arrives, my dd is ready and chomping at the bit! I have never done any reviews before, but I will try. 2 other things

1. They lowered the price by a few dollars. I got an e-mail informing me of the price change and that I would be getting a partially refund. THis has never happened before. I have a habit of getting things RIGHT before they go on sale or the price is reduced. I have asked and NEVER been given the difference. I am shocked that their policy is that they contact you and give you back the difference.

2. Here is the return policy copied from the page for anyone interested:

My Unconditional One Year Guarantee:

If, for any reason, you are unhappy with your purchase, simply return it within one year - no questions asked - and I'll give you a complete refund of the purchase price.

I refuse to accept money from anyone who is not 100% completely satisfied with both the product purchased and our service.

Download?Id=209403

Ok . . . I just called the company and asked some of our questions. :)

The scope and sequence of AAS and AAR will line up to a large degree, but one's student will not necessarily be at the same level in each simultaneously because they realize children typically learn to read faster than they learn to spell.

So Level 1 in AAR will be similar in scope and sequence to Level 1 in AAS - mostly short vowels.

After AAR Level 1 comes out by the next school year, they plan to release AAS Level 7. After that, AAR Level 2 will come out. Their approximate time frame for the AAR Level 2 release would be roughly one year from now.

They plan to release the AAR levels approximately as quickly as they completed the AAS levels - which I think was maybe 6 levels in 4.5 years.

I hope that helps some. :)